C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stingray brake cooling

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 02:59 AM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Stingray brake cooling

My wife loves her '16 Stingray, but then became an enthusiastic track driver. The Stingray's stock brake cooling is not up to the job so we had installed the LG Motor Sport kit:

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/tracki...oling-kit.html

It has not worked out well. The Stingray is her DD, the turning radius was sharply reduced, she cant turn around on a 40 foot wide track with out doing a 3 point turn and parking is a pain. And she's had scraping noises and steering problems. We're ditching the kit and considering the GM kit:

http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/23383592.html
and
http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/84115258.html

Before we dump more $k into adapting the Stingray to the track I'd like to know if anyone else has any experience with the GM kits.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:32 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

There are many different options. If your wheels can allow it (OEM Stingray wheels don't), you can even get the Z06 brakes for $1150. I'm guessing you don't want to.

LG kit, like other track car kits, will be a constant maintenance item. I'd not recommend it for heavy street use. Z51 cooling ducting you've referenced does decent cooling with no such issues or maintenance required; that's a great option.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:23 PM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by X25
There are many different options. If your wheels can allow it (OEM Stingray wheels don't), you can even get the Z06 brakes for $1150. I'm guessing you don't want to.

LG kit, like other track car kits, will be a constant maintenance item. I'd not recommend it for heavy street use. Z51 cooling ducting you've referenced does decent cooling with no such issues or maintenance required; that's a great option.
Thanks. I tried to search references to the LG kit prior to install but came up dry.

She'll probably need to improve engine cooling as well for the hot track days. At what point do give up and get a Grand Sport?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:41 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterC3
Thanks. I tried to search references to the LG kit prior to install but came up dry.

She'll probably need to improve engine cooling as well for the hot track days. At what point do give up and get a Grand Sport?
For 2017+, GS and Z51 have the identical set of coolers, and the only difference is wide body and brakes.

For better engine cooling, you'd need to get the AUX radiator installed (standard on 17+ models), which sells for ~$800. I also adopted Z06 transmission cooler that comes standard with the 2017+ Z06/Z51/GS, which is $250, but the install is a little bit trickier.

FYI, brake upgrade is here.

You can go through these, or replace your car with a 2017+ model which has all these standard (but Z51 still comes with smaller brakes); up to you : )
The following users liked this post:
PeterC3 (09-13-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 07:02 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterC3
At what point do give up and get a Grand Sport?
depends, if she will keep at it the sooner the better
after 3 years (max) you will have as much money in upgrades
Old 09-14-2017, 08:19 PM
KillerC7zo6
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

I have a 2017 Z51 with zo6 grill. All I can say is it brakes and performes like a beast. Just added a afe Intake and can't wait to take it out this weekend. This is coming from a previous C6 zo6 owner. When I first purchased the z51 I dident realize all the upgrades I had until I really looked into the car. Love my 2017

Last edited by KillerC7zo6; 09-14-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:01 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

We need to know more about your car.

Have you tried DBA rotors and track-spec pads? Z51 package (doesn't sound like it if you're looking at GM ducts)? DOT4 fluid? Z06 grill? Its easy to just throw out ideas (and money), but easier if we know what you're working with.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:23 AM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
We need to know more about your car.

Have you tried DBA rotors and track-spec pads? Z51 package (doesn't sound like it if you're looking at GM ducts)? DOT4 fluid? Z06 grill? Its easy to just throw out ideas (and money), but easier if we know what you're working with.
Totally stock entry level 2016 C7 Stingray. I think the essentials are GM ducts, but also being more disciplined about logging track time for timely pad replacement. For the deep summer a supplementary rad to cool the engine is a must.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:59 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

You'll need to do the standard track prep, including DOT4 brake fluid. It really does make a difference. If she's just going to be a recreational track driver, you could easily keep this car and stay within the limits with minor upgrades. However, if she's going to be doing some heavy tracking, you may need to consider a Z51/GS.

If you decide to upgrade the car, you'll need the brake ducts and deflectors. The deflectors may need to be slightly trimmed to fit within the 18-19 wheels. In addition to that, the standard grill physically blocks the brake duct intakes, so you'll need to open that section up for any airflow whatsoever. Most simply install a Z06 grill. I'd start with that and some brake pads from a brand like Carbotech where you can switch between track and street pads without worrying about the compounds reacting negatively with each other.

As far as the Aux rad goes, if your car is a manual then the GM accessory front rad is for engine cooling, if your car is an A8 then the aux rad goes in the same exact spot, but is transmission cooling.

Get notified of new replies

To Stingray brake cooling

Quick Reply: Stingray brake cooling