C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablew Tune Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 12:16 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Wormwood
If you want to see Diablew's history as an enthusiast gone professional, all you have to do is Google his username 06MonteSS. He's obviously not ashamed of what he's ever said or questions he's asked. The Internet is an amazing thing, but via the tuning forums you can follow his growth & experience as tuner for yourself. Now how would you fair under that kind of scrutiny at everyone's fingertips???

I've followed his threads before he even bought the CMR software. His tuning knowledge & attention to individual needs is excellent. Am I a "Fan Boy", sure, just as anyone else who has followed his threads over the years. He knows what he's doing, but please don't take my word for it, read it for yourself, It's literally a ~10 year resume online, Google is your friend.

Wormwood
You're speaking to his reputation and customer service, which nobody can deny.

What I asked about what power/performance increase on a C7.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:17 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Renocorvette
I went from 12.2@116 to 11.9@120 with crappy 2.0 60fts with a diablew tune, ARH headers and filter. Car runs very smooth and i am looking forward to another diablew tune for my 16 zo6 on order.
You did headers filter and tune all at once? Or you picked up that much from the tune alone?
Old 08-18-2015, 09:15 AM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

and I'm not confident that when cobra did those dyno pulls, swapping tunes back and forth, that he even had the custom tune installed correctly, or at all.. because every time I had sent him a custom tune file, he was never able to get it installed correctly the first time.. would take him a few tries to finally do it right... so am I confident that he got it right the very first time when swapping tunes to do the dyno pulls and that my custom tune was actually loaded during the pull? no...
Old 08-18-2015, 11:48 AM
cobra502
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
and I'm not confident that when cobra did those dyno pulls, swapping tunes back and forth, that he even had the custom tune installed correctly, or at all.. because every time I had sent him a custom tune file, he was never able to get it installed correctly the first time.. would take him a few tries to finally do it right... so am I confident that he got it right the very first time when swapping tunes to do the dyno pulls and that my custom tune was actually loaded during the pull? no...

See, I told you that you were going to be unhappy with me. I’m sorry the numbers worked out against you, but people wanted some data about your tunes. Now you have gone defensive on me with words that I cannot figure out what you’re saying. I’m not going down that rabbit hole. The numbers are the numbers, good or bad.

By the way, my C7 went on the dyno with your tune in it. It was the first pull, no heat soak or any other excuse you can come up with. I still love ya, man….

Old 08-18-2015, 03:57 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Well crap
Old 08-18-2015, 04:11 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra502
See, I told you that you were going to be unhappy with me. I’m sorry the numbers worked out against you, but people wanted some data about your tunes. Now you have gone defensive on me with words that I cannot figure out what you’re saying. I’m not going down that rabbit hole. The numbers are the numbers, good or bad.

By the way, my C7 went on the dyno with your tune in it. It was the first pull, no heat soak or any other excuse you can come up with. I still love ya, man….

lol
Old 08-18-2015, 10:27 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Diablew Tune Dyno

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
yes i understand that, i am pretty big on getting my car tuned. I use to drive a heavily modded LS3 camaro.

My problem is that diablo says the tune is worth 30WHP, but we as a forum lack real before and after dyno runs.

Heres the thing. My local shop (livernois motorsport) with a custom tuned C7 were able to make 30WHP over stock. I trust them, and therefore i know its possible to get this gains.

for now i will want and see.
Was it your car getting 30 whp from a tune???

30 is a very high number on tune alone...
Old 08-18-2015, 10:37 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL
Was it your car getting 30 whp from a tune???

30 is a very high number on tune alone...
nope. its on the higher side, but i wont doubt it if you could get 20W from a custom tune. not these canned.

my point is that at least they will show your car on the dyno stock, then right aright tune it and you see the gains right in person.

these diablo tunes, its crazy how much lack of data we have. everyone bases there gains off feelings of the engine. its crazy.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 08-18-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Chrjones2
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Lew,
I know you’re going to hate me, this but is the God’s awful truth. When you decided not to help me tuning for E85, saying you never used it and never will use it, I had no alternative but to go with someone else. This time around I chose to tune on a dyno instead email tuning. To make a long story short we first did dynos on the OEM tune from the factory vs the last tune you did for me. The results were your tune was 413.66hp/411.25tq and the stock tune was 417.37hp/418.40tq. Then the tuner retuned with his changes and got 424.26hp/424.96tq. I guess all email tunes are not equal.

I’m not trying to “dis” you, I just wanted to tell my story and what I have found out about email tuning for the forum. I too (using the seat of the pants test) thought I was getting somewhere. You don’t really know what you have until you put it on a dyno. There was a significant difference between your tune and theirs (seat of the pants and otherwise). I guess this your first "C7-specific users report...".

By the way, I picked up another 23hp/20tq with E85 (actually E65 for the test) and an E85 tune.

Im not really sure how this post is fair to Lew. I don't know Lew, never talked to him in my life

His tune could have made 10 less rwtq and rwhp and still have been 2-3 tenths faster in the 1/4 mile easily. You never said if there was knock on the high end of the pull.

Most importantly, you never said what the power looked like throughout the whole curve??

Unless your trying to make your car into a dynoqueen then we need more info about the whole pull, not just the peak...
Old 08-19-2015, 01:14 PM
cobra502
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chrjones2
Im not really sure how this post is fair to Lew. I don't know Lew, never talked to him in my life

His tune could have made 10 less rwtq and rwhp and still have been 2-3 tenths faster in the 1/4 mile easily. You never said if there was knock on the high end of the pull.

Most importantly, you never said what the power looked like throughout the whole curve??

