C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablew Tune Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mm_
if I am going to commit to (possibly) throwing my warranty away I want the 1/4 mile gains to be worth it, that's all.
point.

If you up the risk of a possible warranty issue (and it's the kind of thing that gets a person worried a lot)... why not go all out w/heads/cams/headers/blower?

Even if a tune alone gets a full 30hp on a C7 LT1... that's only a 6.5% increase. It's not like on a 120hp Civic... where a 30hp gain equates to a 25% gain.

Like mentioned earlier, there's a lot more than just dyno numbers though; driveability improvements go a long way in increasing the SMILE factor during your daily commute.

On my 2002 C5 A4, I went from a 13.3 1/4 mile to 13.0x with rear gears and converter. No tuning at this point.

Then with the Diablosport, I improved further to 12.89; mainly AFR and shifting enhancements.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:46 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
point.

If you up the risk of a possible warranty issue (and it's the kind of thing that gets a person worried a lot)... why not go all out w/heads/cams/headers/blower?

Even if a tune alone gets a full 30hp on a C7 LT1... that's only a 6.5% increase. It's not like on a 120hp Civic... where a 30hp gain equates to a 25% gain.

Like mentioned earlier, there's a lot more than just dyno numbers though; driveability improvements go a long way in increasing the SMILE factor during your daily commute.

On my 2002 C5 A4, I went from a 13.3 1/4 mile to 13.0x with rear gears and converter. No tuning at this point.

Then with the Diablosport, I improved further to 12.89; mainly AFR and shifting enhancements.
The main reason I'm not doing heads/cam/blower is because I have a nitrous kit. I spent $850 and can make all the power I want without all the money and labor of doing heads and a cam. Sure blower cars can make huge power but I would never be able to utilize that on stock tires, and I'm just not ready to go to a drag radial yet (if ever). My last car had a blower AND drag radials and I still couldn't come close to utilizing all that power in a practical way. Those engine mods put strain on the engine every time you drive it, nitrous only adds strain when I am at the drag strip, with a safe tune and high octane it's IMO easier on my engine than a blower.

I want to cherry pick the factory restrictions, and find the sweet spot for bolt ons. Which based on my research is intake and headers. I have seen some decent gains from ported intake manifolds and e85 but those just aren't for me (no stations nearby and I don't want to permanently modify my stock intake manifold).

So really what I'm after is a safe tune to make the most out of my headers and CAI, and a device I can pull timing with at the drag strip when I spray. Diablo/lew still sounds like it fits that bill the best, but I always like to do as much research as I can. I would rather have a tune that drives/idles properly and leaves 3 hp on the table than one that squeaks out every last (and sometimes dangerous) hp and isn't smooth and proper.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:48 AM
cobra502
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Cant look too far into that without seeing the curves...were there gains below peak power?
Was there evidence of knock up top?
Was there any logging done on the dyno?

I've said it a million times, using a dyno just to get numbers is a waste of time...

Mikey,

I can’t believe you keep coming up with more excuses. I bought your product, I used it and had a Diablosport expert tuner tune it. The numbers I reported tell the tale. That “nasty” old dyno gave me more HP and TQ and better overall performance. Yeah, I really wasted my time and money. I’ll bet you have a pocket full of deflecting questions ready to go.

Oh, on the brighter side of things, I do like your logging function. Have a great day!

Old 08-14-2015, 11:15 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

anyone use there 0-60 data recorder to see if the tune did any improvements?

I'm using the standard Diablo tune, The first one on the list (I'm assuming that is the most powerful of the tunes). Honestly doesn't feel much different.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:46 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by chefcg1
anyone use there 0-60 data recorder to see if the tune did any improvements?

I'm using the standard Diablo tune, The first one on the list (I'm assuming that is the most powerful of the tunes). Honestly doesn't feel much different.
I have not seen anyone try the 0-60 or 40-100 timer to verify this either, maybe some people that already have the tunes installed can try it out?
Old 08-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

0-60 is tricky, if the tune does its job and leads to reduced traction, 0-60 time will suffer...
Old 08-14-2015, 07:11 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah that's why I think the 40-100 is pretty good as long as you're on a flat road.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:34 PM
REDBULLIT
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
0-60 is tricky, if the tune does its job and leads to reduced traction, 0-60 time will suffer...
I thought if the car would spin it would make 0-60 quicker.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:50 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by REDBULLIT
Not the case, loss of traction=loss of forward movement
Old 08-15-2015, 02:55 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by REDBULLIT
your kidding right ?
Old 08-15-2015, 03:02 PM
ect
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diablo lew's tunes must be warranty safe , they make less power. I have the diablo 91 oct afe tune and got 15hp and 5tk . Dissapointing and when calling the techs because of this result got lots of excuses
Old 08-15-2015, 04:31 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Originally Posted by ect
Diablo lew's tunes must be warranty safe , they make less power. I have the diablo 91 oct afe tune and got 15hp and 5tk . Dissapointing and when calling the techs because of this result got lots of excuses
they make less power because they are made within a greater margin of safety build into them.

When you get a custom tune, they are able to make more power safely by reading your cars data. knowing exactly how far they can push it.

just because one tune makes less than other tune doesnt mean it voids less warranty lol
Old 08-15-2015, 04:39 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
point.

I think voiding a warranty becomes worth it when you at least have long tube headers. at that point you can make decent power, and make a insane sounding car.

I dont think you need to go ***** to the wall for it to be worth it. plus cam, heads and blower is not cheap.

tuning a stock car for 20 more HP that could void your warranty doesnt seem worth it to me. even if the engine FEELS a lot better. i would be pissed off if something OEM broke, and they blamed the tune which of course didn't cause the failure.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 08-15-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:40 PM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
I think voiding a warranty becomes worth it when you at least have long tube headers. at that point you can make decent power, and make a insane sounding car.

I dont think you need to go ***** to the wall for it to be worth it. plus cam, heads and blower is not cheap.

tuning a stock car for 20 more HP that could void your warranty doesnt seem worth it to me. even if the engine FEELS a lot better. i would be pissed off if something OEM broke, and they blamed the tune which of course didn't cause the failure.
Yeah, you're right on all counts.

I have the Trifecta tune with the only mechanical mod a drop-in Airaid (dry) filter. I'm very pleased with result in terms of throttle response, AFM/DOD de-activation, and transmission/torque converter operation. Trifecta claims motor 30 ft-lbs at 3550 rpm and 25 ft-lbs at peak 4600 rpm. I never dyno the car, so I can't verify. I think GM leaves some mid-range torque on the table, so the car don't use as much fuel for both economy and emissions reasons.

I paid in advance for an upgrade, so headers are next and maybe a CAI, like the looks of that new LMR CAI and of the ARH mid-length headers with cats.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:14 PM
Renocorvette
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Anybody ever dyno a Diablew tune?

I know a few people have posted results from the canned Diablo tunes but I couldn't find anyone who dyno'd Lew's tune.
I went from 12.2@116 to 11.9@120 with crappy 2.0 60fts with a diablew tune, ARH headers and filter. Car runs very smooth and i am looking forward to another diablew tune for my 16 zo6 on order.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:04 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Originally Posted by Renocorvette
I went from 12.2@116 to 11.9@120 with crappy 2.0 60fts with a diablew tune, ARH headers and filter. Car runs very smooth and i am looking forward to another diablew tune for my 16 zo6 on order.
once again. we are seeing results from a modded car.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Dangerous Don
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep I saw him make the same comment somewhere on the board as well.

I have no doubt that it will feel a lot better, but if I am going to commit to (possibly) throwing my warranty away I want the 1/4 mile gains to be worth it, that's all. I haven't found any back to back passes or dyno pulls comparing stock to your tune or to the canned tune so I figured I would make a thread.
Well my car with ARH Longtubes and off road pipes on stock tires with no tune ran a 12.5x, same night I uploaded the can 93 octane tune and ran a 12.3x and then flashed in diablew's tune and ran a 12.1x, so I'd say she works.

Also each race was done twice with consistent times for each tune. Car us a '15 z51 a8.

Get notified of new replies

To Diablew Tune Dyno

Old 08-16-2015, 04:50 PM
cobra502
Instructor

Anybody ever dyno a Diablew tune?

I know a few people have posted results from the canned Diablo tunes but I couldn't find anyone who dyno'd Lew's tune.

See #9 below.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:52 PM
cobra502
Instructor

Originally Posted by cobra502
See #9 below.

OOPPs! See #9 above.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Wormwood
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

If you want to see Diablew's history as an enthusiast gone professional, all you have to do is Google his username 06MonteSS. He's obviously not ashamed of what he's ever said or questions he's asked. The Internet is an amazing thing, but via the tuning forums you can follow his growth & experience as tuner for yourself. Now how would you fair under that kind of scrutiny at everyone's fingertips???

I've followed his threads before he even bought the CMR software. His tuning knowledge & attention to individual needs is excellent. Am I a "Fan Boy", sure, just as anyone else who has followed his threads over the years. He knows what he's doing, but please don't take my word for it, read it for yourself, It's literally a ~10 year resume online, Google is your friend.

Wormwood

Quick Reply: Diablew Tune Dyno