C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Ticking Debate

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 08:01 PM
humblepie
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Ticking Debate

Greetings all! heck of a first post to make I know.... but I want to contribute to the ticking Lt1 debate. To me this sounds more like a rocker or lifter than an injector cycling or anything relating to mechanical fuel pump. 1100rpms and then 1800-2500rpm in cabin while driving. Deceleration and acceleration both noticeable. One dealer has said "normal DI noise" one dealer has requested I leave it with them next week for more investigation. What do you guys think?. The motor looks to be healthy on the local dyno it make 436 and 441 compared to my C5z that made 375 and 360. Best to hear with head phones.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 794 Likes on 381 Posts

I agree, it doesnt sound like your typical DI ticking. DI ticking is only audible at idle and goes away once you give it gas. I’d leave it with the dealer to diagnose the problem. I doubt it’s the valve train, it might be something as simple as a loose clamp at the exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (10-20-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 07:18 PM
humblepie
Cruising

as an update dealer has since diagnosed this as an issue with the torque tube and drive shaft? Im really not sure about this one folks.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by humblepie
as an update dealer has since diagnosed this as an issue with the torque tube and drive shaft? Im really not sure about this one folks.
If you have an M7 disengage the clutch and see if the noise goes away. Since the clutch is mounted to the back of the engine with it disengaged the drive shaft doesn't rotate and shouldn't be making any noise.

Bill
Old 10-23-2018, 07:54 PM
humblepie
Cruising

Thanks Bill, I have had the same result as far as the ticking noise with the clutch pedal in/out, accelerating/ decelerating, in neutral and in gear. Im really not interested in the dealer picking random parts to replace. They are saying the other 2019's on the lot do not make the noise as recorded above.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:04 AM
lisl12
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2017 A8 GS has this "ticking" as well at these RPMS..dealer told me the other ones had it that they compared to..
Old 11-02-2018, 08:12 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

It's a "new normal" sound for 2019's. All the 2019's do it in that RPM range. In addition to all the improvements in the 2019, they play with sound deadening material changes / locations / thickness / shapes, etc as well... and something got changed that makes the pump more audible in this range of RPM's. It's a variation on the classic sewing machine sound DI pumps make - and it's always in that RPM range - never above - never below - never louder. Trim levels may change the perception - but it's there. More audible in the cabin than outside the car. And like anything mechanical with tolerances - some variability in volume and the range of RPM's - but it's NORMAL. AND... some peoples hearing is more sensitive to the sound than others - so in my c7 - I have had passengers that ask what it is - and I have had passengers that can not hear it - when it's clearly audible to me. So if you hear it - then your ears need to be the ears listening to other cars.

Also - it's not a LT1 only "feature" the LT4's make the exact same sound.

Last edited by fishpick; 11-02-2018 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Ticking Debate

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Debate