Sponsored by:

Help deciding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:35 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
It's just as I said - The Z51/Stingray IS the sweet spot, all things considered! For 2/tenths of a second, save yourself the bloated $11,000.00 mistake gs, and get the Z51!
Joe,the Z51 is a fine sportscar however less than 10% of total C7s sold in the last model year were Z51s, so not sure many share your opinion as to it being the sweet spot. The GS option is $10k, not $11k and in my opinion offers the most bang for the buck than any other option and contributes to the Grandsport being the most popular version of the C7 for the last model year at approx 32% of total C7 sales.

Z16 GS Performance Package features ($10,000): Specific front fender inserts; Z06 style grill; wider rear fenders; front splitter; rocker skirts, additional brake cooling vents and wickerbill rear spoiler; GS CUP-style wheels; Michelin super-sport summer only tires (P285/30ZR19” front, P33525ZR20” rear); 6-piston front and 4-pison front Bremo brakes; Slotted brake rotors; Magnetic Ride Control and Electronic Limited-slip differential; NPP exhaust, Dry-sump oil system; Rear differential cooler; transmission cooler.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:29 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

The GS has a ton a stuff going for it especially from a pure track performance stand point and is really a heck of a deal. For me personally, I've just never warmed up to the C7 widebody. I loved the C6 widebody and thought that I would end up preferring the C7 WB, but it just never happened. If the widebody was the only C7 offering, it wouldn't stop me from getting a C7, but if I get to still pick a stingray/Z51 that's my choice. If I was a track rat, the track expertise of the GS would override my appearance preferences. I sure as heck wouldn't expect people to have the same preferences that I have or bash them for not getting a stingray of a particular trim level. At the end of the day, they are all C7s and made by the same plant, people, and assembly line in the good ol' USA!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by lakemg:
Iceman2000 (05-19-2019), joemessman (05-19-2019), Kevin A Jones (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 11:16 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

I agree 100% especially with your last statement. I expect many Stingray vs GS decisions rest on whether the purchaser prefer narrow or wide-body.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:42 PM
Iceman2000
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 05-19-2019, 11:08 PM
Gymbow
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
Maybe, being a purist is tough... A GS with no added HP? I might as well get a Ferrari with a VW engine
You might want to spend a few minutes studying these results. My first C7 was a fully loaded Z51 and it was great. I added side skirts to it to protect the rockers from road rash and my rockers were spotless after 3+ years. Only issue was it was very easy to break it loose under full power. This past month, I traded it in on a ‘19 GS and it blows the doors off my Z51 in terms of handling & braking characteristics. Fantastic car!! Best VW engine / chassis combo yet.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...storical-data/
Old 05-19-2019, 11:24 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
May not mean nothing to you BUT the Z51 with MRC cost only $2800 more than a GS!

Even better since you always say you "MUST BUY" a 3LT:
A Z51 with MRC and 3LT has a MSRP of $73,535
A Grand Sport with what "most" agree is the "sweat spot" 2LT that includes MRC standard is only $71,450!

IMO folks buying a 3LT Z51 with MRC are paying $2085 too much! Plus no reason to pay >$200 to upgrade the, at best fair, GM NAV when the free "Apply CarPlay" is a better NAV, displays on the full center screen and continually updates free!

PS: If you don't have or want MRC then a 3LT Z51 without MRC still costs $290 MORE than a 2LT GS that includes MRC standard!!!
This is NOT just my "opinion" sales of Z51's declined significantly once the Grand Sport was available! From the pricing comparison you can see why! A few folks who drive in bad weather and some snow get it as the "skinny" tires do have better (not good) traction in light snow and heavy rain. They also have a wider available range of winter tires.
You're posting here false quotes. I never wrote that ^^^^.

