Sponsored by:

Start issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Coach32
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Start issue

I have experienced a stumble start issue from day one. Hope this video clip will load. If it does, I welcome your thoughts.
This is an example of a single....have experience multiple stumbble....3 or 4 tries with a single start button push.
Attached Files

Last edited by Coach32; 01-21-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,819 Likes on 2,064 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Time to go to the dealer.

Elmer
Old 01-21-2019, 11:47 AM
Coach32
Instructor

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Time to go to the dealer.

Elmer
Done that.....no help. On record with GM. Have seen some comments requarding tuner chart adjustments....airflow and fuel mixtures on start, similar to choke adjustments on a carborator. I hate that I’m dealing with this on a brand new car.....maybe it will solve itself after break-in
Old 01-21-2019, 11:58 AM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

This shouldn't be too difficult to troubleshoot. I would start by monitoring the voltage to the starter and following the dropout from there.

This is an electrical issue; not a fuel mixture issue.

Last edited by laserdude2215; 01-21-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:50 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Guessing. Starter winding wire or stator has defect.

Elmer
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (01-22-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 06:06 PM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 516 Likes on 304 Posts

Even tho it is a new car, I suspect the battery, or at the least a poor connection at the battery. It sounds to me like while the car is cranking, it is turning over awful slow. As a test, put your battery maintainer on you car to make sure the battery is fully charged, and then do your starting test. If I was the dealer, I would do a starter draw test, & and a battery load test to start ruling out electrical issues.
Keep in mind a 50 mile or less drive is not enough to charge a battery that is in a low state of charge.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 PM
Coach32
Instructor

Originally Posted by BELVIN20
Even tho it is a new car, I suspect the battery, or at the least a poor connection at the battery. It sounds to me like while the car is cranking, it is turning over awful slow. As a test, put your battery maintainer on you car to make sure the battery is fully charged, and then do your starting test. If I was the dealer, I would do a starter draw test, & and a battery load test to start ruling out electrical issues.
Keep in mind a 50 mile or less drive is not enough to charge a battery that is in a low state of charge.
thanks for the reply.....battery was ruled out by our first guess. It was replaced with a 770 cca Delco.....checked the connections to the battery and have been connected to a battery tender. I should have mentioned preliminary attempt. The conditions have been after a short trip to a gas station....shut off and restart after pumping gas....bump, bump, bump then start. This clip was similar, 20 mile drive, park, atempt to restart, 3 bumps and a second try is the clip you see.......very puzzling. Bad ECM or adjustment, or fuel????
Old 01-21-2019, 11:51 PM
poughkeepsie
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

If it's happening right after filling up it sounds like a purge solenoid to me
Old 01-22-2019, 01:12 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 864 Likes on 601 Posts

I don't get alot out of the video, but I can tell you my 14 changes its start up from time to time. I know the C7 has different start delay times based on coolant temp and ambient:

From GM the following are expected start times:

Above 50F may take up to 1.5 seconds
From 14F-49F up to 2.5 seconds
Unless the ambient temperature is -4F or colder it should not take 5 seconds

To the OP: Has it changed with ambient?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:09 PM
eboggs_jkvl

It looks, in the video, that the car hesitates during cranking. It starts fine, then hesitates, the cranks and then runs. That is not good.

Elmer
Old 01-22-2019, 06:12 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
It looks, in the video, that the car hesitates during cranking. It starts fine, then hesitates, the cranks and then runs. That is not good.

Elmer
'member back in the day when the ignition was too far advanced that kind of cranking would happen (or pre-ignition when cranking)?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:38 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

I just rewatched the video with better audio (was on a plane earlier)....

Thats crazy that the car starts to crank then stops then does again on its own. Might be fuel related as others have mentioned. Rail pressure not making them makes.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Coach32

thanks for the reply.....battery was ruled out by our first guess. It was replaced with a 770 cca Delco.....checked the connections to the battery and have been connected to a battery tender. I should have mentioned preliminary attempt. The conditions have been after a short trip to a gas station....shut off and restart after pumping gas....bump, bump, bump then start. This clip was similar, 20 mile drive, park, atempt to restart, 3 bumps and a second try is the clip you see.......very puzzling. Bad ECM or adjustment, or fuel????

