AFM - rear bumper removal??? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFM - rear bumper removal???

Old 12-05-2018, 01:39 PM
BSSlomovic

Default AFM - rear bumper removal???

After my first track day I got the dreaded CEL caused by melted AFM flaps. It took me a month for GM to agree to replace the two mufflers with their AFM flaps under warrantee. They told me that they have to remove the whole rear bumper to pull out the mufflers; however, I believe that you can get the mufflers out by just removing the diffuser as the dude in this video did.
When I mentioned this to them they replied that removing the diffuser is not GM protocol. What a load of crap!!! Am I wrong? Can anyone else confirm that I am right?
Old 12-05-2018, 02:14 PM
Sconn
CF Senior Member

We only removed the lower diffuser to install the axle back exhaust. Worked fine.

Last edited by Sconn; 12-05-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:29 PM
BSSlomovic

Originally Posted by Sconn View Post
We only removed the lower diffuser to install the axle back exhaust. Worked fine.
Are there any diagrams that I can show the techs? I think they want to screw me for extra work time!
Old 12-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Dado5
CF Senior Member

I changed my exhaust to borla with floor jack and 2 jack stands at home and i removed rear diffuser only. No issues
Old 12-05-2018, 11:14 PM
Sconn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BSSlomovic View Post
Are there any diagrams that I can show the techs? I think they want to screw me for extra work time!
Here's a start. Most aftermarket exhaust install instructions show the removal of the rear diffuser.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:56 PM
BSSlomovic

Default I would love the link for the installation...PLS

Originally Posted by Sconn View Post
Here's a start. Most aftermarket exhaust install instructions show the removal of the rear diffuser.

I looked on the Borla site; however, I couldn't find the installation instruction link.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Sconn
CF Senior Member

I looked on the Borla site; however, I couldn't find the installation instruction link.
I just did a regular Google search and Borla's was one of the first that popped up.

Could just search "C7 Corvette rear diffuser removal" and see what you find. Again, definitely possible to just remove the diffuser part only.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:40 AM
SgtMajUSMC
CF Senior Member

Sticky How-to at the top of this section, how to remove/replace rear lower bumper fascia:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-fascia.html
Old 12-09-2018, 12:37 PM
Sconn
CF Senior Member

Just FYI... We did not remove the lower grill inserts and also, they need to be very careful removing those rear reflectors. I broke tabs on each one. Forced me to get aftermarket smoked ones... Teehee

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: