Sponsored by:

Temp gauge not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 09:50 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 477 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28TOZO6
yes i see one there but there is an identical sensor on the driver side too. See in my pix?
The only one I know of is on the passenger side I dont know what sensor is on the drivers side
Old 11-05-2023, 08:44 AM
thompstl1
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 90 Posts

When I bought my 2018 Z06 and was driving home from the dealer, I noticed it was running cooler than it should (around 165 degrees). The dealer told me that was "normal" on my car. When driving in cooler weather, the rpm redline on my tach would drop back indicating I shouldn't red-line my rpm due to the engine being cool (that occurs at anything below 163 degrees on my car).

I'd read that others had a similar problem and decided to change the thermostat because I was convinced it really was a cooler than specified temperature, by watching the oil temperatures etc. So, I ordered a new OEM thermostat and replaced it. I was surprised that the temperature ran at exactly the same temperature as the original thermostat that came new in the car.

I lived with that for quite a while, reading more posts by people on this forum who experienced a similar issue. So, I bought a non-oem thermostat from Rock Auto that actually described the thermostat as being a 190 degree thermostat. Last week I installed that thermostat (the 3rd one since I bought my car) and my temperature is perfect now.

On a cool morning, the temperature goes up to about 205 degrees (indicated), the oil temperature goes up appropriately and then as the system stabilizes it runs at about 195 degrees.

I've concluded the OEM thermostats (at least some of them), open too soon and don't allow your car to run at the design temperature. That's consistent with my experience, and of others I've read about on this forum. Apparently some of the OEM thermostats run at the proper temperature and some don't. An unusual problem and one I've never encountered previously.

I hope my experience helps some of you who may have experienced a similar problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by thompstl1:
Leroyt10 (11-05-2023), outrunm (11-29-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 04:20 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,372 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Not sure if this means anything, but...
When I take our 2017 Z51 into a touchless automatic car wash, both the coolant and oil temps drop considerably from the water spray. Eventually they go back to normal but it takes several minutes.
Years ago the coolant thermostat on this car was not closing properly sometimes, both temps would occasionally drop by about 20' for no reason. I had the thermostat replaced and the "temps drop for no reason" problem disappeared, but I still get the big temp drops in the car wash.
Old 11-06-2023, 12:17 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,269 Likes on 3,495 Posts

"Glitches" can reset, as yours did; other things like faulty senders (which I've had on another Vette engine) don't. Drive it and see what happens. Like so many of these kinds of things you may never see it again, or maybe in the morning? No predictability. (btw, I had something similar on my new C5 back in the day, dealer could do nothing, hasn't happened since... just sayin')
Old 11-06-2023, 09:12 AM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 559 Likes on 212 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I had this issue (analog coolant temp gauge at zero, fan running at high speed when engine turned off, and AC not working) on a recent trip to a car show. I was freaked out and watched by oil temp like a hawk until I got home.

After doing A LOT of research online and here on CF, I was pretty convinced it was due to the thermostat. I also found that the issue had temporarily(?) corrected itself, so I took a drive (Florida, high 80s) and noticed that my coolant temp never got above 175 degrees. All indications were that this was too cool and was the root cause for this issue occurring.

I bought a RockAuto OEM replacement thermostat w/ housing (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...pt=2200&jsn=10) and installed it this weekend. Went for a long drive and the coolant temp leveled out at 195 degrees. Hopefully, no more issues!!

I went ahead and also changed the coolant temp sensor (2016 located on drivers side) while I was at it. The original one is probably fine, so I have a back-up now if ever needed.

Last edited by MacA1979; 11-07-2023 at 08:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MacA1979:
CorvetteMike2024 (11-06-2023), thompstl1 (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 10:34 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28TOZO6
I dug this old thread up so forgive me gents. new to me 2016 stingray and my coolant was reading 100 degrees. fans stay on has been mentioned here. I bought a sensor to replace it but I watched 2 vids and 1 showed it on front passenger side above the water pump. another one shows it on driver side just under the harness which is it!!

The coolant temp sensor was in one location in earlier C7s, and was moved for later C7s. See below pic. The above pic is the oil pressure sensor (with the horizontal plug).

Last edited by ersatz928; 11-06-2023 at 11:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Maxpowers (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 11:02 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,838 Posts

^^^^
That settles that
Old 11-06-2023, 01:04 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 938 Likes on 619 Posts

There are 3 reasons this can occur:

1. Bad ECC Sensor
2. Bad Thermostat
3. Bad Battery

If the code sets even in hot weather, its 1 or 2, but in cooler weather and if it sets intermittently its your battery. The sensor apparently can report "low" values when it has an abnormally high resistance (and thus a lower voltage).

It happened to me right before I put the car away. I idled it later in my garage, and checked the temp (sensor reports correct values) and to see if the thermostat was stuck open (it was not car warmed up when idling). So for me its replace my 7.5 year old battery in the spring and see if that fixes it.

Quick Reply: Temp gauge not working