Sponsored by:

High Speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 01:27 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Range_Rat

As remarkable and performance capable as these cars are, the track is without question the best place to go to prove your metal, and demonstrate your skill and courage as a driver. Trying it anywhere else is risky business at best.
Be careful when you advocate safety over stupidity. Not all of our forum members subscribe to the notion of safety first. On more than one occasion I have been chastised for advocating even very basic safety items on highly modified vehicles. Public highways are not the place to attempt terminal velocity trials.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I’ve only had my C7 for two weeks and haven’t had it much past the speed limit. Do I THINK the car will hit 185? The potential is certainly there. Will I ever see it - probably not.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:51 PM
thompstl1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't think any of our cars with a stage two spoiler will go 200 mph. This is the reason I think that;

Last year at the Texas Mile I drove a 2018 ZL1 Camaro ( I now have a Carbon 65 Z06). The Camaro would go about 175 mph in the mile, but was still gaining speed. Note the Camaro's rear spoiler is not nearly as aggressive as our Z06's have. My friends both had C7 Z06 Corvettes with the stage 2 rear spoilers. They could only make it to ~168 mph in the mile and both said it appeared their cars were near top speed at 168. If not top speed, then at least they were gaining speed very slowly.

After the first day, we removed the spoilers on the two Z06's then they both went in the mid-high 170's in the mile, and both were gaining speed at the end of the mile. In fact, one friend held the accelerator down past the mile and reached 180 pretty easily.

So while our cars may reach 200 mph, it takes a LONG way to get them there. Even the abandon runways we were running on didn't have enough track to reach top speed and still be able to shutdown (and least they didn't seem to). I don't think the cars will reach speeds above 175mph without removing the rear spoiler. To reach 200 mph, perhaps even the front aero parts would have to be removed too... but unsure about that.

Last edited by thompstl1; 11-29-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:33 PM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbletop409
Be careful when you advocate safety over stupidity. Not all of our forum members subscribe to the notion of safety first. On more than one occasion I have been chastised for advocating even very basic safety items on highly modified vehicles. Public highways are not the place to attempt terminal velocity trials.
Gotcha --- and I understand what you are saying.

All I know is that with a top speed run in uncontrolled (open road) circumstances, all kinds of things can pop up in an instant that will turn an exhilarating experience into a terrible tragedy before it even registers. A simple example (fabricated for illustration purposes):

You have the pedal down on a straight run with good visibility on both sides of the road --- speedo shows 175, and:

a) a pheasant flies up across the road out of a drainage culvert.
b) a couple of racoons or deer decide to cross the road from a grassy area near the road side.
c) a section of paving that you are unaware of has recently raised or disintegrated along one of the road seams due to heat.

I personally don't care if someone wants to go for it … just so they know that situations addressable at more modest speeds can easily be terminal when pushing the envelope.

Last edited by Range_Rat; 11-29-2018 at 03:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
4thC4at60 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 05:36 PM
v.vet's Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 115 Posts

Doubtful my '19 Grand Sport will hit more than 175mph from what I've heard. I have hit low triple digit speeds and find it more stable than my C6Z. I did hit 158mph in my C6Z (rated at 198 mph) in the west (location unnamed). And yes it is amazing how fast the real estate goes by! And yes my wife was with me taking pics of my speedometer and prodding me to go faster. Geeez. That was fast enough.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:27 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by thompstl1

I don't think any of our cars with a stage two spoiler will go 200 mph. This is the reason I think that;

Last year at the Texas Mile I drove a 2018 ZL1 Camaro ( I now have a Carbon 65 Z06). The Camaro would go about 175 mph in the mile, but was still gaining speed. Note the Camaro's rear spoiler is not nearly as aggressive as our Z06's have. My friends both had C7 Z06 Corvettes with the stage 2 rear spoilers. They could only make it to ~168 mph in the mile and both said it appeared their cars were near top speed at 168. If not top speed, then at least they were gaining speed very slowly.

After the first day, we removed the spoilers on the two Z06's then they both went in the mid-high 170's in the mile, and both were gaining speed at the end of the mile. In fact, one friend held the accelerator down past the mile and reached 180 pretty easily.

So while our cars may reach 200 mph, it takes a LONG way to get them there. Even the abandon runways we were running on didn't have enough track to reach top speed and still be able to shutdown (and least they didn't seem to). I don't think the cars will reach speeds above 175mph without removing the rear spoiler. To reach 200 mph, perhaps even the front aero parts would have to be removed too... but unsure about that.
I am reasonably certain that my 2014 Stingray, Z51, M7 car was quite a bit faster on the top end than my Carbon 65 Grand sport. The Aero 2 package adds lots of down force, which is drag.
At 80 mph in the Z51 I could get 29~30 mpg all day long
At 80 mph in the Grand Sport I get 24 mpg.
Drag is the difference, both cars had same engine, transmission, trim package and rear end. Tires and aero package are the big difference.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:50 AM
thompstl1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
I am reasonably certain that my 2014 Stingray, Z51, M7 car was quite a bit faster on the top end than my Carbon 65 Grand sport. The Aero 2 package adds lots of down force, which is drag.
At 80 mph in the Z51 I could get 29~30 mpg all day long
At 80 mph in the Grand Sport I get 24 mpg.
Drag is the difference, both cars had same engine, transmission, trim package and rear end. Tires and aero package are the big difference.

Yes, my point exactly!
My 2018 Camaro ZL1 (A-10) was faster on top end than my friends Z06's, or my C65 Z06... UNTIL we take the rear spoilers off our Corvettes! Then the drag coefficient of the Corvette becomes less than the Camaro and then they win on top speed. The Camaro, with it's limited rear spoiler drag, was about 175 mph in the mile. The Corvettes with stage two spoilers was about 168-170 in the mile. The Corvettes without a rear spoiler were about 178-179 in the mile.

I read the ZR-1 made 190 in the mile. I would be interested to know if that was with/without a rear spoiler. I'm pretty sure it was without.

I'll also mention in the Corvette (with the rear spoiler on), the first thing you notice when you let off the gas at the end of the mile, is how quick you slow down. It's amazing actually, like the brakes are on. You will actually move forward in the seat from the force of the wind slowing the car down.

All that to say, when I read about the top speeds of our cars, I've become convinced the speeds are achieved without spoilers, although I never notice that written in the articles.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:06 AM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Say it ain't so..
Old 12-01-2018, 01:22 AM
TCRVETTES
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

14 Stingray Z51 M7 ......5th gear 5300 RPM still climbing.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our previous Corvettes were 1967, 2001, 2006, 2009.
In each of them I got close to the absolute top speed at least once, while out in the middle of nowhere.

I hadn't wound out our 2017 when we drove to Pahrump to do the Ron Fellows school early this year. Arrived a day early and headed for a day in Death Valley.
Along the way there is a deserted section of straight and smooth road, which I figured would be a perfect place to let this one run fast. For some reason I can't explain, I just didn't want to do it. A few miles later we stopped for gas, and discovered the right-rear tire damage pictured here. I have no idea when or where that happened, we hadn't hit any big potholes and there was no vibration in the car. The rim was not bent or damaged in any way.
Yes, it's a runflat. But if it came apart at 185, I doubt that would do any good at all.
So I still haven't topped out the current car and am not sure if I ever will.

Sorry to rain on the parade, fast is fun, but the stakes are high.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 12-01-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: High Speed