If you're all gaa gaa on street racing your gs, have at it as you claim to race down your street. No one really cares how many hundreds of a second your gs might be faster to the dead end of your street. You, nor anyone else on this board races their gs heads up against any other C7s. Street or track. That's a fact I proved with you months ago. If you're buying a gs, it's not to race, so there's little reason to spend $11,000.00, because someone said it might be faster. LOL!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 05-19-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:29 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lakemg
The GS has a ton a stuff going for it especially from a pure track performance stand point and is really a heck of a deal. For me personally, I've just never warmed up to the C7 widebody. I loved the C6 widebody and thought that I would end up preferring the C7 WB, but it just never happened. If the widebody was the only C7 offering, it wouldn't stop me from getting a C7, but if I get to still pick a stingray/Z51 that's my choice. If I was a track rat, the track expertise of the GS would override my appearance preferences. I sure as heck wouldn't expect people to have the same preferences that I have or bash them for not getting a stingray of a particular trim level. At the end of the day, they are all C7s and made by the same plant, people, and assembly line in the good ol' USA!!!
You prove the point once again by stating that you do not track your car. Not sure what the point that is of an $11,000.00 gs option that you'll never use?? The Z51, is still the sweet spot in C7s. Virtually none of you race your C7 anyways.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:32 PM
Gymbow
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts

It's just as I said - The Z51/Stingray IS the sweet spot, all things considered! For 2/tenths of a second, save yourself the bloated $11,000.00 mistake gs, and get the Z51!
I got 10% off MSRP for my ‘16 Z51. I paid less for my ‘19 GS last month than I paid for my Z51. Both brand new from MacMulkin with identical options. Not sure where you got your numbers from, but they aren’t current.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:43 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gymbow
I got 10% off MSRP for my ‘16 Z51. I paid less for my ‘19 GS last month than I paid for my Z51. Both brand new from MacMulkin with identical options. Not sure where you got your numbers from, but they aren’t current.
My numbers are for a gs. Not a Z51. They are current. You misread.....

I got -20% off MSRP on my new loaded 2017 C7, 3LT convertible with MSRC & FE2. , I paid LESS than MOST 1lt buyers are paying for gses.. .

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 05-19-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:56 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

My numbers are for a gs. Not a Z51. They are current. You misread.....

I got -20% off MSRP on my new loaded 2017 C7, 3LT convertible with MSRC & FE2. , I paid LESS than MOST 1lt buyers are paying for gses.. .
Joe, hadn't your '17 3LT base Stingray been sitting on a lot unsold for almost 2 years? No wonder you got 20% off MSRP.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:42 AM
Bradysdad
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

I had a new 16 Z51 M7 coupe until a month ago when I traded it in for a new 19 GS A8 coupe. My 16 was shark gray and got a lot of looks and thumbs up. The GS gets about 3 times more and is much more fun to drive. I had an 11 C6 GS prior to my 16 and loved it.

The main attraction for me is the wide body, bigger wheels and brakes and the overall more aggressive look.

Everyone quotes track times, lateral acceleration, etc... If you are looking to purchase a track machine of any sort, then pull the trigger on the Z06, hands down. But if you are looking for a fun car to drive around the streets, play a little on freeway on-ramps and overall, get a big smile permanently attached to your face, I would go with the GS or Z51.

As someone stated earlier, even the base car with its 455 HP gets to triple digit speeds in the blink of an eye and you still have 3-4 gears left. It’s all about what puts that grin on your face every time you hit the start button.

I chose the GS and never looked back. See below.....

Last edited by Bradysdad; 05-20-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

If you're all gaa gaa on street racing your gs, have at it as you claim to race down your street. No one really cares how many hundreds of a second your gs might be faster to the dead end of your street. You, nor anyone else on this board races their gs heads up against any other C7s. Street or track. That's a fact I proved with you months ago. If you're buying a gs, it's not to race, so there's little reason to spend $11,000.00, because someone said it might be faster. LOL!
You have stated many times about only buying a 3LT so I was just getting the cost #'s accurate.

