Automatic or Standard? - Page 4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Automatic or Standard ?
Automatic
41.46%
Standard, I need to shift!
58.54%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic or Standard?

Old 01-12-2019, 05:31 PM
Vet Interested
CF Senior Member

What sells the most? There is your answer. Man, that was easy! Next poll.....
Old 01-12-2019, 05:44 PM
mschuyler
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,097 Times in 968 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette View Post
Thanks. Do you also think dealers know most younger people today don't drive sticks (They don't know how to, ), so they have a better chance of selling the automatics?
Both. Nationwide it's about 3% manuals so there's no good reason for a dealer to order a stick. This only counts for the USA. In the UK the percentage of sticks is much greater But inevitably, they'll change, too, if for no other reason that there won't be any more producers of manuals. There's a tipping point where manufacturers will throw in the towel. I think we're pretty close right now. Rumor is the C8 will be a DCT, which may as well be an auto, so (if true) even for the vette we're within a few months of being there and it won't be an argument except in the used car market.

Last edited by mschuyler; 01-12-2019 at 06:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mschuyler For This Useful Post:
V Vette (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 06:03 PM
V Vette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vet Interested View Post
What sells the most? There is your answer. Man, that was easy! Next poll.....
Reading Comprehension is a wonderful thing... The poll was what do you prefer (Auto/Stick).. Please READ the poll..You get an F...

Last edited by V Vette; 01-12-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:26 PM
LimeyC5
CF Senior Member

I have only had manual boxes in my Corvettes. I will have to give up on manuals in my daily drivers in the future (that 3% number mentioned above). The C8 with a DCT will be at least worth a look, as I do not consider torque converters a good option for a sports car.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:33 PM
mschuyler
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,097 Times in 968 Posts

Reading Comprehension is a wonderful thing... The poll was what do you prefer (Auto/Stick).. Please READ the poll..You get an F...
I said more or less the same thing above. It's the old adage of what I say versus what I do. If I SAY I prefer a manual, but I actually have an auto, what does that say about my true preference? OK, so there are other issues: spouse, availability, etc. but the fact is the market preference is reality and takes all the personalities out of it. So ask yourself what is more valuable? Actual sales or this poll? If GM relied on this poll to determine what kind of Vettes to make, they'd see the 55/45 ratio and say, "Wow! We better build at that ratio!" And if they did they would be screwed. About the nicest way to describe this poll is to say that it is not statistically valid. So don't be too harsh on the answers here. You said it was for fun, so let people have some.

The Following User Says Thank You to mschuyler For This Useful Post:
Vet Interested (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 PM
Vet Interested
CF Senior Member

I was pointing out that many more automatics are sold than manual so no matter what is said here, the national consensus is automatic. Just trying to give you more information that you might have overlooked.(Based on your previous threads that are polls, its obvious you like opinions).

Last edited by Vet Interested; 01-12-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:49 PM
Oneslackr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

'93 coupe - M6
'97 coupe - auto
'18 Z07 - M7 (currently)

Decided to go with the manual because:
  1. It's not a daily driver & there are lots of 2-lane hilly/twisty roads around here.
  2. Second consideration was how much using the clutch would bother my left foot (7 screws + titanium plate in it from an injury summer 2011 + constant pain). During July 2017, a year before I bought my car, I took a friends '15 M7 Z06 on a 1,200 mile road trip to see how well I liked the M7 & to find out how much using the clutch bothered me. It does bother my foot & everyone said buy an A8. But I decided I could live with it since it wasn't going to be a daily driver & my foot hurts even if I'm not driving the car so what difference does it make.
  3. Odds are the C7s will be the last generation to offer a manual.
Though I'm looking forward to the C8 w/DCT.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:56 PM
V Vette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vet Interested View Post

I was pointing out that many more automatics are sold than manual so no matter what is said here, the national consensus is automatic. Just trying to give you more information that you might have overlooked.(Based on your previous threads that are polls, its obvious you like opinions).
Understood, but your post clearly says different.. All is good, thanks
Old 01-12-2019, 08:19 PM
stief

Quite frankly, I dont care what you do, but I refuse to buy a sports car without a manual. .3 means nothing to me. Is all about what I enjoy as it should be for everyone.

