Sponsored by:

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 04:59 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

If you want the same or better stopping as OEM with 85+% less dust, have had Carbotech on my 2014 Z51 and now on my Grand Sport. Also key, what little dust is there does not pit my wheels like OEM pads were doing unless I cleaned the wheels every 2 to 3 trips into town ~100 to ~150 miles (aggressive back road driving.) With the Carbotech, only wash my wheels when I was the car.

Also great stopping with cold pads, at least as good if not better than OEM. Important to me as at the end of my street I merge into a 4 lane highway with traffic traveling ~65+ mph then make a turn soon after onto another rural road. Apply brakes very aggressively so traffic behind does not need to slow excessively when I turn. Especially those log trucks!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-19-2018 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z51VetteFan (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 06:05 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
It is possible that there are different dimensions inside the hub area from one year to the next or even a slight bolt spacing/measurement difference as well - but again I dont know...(not the actual diameter of the rotor).
This is the change...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...odel-year.html
So basically GM went from a semi two-piece design back to a more conventional one-piece design. The cooling rings where used to close up the space on the two piece design so it was clearly flawed from the get-go. There are no size or spacing changes, notice the TSB doesn't list any parts other then rotor itself.
Lots more threads on this change around here, for example:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595618294

Check with the vendors on this forum - I'm pretty sure they will confirm the following the follow rotors which are trim / model / package based... there is only one size for the Z51:

In fact the base Stingray and the Z51 use the same size pads, the only difference is the caliper on the Z51 is mounted further out to clear the 1" larger rotors per this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...se-vs-z51.html

Since I track my car I've learned you have two choices: buy the cheapest rotors you can find because they will be ground into dust very quickly OR buy very high quality, expensive, true two-piece units to save weight and reduced heat transfer to the hubs. Unlike brake pads where each brand feels, dust, sounds and bites differently rotors are basically just slabs of iron you grind away. Other then directional vanes, cryo-treating or some plating to prevent rust on the hubs there is basically no difference between rotor brands. On a street driven car you can put the cheapest Centric (they make StopTech BTW) units on and be totally safe with excellent performance. Drilled rotors tend to crack under stress on track so its best to stay with just slotted if you plan on working them hard.

Checking Rock Auto the fully cast (IE: 1 piece units with better cooling & no rings) Power Stops for the Z51 are cheaper then older 2 piece units by $33 for the fronts. GM recommends the 1 piece design now, so that is what I would go with.
John Micheal Henry (11-26-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 06:18 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

Certainly appreciate that info - so would you know why Power Stop would even make/sell the older version of rotor if GM says every year and model can upgrade to the newer 1-piece version? Clearly you can see this version still has the holes in the rotor...

Here is what one of the new Power Stop rotors looks like that I just purchased this week:

Old 11-19-2018, 06:30 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Certainly appreciate that info - so would you know why Power Stop would even make/sell the older version of rotor if GM says every year and model can upgrade to the newer 1-piece version?
No clue really, so just guessing here - but likely Power Stop is attempting to conform to the original equipment spec. Its a direct replacement, so your cooling rings would still work as GM intended.

Good news is the two piece design is likely slightly lighter. Once again if not tracking the car I wouldn't worry about it at all. Power Stop clearly makes a good product, I bet they just recommend what their computer system tells them is the correct part number for your model year.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:24 AM
shakinrock
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

On my C6, I did all 4 corners for $100 (pads only of course). I do not see a need to replace rotors unless I am getting signs that they have warped.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:49 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Another vote for the 1521's...
Old 11-21-2018, 10:44 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

It was stated here that the Z51 and base car have the same size brake pads (post #22). If you want the cheapest solution just put base car pads on your Z51 since they are ceramic and create very little dust.
JMII (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 09:51 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Are there any reports on the Autozone Gold Ceramic? I don't think there is anything wrong with them but there is no tested use on them like the other two.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:07 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I have used the Autozone ceramic rotors on other cars and they work fine. On my Z06 I have the Carbotech 1521s. On my new ATS-V I put on the Z26 Powerstops. So far no bronzing of the rotors but on the ATS-V they are not quite as visible given the wheel design as they are with my forged monoblock wheels on the Z. I suppose I didn't mind spending $440 for pads on a $100,000 car, but on a $75,000 car I decided to go with the $140 solution. I don't really think it makes all that much difference whether they are Carbotech, Hawk, Powerstop, or other national brand. The Carbon Ceramic simply dusts much less than the Carbon Metallic pads. Now all these recommendations are for street driving not track use. That is a totally different kettle of fish.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:24 AM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 157 Posts

I posted this thread on the Carbotech 1521s. I was able to get them for $301.18 shipped.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598385799
65h/ddelete (11-24-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:34 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by wrecker3
Power Stop pads will turn your rotors bronze.
Let's be honest, Wrecker, most owners don't have this problem. You know that by now, I'm sure.
Mayor111 (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 12:56 AM
WhiteRocket
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the same thing, just a few people getting brown rotors. So I bought the Z26 pads, big mistake! Less than 150 miles and my rotors are brown, looks like ther’re covered with rust. They are going in the trash as soon as car comes out of hibernation.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:37 AM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts

I just ordered 1521s. $301 out the door.

