I like options.
The following users liked this post:
Mad*Max (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:52 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
My GS Vert 1LT has everything I want and/or need and then some. Hardly stripped down.
1LT Trim/Equipment Package:
A nicely equipped sportscar including 8” touchscreen, Bose AM-FM 9 speaker stereo, 3 month Sirius/XM,MP3, MyLink, OnStar, 4G LTE, 8” HD driver info screen, leather power GT sports seats, power break set/release, power locks/windows, active handling, dual-zone AC, keyless access/start, power tilt/telescopic, leather wrap steering w/flat bottom wheel, cruise control, tire pressure monitor, driver, passenger and side airbags, carbon fiber hood, Bremo 4-piston disc brakes, rear view camera, coup- body color painted carbon fiber roof panels, convertible- power soft-top which can be lowered remotely.
Originally Posted by cyi1
Biggest thing missing for me are the front cameras. They help a lot with the lip hanging so low. I use it every time I don't reverse park.
I agree, the front camera is handy, especially for the first time Corvette owner. Perhaps not as much after driving them 30-40 years as seems you almost develop a sense of radar for parking.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:06 PM
Que Rich
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowGray19
Yeah. We had to order my wife's 2017 BMW 330i to avoid unwanted options. She wanted the optional paint (Imperial Blue Metallic), the Harmon Kardon Surround Sound System and the Driver Assistance Package-Rear View Camera and Park Distance Control) and that was it. Reasonable price and still all the essential equipment.
I’m eyeing the 2020’s, haha
Old 03-24-2019, 09:29 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I agree, the front camera is handy, especially for the first time Corvette owner. Perhaps not as much after driving them 30-40 years as seems you almost develop a sense of radar for parking.
I touched my 2004 Z06 metal fangs to a parking block just once. Never did that again. Didn't like the thunk noise at all.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:43 PM
pnsnkr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
Yes its my age (64) but I remember when I bought my two favorite cars new; a CRX Si in 1986 and a Miata in '92; no AC, no electric mirrors/doors, hell, not even a radio. Now I'm getting the impression that my '14 Z51 M7 1LT Convertible is basically on par with a horse and wagon or maybe, if I stretch, a tuk tuk…..
Yes I realize with options come cool stuff and I admit I do miss the heated seats on my '12 GS Conv 3LT but geez, some of you guys make a 1LT sound like a life sentence. Talk about first world problem sufferings....ah well, I guess I'll just have to take a couple of ibuprofen and suffer my way; shifting my own gears (gasp), actually looking at the gauges (the horror) and having to control the near torture experience of
having to adjust to the temperature of the seats (is there no justice)……..
You could have bought yourself a Lotus Elise.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:06 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

They make the different option packages for a reason - because some buyers want the extra gadgets/convenience features and are willing to pay for them. Those that are perfectly content with the 1LT package - good for you and nothing at all wrong with that. When looking for my C7 I specifically wanted the HUD and heated/ventilated seats so I waited until I found a 2LT optioned car. If you could buy some of the items in the higher level packages ala carte then that would be fantastic but unfortunately you can’t.

Does buying a 2LT or 3LT car mean you are getting soft - heck no. Could one get by with a 1LT car, sure. But it sure is nice to have the option of loading up your car if you want and still enjoy driving America’s Sports Car.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:32 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
They make the different option packages for a reason - because some buyers want the extra gadgets/convenience features and are willing to pay for them. Those that are perfectly content with the 1LT package - good for you and nothing at all wrong with that. When looking for my C7 I specifically wanted the HUD and heated/ventilated seats so I waited until I found a 2LT optioned car. If you could buy some of the items in the higher level packages ala carte then that would be fantastic but unfortunately you can’t.

Does buying a 2LT or 3LT car mean you are getting soft - heck no. Could one get by with a 1LT car, sure. But it sure is nice to have the option of loading up your car if you want and still enjoy driving America’s Sports Car.
I believe one can do more than just 'get by' with the 1LT package as some (as quite a few report above) prefer, seek out and are very pleased with the 1LT package.

Remember when ordering a car and practically ever option/feature was 'A la Carte'? You could get and pay for just the features you wanted, nothing more. However, the manufactures found out selling feature packages was not only much easier to manage, but would also increase sales of features as buyers would pay for items they didn't necessarily need or want just to get a feature they really wanted.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:47 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

CRX and Miata would make one soft...haha

As one ages, a seat heater and air conditioning, (even ps, pb, louder radio) could be desirable.
Technology has eliminated maps and we are now use to a heads up, verbal, GPS map system.
There is softer suspension options, wind blockers, luxury lambs wool floor mats.
IMO the OP is defining softer as human aging issue.

FWIW 1LT is a great car, with no softer options.
BUT cup holders and golf club storage room, gosh, is soft the right word?

Never the less...in regards to hard...that should be answered in CFOT.

Last edited by Kenny94945; 03-25-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:31 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Liking certain options doesn't make one soft. Why not enjoy the features you want?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:43 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

It's not getting soft it's just choices. My first car was a stripped down Camaro. Not because I felt like I was making some sort of statement about who I thought I was at the time it was all that I could afford in the car that I wanted. Fast forward 40 years and I picked my first Vette in exactly the same way. Not because I was making some sort of statement about myself or even that I care what others might think, I simply decided how much money I wanted to part with and searched for the right car for me and my purposes.