Last edited by stief; 01-12-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:27 AM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,703 Times in 3,252 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've had both manual and automatic equipped Corvettes and really have no problem with owning either one. My last two, a 2003 coupe and now a 2014 coupe have been automatics and I have enjoyed each one just as much as I did the manual transmission cars. It comes down to buy whatever suits your driving needs.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:05 AM
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by fugly1 View Post
CF members are not a random sample of vette owners, and are probably more likely to be manual trans fans.
ALL day.

..Another factoid; the majority are either elderly, or pushing Social Security aged. Still, the M7 choice is skewed very much upwards, vs the National average.

..The Chevy dealers are ordering what GM manufactures. Ordering in over 80% automatics says nothing about what owners here prefer.

..There's several non-C7 owners here. Their opinions don't count RE: C7s......

​​​​​​​.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:25 AM
TKgs2010
CF Senior Member

New ZO6 here, ordered it with an M7, previous C6 GS was an M6. For a sports car as long as they build them with manuals, that's what I'll buy, but for a sedan or pickup an automatic works for me.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:26 AM
mdolandese
CF Senior Member

Very easy for me. If I had to daily drive my Z in Chicago bumper to bumper everyday for work I probably would of been forced to get the auto or buy another car for work. The fun factory is definitely in the manual rowing through the gears. I can't understand how anyone can say that an auto is FUNNER to drive then a stick. It may be faster buy a second or so, but who cares unless you track your car which I don't. I also think in this day and age majority of people don't even know how to drive a stick if they wanted too. I vote for the manual
Old 01-13-2019, 08:17 AM
Barnwood

Ordered my Grand Sport with a manual, wouldn't have it any other way
Old 01-13-2019, 10:11 AM
QUAKEJAKE
CF Senior Member

OK Vette heads, What do you prefer, Auto or Standard? (Not what you drove 20 years ago, what your wife drives needs or what you learned on, LOL. JUST what do you PREFER NOW?
A ZF auto transmission that shifted like my Hellcat. 2nd a Corvette M7 that's in my Z.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:28 AM
PlasticPickle

Please don't tell us that gas milage was a criteria in purchasing a Vette? Please....
i won’t tell you gas mileage was a true criteria for purchasing my M7 ‘19 Z, but the $1,300 gas guzzler tax (NOT assessed on the M7), added onto the $1,700 premium for the A8, did have a bit of weight in my decision. Along with the fact my wife enjoys driving 3-pedal cars, too, my choice was easy.

Another question i have - none of the quoted take rates for the A8 I have seen ever show the %’s for ORDERED Vettes, vice the always used TOTAL A8 / M7 sales %’s. I would bet, due to the already noted reason that dealer stocks probably lean heavily toward automatics, those that choose their own trannys lean much more toward the M7 than overall sales would indicate.

i think you can guess which way I voted in the poll . . .
Old 01-13-2019, 11:48 AM
V Vette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by PlasticPickle View Post

i won’t tell you gas mileage was a true criteria for purchasing my M7 ‘19 Z, but the $1,300 gas guzzler tax (NOT assessed on the M7), added onto the $1,700 premium for the A8, did have a bit of weight in my decision. Along with the fact my wife enjoys driving 3-pedal cars, too, my choice was easy.

Another question i have - none of the quoted take rates for the A8 I have seen ever show the %’s for ORDERED Vettes, vice the always used TOTAL A8 / M7 sales %’s. I would bet, due to the already noted reason that dealer stocks probably lean heavily toward automatics, those that choose their own trannys lean much more toward the M7 than overall sales would indicate.

i think you can guess which way I voted in the poll . . .
Thanks. I forgot the gas guzzler tax..Is that still in effect?
Old 01-13-2019, 02:53 PM
PlasticPickle

Thanks. I forgot the gas guzzler tax..is that still in effect?
According to the “Build and Price” site, it is still in effect for A8 Z06’s only ($1,300). Neither transmission has a guzzler tax for the Stingray or GS with the LT1, while both transmissions with the ZR1 have a guzzler tax (go figure). Also, the A8 is now $2,000 higher MSRP than the M7 - it was “only” $1,700 higher last June, when I ordered my car.
The Following User Says Thank You to PlasticPickle For This Useful Post:
V Vette (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Oneslackr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mdolandese View Post
I also think in this day and age majority of people don't even know how to drive a stick if they wanted to . I vote for the manual
Yep, so a manual can be considered as an additional theft deterrent.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:24 PM
V Vette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Oneslackr View Post
Yep, so a manual can be considered as an additional theft deterrent.
LOL, Im calling my insurance company

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automatic or Standard?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: