C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katech throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 08:04 AM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Received 530 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
I’m curious about this. Wouldn’t a bolt on change to the engine effect or void the warranty? I realize it depends on how cool (or not) your dealer is about it. Curious if anyone has had experience with their dealer after a TB nstall.
Only if they are proven to be the cause of the issue that initiated the claim. But they do not bust engines, we haven't heard of a single case w/ ours or similar competitors products. But you really don't want or need to enter that argument and these are so easy to install/uninstall. For any other claim/visit not related to the engine, you can leave them on.
www.solerengineering.com

The following users liked this post:
Hitman227 (04-25-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 08:25 AM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Kracka
Soler seems to be the clear leader right now, and the only one with actual technical data to back it up. I like how he cuts the shalf down so it's only 1-sided. I upgraded from another brand to his and overall car seems to run smoother with less hesitation. I haven't retuned for it yet, but my tuner said not to worry about it just swapping from one brand to another.

Mamo appears to be incorporating some of Soler's design ideas into his v2. Good for him, competition drives the industry! Katech was the first to cut down the shaft on the LT1 TB way back when and I always wondered why others at the time weren't immediately jumping on that idea (the other popular brands at that time were WeaponX & Vmax). WeaponX is still around and makes a solid product. Vmax seemed to be junk though and finally stopped selling them. There's been a few other brands that have also come & gone after their 15 minutes of fame of being the current "hot street set up."

You really can't go wrong with Soler, Mamo v2, or Katech though. All make a legit product.
Thanks, Kracka. Glad you are looking at the little things/differences, they matter. Yes, competition is good, from our end it makes things more exciting and it surely drove us to make things differently. It also keeps vendors honest, we have seen data and claims we disagree with, to say the least. With competition and knowing we can cross-examine each other, we hope whatever data is published will be honest and accurate too. This is great for members, no doubt.

Last edited by Mike@SolerEngr; 04-13-2020 at 08:26 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mike@SolerEngr:
JoeD-C8 (09-03-2020), Keithwinnfl (09-18-2020), Kracka (04-14-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 01:21 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

How do you know drilling a hole will cure the problem? Maybe you have a vacuum leak,just throwing stuff out there.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:03 PM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by DRIVER456
How do you know drilling a hole will cure the problem? Maybe you have a vacuum leak,just throwing stuff out there.
Yeah but drilling a hole's not going to hurt it. I don't know the background, however that's just tuning the TB some, no harm no foul, just commenting. Carry on
Old 08-03-2020, 09:40 AM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Soler TB, and TC and lag will definitely be gone !!!
The following 2 users liked this post by 08velocity:
edweiler (08-17-2020), Mike@SolerEngr (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@SolerEngr
. It also keeps vendors honest, we have seen data and claims we disagree with, to say the least.
Have you been able to get some cars on the dyno and provide any data to the community?

Last edited by Internets_Ninja; 08-03-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Mike@SolerEngr (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 12:34 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Great question. No, a chassis dyno is not the proper instrument to measure the small differences (percentage-wise) we are looking for. Even if we were to find a Dyno that can repeat within 1% of its scale or measurement, WOT power is setup dependent (Model, Mods, Tune, Atmospheric Conditions, Dyno Brand, Operator Expertise, and many more). There are just too many variables that are not under a controlled environment or our control at all. We cannot vouch for anything like this. We do have customers that have done their independent dynos and there is an array of results, we claim none.

We sell better valves, with more capacity, and for that, we have airflow data to show on our website. How the customer uses that capacity and how it is measured, is outside our domain.

We are however seriously exploring the possibility of using a load dyno to capture power at partial throttle, which is very significant percentage-wise and can be properly captured in a chassis dyno with load control.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:59 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,262 Likes on 3,490 Posts

Did I miss something, or has there been a post deleted from this thread? Posts #23 & #24 seem to be referring to something no longer here.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:59 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Great question. No, a chassis dyno is not the proper instrument to measure the small differences (percentage-wise) we are looking for. Even if we were to find a Dyno that can repeat within 1% of its scale or measurement, WOT power is setup dependent (Model, Mods, Tune, Atmospheric Conditions, Dyno Brand, Operator Expertise, and many more). There are just too many variables that are not under a controlled environment or our control at all. We cannot vouch for anything like this. We do have customers that have done their independent dynos and there is an array of results, we claim none.

We sell better valves, with more capacity, and for that, we have airflow data to show on our website. How the customer uses that capacity and how it is measured, is outside our domain.

We are however seriously exploring the possibility of using a load dyno to capture power at partial throttle, which is very significant percentage-wise and can be properly captured in a chassis dyno with load control.
I understand your stance on this as it is a slippery slope if you start making power claims. I have a little different opinion but it would be a long conversation that is not appropriate for this thread. We can certainly agree that ported throttle bodies are great improvement for part throttle drive-ability. I imagine that a majority of your customers are much more interested in solving the lazy throttle vs any sort of max power efforts.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:00 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
I understand your stance on this as it is a slippery slope if you start making power claims. I have a little different opinion but it would be a long conversation that is not appropriate for this thread. We can certainly agree that ported throttle bodies are great improvement for part throttle drive-ability. I imagine that a majority of your customers are much more interested in solving the lazy throttle vs any sort of max power efforts.
Here's a very recent dyno for our LT5 TB on a stock ZR1. We can only claim partial throttle gains. WOT gains are there, but the uncertainty of the dyno is there too. Data is on posts 29 and 30.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ck-it-out.html

