C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Order a Manual or Automatic ZO6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:25 AM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
The Corvette C7. Cadillac CTS-V. Full size truck line. Chevrolet SS. Chevrolet Cruze etc.
If the combination of quality/performance/comfort/value of those awesome vehicles hasn't earned your business then likely nothing will.

With the exception of the C7 and the Z28 NONE of those cars are doing very well in comparison to the competition. Cadillac is sucking serious windage. New truck is out less than a year and they are having trouble giving them away with their 60 month financing. Cruze? You have to be kidding.

People are aware of recalls and that is a BIG problem for GM. The Ram and new F150 are going to kill GM truck sales---wonder why mid cycle they just decided to dump in the 8 speed trans JUST as the other new trucks come out-------still won't help. Their trucks are also down because everyone is waiting for these, as well as half ton diesels which there will be at least three. Cruze is cheap. Cadillac way over styled and priced. CTSV will be way overpriced and outgunned by the Hellcat charger for 60k.

GM still has big problems. Lawsuits and long term deception included.

Don't have to believe it, stock prices will clearly tell winners in the public realm.

Last edited by 02HREBlue; 08-16-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:30 AM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lavender
Considering the only GM car I ever had is my '14 Stingray...I'm the biggest fanatic there is LOL. Nice try troll! :rof l:

Lavender-----your name says it all purple one. You are a senior member supposedly and the only GM you ever had is a NEW Stingray? I have owned GM cars for 30 years, everything from Escalades and Vettes to multiple pickups, and family GM cars. I have had many years to obtain my experienced opinion.

Nothing wrong with liking something, but you sir seem to be a troll with your apparent very small bin of knowledge about anything.

Joined in 2013, first Vette a C7, and anyone believes you have experience with anything GM? You said it first. Hilarious and quite pathetic we should believe you.

Last edited by 02HREBlue; 08-16-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue
Lavender-----your name says it all purple one. You are a senior member supposedly and the only GM you ever had is a NEW Stingray? I have owned GM cars for 30 years, everything from Escalades and Vettes to multiple pickups, and family GM cars. I have had many years to obtain my experienced opinion.

Nothing wrong with liking something, but you sir seem to be a troll with your apparent very small bin of knowledge about anything.

Joined in 2013, first Vette a C7, and anyone believes you have experience with anything GM? You said it first. Hilarious and quite pathetic we should believe you.
Yes the only GM car I ever had is my new Stingray. Here in Europe "we" kinda stick to "Euro" brands which frankly is wrong. You apparently know nothing of the legendary non-existant reliability of the BMW/Merc/VW camp these days. I'd rather be found dead in a Caddy that sucks "some serious windage" than have to deal with a BMW that spends a week in the shop being repaired just so it can "die" 15 min after you have picked it up... And not to mention that this is the alleged brand new car you get after you spent months in court suing BMW hoping that they will actually buy their piece of scrap metal lemon back.

Anyways I see you even went so far as to put words in my mouth. I never claimed to have any experience with any GM product. Well I might just have had a lot of experience too if owning multiple SAABs while they were owned by GM counts as anything. They are and probably will be the most damn reliable cars I will ever own in my life. Too bad they are just a shadow of what they once were. Too bad..
Old 08-16-2014, 12:49 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

With the exception of the C7 and the Z28 NONE of those cars are doing very well in comparison to the competition. Cadillac is sucking serious windage. New truck is out less than a year and they are having trouble giving them away with their 60 month financing. Cruze? You have to be kidding.
Sales figures alone? Is THAT the only way you measure whether a vehicle is good or worthy of your business or not?
Based on that "logic", perhaps you might be happier in a Toyota Camry instead of a Corvette?

Perhaps you missed the part where the GM truck won 'North American Truck of the Year'?
Of course the Cruze is cheap, that's the point. It's a hell of a lot of economy car for the money though, very roomy inside for a small car and up to 45mpg (I know people that have gotten that) is no joke either.
I'm talking simply about good cars, performance, value. If we all relied solely on sales numbers alone to determine whether a car is good or not we'd all still be driving Model Ts.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:23 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Sales figures alone? Is THAT the only way you measure whether a vehicle is good or worthy of your business or not?
Based on that "logic", perhaps you might be happier in a Toyota Camry instead of a Corvette?

Perhaps you missed the part where the GM truck won 'North American Truck of the Year'?
Of course the Cruze is cheap, that's the point. It's a hell of a lot of economy car for the money though, very roomy inside for a small car and up to 45mpg (I know people that have gotten that) is no joke either.
I'm talking simply about good cars, performance, value. If we all relied solely on sales numbers alone to determine whether a car is good or not we'd all still be driving Model Ts.
Obviously you can't read. Truck of the Year was handled with immediate recalls just weeks after the magazines published Truck of the Year. Solely by chance when Obama still owned GM eh? Not a chance. 20 million recalls. If it were not GM, you fanboys would be never ending in your assault on that manufacturer.

