Change Battery without loosing memory? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change Battery without loosing memory?

Old 12-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Bucks Centennial

Default Change Battery without loosing memory?

Question. If I use the factory battery maintainer plugged into the outlet while I chance battery in my Convertible C7 will I maintain my memory or do I have to buy a memory minder? Thanks for any input from someone who knows.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bucks Centennial For This Useful Post:
MHE-Plex (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 12:42 PM
KenHorse
Obama, the worst POS ever
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Which memories?
Old 12-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Bucks Centennial

Seats, radio, etc. etc
Old 12-14-2018, 12:50 PM
KenHorse
Obama, the worst POS ever
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Bucks Centennial View Post
Seats, radio, etc. etc
Radio memories are non volatile I believe but you will have to redo seat memories, window indexing, etc
Old 12-14-2018, 01:19 PM
joemessman
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,323 Times in 888 Posts

I had to reconfigure the Driver Information center (DIC) settings as far as my default views. Also some Infotainment settings had to be reset. Others I had set were not changed. Go figure. Some have reported that nothing changed.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:30 PM
C7-Vette
CF Senior Member

A lot of flash memory in the C7 , just like the C6. The only one you should lose is the window indexing, easily fixed.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:41 PM
lbzraptor
CF Senior Member

They make a cheap thing that plugs into the cigarette lighter that will retain the memory. The charger that plugs into the lighter probably will work also
Old 12-14-2018, 01:48 PM
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,043 Posts

When I changed my battery, I only had to reindex the windows. Absolutely no need to do anything special. My battery was disconnected for over an hour.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:49 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C7-Vette View Post
A lot of flash memory in the C7 , just like the C6. The only one you should lose is the window indexing, easily fixed.

I agree. Won't lose jack changing out the battery but you will need to re-index the windows.

Elmer
The Following User Says Thank You to eboggs_jkvl For This Useful Post:
owc6 (12-15-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 03:17 PM
Avanti
CF Senior Member

I have a typical 9-volt (battery equipped) "memory" maintainer that plugs into a fulltime-on (rear on the C7) "cigarette lighter" plug.

Though I have not had the need to use it on the C7 I have used it many times on other vehicles including recently on my C5... again. I don't have a picture of the thing but I'm sure it was originally from Walmart. I would, however, suggest that if anyone has one of these and have had it for a long time, I'd check the voltage of the 9-volt battery each time before using it.

Btw, it works exactly as advertised. All the best.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:35 PM
c7steve

i have a snap on memory saver EESM500 ,,, it is worth every penny, especially if you live where you get E checked, you wont lose any codes if you need to disconnect or change battery.

below is a link

https://www.ebay.com/p/Snap-on-EESM5...1738677&chn=ps
Old 12-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Bucks Centennial

Originally Posted by Bucks Centennial View Post
Question. If I use the factory battery maintainer plugged into the outlet while I chance battery in my Convertible C7 will I maintain my memory or do I have to buy a memory minder? Thanks for any input from someone who knows.
Okay, let me try again. What I am asking is if the $100 option Battery Maintainer that came with my C7 will keep voltage to the various instruments that need it while I am changing out the battery?? Has anyone changed a battery while using the GM supplied battery maintainer? If so, what was the result? Did you have to reset any of the functions like window indexing, seat, etc. or did they stay set as they were?
Old 12-14-2018, 04:52 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Why worry about losing everything, you won't. If you "save" having to re-index the windows, this is what you save.

Window Indexing and Express-Up Reset
Window indexing may be required if the vehicle battery has been recharged or disconnected, or is not working. Express-up and the convertible top will not function until the windows are reset. After battery power is restored, a message or code displays in the Driver Information Center. See Driver Information Center (DIC) on page 5-23.

Once power is restored:
1. Close the doors.
2. Start the vehicle.
3. Put windows down
4. Raise each window and hold the window switch up in the fully closed position for a few seconds after the window is up.

Elmer
Old 12-14-2018, 04:52 PM
GTFD2
CF Senior Member

If the "9 volt memory keeper" in the trunk power port will keep everything the battery maintainer should do the same thing for you.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:52 PM
mountainears
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bucks Centennial
Okay, let me try again. What I am asking is if the $100 option Battery Maintainer that came with my C7 will keep voltage to the various instruments that need it while I am changing out the battery?? Has anyone changed a battery while using the GM supplied battery maintainer? If so, what was the result? Did you have to reset any of the functions like window indexing, seat, etc. or did they stay set as they were?
Starting to sound like no one knows the answer you are looking for. For the benefit of others that may come across this thread, if you try it, please post the results.

Yea, easy to read-index windows and fix other stuff, but if you didn't have to by plugging something in that you already have, even easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to mountainears For This Useful Post:
Bucks Centennial (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 09:30 PM
redrider28075

Start the car and leave it running while you change the battery
Old 12-14-2018, 10:50 PM
lbzraptor
CF Senior Member

I have heard that doing that can kill the alternator on these new vehicles. I have replaced an alternator and the instructions that came with the alternator said specifically that the battery had to be at least 50 percent or alternator death could occur.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:11 PM
krwunlv
CF Senior Member

Attach a jump Box to the cables, disconnect from the battery while the jump box is turned on. That should provide enough power to your system while you change the battery out.

Ken
Old 12-15-2018, 12:29 AM
owc6
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainears View Post
Starting to sound like no one knows the answer you are looking for. For the benefit of others that may come across this thread, if you try it, please post the results.

Yea, easy to read-index windows and fix other stuff, but if you didn't have to by plugging something in that you already have, even easier.
At least a couple people have already answered correctly.

You will lose nothing but window indexing (maybe); no presets whatsoever. Mine has been disconnected a few times, and only has needed re-indexing about 50% of the time. Seats, mirrors, radio were never affected. Also: re-indexing window ~3 seconds, hooking up something = much more time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owc6 For This Useful Post:
blkvet6 (12-16-2018), jimmie jam (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 02:54 PM
boxster99t
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl View Post
I agree. Won't lose jack changing out the battery but you will need to re-index the windows.

Elmer
With one caveat--if you live in a vehicle inspection state, don't do this immediately prior to needing an inspection because the ECM while return a number of "not ready" codes when the battery is disconnected.

I had my 2015 in because the HVAC actuator went bad, and for an inspection at the same time. Instead of doing the state inspection first, they changed out the actuator, disconnecting the battery (of course) in the process, and could not do the inspection after that. Had to drive it for a day or so and bring it back. Also, for some reason and I'm not sure why, I also lost the outside temperature reading on the first go around (don't know if that was due to the battery being disconnected or them updating the software).
The Following User Says Thank You to boxster99t For This Useful Post:
Maxie2U (12-16-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Change Battery without loosing memory?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: