Sponsored by:

Help deciding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 01:07 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
Maybe, being a purist is tough... A GS with no added HP? I might as well get a Ferrari with a VW engine....Everyone one with a GS please don't get defensive, its only my lonely opinion! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. lol
I get it. I think the stingray/Z51 are plenty wide from the factory. Sometimes less is more...
Old 05-17-2019, 08:10 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Sorry but everyone has there thing. The side skirts looks like jeep side boards and it (GS) just looks bloated to me and no extra Hp. He should get the ZO6...BUT enjoy if you like it! We are all Vette heads!
Correct. There's not enough of a reason to buy a gs, when the Z06, is in the running. You'll always regret it if you go cheap on a new Corvette.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:13 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lakemg
I get it. I think the stingray/Z51 are plenty wide from the factory. Sometimes less is more...
The Z51 & Stingray are in fact the sweet spot. I elected to go with a loaded 3lt Stingray. Still the most Corvette for the money with the luxurious features. 👍
Old 05-18-2019, 11:34 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Maybe, being a purist is tough... A GS with no added HP? I might as well get a Ferrari with a VW engine....Everyone one with a GS please don't get defensive, its only my lonely opinion! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. lol
Well I guess you shouldn't get upset when us GS guys give our opinion (which is shared by a lot of professional drivers...) - the GS is not just looks it adds a bunch of performance features that many people feel put the GS in the sweet spot of the corvette lineup. It's unquestionably a step up from the stingray or even the z51, and your complaint about power is silly unless you are drag racing, because most of us are just using these cars on public roads, and even if you look at the track stats, the GS holds up pretty well against many similar cars with more horsepower, including the Z06. And your comparisons are ridiculous - the GS looks like a jeep, and getting a GS is like getting a Ferrari with a vw engine - that kind of makes your argument look pretty stupid. But please, don't get defensive that's just my lovely opinion.

The z06 is great, but you're almost never going to use the extra horsepower unless you track it or drag race it, and even then, the car doesn't handle that level of power as well as the base engine which creates issues that even professional drivers attest to. Don't get me wrong, if the Z06 was even close to the price of a GS, I'd have gotten a Z06, but I didn't feel like paying an extra $15 grand for added power I would almost never use, as I don't track or race the car. And if you're all about power, then you need to move up to the zr1 right? And that's the problem with chasing horsepower - there is always a car with more.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 11:37 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
The Z51 & Stingray are in fact the sweet spot. I elected to go with a loaded 3lt Stingray. Still the most Corvette for the money with the luxurious features. 👍
Maybe for old ladies who need to warm and cool their fannies with their special seats, and who need cameras to park their car without demolishing their front end, lol.

Go watch any GS review by a professional driver and they almost all say the GS is the sweet spot of the corvette family.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:38 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerryU
I was commenting about those that bought a Z06 ‘“because they had to have the MOST hp,” probably not being able to sleep at night knowing they left 105 hp on the table! (755-650=105 hp for those math challenged!
Exactly - chasing horsepower is a fools game unless you're buying the car to race it.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:12 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
Maybe for old ladies who need to warm and cool their fannies with their special seats, and who need cameras to park their car without demolishing their front end, lol.

Go watch any GS review by a professional driver and they almost all say the GS is the sweet spot of the corvette family.
I'm confident with the same HP my Stingray has, versus the $10K, the GS costs. Stupid to pay for something you don't need, you won't ever use. I've already got a loaded 3lt Corvette with all the luxuries. I use all my 3lt's features each and every time I drive it.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 05-18-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:15 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
Well I guess you shouldn't get upset when us GS guys give our opinion (which is shared by a lot of professional drivers...) - the GS is not just looks it adds a bunch of performance features that many people feel put the GS in the sweet spot of the corvette lineup. It's unquestionably a step up from the stingray or even the z51, and your complaint about power is silly unless you are drag racing, because most of us are just using these cars on public roads, and even if you look at the track stats, the GS holds up pretty well against many similar cars with more horsepower, including the Z06. And your comparisons are ridiculous - the GS looks like a jeep, and getting a GS is like getting a Ferrari with a vw engine - that kind of makes your argument look pretty stupid. But please, don't get defensive that's just my lovely opinion.

The z06 is great, but you're almost never going to use the extra horsepower unless you track it or drag race it, and even then, the car doesn't handle that level of power as well as the base engine which creates issues that even professional drivers attest to. Don't get me wrong, if the Z06 was even close to the price of a GS, I'd have gotten a Z06, but I didn't feel like paying an extra $15 grand for added power I would almost never use, as I don't track or race the car. And if you're all about power, then you need to move up to the zr1 right? And that's the problem with chasing horsepower - there is always a car with more.
Unless you only track your car, you'll never legally use it on the streets anyway.

. You just proved my point - you don't ever track your car, and I have the identical Horsepower as you do - for $10K less.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 05-18-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,689 Likes on 5,591 Posts

I'm confident with the same HP my Stingray has, versus the $10K, the GS costs. Stupid to pay for something you don't need, you won't ever use. I've already got a loaded 3lt Corvette with all the luxuries. I use all my 3lt's features each and every time I drive it.
Joe, you sound like someone who doesn't understand what driving a spotscar is all about. It's not about luxurious features (go back to your Caddy for that) it's about the thrill of the overall (power, steering, handling, breaking) driving experience which I enjoy every time I get into my GS Vert. You certainly don't need to be going 100>180 mph to enjoy a sportscar.
$10k for the GS package or $10k for the 3LT trim package? Easy choice for me and many other sportscar fans.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 05-18-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:45 PM
wlittle49
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

I'll take my 3LT Stingray over a poverty GS. It's all I need and rides like a dream. Each must find they own sweet spot.