Originally Posted by C7&7
I just rewatched the video with better audio (was on a plane earlier)....

Thats crazy that the car starts to crank then stops then does again on its own. Might be fuel related as others have mentioned. Rail pressure not making them makes.

Even if battery checked could still be a connection at the battery or at the starter. The copper busbar that comes from the positive terminal has a bolted connection. I disconnected it when changing batteries. Easy to cross thread. I'd check it.

Could be a starter as well.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-22-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:00 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,207 Likes on 3,453 Posts

I've never experienced this on my '18 I've had for a year and a half. I'd suggest, as others have, faulty starter. I don't see why this would be a big deal for the dealership, or at least a half-*** competent one. Assuming they have access to another correctly starting C7, swap starters and see what happens... duh.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:19 PM
Coach32
Instructor

Trying to get a field rep/engineer from GM to look at this clip. Short of starting to replace components like the starter or the ECM.....seems a trouble shooting process should isolate the problem.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:29 AM
Coach32
Instructor

The dealership wants to take possession of my car for as long as it takes to find the problem. I have a problem handing the keys to my car over for as long as it takes. The car starts find 90% of the time. I have captured this video clip of a single stumble even though I get a triple stumble at times. I don’t understand why it can’t be diagnosed. Tech. Thinks it is the starter but can’t get them to just replace the components that could cause this. My have to continue driving the car until I get a complete failure.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:43 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Coach32
The dealership wants to take possession of my car for as long as it takes to find the problem. I have a problem handing the keys to my car over for as long as it takes. The car starts find 90% of the time. I have captured this video clip of a single stumble even though I get a triple stumble at times. I don’t understand why it can’t be diagnosed. Tech. Thinks it is the starter but can’t get them to just replace the components that could cause this. My have to continue driving the car until I get a complete failure.
Just give it to them and let them figure it out? Sounds like they’re willing to make it right and figure it out. Downside is you’ll be without your car for a bit. Or ask for a corvette loaner maybe.
Landru (02-10-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Start issue

Old 02-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by C7&7
Just give it to them and let them figure it out? Sounds like they’re willing to make it right and figure it out. Downside is you’ll be without your car for a bit. Or ask for a corvette loaner maybe.
I agree , just give it to them and let them see if they can fix it in a reasonable amount of time , they cant just fire a parts cannon at it .... and if they keep it for more than a week then you tell them you want it back , at that point take it to another more competent dealer .......

Dave
Old 02-10-2019, 09:41 AM
Coach32
Instructor

Had the car out yesterday and it never scripted a beat....puzzling.....did some reach on micro relay problems with the starter relay, fuel pump relay, & engine control module. These are located in the fuse panel, passenger side engine compartment. I feel I have a better chance of identifying the problem than allowing some knucklehead driving my car around looking for the starter to stumble the same way I showed in this video clip. Their plug-in shows zero faults, the battery and alternator show healthy. You would think proper trouble shooting would identify a weakness. Trying to get a GM field engineer to take a look but I'm way down on the priority list.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:12 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

From listening to the video, it seems like the starter disengages the re-engages until lift off. so, what would cause the starter to disengage? The load on the starter should not change other than temperature causing more drag from thick oil. The mechanical HPFP is another source of drag, but the starter and engine don't strike me as something that would sporadically cause high drag one moment and not the next. Even if there was a lot of continual drag, starters stay engage even with locked engines. So I would rule out engine and HPFP issues. Next is the starter's engagement mechanism - say it is weak and it pops off the flywheel? I'd rule that out too as I don't hear any starter overrun. Lastly is the command to the starter solenoid and the solenoid itself. Which is where I'd be looking. Does the starter lose and re-engage the command to start, or does the solenoid drop out even though the car is commanding it to engage. The latter means change the starter assembly. The former means digging into the electrical/electronic side of things. IMO this has nothing to do with the fuel side.
Coach32 (02-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Start issue