C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFM Lifter Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 06:35 PM
Superteeth
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AFM Lifter Failure

Hello everyone. So I've been reading around and apparently GM has a common issue with their vehicles experiencing lifter failure from entering 4-cylinder mode. The question I have is whether or not that is something that would be immediate if it were to be an issue (the lifter fails as soon as it goes into 4-cylinder mode once) or if it's something that is progressive (damage is done every time the car goes into 4-cylinder mode or there is a risk of damage being done every time it happens). If so, I'd rather just keep it from going into 4-cylinder mode at all with a range module. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:03 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

I didn’t mention dod lifter failure in your other thread because you said you’ve only had it 2 weeks. But, it does happen. Trust me, you would rather have a bad fuel pump...
Old 09-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Superteeth
Advanced

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
I didn’t mention dod lifter failure in your other thread because you said you’ve only had it 2 weeks. But, it does happen. Trust me, you would rather have a bad fuel pump...
Oh, it's most definitely preferable to have a bad fuel pump! But there was a video on YouTube that convinced me I don't have lifter tick. I hear the sound at idle that the guy in the video's Corvette has, but that's just the background noise and apparently normal. He specifically references several points in the video where the actual "tick" occurs (he also mentions that the dealership did actually replace the lifters after he took the car in), and the ticking noise is completely different from what I thought it was. It wasn't a constant noise, it was an intermittent ticking sound that was, I don't know, "hollower" sounding? Or closer to a knocking sound? At any rate, it's different from the background noise that I'm hearing in my car is apparently the fuel injectors (or possibly the pump, I guess, but hopefully not). Also, this sound that I'm hearing doesn't go away when the engine warms up, and apparently lifter noise usually does go away when the engine warms up...

Here's the video link, though.

Last edited by Superteeth; 09-08-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:52 PM
phantom1
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Superteeth
Oh, it's most definitely preferable to have a bad fuel pump! But there was a video on YouTube that convinced me I don't have lifter tick. I hear the sound at idle that the guy in the video's Corvette has, but that's just the background noise and apparently normal. He specifically references several points in the video where the actual "tick" occurs (he also mentions that the dealership did actually replace the lifters after he took the car in), and the ticking noise is completely different from what I thought it was. It wasn't a constant noise, it was an intermittent ticking sound that was, I don't know, "hollower" sounding? Or closer to a knocking sound? At any rate, it's different from the background noise that I'm hearing in my car is apparently the fuel injectors (or possibly the pump, I guess, but hopefully not). Also, this sound that I'm hearing doesn't go away when the engine warms up, and apparently lifter noise usually does go away when the engine warms up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm8d9tgNSzI&t=205s
Almost sounds like a Barring.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Bryansuavo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I just had a bad lifter spring on mine. 9k miles.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:44 PM
Superteeth
Advanced

What were the specific symptoms before the lifter died on you? Did you see anything in the oil, have the engine run worse, etc., and how long before the lifter gave out after that?
Old 09-08-2018, 10:59 PM
Bryansuavo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I posted a vid on here about my issue. But yes I did notice a performance issue.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:29 PM
Superteeth
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bryansuavo
I posted a vid on here about my issue. But yes I did notice a performance issue.
Link?

I'm sitting here thinking about getting the range module to remove any chance of coming across this issue, but apparently it voids your warranty...hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones that never sees the issue regardless. It's a serious design flaw if all the engines with AFM experienced lifter issues at some point in time.

Last edited by Superteeth; 09-08-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:46 PM
witness140
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Link?

I'm sitting here thinking about getting the range module to remove any chance of coming across this issue, but apparently it voids your warranty...hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones that never sees the issue regardless. It's a serious design flaw if all the engines with AFM experienced lifter issues at some point in time.
I don't believe the Range module voids your warranty. It leaves no trace and doesn't in any way reprogram anything like a tune would.
The following users liked this post:
Vegas1500 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 11:04 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Who told u it would void your warranty ... it's not a tune and does nothing to alter the tune
Dave
Old 09-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Superteeth
Advanced

Well, if I were to leave it in and take the car to the dealer for service, what would they say? Also, doesn't the language that indicates what voids the warranty specifically mention anything that alters the software in the car? The range module alters the software such that it never goes into 4-cylinder mode...if they really did want to fight a warranty claim they wouldn't have a hard time of it just because of the language in the contract.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

1st off the Range does not alter any software to keep the car In V8 mode , what it does is just fool the ECM into thinking that AFM module needs to be off by sending the right set of signals thru the OBD port and Communications BUS

Secondly, why would you leave it plugged in when you go to the dealer , why ask for trouble , just pop it out and throw it in the glove box

My dealer is pretty good to me , they replaced my motor when it sucked a valve and when I brought the car in for its 500 mile oil change , I forgot completely about the Range device . Now I know that Todd our Corvette mechanic had to see it because he told me he scanned for codes just to make sure everything was ok .....