Now...rotors. I have 41000 miles. Original rotors. Getting new tires tomorrow...the AS3+. When they have the rims off I'll have them look. Should I be expecting rotor replacement soon? I've never tracked the car.

I haven't been told I need brakes yet but I'm expecting it which is why I ordered the pads...ready for the news. LOL.

Last edited by Jaykoh-Z51; 11-26-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:19 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
It was stated here that the Z51 and base car have the same size brake pads (post #22). If you want the cheapest solution just put base car pads on your Z51 since they are ceramic and create very little dust.
They are the same basic shape but the Z51 pads have the counterweights.

Base

Base

Z51

Old 11-26-2018, 10:25 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
They are the same basic shape but the Z51 pads have the counterweights.
Do the counter weights really do anything? IE: lower vibration & noise? I'm sure GM put them on for a reason. Do other vehicles use this design? I know most pads have a thin shim on the backer to ensure vibrations don't generate too much squeal.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:02 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
Do the counter weights really do anything? IE: lower vibration & noise? I'm sure GM put them on for a reason. Do other vehicles use this design? I know most pads have a thin shim on the backer to ensure vibrations don't generate too much squeal.
Brembo started this in 2010 or so likely as a result of squeal complaints from all of the newer cars with OEM Brembo setups that were not really sports cars. Shims help but certain Brembo cars really make noise. (WRX STI, older G35's in particular)

I would expect the weight to damp (quiet) a specific vibration or range of vibrations (squeal) created by a specific pad compound in a specific caliper with a specific rotor etc. They would not likely do it if it did not work. OEM parts are paid for down to the penny.
Brembo will also sometimes use 'wrap around' shims that cover the ends of the pads where they press against the caliper under braking.

In the case of the C7 Z51 versus the base model - the pad compound is different (more aggressive) as well as the rotor (2 piece)/caliper (larger) and probably other items. So it made noise and so they 'weighted' it.

What makes less sense is an aftermarket pad with the same damping design. The back plate, shim, compound, etc are all different so an expectation that the weight will cancel the noise if the noise even exists is not reasonable. Centric is not buying a Z51, making counterweight brake pads and testing for noise obviously.

Some of the larger Porsche and AMG designs are clearly well developed - in this pick they have hooks instead of holes, counterweights, and a wrap around shim.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:39 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
In the case of the C7 Z51 versus the base model - the pad compound is different (more aggressive) as well as the rotor (2 piece)/caliper (larger) and probably other items. So it made noise and so they 'weighted' it.

What makes less sense is an aftermarket pad with the same damping design. The back plate, shim, compound, etc are all different so an expectation that the weight will cancel the noise if the noise even exists is not reasonable.
Good info, thanks. Seems for most people using the OE base pads or a good aftermarket pad on the Z51 would solve those dust and noise complaints. The counterweight tabs make it look like 18" wheel up front would never fit on a Z51.

I had a Nissan 350Z that I upgraded to the Akebono setup and certain pad / rotor combinations were very noisy. For example Hawks in particular were terrible. My wife's car is an Infiniti Q60 (same platform as the Z) with the standard brakes and they only squeal in reverse. To me brake squeal is worse then dust!

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pads

Old 11-26-2018, 04:30 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII

They are called mass dampers. If you notice they are not fixed and can move. They are used in a number of applications to counter natural frequency vibrations etc. You see them on power lines and I recall adding one to stop a water pipe vibration in the basement, years ago! It worked. Below is a very large one, some 900 tons that hangs from near the top of this 101 story building in Taipei!

Having said all that have had OEM pads on my 2014 that had them and squealed like a stuck pig. My Carbotech pads don’t and have not ever heard any noise in 3 years on my 2014 Z51 or almost 2 on my Grand Sport.

F

Last edited by JerryU; 11-26-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:32 PM
ahero4eternity
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

1521 Carbotechs.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:40 PM
Roastum1
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Z26 powerstops. Used them on my camaro now put them on the vette. Still not cheap at 75.00 a set. Come on tney are brake pads not gold. No dust whats so ever.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads