Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have we gotten so soft?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 03:35 PM
NYC-Style
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

It's better to "have" it and not need it - than to need it and "not" have it!!
Old 03-25-2019, 04:21 PM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by evoroadster
I always look for the bare bones car. Its handling first and everything else after that for me. My 17 GS is a 1LT, my previous Porsche Cayman was an R-model. The 2000 Miata, over time, morphed into a track only car. Now I am looking for a TR3, TR4 or a TR6 to get back into simpler times. My wife however just bought a Tesla. Oh, I am 69.
Also 69, If you want to talk basics, have a Morgan Plus 8 and a Morgan three wheeler!
Old 03-25-2019, 04:48 PM
Michael Griffin
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the biggest difference between LT1/LT2 and LT3? The LT1/LT2 can be driven everyday with little wear and tear. It would be nice to see the wear on a LT3 seat vs LT2/LT1 after a few years as a daily driver. I bought mine to drive. If I were wanting to keep it wrapped up in a garage I would have got the LT3. Everyone has a different purpose or budget for buying the Greatest American Sports car made. It should not be I can afford more accessories than you. Those that beat others down over LT1/2or3 are sitting in their garage with their car while the rest of us are out making new friends.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:53 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
I'd be happy to pay extra to NOT have at least 3/4 of the crap that comes on the base-model.

No one will be maintaining the stuff in years to come; even GM has trouble doing so now.
Way to **** on our parade

I had just about fully suppressed the inevitability of your prediction, and you go and re-expose the bubbling magma biding its time under all of our C7s. Maybe I'll hit the lottery so I won't care when my C7 succumbs to lord knows what unfixable electronic gremlin one horrible week 8 years from now...

Thanks a lot, Avanti
Old 03-25-2019, 05:37 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowGray19
I have had 90 cars and trucks in the last 50 years. Some of my favorites were big luxury cars that were great on long highway trips (1974 Buick Riviera, 1974 Chrysler Imperial Lebaron were my favorites) and had every option known to mankind. These days even the base model cars have more options than the loaded cars of days gone by. There are so many gadgets on today's cars it boggles my mind. in most cases the base model cars of today have more options than I would ever use. To me the my 2019 1LT is "loaded" and I love it.
Once a majority of the built models of a car have a certain option, it essentially is going to rule.

One example: Almost every car now comes with power windows, which saves the design, manufacturing, and inventory costs of wind-up windows, which once were the norm.

Similarly, most cars now come with automatic transmission. Why spend the extra costs above (plus emissions/MPG testing) for an option few people want? (Yes, this means that sooner or later the manual will go away on C8 or C9 or whatever.)

Want a bare-bones sports car with high performance and no bells and whistles? Try Factory Five and build your own.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:02 PM
BobFic
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

OP..nice prospective on YOUR views....great feedback from forum,..I'm content with what I have C7..M7 with 1LT basic's plus z/51, tomorrow brings a new day.. and hopefully another new toy..it may have more options or not.

Last edited by BobFic; 03-25-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:05 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,072 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by TyBoo
I certainly wouldn't classify myself as soft, but after 45 years of being a mechanic crawling over around and under machinery I like the comforts in retirement. It's 3LT for me - I only wish it came with a heated steering wheel. Anyone who thinks that heated seats are only for warming your butt and a heated wheel is to warm your hands has never tried using them for a sore back or stiff finger joints.
Sounds like You really deserve some comfort ( you ,like me and I'm sure a lot of us ) put in some hard days. It's time to enjoy.!!! I only deserved the 2 LT
Rich
I put in 45 yrs. at the Nestle Coffee plant in Freehold N.J and I started there when I was 25 yrs. old. I started working full time right out of high school !! ( But then I didn;t graduate till I was 24 )
Rich

Last edited by Vette Ski; 03-25-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MlwYlw
Dude,

You admit to driving a Miata & A CRX? Rainbow colors by chance??? Technology evolves. Have an iPhone or still using a bag phone in your car?

Your car. Whatever floats your boat.

To answer your question, yes, our society is progressively weakening but I will leave that for the political and off-topic forums! : )
You know how I know you're not a real car guy? Miatas and SI Hondas are a blast to drive fast...just as is a Corvette or a Porsche. I call it how I see it. Get over the fact that you are concerned what everyone else thinks about you and you'll enjoy life more.
The following 2 users liked this post by ALEXAMES:
DWillys (03-26-2019), Rapid Fred (03-26-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 09:37 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

The reason I will NOT buy a new Corvette is they have too many options I don't want or need.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:59 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I just want a heated steering wheel. Not sure why it’s taking so long 😄
Old 03-25-2019, 10:03 PM
taz2016
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
I'd be happy to pay extra to NOT have at least 3/4 of the crap that comes on the base-model.

No one will be maintaining the stuff in years to come; even GM has trouble doing so now.
I'll second that!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:04 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 we are stuck with "packages:" that include stuff I dont want
Over 50, the weekend toy has no ac radio nothing. PS PB thats it and dont mind a bit.
Do like AC on a DD being in Ca other than that have no need for any gadget or nanny

Think GM is tired of the "Buy Chevy but want German quality" crowd, perhaps they are seeking a new audience of buyers with the ME.
Look on this board, people complain about stuff that isnt even wrong.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:31 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
x2 we are stuck with "packages:" that include stuff I dont want
Exactly. GM certainly figured that out. Put of couple of niceties that should only cost a couple hundred $ extra (if available as options) into the next tier and charge thousand$. Not begrudging them, they are in business to make money and it seems to have worked as so many go with the 2LT over the 1LT. (in 2015 all I wanted was the ventilated seats and thought maybe the Bose upgrade - could not justify the cost increase. Happy w/ the 1LT
Old 03-26-2019, 11:14 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

In my humble opinion, the changes to Corvette reflect the changing values of its core targeted buyers. My first Corvette was a 69 that did NOT have power steering, power brakes, power windows, and no A/C. When asked by one of the ladies I was dating why, I pointed to the rear wheels and said "all the power goes there, the rear wheels" (lol). That was when I was in my 20s. Since then I've had a fully auto and full power 79, a 2004 that had all the power options including the 12 disc cd player and now a C7 that has computer controlled "Rev Match". My desires have changed and fortunately for me so has Corvette. I don't think I'm alone in wanting these changes.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:45 AM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,072 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
In my humble opinion, the changes to Corvette reflect the changing values of its core targeted buyers. My first Corvette was a 69 that did NOT have power steering, power brakes, power windows, and no A/C. When asked by one of the ladies I was dating why, I pointed to the rear wheels and said "all the power goes there, the rear wheels" (lol). That was when I was in my 20s. Since then I've had a fully auto and full power 79, a 2004 that had all the power options including the 12 disc cd player and now a C7 that has computer controlled "Rev Match". My desires have changed and fortunately for me so has Corvette. I don't think I'm alone in wanting these changes.
My '67 Chevelle No P.S- No A.C-No P.B, All power to the rear wheels
Rich
Old 03-26-2019, 03:39 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Well said Vette-a-teers

I guess the notion taken to it's end is self driving cars; have truly enjoyed the input this has received; all views accepted and acceptable, thanks for taking the time

Quick Reply: Have we gotten so soft?