But next time , I will not take the chance , I will throw it in the glove box

You can do what you want to do but there are literally thousands of range devices being used on many GM models with AFM
We would hear about it if it altered the ECM programming

Dave
Old 09-10-2018, 12:52 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm8d9tgNSzI&t=205s
Sounds normal.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:52 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by witness140
I don't believe the Range module voids your warranty. It leaves no trace and doesn't in any way reprogram anything like a tune would.
Right !

Dave
Old 09-10-2018, 05:56 PM
Superteeth
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dcasole
1st off the Range does not alter any software to keep the car In V8 mode , what it does is just fool the ECM into thinking that AFM module needs to be off by sending the right set of signals thru the OBD port and Communications BUS

Secondly, why would you leave it plugged in when you go to the dealer , why ask for trouble , just pop it out and throw it in the glove box

My dealer is pretty good to me , they replaced my motor when it sucked a valve and when I brought the car in for its 500 mile oil change , I forgot completely about the Range device . Now I know that Todd our Corvette mechanic had to see it because he told me he scanned for codes just to make sure everything was ok .....

You can do what you want to do but there are literally thousands of range devices being used on many GM models with AFM

Dave
See, but that's what I mean. If it unequivocally is NOT doing anything that would void your warranty, why would you be concerned about leaving it in? I'm not saying I would, it's just a potential headache (don't you figure they might be able to see that the car has not been in V8 mode by pulling data from the ECM for many thousands of miles and wonder why?) The thing is, if they really wanted to, they'd be able to prove that something aftermarket was used to alter something in the programming (or whatever you want to call it, I understand it's not altering the programming but it is changing the way the car works) to keep it in V8 mode.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:21 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

keep debating
See, but that's what I mean. If it unequivocally is NOT doing anything that would void your warranty, why would you be concerned about leaving it in? I'm not saying I would, it's just a potential headache (don't you figure they might be able to see that the car has not been in V8 mode by pulling data from the ECM for many thousands of miles and wonder why?) The thing is, if they really wanted to, they'd be able to prove that something aftermarket was used to alter something in the programming (or whatever you want to call it, I understand it's not altering the programming but it is changing the way the car works) to keep it in V8 mode.
Look , I am not going to keep debating with you one way or another , the fact remains that you can do/believe whatever you would like but if you think that the ECM logs the V8/V4 mode time and GM can tell I can assure you that it does not , and they can not lol lol lol …

You are way over thinking this thing and what the ECM does and does not do and also what GM can determine from looking at the ECM files , there is no engine/transmission/mode data logging other than error codes going on in the ECM and I can say that with 100% certainly

The fact remains that the Range Device stops the V4 mode, without setting an ERROR CODE by using the OBD port and not overwriting any ECM files , which in turn saves the lock up clutch in the converter , if you want to go thru having the shudder , then having to bring it to the dealer to have the triple flush done , then having to do it again , and then finally having the converter replaced only for it all to start all over again because GM is trying to make some Corp Gas mileage requirement , that is completely your choice . Then what happens when you go out of warranty , you think GM is going to stand by this fix … not a shot

It is not just a Corvette that is experiencing this issue , it is EVERY GM model that uses the A8

AFM/DOD its not ready for prime time and never was , this is not the 1st time GM has tried this .. the early 80's Cadillac had DOD and it to was a miserable failure also !!

Just like everyone worrying and theorizing about the after market tunes and how GM knows an aftermarket tune has been done , the only way GM knows if a after market tune has been uploaded is because the CVN file shows each update file that has been uploaded to the ECM , it does not say what was uploaded , just a date and an upload file name , that's it , this is then compared to what the history is on updates done to the car as all ECM , BCM TCM updates must be pulled using the cars serial number , GM TIS software and GM's own download site .

Now learn how to Spoof that file as one well known tuner has done and NOBODY can tell if a tune was uploaded when the original tune is restored to the car , there is nobody at GM who is comparing the thousands of entries in the tables with a stock tune

This not being able to tell what is leading GM to ENCRYPT the ECM data like Dodge and Mercedes has done already but then what does that lead to ?

Aftermarket companies are already developing piggy back solutions that plug inline and work just like the Range device to achieve a specific purpose , I can purchase one harness that plugs into 3 connectors that will increase HP of my AMG by over 60 HP for only $300 bucks …and its totally undetectable ….

I explained how the Range Device works … I am using it and I have no problems in 36,000 miles, many others are using it and can attest to the fact that it works , unplug it and you will have no issue with your warranty , if you chose to use it is up to u ..

