Sponsored by:

Picked up my new to me grand sport, some concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 08:23 PM
Chomorro
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Picked up my new to me grand sport, some concerns

Picked up my grand sport today and its gorgeous. 2017 watkins grey, 2LT with red interior comp seats, z07 package M7. I have 24 hours to decide if I want to buy it. It's a one owner vehicle into carmax hands.

Some concerns:
I took some video of me trying to park it in my garage and the articulation and angle cause the front passenger wheel to lift up off the ground and some engagement of the LSD for spit second while one tear wheel catches air as well. Will this cause any long term problems?

Also both doors have about a 4 inch long wrinkle pattern starting to happen at the leather panels by the rear of the top. Expensive fix?

Drivers side door wont open sometimes. I click the button, I hear the mechanism do something but I cannot push open the door. I have to sit and keep pushing the unlock button and finally it will open.

Holding the remote trunk open doesnt seem to work either.

When I park, I always park in first gear put the parking brake up and turn the car off then let off the clutch. I'm not sure if this procedure is throwing something off but i couldn't shut the car off. I would press the start stop button and it would flash a no remote present warning. Only happened once so far so not sure what's going on with that.

Other then that I love the car and love driving it but these gremlins or a little scary on a $65k vehicle. The low life is also concerning but I just need to get used to it. The front carbon flash Splitter has hit something nasty on both sides its damaged already. I scrape exiting my garage every time and I dont think I can prevent it. Also wondering if I can tall them onto replacing the front tires they looks bald to me.

Last edited by Chomorro; 08-15-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Popular Reply

08-16-2021, 08:46 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

I would pass on it, too many so called minor issues for me and that could just be the start of a long list of problems.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:00 PM
Dennis Bernal
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 109 Posts

Leather looks fine. Maybe a hair dryer to tighten. Tires look fine. What do tread life indicators show?

Trunk or door not operable is an issue. Should work first try, every time. If you hear something happening good chance it is lubrication that is needed. Splitters scrape off you have steep grade changes. Drive slow and approach at an angle. Ensure car is not lowered. Then live with what ya got.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dennis Bernal:
Chevette!?!? (08-16-2021), Chomorro (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 09:16 PM
Chomorro
Racer

Originally Posted by Dennis Bernal
Leather looks fine. Maybe a hair dryer to tighten. Tires look fine. What do tread life indicators show?

Trunk or door not operable is an issue. Should work first try, every time. If you hear something happening good chance it is lubrication that is needed. Splitters scrape off you have steep grade changes. Drive slow and approach at an angle. Ensure car is not lowered. Then live with what ya got.
my 24 hour test drive ends at lunch tomorrow. I'm wondering what I can get them to fix before signing paper work. Going to drive it some more tonight and make sure I want it.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:38 PM
Kangarew
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Simple fix for the door, hatch and remote not present warning, they’re all 3 caused by the same issue—you need to replace the battery in your remote.

Tires look OK to me, but check the inboard edges (can’t see this in the pics).

Try to negotiate a replacement splitter with Carmax. Those can be semi-expensive, especially if painted.

Lots of people scrape on low dips. What is scraping?—if it’s just the flexible air dams, many people just remove them. With them removed, it won’t affect handling or cooling unless you plan to track your car.

Having a wheel catch air while pulling into the garage won’t cause any issues, it’s just demonstrates how rigid your frame is. The eLSD is kicking in just like it’s supposed to.

Since your door leather is starting to sag, run it by an upholstery shop and get a quick estimate for a repair. They should be able to loosen the door panel and tug/tighten it.

Last edited by Kangarew; 08-15-2021 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:39 PM
Chomorro
Racer

Originally Posted by Kangarew
Simple fix for the door, hatch and remote not present warning, they’re all 3 caused by the same issue—you need to replace the battery in your remote.

Tires look OK to me, but check the inboard edges (can’t see this in the pics).

Try to negotiate a replacement splitter with Carmax. Those can be semi-expensive, especially if painted.

Lots of people scrape on low dips. What is scraping?—if it’s just the flexible air dams, many people just remove them. With them removed, it won’t affect handling or cooling unless you plan to track your car.

Having a wheel catch air while pulling into the garage won’t cause any issues, it’s just demonstrates how rigid your frame is. The eLSD is kicking in just like it’s supposed to.

Since your door leather is starting to sag, run it by an upholstery shop and get a quick estimate for a repair. They should be able to loosen the door panel and tug/tighten it.
Excellent points thank you! I more worried about scraping with so much upward pressure that it will break the front bumper clips . Not sure of that's a thing in this car.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:02 AM
Chomorro
Racer

Taking out for night drive and I got the 19 psi rear tire warning. I wish I could get it on a lift to check for cracked wheels.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:39 AM
DrivesWithTwoFeet
Drifting

Received 916 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Chomorro
Taking out for night drive and I got the 19 psi rear tire warning. I wish I could get it on a lift to check for cracked wheels.
I would suggest taking the car to a trusted mechanic to thoroughly go over the entire car before purchasing. Good luck with purchase.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:40 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,037 Likes on 2,908 Posts

I'd take it back immediately. Find one in perfect condition for the same or less money, with a Certified GM Extended Warranty in place. They're out there. GL!
The following 5 users liked this post by Skid Row Joe:
Bayshore Vette (09-14-2021), Casper001 (08-16-2021), pasquale91 (08-16-2021), Raidercop (09-14-2021), Scruff Vette (08-19-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 01:44 AM
Goat 2 Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 483 Likes on 286 Posts

