C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Rumor has it 2015 Z06 (Z07 Package) is sub 7:08 at Ring

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:24 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 328 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
This does make sense on most tracks but it doesn't make sense at the Ring. A large part of the ring is the straight away at the very end of it. It's very long and you're on it for a while. I bet the Z07 with all the aero doesn't accelerate (100+mph) as hard as the ZR1 or end up going as fast on that straight. It makes a huge difference on the time. I'm guessing this thing just beats the ZR1 and comes in around ~7:15.

But I hope you're right!!!

Best,
Gene
Straightaway speed is determined by many factors. One major one you left out is corner exit speed. With that aero, the new e-diff and 640ish ft/lbs i doubt the new struggles to best the straightaway terminal velocity of the c6 zr1 as you proclain.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:26 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by evo8power
There's no rumor, it hasn't been to the Ring yet
No chance they have run it there yet.
If they want to get to a 7:08 or better they are going to have to go all in and rent the track, do tons of timed laps, and use a pro driver that has had time to get use to the car. Not just make one or 2 timed laps like they did the last time they had the ZR1 and Z07 out at the Ring. Both of those cars could have run faster times with a test program like Nissan uses.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 PM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddylac10
The Z is already beating the ZR1 around Milford which is a short course. When you multiply a 1 - 2 second improvement like that (maybe more), over a 14 mile course like Ring, shaving 10 - 15 seconds is very doable. I mean, look at the Z...the grip and downforce is going to be ridiculous.

While it might seem crazy to compare the Z to these hybrid-hypercars, it needs to be noted that the power from these cars are derived from adding up the totals for both systems. It's not like they are 900 hp combustion engines alone and they aren't running 900 hp at once.

A big reason for the hybrid systems is to fill torque gaps, which these high-revving motors do not have. However, the Z has torque in spades. Not to mention, cars like the P1 couldn't even do a full lap at the Ring without the battery depleting so these kinds of systems are not giving the car the full benefit all of the time.

I think if you really evaluate the Z, it's going to lay down some ridiculous times. I would not be surprised to see it go near 7:05. It's going to be closer than people think to these hybrid-hypercars.
Mclaren has said that the P1 does less than 7:00 but they have never reveal the exact time.

And Ferrari has not said a word about La Ferrari time at the ring.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:37 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

The OP just picked the time based on what the GT-R ran.

Obviously GM did not test the new Z06 on the ring yet.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:50 PM
Caddylac10
Racer

Originally Posted by ivanjo11
Mclaren has said that the P1 does less than 7:00 but they have never reveal the exact time.

And Ferrari has not said a word about La Ferrari time at the ring.
I know, and that's my point. McLaren didn't do anything until they prove it. They posted 7:04 and faded from the contest after that. McLaren was the one that said they were going to set records before all of this started and they backed out. Porsche backed it up. Ferrari could care less about a Ring time so we'll probably never see one.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

BTW, Tadge confirmed what I said in his Q&A today on Jalopnik:

Q: I noticed the Nürburgring in the background, what was the lap time?

A: We won't know for a year. Development has just started and the 'Ring is the last place we go.

So I wish people like the OP would stop creating crap threads like this. There is no "rumor", you just want to act like you know something. Yes, you're that guy.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:58 PM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Caddylac10
I know, and that's my point. McLaren didn't do anything until they prove it. They posted 7:04 and faded from the contest after that. McLaren was the one that said they were going to set records before all of this started and they backed out. Porsche backed it up. Ferrari could care less about a Ring time so we'll probably never see one.
What is going to be interesting is which Z06 is faster at the Ring the Auto or the Manual.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:56 PM
BAD2000TA
Instructor

So, the rumor is that GM is going to run the Z06 at the 'Ring!!! And drive it fast!!!

But remember.....Shhhh....!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:14 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,301 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
BTW, Tadge confirmed what I said in his Q&A today on Jalopnik:

Q: I noticed the Nürburgring in the background, what was the lap time?

A: We won't know for a year. Development has just started and the 'Ring is the last place we go.

So I wish people like the OP would stop creating crap threads like this. There is no "rumor", you just want to act like you know something. Yes, you're that guy.
I'd think they'd have to do it before the weather starts turning bad there later this year, so it would have to be less than a year from now
Old 01-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
Dang...it's going to put a whoopin' on my C5 Z51 time of 10 min 20 seconds...lol
Old 01-15-2014, 05:38 PM
gtrguy
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

they cut 10 sec off base gtr ring time with the nismo. i still cant understand how the nismo did 7.08 with only 600hp, 3600 lbs, and runflat tires. i do know their aero and suspension packages were tailored specifically for the ring with softer spring rates. and they added a front lsd.

i think z06 can get close esp if they let drivers have lots of practice. not as easy to tackle ring with rwd as with gtr awd.

regardless, main issue with these forced induction cars is they over heat so easily. i have to do cool down laps with 2013 gtr after 10 minutes in summer temps. can only do full 20 min session in early spring or late fall
Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 880 Likes on 450 Posts

As I expected this is complete nonsense.

Tadge did a QA with Jalopnik readers today and this came up. Maybe he would keep quite about a specific time. However he straight up says the ring is a year away and I'm certain that's no lie.

Best,
Gene
My thoughts exactly, read that when Tadge was in the Q&A and remember he said the ring is the place they go and track testing is further towards the end of the year.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:16 PM
nevillej
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
You heard it here 1st. Will bump this when info is released.
As you said this is a rumor, they won't even have the car at the ring until much later in the development cycle according to GM, basically near the end of the year (Last quarter) I would presume, but I hope your numbers are correct
Old 01-15-2014, 08:23 PM
C6Sixspeed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gtrguy
they cut 10 sec off base gtr ring time with the nismo. i still cant understand how the nismo did 7.08 with only 600hp, 3600 lbs, and runflat tires. i do know their aero and suspension packages were tailored specifically for the ring with softer spring rates. and they added a front lsd.

i think z06 can get close esp if they let drivers have lots of practice. not as easy to tackle ring with rwd as with gtr awd.

regardless, main issue with these forced induction cars is they over heat so easily. i have to do cool down laps with 2013 gtr after 10 minutes in summer temps. can only do full 20 min session in early spring or late fall
Here's how:

"The Time Attack car, as Nissan refers to it, car had bigger spoilers for more downforce, different dampers and brake pads, bucket seats that contributed to a significant 50kg weight saving and a new ECU map. Together those modifications could count for several seconds around the ‘ring, but perhaps even more significantly the car used to set the time had been tuned specifically for the Nordschleife, as NISMO’s engineers confess."
Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
You heard it here 1st. Will bump this when info is released.
You are quoting the time of the new Nissan GT-R Nismo package.
Also the Z06 has never been to the ring, so it isn't even a rumor, it is a complete fabrication.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:40 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

This thread is a complete fabrication. Completely pointless. Science fiction bench-racing at its finest. Let's just wait for some real data next year. When there is a video released of a car running a fast Ring time, then we'll know.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:18 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

If the aero is as good as gm claims the ring time will be a lot better than many think. The downforce is a huge deal not only for cornering speed but in putting the power down earlier and harder in corner exits.

Get notified of new replies

To Rumor has it 2015 Z06 (Z07 Package) is sub 7:08 at Ring

Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 PM
CDNZR
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 250 Posts

The question is should they use a 7spd or 8spd auto?
Old 01-16-2014, 01:37 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Nope!

This does make sense on most tracks but it doesn't make sense at the Ring. A large part of the ring is the straight away at the very end of it. It's very long and you're on it for a while. I bet the Z07 with all the aero doesn't accelerate (100+mph) as hard as the ZR1 or end up going as fast on that straight. It makes a huge difference on the time. I'm guessing this thing just beats the ZR1 and comes in around ~7:15.

But I hope you're right!!!

Best,
Gene
The Vettes waste their driver at the Ring. They have been hot rods, and great on the shorter tracks, but, obviously too much to hold onto on the Green Hell. Downforce through a harder Z28 like suspension with an auto should be exactly what the doctored ordered for a bunch. And I can't imagine GM not going after that GTR's 7:08 at this juncture!

I don't think I have ever been as excited about a Vette. Even when I bought my C5 Z06 and turbocharged it. I just like it when I see things getting done right, and they can afford that.!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:07 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by evo8power
There's no rumor, it hasn't been to the Ring yet

The production car has not been there yet. Why? Because they don't have their final production standards set yet. They still have EPA testing, engine validation junk, etc. So there is still tweaking going on.

Do they have mules running the ring? Don't know that.

Scott

Quick Reply: Rumor has it 2015 Z06 (Z07 Package) is sub 7:08 at Ring