C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Alignment: Lessons Learned

Old 08-02-2017, 06:13 AM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I'll update this post when I get a chance to determine which shims I used.
Very interested in knowing where you wound up with the shims.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:12 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by AKKutz
LF: 1 OEM washer
RF: 2 OEM washers
LR: 2.85mm in shims
RR: 2.5mm in shims

This is behind each bolt in the UCA. Note that each bolt on the fore leg of the rear UCA also has 1 OEM washer behind them to get the caster.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:23 AM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

LF: 1 OEM washer
RF: 2 OEM washers
LR: 2.85mm in shims
RR: 2.5mm in shims

This is behind each bolt in the UCA. Note that each bolt on the fore leg of the rear UCA also has 1 OEM washer behind them to get the caster.
Are you using different shims than what was provided in the kits?
Old 08-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Do a search for body shims. Harbor Freight sells a 144 piece Storehouse Body Shim kit and Amazon may sell them as well. Summit sells shims as well.

Bill
Old 08-02-2017, 07:13 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Here's my Harbor Freight shim kit:

And below you can see some installed on car - I have the AMT Motorsport Stud Kit, as well as their Camber Plate Kit and Granatelli adjustable rear toe link:

Old 08-02-2017, 09:26 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

I have the exact same set-up, BeZ06. Problem I'm having is getting his shim measurements with the 200 plus shims I do have! LOL! Been working my mic overtime to get the 2.85mm adjustment.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I have the exact same set-up, BeZ06. Problem I'm having is getting his shim measurements with the 200 plus shims I do have! LOL! Been working my mic overtime to get the 2.85mm adjustment.
Each car is different. You have to use whatever shims it takes to get to the alignment specs you want. Odds are if you use exactly what he did your car will be out of alignment.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:00 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Each car is different. You have to use whatever shims it takes to get to the alignment specs you want. Odds are if you use exactly what he did your car will be out of alignment.
Completely understood....but ya got to start somewhere! I might be making a mess of it, we shall see once I make my measurements.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:21 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Thanks for the rite up and all posted useful info I too do my own alignment and way better than I can get it done by alignment shop in fact they are the reason I do my own.

Just a small personal comment on the use of the string which I have employed for many jobs I discover the use of the tape measure to be fairly significant for toe adjustment.

Involves the use of two flat bars (my personal preference) on the outside of the wheels you find out how to keep em in place I use blue painters blue tape then run two measuring tapes across under the car so tapes are straight to get correct readings making sure first the steering wheel is straight adjust toe till front and rear are same distance if you want it at o or center or a mm out or in as desire.

I found that must alignment shops equipment are off so relying on them? well convinced me I needed better.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:30 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Are you using different shims than what was provided in the kits?
Yes. I was using some shims from an old Pfadt kit. I had an early AMT it and the shims provided doesn't fit. Mark shipped me a HF kit but u didn't want to wait for it to arrive.

My advice is to go with slightly thicker shims than my measurement and see where you end up.
The following users liked this post:
AKKutz (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 10:03 AM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Yes. I was using some shims from an old Pfadt kit. I had an early AMT it and the shims provided doesn't fit. Mark shipped me a HF kit but u didn't want to wait for it to arrive.

My advice is to go with slightly thicker shims than my measurement and see where you end up.
Thanks Poor-sha, I thought as much. I chose to do just that.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by xBoostx
Thanks for the rite up and all posted useful info I too do my own alignment and way better than I can get it done by alignment shop in fact they are the reason I do my own.

Just a small personal comment on the use of the string which I have employed for many jobs I discover the use of the tape measure to be fairly significant for toe adjustment.

Involves the use of two flat bars (my personal preference) on the outside of the wheels you find out how to keep em in place I use blue painters blue tape then run two measuring tapes across under the car so tapes are straight to get correct readings making sure first the steering wheel is straight adjust toe till front and rear are same distance if you want it at o or center or a mm out or in as desire.

I found that must alignment shops equipment are off so relying on them? well convinced me I needed better.
That still leaves me with my eyes trying to resolve 1/64 of an inch on the tape or ruler (which ever is used) and it isn't easy. The toe out spec from DSC is .5 mm which is about 3/128. Very hard to eye ball the lines when you have bifocals, astigmatism and can't see anything if there isn't a 3000 watt light shining on it. I set my car up for DSC's alignment. My camber and caster readings are near spot on front and rear but the toe settings are somewhere between slight toe in and slight toe out. Shoot all you have to is look at them from an angle and it is hard to tell which 1/64 line the string or the toe plate is on.

Bill
Old 08-03-2017, 03:17 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah, the string I use isn't much more than 0.5 mm in thickness. I usually shoot for one side just over the mm mark and the other just below it.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:01 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 331 Posts

Going to tackle this soon.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:24 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Well, Tried Poor-Sha's settings over the weekend.... Definitely not working with my vehicle. Too aggressive. I was seeing -3.4 to -3.6 camber figures using a very crappy camber gauge (not sure how accurate). So, I changed my plates to 3 on LCA and put all the shims to approximate stock (2- 1/16 & 2- 1/32) per UCA stud. Finished that this morning.

I will have to get some way to measure camber. I bought a Quick Trick set-up, liked the gauge, but very disappointed in the over all quality of the framing. My overzealous brother managed to scratch the hell out of one of my rims, when he jumped in to help...

I couldn't get the frame to stay on the wheel...it is useless and expensive.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:43 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 331 Posts

Bill, why didn't the smart strings work? I used them with no issues.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:34 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Could use a little help.

Taking alignment measurements.
I had camber plates at position 2, but initial measurements showed -3+ camber. So, I ran all the plates to position 3 and installed roughly equivalent shims to equal stock on UCA. Roughly, I am averaging -2.0/-2.3 camber in the front, but I'm getting readings of +10.5 caster!

At a bit of a loss in the direction to head to bring Caster to +7.5. Ideas?

Get notified of new replies

To DIY Alignment: Lessons Learned

Old 08-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Could use a little help.

Taking alignment measurements.
I had camber plates at position 2, but initial measurements showed -3+ camber. So, I ran all the plates to position 3 and installed roughly equivalent shims to equal stock on UCA. Roughly, I am averaging -2.0/-2.3 camber in the front, but I'm getting readings of +10.5 caster!

At a bit of a loss in the direction to head to bring Caster to +7.5. Ideas?
Remember the control arms don't need to be in the same position front and rear. So if on the front of the car you have both sets of plates on position 3, leave the rear most set in position 3 and switch the front to position 2. Creating more negative camber in the front only will kick the spindle upright backwards, reducing the amount of caster. This point is made in the instructions should you need to reference them.
The following users liked this post:
AKKutz (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 05:30 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Remember the control arms don't need to be in the same position front and rear. So if on the front of the car you have both sets of plates on position 3, leave the rear most set in position 3 and switch the front to position 2. Creating more negative camber in the front only will kick the spindle upright backwards, reducing the amount of caster. This point is made in the instructions should you need to reference them.

Guess I over looked that "tip". Again, thanks Mark!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:50 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by c5racr1
Bill, why didn't the smart strings work? I used them with no issues.
I couldn't get the rear bars to fit on the back of the car. They worked on my C6Z but the height of the rear spoiler and the lack of anything for the hooks to grab onto in the hatch opening kept me from being able to get the cross bar low enough. I may have been able to get them to work if I removed the spoiler but that was more hassle than I want to go through to do the alignment. Doing it in my garage is difficult enough without having to disassemble the body to get the tools to fit.

Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Alignment: Lessons Learned