C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle response by driving mode?

Old 05-17-2017, 01:50 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default Throttle response by driving mode?

Does anyone know if the throttle response varies with driving mode?

A lot of people complain about lag, which I describe as lazy throttle progression, in the pedal response. What I'm ultimately wondering is if there are SEPARATE tables for throttle to torque demand per mode.

In my old E46 M3, for example, when you put it in Sport, the throttle becomes (annoyingly) very responsive.

If that's the case, we could do that for Sport or Track, making them more aggressive, while leaving Tour alone.

But I don't know if there's one table or four (and I've never seen any of them).
Old 05-17-2017, 06:36 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

You may not find your answer in it, but here's another thread that's pondering sorta the same question:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-modes.html

Old 05-17-2017, 09:21 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,388 Likes on 4,210 Posts

The answer is in the owner's manual.

Sport and Track have faster throttle tip-in than the other modes.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:17 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Thanks DSO, hadn't seen that, so I went and found it. It does seem to indicate that there are multiple different throttle progression tables.

Looks like it should be possible to just modify the Sport or Track versions, then.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,388 Likes on 4,210 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Thanks DSO, hadn't seen that, so I went and found it. It does seem to indicate that there are multiple different throttle progression tables.

Looks like it should be possible to just modify the Sport or Track versions, then.
That's very interesting. What year / model (base, Z51, GS, Z06) is your car? My 2015 base shows the same throttle setting for both sport and track.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:04 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Mine's a 2015. But that's a 2016 manual I quoted from, and you're right, the 2015 manual shows "Sport" in both Sport and Track.

Typo or change to the car's calibration, I don't know. I'm not sure where these live in HPtuners or I'd take a look!

Last edited by davepl; 05-18-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

You are making an assumption that there are different tables in the ECM for those modes when it is highly possible there is only one table. When the mode switch is moved to different modes it might select a different program in the EBCM that sends an instruction to the ECM that tells it to modify access to the table so throttle progression is modified. That way GM only needs one table and only has to provide updates for one table in case they have issues in the field. The EBCM only needs to have its parameters changed to change throttle progression but Tuners can't get into the EBCM and wouldn't know what to look for if they did. The modification could be something as simple as telling the ECM to modify the value in cells xxx through yyy by subtracting or adding a specific value.

Bill
Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

I don't assume anything, as don't actually know the answer (I'm asking the question). But you raise valid point.

It could well be the BCM I'd want to modify, which is tougher, but doable. HPTuners can't do it but others have and can. Not me yet though!

Furthermore it could be a simpler scalar or function rather than separate tables, I suppose.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:42 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

The Vitesse Throttle controller might be your solution. Completely removed throttle lag.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:56 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You are making an assumption that there are different tables in the ECM for those modes when it is highly possible there is only one table. When the mode switch is moved to different modes it might select a different program in the EBCM that sends an instruction to the ECM that tells it to modify access to the table so throttle progression is modified. That way GM only needs one table and only has to provide updates for one table in case they have issues in the field. The EBCM only needs to have its parameters changed to change throttle progression but Tuners can't get into the EBCM and wouldn't know what to look for if they did. The modification could be something as simple as telling the ECM to modify the value in cells xxx through yyy by subtracting or adding a specific value.

Bill
Old 05-21-2017, 11:13 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Come on Higgs, tell them.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by jim2092
Come on Higgs, tell them.
Ah, Bill's a smart guy and knows a lot of stuff, but he's slightly underestimating the recalibration community and confusing ability with legality/exposure.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:17 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Higgs, have you been in the BCM? More important, do you have the seed key/challenge for the BCM? Feel free to save me a month with a PM :-)

I know a number of people are into the BCM, but they're all charging for stuff. I'm just doing it for fun.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:46 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Does anybody actually notice a difference in throttle response between drive modes? I can't tell a difference except for weather mode.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:11 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
Does anybody actually notice a difference in throttle response between drive modes? I can't tell a difference except for weather mode.
There is no difference in the Driver Demand tables, there is a slight difference around 90% throttle only and Sport/Track is lower (power demand) in that area than Touring.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:14 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

There is no difference in the Driver Demand tables, there is a slight difference around 90% throttle only and Sport/Track is lower (power demand) in that area than Touring.
Where'd you find that? ie: Where do they keep the scalar or function or spare tables or whatever they use to change the response by mode?

Seems to be some level of secrecy about it, or at least people are not very forthcoming about what they know.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:10 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

But why in the owners manual, they show it as being different?

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle response by driving mode?

Old 05-22-2017, 11:36 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Where'd you find that? ie: Where do they keep the scalar or function or spare tables or whatever they use to change the response by mode?

Seems to be some level of secrecy about it, or at least people are not very forthcoming about what they know.

Just based on the driver demand tables in the tune. If GM changes the voltage curve, like an aftermarket throttle piggyback, then they might do it outside the ECM, Ford has both driver demand tables and throttle voltage tables in the ECM, though.....and coupled with people not feeling a difference, nor do I, I don't think there is one.

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
But why in the owners manual, they show it as being different?
I dunno, everyone else does it, maybe GM's is just really subtle.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:28 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

In HPT, we have Driver Demand tables a,b,and c. I have modified them all, but I was warned to never copy/paste those tables, but to modify each one separate, which I did. It is unclear to me if the 3 tables relate to different driving modes....

John

Edit: for those thinking that the vitesse controller eliminates all the lag, you are wrong and I could datalog you for free to prove it.

Last edited by JHEBERT; 05-24-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:31 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
In HPT, we have Driver Demand tables a,b,and c. I have modified them all, but I was warned to never copy/paste those tables, but to modify each one separate, which I did. It is unclear to me if the 3 tables relate to different driving modes....

John
I copy paste them all the time, including to the Reduced Engine Power table, because who wants to have actual Reduced Engine Power just because the warning light comes on? I hope I am smart enough to let off the gas if something trips the limits.

This way I can actually drive the car to a safe place with more than 3 HP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle response by driving mode?