I gave up street racing when I was 19! Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the nannies not activating when I merge into 65+ mph traffic from my street to a 4 lane divided highway every day! In fact the only logical purchase if you never push your car near 1 "g" acceleration (lateral or straight) is the base car! Softer suspension, no rear sway bar, brake pads that don't have excess dust, no dry sump to have overfilled etc. Great car for those folks at a good price.

Yep for me the Z51 was a smart purchase in 2013 when I ordered it as there was no Grand Sport. But once it was available, as I noted "accurately," a 2LT Grand Sport that includes MRC is still $209 cheaper than a 3LT Z51 without the MRC option. And like most folks who opt for MRC a 2LT Grand Sport is $2085 cheaper than a 3LT Z51 with MRC!

You're $11,000 dollar number is not accurate!

PS: Decided to see what a 3LT Stingray without the Z51 package but with MRC would cost versus the least expensive 1LT Grand Sport that has all the performance features including MRC. The Grand Sport is $1540 less!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-20-2019 at 02:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gymbow (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 09:39 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Unless you only track your car, you'll never legally use it on the streets anyway.

. You just proved my point - you don't ever track your car, and I have the identical Horsepower as you do - for $10K less.
I test drove a stingray and a z51 before deciding on the GS, and I could definitely feel the driving performance advantage (more planted and better cornering) in regular street driving, and it looked better with the wide body look in my opinion, which is why I went with the GS. I feel and 'use' those differences every time I drive the car. I would never use the 3LT options, which is why I didn't get a 3LT, and with the 3LT options in your stingray, the price of your car was probably pretty close to the price of mine. But as many have said, different strokes for different folks, there is no right or wrong answer for everyone. Having said that, you should change your oil at least once per year, as per the manual...
The following 2 users liked this post by kennyjames21:
JerryU (05-20-2019), joemessman (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 09:44 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Don't know about getting anyone stirred up, but your post doesn't make a lot of sense as you refer to a poverty GS, however a 1LT GS is typically around the same price as a 3LT stingray.
Yeah, that pretty much sums up the logic capabilities of the people we are arguing against, lol.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:52 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Many people buy the GS over the stingray or the z51 because they handle and perform better and to many, they look better. And the stats/facts back it up, when the GS came out, z51 sales tanked.

And based just on the looks, when I see a GS or a Z06 and a stingray together, I notice the increased aggressive look of the GS/Z06, I never notice the sweet front cameras on the stingray or the heated/cooled seats or the garage door opener or cargo net...
Old 05-20-2019, 12:23 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradysdad
I had a new 16 Z51 M7 coupe until a month ago when I traded it in for a new 19 GS A8 coupe. My 16 was shark gray and got a lot of looks and thumbs up. The GS gets about 3 times more and is much more fun to drive. I had an 11 C6 GS prior to my 16 and loved it.

The main attraction for me is the wide body, bigger wheels and brakes and the overall more aggressive look.

Everyone quotes track times, lateral acceleration, etc... If you are looking to purchase a track machine of any sort, then pull the trigger on the Z06, hands down. But if you are looking for a fun car to drive around the streets, play a little on freeway on-ramps and overall, get a big smile permanently attached to your face, I would go with the GS or Z51.

As someone stated earlier, even the base car with its 455 HP gets to triple digit speeds in the blink of an eye and you still have 3-4 gears left. It’s all about what puts that grin on your face every time you hit the start button.

I chose the GS and never looked back. See below.....

Great looking car!
Old 05-20-2019, 01:46 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 2017 1LT GS Vert with the ZO6 package its awesome!

Last edited by JC7; 05-20-2019 at 01:47 PM. Reason: change
Old 05-31-2019, 07:41 AM
Bradysdad
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
Great looking car!
Thanks! Appreciate it. I was searching for a while to find the heritage colors, equipped like I wanted. Found one not too far away and pulled the trigger. As I previously stated, a ton of fun to drive and lots of thumbs ups!!

Quick Reply: Help deciding?