Unless your trying to make your car into a dynoqueen then we need more info about the whole pull, not just the peak...

Here are the dyno sheets. I hope this helps.

This is Diablew vs Stock

This is Diablew vs PowerFab

Old 08-19-2015, 02:35 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Here are the dyno sheets. I hope this helps.

This is Diablew vs Stock

This is Diablew vs PowerFab

I thought you said you pulled Lew's first then stock. Wouldn't that make Lew's run file 002 and stock run file 003?
Old 08-19-2015, 03:17 PM
cobra502
Instructor

Originally Posted by 10mm_
I thought you said you pulled Lew's first then stock. Wouldn't that make Lew's run file 002 and stock run file 003?

Look, enough is enough. This is what was given to me at the shop. I don’t know from 002, 003 or any other number. My car came into the shop, went on the dyno with Lew’s tune in it, a pull was made, the stock tune was loaded, another pull was made with the stock tune, and then the other pulls were made with PowerFab’s tunes.

If you think this is an assassination on Lew’s reputation you need to pull your head out of your ***. Yeah, I’m going to take the time to doctor up a document just so I can dump on a guy who I like and respect. Maybe in time (I’m sure) he would have fixed it, but I wanted E85 and Lew didn’t want to do it so I had to go another way.

When Lew was lying in a bed in the hospital very ill I made a donation to him to help with his huge bill. Ask him, he’ll tell you. Now, what sinister thing can you make out of that?

Old 08-19-2015, 03:23 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Look, enough is enough. This is what was given to me at the shop. I don’t know from 002, 003 or any other number. My car came into the shop, went on the dyno with Lew’s tune in it, a pull was made, the stock tune was loaded, another pull was made with the stock tune, and then the other pulls were made with PowerFab’s tunes.

If you think this is an assassination on Lew’s reputation you need to pull your head out of your ***. Yeah, I’m going to take the time to doctor up a document just so I can dump on a guy who I like and respect. Maybe in time (I’m sure) he would have fixed it, but I wanted E85 and Lew didn’t want to do it so I had to go another way.

When Lew was lying in a bed in the hospital very ill I made a donation to him to help with his huge bill. Ask him, he’ll tell you. Now, what sinister thing can you make out of that?

I just asked a simple question, not sure why you're getting all fired up.

Usually dynos record the runs in order and you mentioned you pulled Lew's first so I asked, that's all.

I'm just looking for facts, not trying to make anybody out to be bad or good. You sound awfully defensive for a guy "just telling it like it is".
Old 08-19-2015, 03:40 PM
cobra502
Instructor

i just asked a simple question, not sure why you're getting all fired up.

Usually dynos record the runs in order and you mentioned you pulled lew's first so i asked, that's all.

I'm just looking for facts, not trying to make anybody out to be bad or good. You sound awfully defensive for a guy "just telling it like it is".

lolv

Old 08-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I would always ask, were you happy with the tune before the dyno disappointed you?

I have seen so many people love their car and how it runs until some dyno spits out some number that makes them think the car or tune is not working right...its quite the phenomenon
Old 08-19-2015, 04:46 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
I would always ask, were you happy with the tune before the dyno disappointed you?

I have seen so many people love their car and how it runs until some dyno spits out some number that makes them think the car or tune is not working right...its quite the phenomenon
I think what we are trying to distinguish between is "feels better" and "is faster".

Everyone agrees that the Diablo canned and diablew tune put a smile on your face.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:50 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

But thats really all that counts!!!!!

You cant feel 5-10 rwhp on a 400 rwhp car....no way.
But if you can tell the car is more responsive and puts a smile on your face bigger than it did previously, then the tune has done exactly what it was supposed to do!!

Its about SOOOO much more than meaningless dyno numbers, dynos dont measure TM, dont measure shift feel, dont measure throttle response or traction, they tell you such a minimal part of the whole story. Have I mentioned I hate dynos?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Diablew Tune Dyno

Old 08-19-2015, 05:46 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
But thats really all that counts!!!!!

You cant feel 5-10 rwhp on a 400 rwhp car....no way.
But if you can tell the car is more responsive and puts a smile on your face bigger than it did previously, then the tune has done exactly what it was supposed to do!!

Its about SOOOO much more than meaningless dyno numbers, dynos dont measure TM, dont measure shift feel, dont measure throttle response or traction, they tell you such a minimal part of the whole story. Have I mentioned I hate dynos?

Thanks
If you notice I never said "makes more power on a Dyno", I said "is faster"
Old 08-19-2015, 06:14 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

I think what we are trying to distinguish between is "feels better" and "is faster".

Everyone agrees that the Diablo canned and diablew tune put a smile on your face.
That is my conclusion. People get the diablo tune and it makes the feel faster because of the throttle response, and the slight increase in power.

I want my car to be faster, not feel faster.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:21 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
That is my conclusion. People get the diablo tune and it makes the feel faster because of the throttle response, and the slight increase in power.

I want my car to be faster, not feel faster.
As mentioned, there is much more to it than just throttle response increases. Heck, you couldn't even adjust the throttle on the C6, so whats with the 1000s of tuned C6 customers who are sure their car runs better now that they have loaded our tune?
What about the fastest bolt on GS on this site that used our canned tune to run 11's at over 122 MPH, surely the tune was working well and making power, or everyone would be running those times

Reducing TM which causes the PCM to close the throttle and/or pull timing during shifts will always make a car faster, cant think of a case where it wouldn't, yet that will never show on a dyno, and there are all of ZERO track results being shared, which is all that should matter in this conversation

You are more than entitled to your thoughts on the subject, but I feel you are over simplifying it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Diablew Tune Dyno