C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery replacement for C7 2016 corvette stingray

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 11:06 PM
Bluebart9
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery replacement for C7 2016 corvette stingray

2016 corvette stingray --- any precautions jump starting a dead battery ... Use battery pack? ... another vehicle? Should I connect to charger and slow charge to see if it will hold a charge?
Old 09-11-2018, 09:31 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluebart9
2016 corvette stingray --- any precautions jump starting a dead battery ... Use battery pack? ... another vehicle? Should I connect to charger and slow charge to see if it will hold a charge?
Blue , you never want top FAST CHARGE a dead battery , I would slow charge it no more than 10 amps … and if the battery is 3 years old , just replace it , if its 4, you are on borrowed time and 5 , just dump it now......

My OEM battery in my 2015 was giving me slow starts after only 3 years , Now I drive this car , it has 37,000 on it so its not sitting in the garage , started to get worried to the point where I was carrying jumper cables just in case . had it tested multiple times , at the dealer as I was hoping warranty would cover it and at Auto Zone and it always came back as the battery was good

This weekend at the track , after multiple starts and stops , it almost did not start …….

I was surprised when I looked and the battery and it was only a 550 cold cranking amp battery which is small , I tried putting it on the charger, and it would still start slow , so this weekend I bought a new battery as it was just not worth for me to get stuck

So I bought the biggest battery I could get for the Corvette a 760 Cold cranking amps and 930 total …. from Auto Zone ….
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...t+Platinum+AGM

For the first time since I own the car I am not worried about it starting … darn thing sounds like a jet engine starting now ….

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 09-12-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:50 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Blue , you never want top FAST CHARGE a dead battery , I would slow charge it no more than 10 amps … and if the battery is 3 years old , just replace it , if its 4, you are on borrowed time and 5 , just dump it now......

My OEM battery in my 2015 was giving me slow starts after only 3 years , Now I drive this car , it has 37,000 on it so its not sitting in the garage , started to get worried to the point where I was carrying jumper cables just in case . had it tested multiple times , at the dealer as I was hoping warranty would cover it and at Auto Zone and it always came back as the battery was good

This weekend at the track , after multiple starts and stops , it almost did not start …….

I was surprised when I looked and the battery and it was only a 550 cold cranking amp battery which is small , I tried putting it on the charger, and it would still start slow , so this weekend I bought a new battery as it was just not worth for me to get stuck

So I bought the biggest battery I could get for the Corvette a 760 Cold cracking amps and 930 total …. from Auto Zone ….
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...t+Platinum+AGM

For the first time since I own the car I am not worried about it starting … darn thing sounds like a jet engine starting now ….

Dave
Dave, your link you provided said they would install it for free when you buy the battery. Knowing that it's not too forward to change the battery. Did they do it for you while you waited?
Old 09-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mbaessler
Dave, your link you provided said they would install it for free when you buy the battery. Knowing that it's not too forward to change the battery. Did they do it for you while you waited?
mbaessler, I have had them install batteries in a few of my cars in the past just because I did not want to get dirty and they don't charge for it , I just give the guy a tip but I don't think I would let them put in my Corvette battery

They have a disclaimer that says they don't do certain cars because they are hard and I think the Corvette might fall into that category , I would call the store that you are going to use as I am sure that the abilities of the staff vary location to location

So I did mine myself …… Changing the battery out in a C7 is a lot harder than it looks as you have to take the interior plastic trim pieces on the RT rear side and across the back out of the car in-order for you to get the battery out of the cubby , these pieces were installed before the carpet and some floor panels so it made it difficult to take these off , being in the business I had the tools I needed to do this without disassembling the whole rear of the car . unhooking the rear cargo light and POWER port can be a challenge as there is not a lot of wire to work with

The panels just pop on and off but you have to be careful not to break the standoffs that hold the clips in place

You then have to carefully fold the carpet back being real careful you don't tear the backing and remove and tie the positive and negative cables out of the way . there is a set of fuses mounted to the battery using the positive cable clamp , the positive cable connects to this fuse panel with a 13 MM bolt , remove the cable first , then remove the assembly off the battery and set aside , Remove the vent tube , take off the hold down bar that is secured by 2 10 MM nuts

The original battery does not have handles so you have to use a battery lifting device as there is no way you can get your hands around the battery and lift it ,

I looped a nylon hold down strap around the battery and used this for lifting

Once out, transfer the little VENT TUBE over to the new battery , the new battery had handles so it dropped right back in , then I just reversed the assembly process , hooked up the wires and was set to go , everything goes back together nicely and you can never tell that I had the car apart

So , if you have a good mechanical ability and some tools ( 1/4 ratchet and extension , 10 MM and a 13 MM socket , panel tool or large screwdriver , something you can use to loop around the battery to lift it out ) it will take about an hour , if not …. I would highly recommend paying the dealer to do the job , just make sure you ask for a bigger battery than the stock one as it is hardly up to the task of starting and powering the car

Please feel free to PM me or email me thru the forum if you have more questions as I would be glad to walk you thru it
Dave
The following 2 users liked this post by Dcasole:
B-17/B-25 CC (09-12-2018), dvhughes (12-17-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:35 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

mbaessler, I have had them install batteries in a few of my cars in the past just because I did not want to get dirty and they don't charge for it , I just give the guy a tip but I don't think I would let them put in my Corvette battery

They have a disclaimer that says they don't do certain cars because they are hard and I think the Corvette might fall into that category , I would call the store that you are going to use as I am sure that the abilities of the staff vary location to location

So I did mine myself …… Changing the battery out in a C7 is a lot harder than it looks as you have to take the interior plastic trim pieces on the RT rear side and across the back out of the car in-order for you to get the battery out of the cubby , these pieces were installed before the carpet and some floor panels so it made it difficult to take these off , being in the business I had the tools I needed to do this without disassembling the whole rear of the car . unhooking the rear cargo light and POWER port can be a challenge as there is not a lot of wire to work with

The panels just pop on and off but you have to be careful not to break the standoffs that hold the clips in place

You then have to carefully fold the carpet back being real careful you don't tear the backing and remove and tie the positive and negative cables out of the way . there is a set of fuses mounted to the battery using the positive cable clamp , the positive cable connects to this fuse panel with a 13 MM bolt , remove the cable first , then remove the assembly off the battery and set aside , Remove the vent tube , take off the hold down bar that is secured by 2 10 MM nuts

The original battery does not have handles so you have to use a battery lifting device as there is no way you can get your hands around the battery and lift it ,

I looped a nylon hold down strap around the battery and used this for lifting

Once out, transfer the little VENT TUBE over to the new battery , the new battery had handles so it dropped right back in , then I just reversed the assembly process , hooked up the wires and was set to go , everything goes back together nicely and you can never tell that I had the car apart

So , if you have a good mechanical ability and some tools ( 1/4 ratchet and extension , 10 MM and a 13 MM socket , panel tool or large screwdriver , something you can use to loop around the battery to lift it out ) it will take about an hour , if not …. I would highly recommend paying the dealer to do the job , just make sure you ask for a bigger battery than the stock one as it is hardly up to the task of starting and powering the car

Please feel free to PM me or email me thru the forum if you have more questions as I would be glad to walk you thru it
Dave
Dave awful kind of you and thanks for the description. I think when it's time I will just have someone install it for me. Don't want to mess my back up extracting it. I run the battery tender (Corvette version) on it all the time when I'm not using it. My Challenger battery, I did the same thing. When I sold it the original battery was 8 years old and still very healthy. It will be interesting to see how long the Corvette battery lasts. The Challenger battery only lasted for 3 years for most folks. The battery tender really extended the life.
The following users liked this post:
Dcasole (09-12-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 12:47 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Be sure the person that installs it is familiar with the procedure Dave nicely captured above. Otherwise a rookie while tear your trunk carpet.
Dcasole (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 04:39 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I have a 15 too and I used this one https://www.4wd.com//p/odyssey-batte.../R-FBBX-48-720. I installed it myself but it's a lot better than the factory one. I was getting some codes that didn't make sense and after the battery change have not had any more codes. With the electronics on these cars it pays to have a good battery.
Dcasole (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I have a 15 too and I used this one https://www.4wd.com//p/odyssey-batte.../R-FBBX-48-720. I installed it myself but it's a lot better than the factory one. I was getting some codes that didn't make sense and after the battery change have not had any more codes. With the electronics on these cars it pays to have a good battery.
This battery shows only 2 year free replacement while the Advance Auto version above is a full 3 years. I would probably choose that one with the additional year of protection.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:48 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

The Odyssey 2 year is full replacement not prorated, unless they've changed recently. I've bought both and have had better service from odyssey than any other battery I've used, agm or otherwise.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:53 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful
This battery shows only 2 year free replacement while the Advance Auto version above is a full 3 years. I would probably choose that one with the additional year of protection.
Yep they both have the same cranking amps but I chose the one with the better warranty plus it was available at my local store
This was the best money I have spent in a long time as I no longer worry about going out to the car and having it not start ...or watching my battery guage spike to 15.1
Still cant believe that GM puts a 500 amp battery in a Corvette, my Tauruis has a bigger battery lol lol
Dave
Old 09-13-2018, 06:01 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
The Odyssey 2 year is full replacement not prorated, unless they've changed recently. I've bought both and have had better service from odyssey than any other battery I've used, agm or otherwise.
that's cool !!
the platuim is also a 3 year full replacement plus I got a 20.00 rebate
Dave
Old 09-14-2018, 10:56 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

that's cool !!
the platuim is also a 3 year full replacement plus I got a 20.00 rebate
Dave
Yeah I think they're both a lot better than the factory battery they came with.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:04 AM
JME1965
8th Gear

Need to say thank you whoever posted on how to remove the C7 battery. I was just charged $550 for a new one ... outrageous!
Old 12-04-2018, 01:47 AM
The T-man
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

any idea how much dealer charges to swap it?
Old 12-04-2018, 09:53 AM
B-17/B-25 CC
Burning Brakes

Received 510 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by The T-man
any idea how much dealer charges to swap it?
Battery and labor cost me around $208 last month at my local dealer.
Labor: 65.00
Battery: 124.95 (42 month battery 48PG)
Misc fee: 7.15
Tax: 10.86

Last edited by B-17/B-25 CC; 12-04-2018 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 12-04-2018, 09:55 AM
JME1965
8th Gear

550 here in San Diego at Jimmie Johnson Chevy...
Old 12-04-2018, 11:39 AM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

How do you prevent the radio from loosing the VIN information? Can you plug in a tender while you change the battery and keep the system from loosing the programming?

Get notified of new replies

To Battery replacement for C7 2016 corvette stingray

Old 12-04-2018, 12:12 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

I haven't heard of this happening on the C7. Guys are unplugging their batteries all the time while diagnosing problems.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:19 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

I didn't have any problem with mine when I switched the battery.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:29 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chev
How do you prevent the radio from loosing the VIN information? Can you plug in a tender while you change the battery and keep the system from loosing the programming?
When I replaced my battery the only thing I had to do was re-index the windows. No settings were lost.

Quick Reply: Battery replacement for C7 2016 corvette stingray