C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 sway bars choices?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 01:28 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts
Default C7 sway bars choices?

ok im growing very old waiting for C7 GM T1 package(sway bars), and like any bars would be a guess in they are the best for my z51 non mag ride car. i see LG motorsports have bars(and a few others) but their is not much information on them( my point is are they like c7 zo6 bars or c7 zo6/zo7 bars or like the c7 T1 bars if they ever come out?) it would be great if i only had to buy sway bars once, dollar wise one of the GMs would be best, can any one help me on this? i have a z51 non mag ride at stock ride height and only want to add sway bars!! my car last week at ponoco felt(and i was told looked) like the love boat swaying left to right, i run A7's so i have tons of GRIP. thanks for reading.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:42 PM
Little Red Corvette1
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 C7 of the Year Finalist
Default I too would like feedback on sway bars for the love boat....

I was looking at the aFe Control PFADT Series Sway Bar Set.
Not sure on recommendations.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:45 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Little Red Corvette1
I was looking at the aFe Control PFADT Series Sway Bar Set.
Not sure on recommendations.
You hit the nail on the head! We just don't know what will work with my/your needs. I'm pricing out c7 zo6 and zo7 sways right now, I have to start somewhere and their cost is far less than aftermarket. Wish me luck!
Old 06-19-2015, 04:05 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I went ahead (putting my past experiences aside) and ordered an aFe/Pfadt sway bar set.

Arrived today - I'll put some impressions up over the weekend, assuming I can stand the heat and humidity in the garage. If nothing else, I'll post some real pics up today so we can at least see a kit in the flesh instead of on a website.

Even I don't have the measurements on the Z06/Z07 bars, but I know these are still much larger according to their specs.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:14 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Theta
I went ahead (putting my past experiences aside) and ordered an aFe/Pfadt sway bar set.

Arrived today - I'll put some impressions up over the weekend, assuming I can stand the heat and humidity in the garage. If nothing else, I'll post some real pics up today so we can at least see a kit in the flesh instead of on a website.

Even I don't have the measurements on the Z06/Z07 bars, but I know these are still much larger according to their specs.
There are so many popping up lately, Ben x, LG, WCC , ect all have bars with no testing that I trust, I can't wait to hear what you think about those, what made you give these a try first? Other than cost the reason im trying zo6/zo7 bars first is the base car loves the z51 bars so just maybe the zo7 bars will be enough for z51 car, there is a point when you can have to much bar, im going the safe way first, I just don't know! Which one just that I need more.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by savage
There are so many popping up lately, Ben x, LG, WCC , ect all have bars with no testing that I trust, I can't wait to hear what you think about those, what made you give these a try first? Other than cost the reason im trying zo6/zo7 bars first is the base car loves the z51 bars so just maybe the zo7 bars will be enough for z51 car, there is a point when you can have to much bar, im going the safe way first, I just don't know! Which one just that I need more.
Well it certainly wasn't the orange powder coating.

In the past, (and beyond the my issues with the previous company regarding headers and the S/C) I'd always heard good things about their suspension products.

I spoke to an aFe rep regarding how the business was being operated now, and how the products were being produced/tested. It seemed like a decent gamble based on previous products that people raved about on the C5/C6. They asked if I could give them an honest impression of my feelings on them, and if I wasn't satisfied, they'd take them right back.

Figured I'd give it a shot, especially since they're adjustable. I'll either start on the middle or least-aggressive setting since they're quite large-diameter bars.

If nothing else, if I end up liking them, you'll know I have no allegiance to the company. It was, however, nice to speak to them about the past issues and see how they resolved everything. Kind of closed that chapter for me, so I gave it a go. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:01 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Sence you brought it up, they picked the right guy to test their bars, on your say so myself and about??? Forum members will buy these bars. No pressure on you, lol , just let me know what setting is best for a point and shoot autocrosser 60 to 90 MPH, thanks
Old 06-19-2015, 07:55 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

I chose the LG bars.
Based on reports from Lou, where he said he is "gathering up" Z06s with his C7 which has his bars.
I'll be trying them out next weekend.
But I also have ordered wider wheels, and will be running much wider tires
(maybe 305x30x19 front, and for sure 315x30x20 rear... Toyo r888)
Autocross loves wide tires.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:43 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
I chose the LG bars.
Based on reports from Lou, where he said he is "gathering up" Z06s with his C7 which has his bars.
I'll be trying them out next weekend.
But I also have ordered wider wheels, and will be running much wider tires
(maybe 305x30x19 front, and for sure 315x30x20 rear... Toyo r888)
Autocross loves wide tires.
Thanks for joining the party, how many settings does the LG bars have front? Rear? Did you buy the end links too? Do you really need the LG end links? F.Y. I with you two men doing testing and posting im going to put the zo7 bars idea on hold.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:11 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Yes, I bought the end links too.
LG told me I would "destroy" the stock ones with their bars.
Fronts have 2 holes for connecting , rears only 1.
I'm going to try the fronts on "soft" first.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:53 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Yes, I bought the end links too.
Good decision.

I'm not so sure about "destroying" the stock links, but for sure increased wear and tear and quicker failure than with stock bars. Would be much worse if you were lowered.

Regardless, it's 100% the right move.

I'm interested to see your input on the bars.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:34 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

someone please prove my dealer parts guy is wrong!, as i wait to hear from Theta and NTmd8r on their thoughts of aftermarket bars they have in hand. i stopped by my dealer for c7 zo6 and zo7 part numbers. after one hour of putting my FE3 next to the c7 zo6's FE6 and the zo7's FE7 he told me that all three front sway bars are the same(z51, zo6,zo7)only the bushing on the zo7 is different from my z51 and the zo6 which are the same, on the rear bar he said the zo6 and zo7 are different than z51 and both have their own bushing, so z07 bushing are not zo6 ones. he called the zo6 FE6 the performance suspension and the zo7 FE7 suspension the heavy duty one, in the end for me to upgrade to firmer i would have to go with 4 zo7 bushing and the zo6/zo7 rear bar. f.y.i. all end links are the same, can someone please prove him wrong! thanks, also if he's not wrong i just found a upgrade for z51 for under $160.00
Old 06-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

That's interesting to say the least - from the aftermarket companies' findings, the Z06 bars did prove to be thicker (greater diameter) than the Z51 bars.

I can guarantee you they are different part numbers (which doesn't mean much, but still)...
Old 06-22-2015, 03:54 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

That's interesting to say the least - from the aftermarket companies' findings, the Z06 bars did prove to be thicker (greater diameter) than the Z51 bars.

I can guarantee you they are different part numbers (which doesn't mean much, but still)...
Back to the drawing board, lol
Old 06-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

There's always the chance - until I see it with my own eyes, I don't like to confirm things. Could be several other possibilities - internal thickness, small changes that aren't immediately noticeable, etc.

I've been told by two sway bar manufacturers that the Z06 bars are slightly larger than the Z51 bars, but not by enough to justify the cost or time involved in upgrading.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:05 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

I just installed the LG bars on my Convertible this morning.
The LG bars are the same size (diameter) as the stock ones,
because the bushings are stock size.
But the rear bar seems heavier, and the front bar is larger diameter in the
center section.

And we also installed Ferrodo 2500 brake pads.

So, next weekend.... both Saturday and Sunday we have back to back Autocrosses.

Of course, I STILL don't have my new wheels, so still running on the R888
265/35/19 and 285/35/20.

We'll see how things go.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:12 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I just installed the LG bars on my Convertible this morning.
The LG bars are the same size (diameter) as the stock ones,
because the bushings are stock size.
But the rear bar seems heavier, and the front bar is larger diameter in the
center section.

And we also installed Ferrodo 2500 brake pads.

So, next weekend.... both Saturday and Sunday we have back to back Autocrosses.

Of course, I STILL don't have my new wheels, so still running on the R888
265/35/19 and 285/35/20.

We'll see how things go.
Can't speak to the 285/35 rears, but you should have no problem with these in AutoX - 305/30 (once they were moved in) have been great for that purpose. Hoping for even less body roll with the new bars - these things are thick as hell, so I'd say that is a given.

Glad that we were able to do these at a similar time with similar tires. I know people will sneer, but I usually use PTM in Dry mode to cut power when doing AutoX. I've spun out using Sport 1 and Sport 2 - too much power to control. I think I'd get myself killed turning all of them off (with the 6 second hold), and I've been racing (though not many AutoX) for years.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 sway bars choices?

Old 06-22-2015, 04:40 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

There's always the chance - until I see it with my own eyes, I don't like to confirm things. Could be several other possibilities - internal thickness, small changes that aren't immediately noticeable, etc.

I've been told by two sway bar manufacturers that the Z06 bars are slightly larger than the Z51 bars, but not by enough to justify the cost or time involved in upgrading.
Parts guy did say rears are not the same, tomorrow morning i will go to different dealership and try to order a zo7 front bar if it's same number as my z51 i will post tomorrow
Old 06-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

The front Z06 bar is 24mm (0.94-inch) - still trying to get info on the rear.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:35 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

The Z51 car has excellent balance right out-of-the-box--I'm just interested in a slightly bigger front bar, so I can run more front tire, and will leave the rear bar as-is.

Quick Reply: C7 sway bars choices?