How many miles are on it?
Old 08-16-2021, 02:03 AM
Chomorro
Racer

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
I'd take it back immediately. Find one in perfect condition for the same or less money, with a Certified GM Extended Warranty in place. They're out there. GL!
Havent found this color combo with ceramic brakes M7 and comp seats in the past 4 to 5 months I have been searching. I found another one close to it but 6k more.
Originally Posted by Goat 2 Vette
How many miles are on it?
32k miles. Previous owner left the PDR card in there so i saw some valet dealer service videos on there lol.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:32 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,780 Likes on 3,045 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'd want the splitter fixed as well as new batteries in the fobs
The following users liked this post:
Chomorro (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 07:37 AM
Luzifer
Pro

Received 249 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Trunk hatch not opening may also be due to sticky weather seal, silicone lube.
The following 3 users liked this post by Luzifer:
Chomorro (08-16-2021), Greenlizard (08-16-2021), JMII (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 08:16 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 426 Likes on 301 Posts

Too many gremlins for me. That low air pressure sounds like a cracked wheel issue. Having to replace the wheels will eat up that $6K difference between this and the other car you were looking at. Unless you like to tinker with your cars I would keep looking or at the minimum get it inspected.

If you post a picture of your garage and the entrance angle somebody might have a suggestion on how to reduce the scraping.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Bigredwing; 08-16-2021 at 08:18 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bigredwing:
Bayshore Vette (09-14-2021), c5arlen (09-14-2021), Chomorro (08-16-2021), Rabbi (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 08:46 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

I would pass on it, too many so called minor issues for me and that could just be the start of a long list of problems.
The following 7 users liked this post by dvilin:
Bayshore Vette (09-14-2021), Chomorro (08-16-2021), Kevin A Jones (08-16-2021), legacypgmr (08-16-2021), orca1946 (09-14-2021), Rabbi (08-16-2021), Scruff Vette (08-19-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-16-2021, 09:38 AM
Chomorro
Racer

Originally Posted by Luzifer
Trunk hatch not opening may also be due to sticky weather seal, silicone lube.
It opens perfectly fine with the rear button. I think the remote may be dying.

Drove it all night last night no issues with the door or turning off the car. This morning will be the cold start test and I will check the pressure again and see if the tires are leaking. I think some of these gremlins might be me not knowing about the car since it's my first vette.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:57 AM
Chomorro
Racer

Originally Posted by Bigredwing
Too many gremlins for me. That low air pressure sounds like a cracked wheel issue. Having to replace the wheels will eat up that $6K difference between this and the other car you were looking at. Unless you like to tinker with your cars I would keep looking or at the minimum get it inspected.

If you post a picture of your garage and the entrance angle somebody might have a suggestion on how to reduce the scraping.

Best of luck!
I looked at the other grand sport and it doesnt have ceramic brakes, comp seats, or carbon fiber dash but does have only 10k miles. It's at a franchise dealer as well and lately they have all been adding another 2k+ in mandatory options on used cars......still on factory GS wheels as well.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:58 AM
Rabbi
Deal Maker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 421 Likes on 250 Posts

Get them to fix everything, if possible. The car's not all that nice and I'm sure they have room to fix it all. Be difficult and start to leave if they hesitate. It's a lot of money so make sure you are comfortable with the car.
Chomorro (08-16-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Picked up my new to me grand sport, some concerns

Old 08-16-2021, 10:21 AM
Chomorro
Racer

Originally Posted by Rabbi
Get them to fix everything, if possible. The car's not all that nice and I'm sure they have room to fix it all. Be difficult and start to leave if they hesitate. It's a lot of money so make sure you are comfortable with the car.
thanks you! starting to feel a little better I checked the rear wheel this morning and no cracks but there is a nail. It was down 6 psi this morning so they should be able to take care of that. One of the remotes given has a dead battery which solves the remote trunk.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:21 AM
Punisher44
Racer

Received 244 Likes on 141 Posts

As far as the drivers door not opening when you push the unlock it could be operator error. Does the door partially open then not unlock again? I have done this a few times hit the unlock and just open the door a little let go of the button and it won't open. It is in limbo you can move the door just not open it no matter how many times I hit the unlock button it just makes the noise and doesn't unlock. I have to use the manual release (huh huh he said manual release). If your issue is you push the unlock and it just doesn't open at all I would tell them to fix the lock. I would also negotiate the rear tire tell them to take off the price of a new tire mounted and balanced. Then just plug the tire yourself if they say they will plug it tell them you don't feel comfortable with a plug it could get you some money back. If they say they will replace it they have to replace both back tires to match that would be the best cost savings, I doubt the do both tires but one can try. Good luck with the new car.
Chomorro (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 11:33 AM
Chomorro
Racer

Originally Posted by Punisher44
As far as the drivers door not opening when you push the unlock it could be operator error. Does the door partially open then not unlock again? I have done this a few times hit the unlock and just open the door a little let go of the button and it won't open. It is in limbo you can move the door just not open it no matter how many times I hit the unlock button it just makes the noise and doesn't unlock. I have to use the manual release (huh huh he said manual release). If your issue is you push the unlock and it just doesn't open at all I would tell them to fix the lock. I would also negotiate the rear tire tell them to take off the price of a new tire mounted and balanced. Then just plug the tire yourself if they say they will plug it tell them you don't feel comfortable with a plug it could get you some money back. If they say they will replace it they have to replace both back tires to match that would be the best cost savings, I doubt the do both tires but one can try. Good luck with the new car.
This is exactly what was happening! It was opening slightly then wont unlock again. Definitely operator error. At least something isn't broken, thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Picked up my new to me grand sport, some concerns