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 09-10-2018 at 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling
The following 2 users liked this post by Dcasole:
-vet (09-17-2018), Vegas1500 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 01:51 PM
Superteeth
Advanced

keep debating

Look , I am not going to keep debating with you one way or another , the fact remains that you can do/believe whatever you would like but if you think that the ECM logs the V8/V4 mode time and GM can tell I can assure you that it does not , and they can not lol lol lol …

You are way over thinking this thing and what the ECM does and does not do and also what GM can determine from looking at the ECM files , there is no engine/transmission/mode data logging other than error codes going on in the ECM and I can say that with 100% certainly

The fact remains that the Range Device stops the V4 mode, without setting an ERROR CODE by using the OBD port and not overwriting any ECM files , which in turn saves the lock up clutch in the converter , if you want to go thru having the shudder , then having to bring it to the dealer to have the triple flush done , then having to do it again , and then finally having the converter replaced only for it all to start all over again because GM is trying to make some Corp Gas mileage requirement , that is completely your choice . Then what happens when you go out of warranty , you think GM is going to stand by this fix … not a shot

It is not just a Corvette that is experiencing this issue , it is EVERY GM model that uses the A8

AFM/DOD its not ready for prime time and never was , this is not the 1st time GM has tried this .. the early 80's Cadillac had DOD and it to was a miserable failure also !!

Just like everyone worrying and theorizing about the after market tunes and how GM knows an aftermarket tune has been done , the only way GM knows if a after market tune has been uploaded is because the CVN file shows each update file that has been uploaded to the ECM , it does not say what was uploaded , just a date and an upload file name , that's it , this is then compared to what the history is on updates done to the car as all ECM , BCM TCM updates must be pulled using the cars serial number , GM TIS software and GM's own download site .

Now learn how to Spoof that file as one well known tuner has done and NOBODY can tell if a tune was uploaded when the original tune is restored to the car , there is nobody at GM who is comparing the thousands of entries in the tables with a stock tune

This not being able to tell what is leading GM to ENCRYPT the ECM data like Dodge and Mercedes has done already but then what does that lead to ?

Aftermarket companies are already developing piggy back solutions that plug inline and work just like the Range device to achieve a specific purpose , I can purchase one harness that plugs into 3 connectors that will increase HP of my AMG by over 60 HP for only $300 bucks …and its totally undetectable ….

I explained how the Range Device works … I am using it and I have no problems in 36,000 miles, many others are using it and can attest to the fact that it works , unplug it and you will have no issue with your warranty , if you chose to use it is up to u ..

Dave
I mean, I'm not trying to debate you, and I appreciate all the information you're providing. But for what it's worth I'm going to take the gamble and keep the car as it is (surely not EVERYONE with a GM vehicle with AFM is experiencing problems at some point down the line, otherwise it would certainly have been scrapped by now due to all the warranty costs). But you better believe that if I start experiencing those issues with the lifters and torque converter I'll take it to the dealership, get them to replace the lifters and the torque converter in one go, and install the range module to avoid ever having the issue again. But I've always been lucky with the reliability of my vehicles and hope it'll carry over to my Corvette. Thanks again.
Dcasole (09-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To AFM Lifter Failure

Old 09-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I mean, I'm not trying to debate you, and I appreciate all the information you're providing. But for what it's worth I'm going to take the gamble and keep the car as it is (surely not EVERYONE with a GM vehicle with AFM is experiencing problems at some point down the line, otherwise it would certainly have been scrapped by now due to all the warranty costs). But you better believe that if I start experiencing those issues with the lifters and torque converter I'll take it to the dealership, get them to replace the lifters and the torque converter in one go, and install the range module to avoid ever having the issue again. But I've always been lucky with the reliability of my vehicles and hope it'll carry over to my Corvette. Thanks again.
welcome ! :

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 09-11-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:17 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

“Just like everyone worrying and theorizing about the after market tunes and how GM knows an aftermarket tune has been done , the only way GM knows if a after market tune has been uploaded is because the CVN file shows each update file that has been uploaded to the ECM , it does not say what was uploaded , just a date and an upload file name , that's it , this is then compared to what the history is on updates done to the car as all ECM , BCM TCM updates must be pulled using the cars serial number , GM TIS software and GM's own download site .

Now learn how to Spoof that file as one well known tuner has done and NOBODY can tell if a tune was uploaded when the original tune is restored to the car , there is nobody at GM who is comparing the thousands of entries in the tables with a stock tune”

Dave is 110% correct on this. My 2016 Sierra is tuned and the 5.3 will roast the tires through 1st gear without touching the brake with an EFI Live tune that has factory CVN’s embebbed into it. Fast forward to 2020, IF you could tune it (you can’t) GM would not only know, they could overwrite you and change the application key while the car in in your driveway, locking you out of the ecm again. I think the immediate future for tuning them is going to be diagnostic port connected devices that function similar to the Range device. I’m not saying the sky is falling, but it’s dark outside.

John
Dcasole (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Black18C7
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Dave
This ..

Quick Reply: AFM Lifter Failure