C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Cold Startup Rough Idle/Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 06:39 AM
Stingrayfish
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2019 Cold Startup Rough Idle/Shaking

I have a 2019 Stingray, and on cold startup, there is a rough idle, and or slight shaking for about 1-2 minutes. Is this normal for this engine. Do others experience this?
Thanks for the input.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:44 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Normal
Old 09-05-2018, 09:43 PM
marsheng
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I also have a 2019 Stingray and same conditions apply,idles very smooth when warmed up
Old 09-10-2018, 07:33 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Still, check for loose plug wires. They fit tight on the plug and snap into the coils. I think you will need a TORX to get the coil pack covers off. Mine had a loose plug wire that caused other issues as well, and when that plug and plug wire were replaced, My startup idle improved.

You would be amazed at the problems a loose plug wire can cause. I got a service rear axle and service stabilitrak message on the DIC that was cured by fixing the plug wire issue. At first seemed to me like an ingrown toenail causing a cardiac arrest, but in this world of interconnected systems and nannies, I guess....
Old 09-10-2018, 09:16 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

You would get a DIC notification (CEL) if there was a misfire going on. Without a video/sound clip impossible to absolutely say it's normal. Have you been to dealer? I would make sure this is normal. I suppose it's possible (not likely) a code could have been thrown & would show up when a reader is plugged into OBD port, again, new car-go to dealer.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:27 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Misfire code.

A misfire only shows on the dic if it occurs on two successive ignition cycles. You can see it as h history thru the obd. My situation was a loose wire, and the misfire was random. The cold starts were unusually rough but smoothed out.
The following users liked this post:
madrob2020 (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 10:07 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by k24556
A misfire only shows on the dic if it occurs on two successive ignition cycles. You can see it as h history thru the obd. My situation was a loose wire, and the misfire was random. The cold starts were unusually rough but smoothed out.
you are correct , a random misfire will not set a CEL , also the misfire count for a CEL to set is much higher than 2 ignition cycles
I chased a random misfire for 6 months in my C6 , every once in a while I would feel a shake or a pull against the brakes . Ended up being a spark plug wire to close to the alternator that was inducing RF into the ECM , never set a code or CEL
Back to the OP's question. Depends on what you call rough , unlike the others my car cold starts and runs fine with no shaking ...

Dave
Old 09-11-2018, 07:08 PM
Slick6
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My '19 does shake a bit, even when warm. I just attribute it to the cam grind. I think if it was a plug wire, you'd know when you get on it. It would stumble a bit under the load.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:02 AM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

A misfire will not go away after it's warmed up though, so the fact that is it is only happening for a couple of minutes tell you it's not a misfire. I suppose it's possible if it's barely loose for it to heat up and get a tighter connection, but I doubt this is the case. On start up it's going to idle higher (1500-2000) rpm for 20 seconds or so, and then gradually smooth out as the car warms up. This is because the car dumps more fuel into the car to warm up the 02 sensors. A video would be warranted to say if it's normal or if something else is going on.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tennispro1986
This is because the car dumps more fuel into the car to warm up the 02 sensors. .
No it does not DUMP more fuel to warm up the sensors...not sure where u heard that from? I am sure it was just a misunderstanding

it is idling high to warm up the cats faster......

When operating in closed loop , which is everything except WOT , the o2 sensors work by varying the voltage signal that they send to the ECM which in turn riches or leans out the mixture

they have their own heating circuit and a reference temperature and voltage output that represents the proper air to fuel ratio
to cold and a higher voltage from the O2 sensor the ecm will lean out the mixture , to hot and a lower voltage signal, the ECM will richen the mixture .
This system leads to some over shoot both ways and you can see this in the short term fuel trims as they tend to bounce around

When the engine is cold it is set to run at a higher RPM and a slightly richer mixture for faster warmup of the cats because they need to be hot to work at optimum effeciancy . This is why you get that "raw" gas smell at startup as the cats are cold .....

the engine can run slightly rough during this period but it should not be real bad ..

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 09-12-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Originally Posted by Dcasole
No it does not DUMP more fuel to warm up the sensors...not sure where u heard that from? I am sure it was just a misunderstanding

it is idling high to warm up the cats faster......

When operating in closed loop , which is everything except WOT , the o2 sensors work by varying the voltage signal that they send to the ECM which in turn riches or leans out the mixture

they have their own heating circuit and a reference temperature and voltage output that represents the proper air to fuel ratio
to cold and a higher voltage from the O2 sensor the ecm will lean out the mixture , to hot and a lower voltage signal, the ECM will richen the mixture .
This system leads to some over shoot both ways and you can see this in the short term fuel trims as they tend to bounce around

When the engine is cold it is set to run at a higher RPM and a slightly richer mixture for faster warmup of the cats because they need to be hot to work at optimum effeciancy . This is why you get that "raw" gas smell at startup as the cats are cold .....

the engine can run slightly rough during this period but it should not be real bad ..

Dave
At a higher RPM, there needs to be more FUEL, hence my statement of the ECM commanding extra fuel during the process. And in order for the car to go into closed loop, the heater element in the 02 sensors needs to reach a certain temperature. More fuel, more air, more heat, this happens quicker. This all happens during the start up period. You stated exactly what I stated in different words basically. This is why I love the forums. People comment just for the sake of getting their comment in.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:31 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

At a higher RPM, there needs to be more FUEL, hence my statement of the ECM commanding extra fuel during the process. And in order for the car to go into closed loop, the heater element in the 02 sensors needs to reach a certain temperature. More fuel, more air, more heat, this happens quicker. This all happens during the start up period. You stated exactly what I stated in different words basically. This is why I love the forums. People comment just for the sake of getting their comment in.
Tennis Pro , No need to get your feathers in a ruffle and insult me

As many people here on this forum know I don't make statements just to make statements , my posts are always backed up by data or my 40 years in the Automotive industry , and I am here to help people , which can be proven by the amount of THANKS that I have received by helping others

But since you just opened the door lets take a look at this article on how a O2 sensor really works since you obviously have no idea and made a snarky comment directly at me ..

yes An O2 sensor needs heat to generate the necessary signal but in no way does this heat come from " MORE FUEL " as you state and NO, I did not state what you stated just in different terms .....

http://www.autotap.com/techlibrary/u...en_sensors.asp

The oxygen sensor must be hot (about 600 degrees or higher) before it will start to generate a voltage signal, so many oxygen sensors have a small heating element inside to help them reach operating temperature more quickly. The heating element can also prevent the sensor from cooling off too much during prolonged idle, which would cause the system to revert to open loop.
This element is what heats the O2 sensor up during the OPEN LOOP cold start and also during prolonged idle periods , not dumping more fuel

Dave

Old 09-12-2018, 04:03 PM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Tennis Pro , No need to get your feathers in a ruffle and insult me

As many people here on this forum know I don't make statements just to make statements , my posts are always backed up by data or my 40 years in the Automotive industry , and I am here to help people , which can be proven by the amount of THANKS that I have received by helping others

But since you just opened the door lets take a look at this article on how a O2 sensor really works since you obviously have no idea and made a snarky comment directly at me ..

yes An O2 sensor needs heat to generate the necessary signal but in no way does this heat come from " MORE FUEL " as you state and NO, I did not state what you stated just in different terms .....

http://www.autotap.com/techlibrary/u...en_sensors.asp

This element is what heats the O2 sensor up during the OPEN LOOP cold start and also during prolonged idle periods , not dumping more fuel

Dave
Upon cold start, the air is going to be cooler, yes? Cooler air is more dense, yes? More dense air means it needs more fuel for complete combustion, yes? Is the car going to able to monitor that the car is runing lean becasuse the aur is more dense in open loop? No. So the ECM adds more fuel to compensate for this. Why do cars idle higher when its colder outside? Because the air is more dense and in open loop, the car doesn't have the feedback information to make the mixture correctly, so upon cold start the ECM is going to command for more fuel. This is for both driveability during open loop (so the car isn't misfiring and shaking like crazy) and to ensure the car isn't running too lean. It controls fuel in open loop by overcompensating with more fuel until the car reaches closed loop. Anytime the car is on open loop status, it is going to run richer.

In the end, upon cold start up, the car DOES use more fuel until closed loop is achieved.

Last edited by Tennispro1986; 09-12-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Upon cold start, the air is going to be cooler, yes? Cooler air is more dense, yes? More dense air means it needs more fuel for complete combustion, yes? Is the car going to able to monitor that the car is runing lean becasuse the aur is more dense in open loop? No. So the ECM adds more fuel to compensate for this. Why do cars idle higher when its colder outside? Because the air is more dense and in open loop, the car doesn't have the feedback information to make the mixture correctly, so upon cold start the ECM is going to command for more fuel. This is for both driveability during open loop (so the car isn't misfiring and shaking like crazy) and to ensure the car isn't running too lean. It controls fuel in open loop by overcompensating with more fuel until the car reaches closed loop. Anytime the car is on open loop status, it is going to run richer.

In the end, upon cold start up, the car DOES use more fuel until closed loop is achieved.
WOW , you are all over the place ...
at first you said
This is because the car dumps more fuel into the car to warm up the 02 sensors
And all I did was correct your statement that dumping more fuel is NOT what warms the 02 sensors as that is NOT correct ....
You win ... I am done ... now time to get back to the OP's problems which was answered ....

Dave
Old 09-15-2018, 12:12 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

My '18 does much the same, or so it seems trying to guesstimate your experience for comparison.

Get notified of new replies

To 2019 Cold Startup Rough Idle/Shaking

Quick Reply: 2019 Cold Startup Rough Idle/Shaking