2017 LT1 oil catch can system - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 LT1 oil catch can system

Old 01-10-2018, 09:02 AM
J2 2017 GS

Default 2017 LT1 oil catch can system

Is a oil catch can system beneficial for a 2017 LT1 Grand Sport?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:50 AM
robert miller
CF Senior Member

Default ttt

If you are 100% stock leave it 100% stock if you go with a blower set up on the car then yes I would do it to me the MMS set up a vendor in here has the best set up for the money. Plus it does work... Robert
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robert miller For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (01-19-2018), J2 2017 GS (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:13 PM
J2 2017 GS

Originally Posted by robert miller View Post
If you are 100% stock leave it 100% stock if you go with a blower set up on the car then yes I would do it to me the MMS set up a vendor in here has the best set up for the money. Plus it does work... Robert
Thanks for the info. My Grand Sport is 100% stock and after your input I plan to keep it that way. Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:11 PM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,485 Posts

^^^
Never owned a car I kept stock and at 75 have no plans to do so!

On my 2014 Z51 I had an Elite "can" using a single outlet and captured about 1 ounce of oil per 1000 miles (as do many folks-some more.) That is one ounce/1000 miles did not go into the intake to bake on the hot intake valve backs!

Checked out all the new lines in my Grand Sport and it is a different arrangement with more lines going into the valve covers etc. BUT it still has a PCV line going from the crackcase to intake manifold in about the same place as the 2014! Waited until I was sure it would do no harm and measured pressure/vacuum on a key line. Once sure it would do no harm, installed the "can" I removed from my 2014 Z51 when I sold it onto the Grand Sport. The inlet and outlet are in the same position, no need to change lengths.

I am still capturing oil. Don't have enough data to quantify how much. It is less than the 2014 but there is oil being captured. IMO, better being collected and dumped that passing over my intake valves!

When the C8 comes out, my guess is, like the Corvette ZR1, the Ford GT and some Toyota engines, it will have both DI and Port Injection. The higher hp cars are probably using it at higher power but not Toyota. In any case, when activated it will wash the PCV "stuff" off of the intake valves as it always did with port injection and carburetors!

Guess another option would go back to the "road draft tube" I had on my '56 small block and older cars and dump the crackcase blowby, burned oil from the spinning crack that hits the hot piston bottoms etc on dump it the ground (before in the 1960's when the EPA said stop and ingest that stuff!) Don't think so!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-13-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:19 PM
Poppacapp
CF Senior Member

Catch cans are beneficial IMO. Any oil you keep out of the intake is good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poppacapp For This Useful Post:
JerryU (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 10:19 PM
robert miller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Poppacapp View Post
Catch cans are beneficial IMO. Any oil you keep out of the intake is good.
If you have a car that has mods done to it. Crap man I have are on my 3 catch can until I got one that really works like it should work.

Plus my car is no where stock at all blower, LT headers, mid pipe, ported T.B. & intake. RPM wavetrac 3:42 gear set up plus did a z51 to z06 body panel swap out on her. Plus more on the car...

Just saying here this guy has a new 2017 don't plain on no more mods to the car. If something did happen to his car would hate to see the dealer ship turn down the work on it & say he had mods done to it & war work is turn down. Maybe that was nothing to do with his car problem but still could do it.. Robert
Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 AM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,485 Posts

Originally Posted by J2 2017 GS View Post
Is a oil catch can system beneficial for a 2017 LT1 Grand Sport?
Just emptied my catch can. Don't have it installed long enough to have as accurate a quantification of the amount collected compared to having it installed on my 2014 Z51 for 3 years, which was 1 ounce/1000 miles collected and dumped!

However this is twice I have measured and it was 1/4 ounce/1000 miles in my 2017 Grand Sport both times. So it is about 25% as much as on the 2014 Z51 but still some. The PCV system has been improved but that is still 1/4 oz/1000 miles not going into the intake manifold that can bake on the hot intake valves.

Is it worth the $150 investment-in my case I already had the "can" but I think so. If your OCD about finger prints etc, just think about that crap on your intake valves. Tadge says "it's only cosmetic" and only folks who look inside the engine would know! But so are finger prints on the door opening recess! Frankly I could care less about some fingerprints but don't like the idea of "stuff" built-up on the valve backs! That doesn't go away when I wash the car!

Unlike the Port Injection in my C6 and prior Vettes or the 850 Holley carburetor on the 8.2 Liter BB in my street rod that wash the PCV "stuff" away - with only air and PCV crap passing over the backs of the the intake valves with DI - to me worth the cost!

Your car, your choice!

Perhaps because a few years ago I assembled the ZZ502 crate engine in my street rod I think more about crap on the back of the valves than most!

Can't see the valve backs of the ZZ502 from this pic but if you were to look into those large intake ports, they and the passages are as shinny as the front in the top pic. Also assembled the Olds engine I put in my first car as a teenager and saw engines disassembled at Richard Petty's race shop when they were still building their own engines and we were a sponsor!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-13-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:45 AM
c5racr1
CF Senior Member

Can’t hurt
The Following User Says Thank You to c5racr1 For This Useful Post:
JerryU (01-13-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 LT1 oil catch can system

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: