Sponsored by:

Darn / dam !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 03:20 PM
joshtried
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

mine slowly tore after pulling out of my apartments garage. I removed all the pieces and never looked back. Never had an issue at or above speed after removing them. Im sure they do serve a purpose, otherwise GM wouldnt have added them in the first place. That doesnt mean you or I will ever drive hard enough to experience that real purpose.
The following users liked this post:
RSlater (06-02-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 07:50 AM
vbb
Racer

Received 387 Likes on 170 Posts

I have a z51 so I removed the two front underbody pieces on either side when I installed my front splitter. It isn't that I doubt the GM engineers or think I know more about fluid dynamics than they do, but it is that I like the way my car looks better without them. It's less of a change than many, many other modifications that people do to their vehicles. Obviously adding aftermarket suspension changes, headers, superchargers, throttle bodies, etc isn't how GM designed the vehicle either, but it doesn't mean the owner has made their car dangerous or "ruined" either.
Dennis Bernal (06-04-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 07:59 AM
RSlater
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pccm
The only thing it is good for on the street is to remind me how I should’ve bought the lt3 with the front cameras, how I need to get on with the navtool install already, and that I can only back into spots.

it really is profoundly low.
I have a 2019 2LT and it has the front and rear camera and I use it a LOT. I've never hit a parking lot block, my issues of scraping are the entry and exit of some driveways
Old 06-03-2021, 10:27 PM
Noize
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Once I understood what it was, I kind of appreciated it. Slows me down and protects more expensive components.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:34 AM
Bird67
Melting Slicks

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by Noize
Once I understood what it was, I kind of appreciated it. Slows me down and protects more expensive components.
Exactly. In a reference intended for the boaters out there, I think of mine as sacrificial zincs.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:15 AM
pccm
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RSlater
I have a 2019 2LT and it has the front and rear camera and I use it a LOT. I've never hit a parking lot block, my issues of scraping are the entry and exit of some driveways
I was able to rent one for a bit before buying my gs, it had the cameras, and I see what you mean. Without the cameras I am actually way more careful. Meaning that I never ever park nose in. I also do not go up really steep driveways, I just parallel onto the street. I haven’t found a commercial lot that I’d scrape on, only residential driveways that I won’t even try, and you are correct it’s the backing out that is usually the issue where the thing would pull forward and yank it off.

for older cars at different apartment rentals I made a little ramp with 4x8s and left it in the driveway, nobody removed after 2 years. I also used to have two little plastic wedges from a rhino ramp set, that I kept in my trunk. I don’t know if you’ve looked into them. They never slid out when I backed over them. It was a pain, but I also never lost a front lip. Well actually I did once in a very bad snow storm, where the lip was more a snow plow more than anything else 🤣
Old 06-04-2021, 06:51 AM
Dennis Bernal
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 109 Posts

These threads make me feel like I have Jedi level parking and ramp maneuvering skills. I daily my Z51 in New England, thru snow and all and I don't have cameras and never even gotten close to touching a parking block. Never backed in. Air dams (sides only, Z51) are mint. I have very gently scraped them for sure, but breaking, not a chance.

Best piece of advice, just drive careful and they will last the life of the car and cause zero issues.

20k miles put on in 2 years of ownership.

Quick Reply: Darn / dam !!!