Yes, most are going after better throttle response, but we didn't forget about those looking for maximum power, the WOT area increase is there, the WOT airflow test is there too. We always tell our customers that the increased capacity of a modified TB does not mean power increase until you fill that capacity, or if you already increased airflow to a level that made your TB too small for the job.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:42 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Here's a very recent dyno for our LT5 TB on a stock ZR1. We can only claim partial throttle gains. WOT gains are there, but the uncertainty of the dyno is there too. Data is on posts 29 and 30.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ck-it-out.html

Yes, most are going after better throttle response, but we didn't forget about those looking for maximum power, the WOT area increase is there, the WOT airflow test is there too. We always tell our customers that the increased capacity of a modified TB does not mean power increase until you fill that capacity, or if you already increased airflow to a level that made your TB too small for the job.

Oh yeah, on a stock tune the max gains are going to be erratic because of so many variables out of control with the ECU. The ECU in stock form will actually start to close the throttle and pull timing if it exceeds the airmass limit. That is one of the reasons the dyno results can be erratic with ported TB's on Z06's and ZR1's on stock tunes. LT1's don't have as much as a max variance so they never run into that issue on the stock tune. Anyhow, thanks for talking and that thread had a lot of good data to look at.

Last edited by Internets_Ninja; 08-13-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Mike@SolerEngr (08-14-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 10:19 AM
speedz06
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

In the past 30 years of tinkering I have had mixed results and none conclusive. That is why this thread is also inconclusive. I'll surely take some advice though.

I'm running an eforce LS7 on my 06Z with a mild lingenfelter cam. OEM throttle body. I too wonder if I am leaving power on the table. I bought a GMPP LS7 crate motor (camaro model) and the throttle body on that has a few differences from my original.

Anyone just bolt on the new throttle body (ported or larger) and see great results or did you have to tune? If my supercharged C6 Z PD blower would run even a little bit like my 2002 Ford F150 Lightning (that I purchased with a larger throttle body installed) at off idle and part throttle it would be amazing. The lightning has an accufab throttle body.
What makes me skittish is way back I bolted a bbk throttle body to my LT4/LT1 1996 Impalla SS and it was a mess of hesitation. That experience sucked enough to keep me from bolting on throttle bodies even 20 years later.

Thanks.

Last edited by speedz06; 08-29-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:40 PM
Tommy79
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 215 Posts

Warranty is the only reason I won't install one. Have the same issue with my MB. "Fly by wire" does add a hesitation to the gas pedal.

Another reason not to swap your current throttle body for a new one.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:23 PM
Gbrooks1
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. I’m surprised that this thread is still going. If anyone gives a damn. I kept my C7 stock. I wound up buying a C5 Z to modify for the track. Rich at Able Chevrolet is giving it the LG/ Willhoff treatment. 😄
Old 03-22-2021, 05:37 PM
Goat 2 Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 482 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbrooks1
What I’m trying to get rid of is the dead spot when you take off from a dead stop. Like from a stop sign or a traffic light. I realize that it’s not going to be a performance gain.
You need a throttle controller. That will eliminate it. It did for me. The car is 10X more fun to drive now..
Old 03-22-2021, 05:38 PM
Goat 2 Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gbrooks1
Wow. I’m surprised that this thread is still going. If anyone gives a damn. I kept my C7 stock. I wound up buying a C5 Z to modify for the track. Rich at Able Chevrolet is giving it the LG/ Willhoff treatment. 😄
LG/Willhoff treatment?
Old 03-22-2021, 05:42 PM
Goat 2 Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tommy79
Warranty is the only reason I won't install one. Have the same issue with my MB. "Fly by wire" does add a hesitation to the gas pedal.

Another reason not to swap your current throttle body for a new one.
Get a throttle controller, problem solved, warranty intact. The way these cars feel feel is absolute garbage, and until you get a throttle controller installed, don't try to tell anyone otherwise. You won't believe how it wakes your car up and the response on the throttle can be adjusted anyway you want. Worth every cent!

Get notified of new replies

To Katech throttle body

Old 03-22-2021, 08:59 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I have the 103 but I'm procharged. Bigger TB's make much more of a difference on PD blowers. So yes if PD, only do it for looks for if you have some extra $$ to spend on centris or turbo.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:04 PM
Langang
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Not So Fast!

Thanks, everyone for your kind words.

Gbrooks, we completely understand what you are after. That is the only thing we do here and the reason we exist. We offer a full solution to the issue, Throttle Body + Throttle Controller, 15-min DIY, warranty safe, Money back warranty. Please consider us. Feel free to email or call if you have any questions.

Installed the Soler 87 TB on a C8, nothing but CELs, over & over. Hoping to resolve with Soler, before I remove it and go back to OEM as my car is down for two days with every CEL and very limited & choppy response. Hoping Soler can assist...
Old 06-25-2021, 08:45 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Sorry, to hear that, Langang. I see you have been posting this on several threads. This is not the best nor the fastest way to reach us. Please, contact us immediately. Our contact information is in my signature. We'll get to the bottom of it or your money back.

Quick Reply: Katech throttle body