C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tune out NPP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:41 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxms
I've got an M7, but I don't think I have that option in the Engine Sound Management. I'm pretty sure its either Auto or Disabled. I tried it both ways and neither had the desired effect. What year do you have? Mine is a '14.
Here's my old thread with all the info and links for the DIY remote for the NPP fuse:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ck-result.html

Recently updated DIY remote thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ob-how-to.html
Old 10-11-2018, 02:17 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxms
That sounds awesome! Is the tuning of the NPP difficult (i.e something that an experienced HPT tuner needs to do)?

It's not hard at all. First you just have to log all of the PID's that pertain to the NPP operation. There are about 9 or so. After you go on a drive and log the cars operation in all modes you will know what tables refer to which modes. Once you know that , its pretty easy. You can leave the RPM and gear boundaries the same and just adjust the valves open/close %. OR you can totally rewrite it if you really want to customize it, but I found no need to do so. There is a thread over on HPTuners forum that discusses tuning the NPP and they used me and my car to get it working for the C7 corvettes. They had it working for the Camaros already but the vettes use a different BCM.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:27 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Check out my How To thread on disabling the AFM valves through HPT. All the same steps apply. Only thing thats different is that you would want to disable NPP codes rather than the AFM codes.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

if you're afraid of tunes and warranty the cool part is you do not have to license the ECM or TCM to tune the NPP how you want it because you can license the CCM separately.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:21 PM
DomLS3
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
It's not hard at all. First you just have to log all of the PID's that pertain to the NPP operation. There are about 9 or so. After you go on a drive and log the cars operation in all modes you will know what tables refer to which modes. Once you know that , its pretty easy. You can leave the RPM and gear boundaries the same and just adjust the valves open/close %. OR you can totally rewrite it if you really want to customize it, but I found no need to do so. There is a thread over on HPTuners forum that discusses tuning the NPP and they used me and my car to get it working for the C7 corvettes. They had it working for the Camaros already but the vettes use a different BCM.
What table is this under to change the open/close %'s? How exactly do you access the BCM/CCM from HPT?
Old 10-17-2018, 10:30 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by djpelosi
What table is this under to change the open/close %'s? How exactly do you access the BCM/CCM from HPT?
two posts up I said to check out my How To thread for the AFM valves. Screenshots and everything..
The following users liked this post:
Felix Seippel (04-18-2021)
Old 10-17-2018, 10:42 AM
DomLS3
Pro

Originally Posted by FYREANT

two posts up I said to check out my How To thread for the AFM valves. Screenshots and everything..
One would think you would supply the link for it if you're referencing it....

Last edited by DomLS3; 10-17-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:44 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

One would think you would supply the link for it if you're referencing it....
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hp-tuners.html
Old 10-17-2018, 10:45 AM
DomLS3
Pro

Thanks but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to know where to go to change the NPP settings, not the AFM. I want to set the NPP valves to remain open 100% of the time in specific drive modes (even under 39mph). I don't see any screenshots that show where to do this.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:51 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Thanks but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to know where to go to change the NPP settings, not the AFM. I want to set the NPP valves to remain open 100% of the time in specific drive modes (even under 39mph). I don't see any screenshots that show where to do this.
you asked where you go to change the BCM/CCM. This shows how to get to it. Thats the question I was answering
Old 10-17-2018, 10:52 AM
DomLS3
Pro

Originally Posted by FYREANT

you asked where you go to change the BCM/CCM. This shows how to get to it. Thats the question I was answering
The NPP settings are in the BCM/CCM. What you posted only shows how to disable DTCs, not actually make changes to the settings in the BCM/CCM for NPP.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:57 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

The NPP settings are in the BCM/CCM. What you posted only shows how to disable DTCs, not actually make changes to the settings in the BCM/CCM for NPP.
The codes I showed you are all we have access to in the BCM currently unless thats recently changed since I wrote the guide. There is no way to modify actual values for the BCM yet unfortunately unless they just recently figured it out.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:58 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Either way, the C304 module is the BCM and that shows you how to get into it with HPT.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:13 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

several months we have had access to the CCM (not BCM) to adjust the valve characteristics....

FYREANT (10-17-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:06 AM
DomLS3
Pro

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
several months we have had access to the CCM (not BCM) to adjust the valve characteristics....
To my understanding you have to have a separate credit for this as well right?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:01 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

To my understanding you have to have a separate credit for this as well right?
​​​​​​​two

Last edited by sevinn; 10-18-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:17 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-gen-Camaro-SS

This thread has all of the info you need. It starts with the Camaro CCM, but then transitions into C7 CCM. The tables are identical none the less.

P.S.: Higgs is right, I meant Chassis Control Module (CCM) but I typed BCM (Body Control Module) in my first reply.

Last edited by Internets_Ninja; 10-18-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How to tune out NPP?

Old 10-20-2018, 03:45 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Do you have an M7 or an A8. If you have an M7 just go to to the Settings menu on your center dash display and use the Engine Sound Management section to set the exhaust in Track Mode. That will leave the valves open all of the time except when the engine is running in V4 mode. Since that can only happen with an M7 when Eco is selected you get both closed and open valves in that mode depending on whether the engine is operating in V4 or V8 mode.

There is no need to pull a fuse or tune anything. It operates the same way with an A8 but the A8 switches from V8 to V4 and back in Tour and Sport modes.

The only time it doesn't switch is when the transmission is place in manual mode.

I have an M7 Z06 with the exhaust set in Track Mode all the time. I have wide open exhaust all of the time except in Eco Mode. The neat thing is when in Eco mode I know when the engine switches from V8 to V4 to V8. Loud exhaust in V8 mode and quiet exhaust in V4 mode. Even in cruise control at 45 mph in 5th gear with rpms somewhere around 1500 I can hear the exhaust switch as the ECM increases throttle as the car encounters a rise in the road and switches to V8 mode or once it is on level ground decreases throttle and switches back to V4 mode.

Bill
This is exactly how I have mine set too.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:55 PM
DomLS3
Pro

Originally Posted by BradT
this is not correct. Setting the sound to track on the infotainment system does not leave the valves open 100% of the time. They still close at lower rpms/speeds even when set to track mode.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:36 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BradT

The valves still close in track mode at some point. 4th gear for M7's and I forgot what gear for A8s.

Quick Reply: How to tune out NPP?