LOL, that ought to get you ******* stirred up.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,689 Likes on 5,591 Posts

Originally Posted by wlittle49
I'll take my 3LT Stingray over a poverty GS. It's all I need and rides like a dream. Each must find they own sweet spot.

LOL, that ought to get you ******* stirred up.
Don't know about getting anyone stirred up, but your post doesn't make a lot of sense as you refer to a poverty GS, however a 1LT GS is typically around the same price as a 3LT stingray.
Iconic (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 01:23 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Joe, you sound like someone who doesn't understand what driving a spotscar is all about. It's not about luxurious features (go back to your Caddy for that) it's about the thrill of the overall (power, steering, handling, breaking) driving experience which I enjoy every time I get into my GS Vert. You certainly don't need to be going 100>180 mph to enjoy a sportscar.
$10k for the GS package or $10k for the 3LT trim package? Easy choice for me and many other sportscar fans.
I like Joe, but he thinks that everyone should think like him. There are a lot of folks like that. One owner told me that he couldn't understand why I bought a 1LT when I could have bought a 2 or 3LT. I had to share with him that......I don't use those features. Even if they came with the car I would not use them! He still didn't get it.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:14 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,620 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Just for the record...

Chevrolet.com shows the Z51 with the A8 running 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds if you click on the fine print link.

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...ray-sports-car
For a more "accurate record" try these GM links:
https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...ort-sports-car 3.6 seconds

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...ray-sports-car 3.7 seconds

If you don't like those #'s from GM try this pic from a Bash!

I can validate the lateral "g" increase as I have a single lane road around a ~75 foot diameter fountain near the end of my street! Grass field on the right! No houses/people wihthin 1/4 mile! Tried often for 3 1/2 years with my Z51- get an extra ~1.5 max "gs" with the 2 year old GS!

335 rear/285 front tires versus 285 rear/ 245 front are doing something!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-18-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:34 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 418 Likes on 289 Posts

A GS looks like a Jeep??? Might as well get a Ferrari with a VW engine??? Did you spend too much time at your local "happy hour" today?
You sound like someone who has never driven a GS. What C7 do you own, or do you even own one? There's a lot more to a fine high performance sportscar than just HP.
LOL, easy, easy, I could use a drink, lol... Even if I did not own one, its my opinion. If you like what you say is good or better.. a salute!

Last edited by V Vette; 05-18-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:09 PM
rrepp
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

To the OP:

I bought the base C7, 2lt, convertible, with stick shift, mag ride, and couldn't be happier. You've seen everybody thinks they've made the best choice, and I guess as long as one feels that way, then they did make the best choice, for them! Take some test drives and see for yourself which car works best for you. You really can't go wrong whatever you decide.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:51 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerryU
For a more "accurate record" try these GM links:
https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...ort-sports-car 3.6 seconds

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...ray-sports-car 3.7 seconds

If you don't like those #'s from GM try this pic from a Bash!
Thanks! You are validating what I was saying. Your initial post on this data said 3.8 for the Z51 so I was showing what Chevrolet claims for the Z51.

Last edited by lakemg; 05-18-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:32 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Don't know about getting anyone stirred up, but your post doesn't make a lot of sense as you refer to a poverty GS, however a 1LT GS is typically around the same price as a 3LT stingray.

The divisive bickering here about packaging and options baffles me. At a cars and coffee, guys face to face would be complimentary to each other on ones selections of options on their Vettes. I have ordered 4 C7s, all in 1LT, but I have added some of the following to these 4 cars; Optional paint, competition seats, forged wheels, Stinger stripe, red seat belts, painted calipers,CF badges, ACS front splitter, rear spoiler wings, and dozens of other after market goodies. I have ordered and bought three (3) Grand Sports that stickered higher than a 3LT base. Doesn't make them better than a base but merely what I preferred.

"Poverty Grand Sport"?......GTFO

Get notified of new replies

To Help deciding?

Old 05-19-2019, 12:20 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Thanks! You are validating what I was saying. Your initial post on this data said 3.8 for the Z51 so I was showing what Chevrolet claims for the Z51.
It's just as I said - The Z51/Stingray IS the sweet spot, all things considered! For 2/tenths of a second, save yourself the bloated $11,000.00 mistake gs, and get the Z51!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 05-19-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:26 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

It's just as I said - The Z51/Stingray IS the sweet spot, all things considered! For 1/tenth of a second, save yourself the bloated $11,000.00 mistake gs, and get the Z51!

Fixed it for ya...
Old 05-19-2019, 08:27 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,620 Likes on 6,626 Posts

It's just as I said - The Z51/Stingray IS the sweet spot, all things considered! For 2/tenths of a second, save yourself the bloated $11,000.00 mistake gs, and get the Z51!

May not mean nothing to you BUT the Z51 with MRC cost only $2800 more than a GS!

Even better since you always say you "MUST BUY" a 3LT:
A Z51 with MRC and 3LT has a MSRP of $73,535
A Grand Sport with what "most" agree is the "sweat spot" 2LT that includes MRC standard is only $71,450!

IMO folks buying a 3LT Z51 with MRC are paying $2085 too much! Plus no reason to pay >$200 to upgrade the, at best fair, GM NAV when the free "Apply CarPlay" is a better NAV, displays on the full center screen and continually updates free!

PS: If you don't have or want MRC then a 3LT Z51 without MRC still costs $290 MORE than a 2LT GS that includes MRC standard!!!
This is NOT just my "opinion" sales of Z51's declined significantly once the Grand Sport was available! From the pricing comparison you can see why! A few folks who drive in bad weather and some snow get it as the "skinny" tires do have better (not good) traction in light snow and heavy rain. They also have a wider available range of winter tires.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-19-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Iceman2000 (05-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Help deciding?