Only on enthusiast forums like this do these choices devolve into bickering about which car is the ultimate to own or one owners car is somehow something less than another's. Only on this forum do you see members bashing one generation of the car vs another. Heck, nobody has even seen the C8 out of camo yet but a few seem to feel the need to bash it already. It will only get worse once the car is unveiled.

Last edited by JDSKY; 03-25-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:01 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

I agree with the OP, the 1LT vette is a luxury sports car. And the used car manager did not refuse to buy my 1lt 05 c6 vert, nor my 1lt 10 gs vert, when i went to sell them. Pretty decent offers on both. Kept me going on buying vettes. But two different used car managers really bent me over the table and had their way with me on two different 07 Z06's with the 2LZ packages, and both with chrome wheels, when i went to sell them. So like Pavlov's dog who has been rewarded for frugality on vette purchases, and financially punished for opting up on the purchase price, i have been trained to id my vette purchasing sweet spot, the 1lt version. And now that i've experienced magride in my newest c7, and find i leave it in tour mode all the time; and have a z51 package, on a vert that is not allowed to participate in a track day without adding a roll bar, neither option will be paid for on my next vette purchase.

But i still wonder about the vert discrimination on race courses. I've never seen a roll bar on a motorcycle running at a race course on their track days. Why the double standard against convertible owners?
Old 03-25-2019, 10:28 AM
Merlin803
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

My 2016 Camaro 2SS lease was coming up when I went in to drive a new Camaro a week or so ago, I already had it in my mind that I would only get a new one with at least the same options (I liked the blind side indicators, heated seats, steering wheel, HUD...etc).

Long story short, they had a used low mileage 2017 Stingray 1LT that I drove after test driving a new Camaro and all those other extras were no longer a priority. For about the same price of the new Camaro 2SS, I bought the Stingray 1LT and have no regrets.

If anything, I was really surprised at just how "not base" the 1LT is. Leather, removable top, great Infotainment screen (and speedo screen), dual zone climate....
Old 03-25-2019, 10:48 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I view it as a mine is better than yours thing. People just try to compensate for other inadequacies.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:34 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Great post, OP. In some ways, my 3 favorite all-time cars were a 1st gen fi Scirocco, an ‘83 944, and an X1/9. All bought used and VERY cheaply. Light, simple, so tossable and connected to the road. Never worried a bit about where, when, or how I drove them. A few scars? Who cares?

But, I totally love my 2LT Z51 Vette. For one thing it has more HP than all three combined while delivering nearly the same highway MPG (around town another matter of course.) Much higher handling limits and braking. And I do love the comfort and the bells and whistles, not to mention climate control and infotainment that actually work!

I wonder what I’d think of those old things if I had to drive one every day today? 30 year-old memories are often much better than the reality...
Old 03-25-2019, 11:59 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I bought the 1LT because I don't use any of the features on a 2LT. I have had previous cars with those features and just never used them. Not against them at all. Everyone is different. I'll be buying the next one with the 2LT options though because my wife likes to drive the one we have now once in a while. She indicated she would like to have the front camera option and the seat exit and enter option. Expensive for just those two options she would use, but what the heck.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:36 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Owned two mid to late 80s Honda (a Civic Hatch and a Prelude)... fantastic cars.

To me its not about being "soft" its a matter of conveniences and honestly being spoiled by the progression of nice features. For example express down power windows are great if you have to pay tolls everyday. There is no way I'd want to go back to the "good ole days" with manual crank windows. Work often takes me away from home so I drive rental cars and have to remember to turn a key or put the headlights on (oh the horror!). I am not lazy but its nice to have things that work for you which allows for a more enjoyable driving experience. Like having a manual vs automatic transmission, the choice is yours. There are things in my 3LT that I never use like the auto climate control or the navigation system. At first I thought the HUD was a gimmick but I've grown to like it. For me there were minimum options I needed like memory seats while other features are just nice bonuses.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:52 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Yes, people are soft.

I grew up in the 80s and even then, my AC in summer in SC heat was to roll the windows down. If its hot you sweat. If the car overheats guess what, you have to turn the heater on to help it cool down. I rode in a car with bench seats, lap belts only, manual windows, wipers barely worked, black smoke out the exhaust.

Only thing the parental units made sure was working was the radio. Gotta have radio.

Now I make sure all my cars have working radio and AC, I can handle the rest.

Get notified of new replies

To Have we gotten so soft?

Old 03-25-2019, 01:24 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 206 Posts

My first car and still is a c7 1lt. I have no previous references except my parents cars that i sat in. So even if it was bad, I wouldnt know. Im pretty darn comfortable in the 1lt.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:22 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,216 Likes on 3,459 Posts

I'd be happy to pay extra to NOT have at least 3/4 of the crap that comes on the base-model.

No one will be maintaining the stuff in years to come; even GM has trouble doing so now.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:51 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

I certainly wouldn't classify myself as soft, but after 45 years of being a mechanic crawling over around and under machinery I like the comforts in retirement. It's 3LT for me - I only wish it came with a heated steering wheel. Anyone who thinks that heated seats are only for warming your butt and a heated wheel is to warm your hands has never tried using them for a sore back or stiff finger joints.

Quick Reply: Have we gotten so soft?