GM cars will never approach Toyota sales. Not even comparable.

The C7 has nothing to do with Camry. Where did you come up with that one?

Resale and depreciation? No comparison. GM loses big. Year over year, GM cars get trounced. Please explain. If you buy a Cruze you better plan on keeping it forever or you will lose huge trading it in.

Strongest domestic brand was the one that learned by not being rescued the first and second times.

72 months now free financing on trucks. Must be selling real good no? Get real.

Last edited by 02HREBlue; 08-16-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:32 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lavender
Yes the only GM car I ever had is my new Stingray. Here in Europe "we" kinda stick to "Euro" brands which frankly is wrong. You apparently know nothing of the legendary non-existant reliability of the BMW/Merc/VW camp these days. I'd rather be found dead in a Caddy that sucks "some serious windage" than have to deal with a BMW that spends a week in the shop being repaired just so it can "die" 15 min after you have picked it up... And not to mention that this is the alleged brand new car you get after you spent months in court suing BMW hoping that they will actually buy their piece of scrap metal lemon back.

Anyways I see you even went so far as to put words in my mouth. I never claimed to have any experience with any GM product. Well I might just have had a lot of experience too if owning multiple SAABs while they were owned by GM counts as anything. They are and probably will be the most damn reliable cars I will ever own in my life. Too bad they are just a shadow of what they once were. Too bad..

Sold my 2007 335i first year production car. Simply the best car I ever had hands down. Never in the shop except for a seat track malfunction which was my fault for ruining. 4 of my partners had the same car and never had any problems, two are still driving them out of warranty and are giddy with them. ALL maintenance included, brakes too. Simply a great everyday car. Still miss it. Still have quite a ways to make 20 million recalls with 10 years of lies and deception.

2 years now with an Ecoboost 150. Hands down best truck ever. Never in the shop either. The real deal. Thats why Ford trucks rule sales each year. Only get better.

New Escalade? Body cladding falling off the car at 10 month old. Failed to start stranding me at work twice in 2 months. Terrible steering. Great power but awful AWD. No comparison to previous Landcruisers X2.

GM will continue to struggle. The competition is intense and ever changing and evolving. They will have their hands full.

I like cars, whoever makes them, not a brand loyalist at all. That makes one blind to the facts.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:50 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,959 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Sounds like you had some crappy luck....I can't say I've had the issues you ve had. Gm products over the past 35 years have been superior products to the wide range of various brands I've owned...

We all reach back to our experiences. I would nt call brand preference blindness because we all don't share your perspective.

We simply did not have your negative experiences.,,,

It's a shame you sold your first year BMW. Buy another one. I hear they are the ultimate driving machines, ,

Best of luck

Sold my 2007 335i first year production car. Simply the best car I ever had hands down. Never in the shop except for a seat track malfunction which was my fault for ruining. 4 of my partners had the same car and never had any problems, two are still driving them out of warranty and are giddy with them. ALL maintenance included, brakes too. Simply a great everyday car. Still miss it. Still have quite a ways to make 20 million recalls with 10 years of lies and deception.

2 years now with an Ecoboost 150. Hands down best truck ever. Never in the shop either. The real deal. Thats why Ford trucks rule sales each year. Only get better.

New Escalade? Body cladding falling off the car at 10 month old. Failed to start stranding me at work twice in 2 months. Terrible steering. Great power but awful AWD. No comparison to previous Landcruisers X2.

GM will continue to struggle. The competition is intense and ever changing and evolving. They will have their hands full.

I like cars, whoever makes them, not a brand loyalist at all. That makes one blind to the facts.

Last edited by JerriVette; 08-16-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:16 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jerri----but what I meant was brand loyalty vs brand preference. Vastly different things. I believe loyalty to a fault makes one often unable to accept true brand problems as factual. Thats all I am saying.

Cars to me are usable art. I either like them or I don't. Don't like every Rembrandt because it is so. Still has to look good!

Cheers
Old 08-16-2014, 11:09 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 395 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
Yes, lets hope that GM has the correct numbers as it was updated as of Wednesday, Aug 13th.
We should find out more in the next few weeks as ordering info comes out with pricing.
From the Tremec website:
http://www.tremec.com/anexos/File/TREMEC_TR-6070(2).pdf

Page 2 has this info:

TREMEC TR-6070 Transmission Specifications
Type: Rear wheel drive, seven-speed manual overdrive transmission
Maximum gross vehicle weight:* 2,400 kg (5,291 lb) *For reference only. Not applicable to a specific application
Case: Die-cast aluminum alloy
Center distance: 85 mm
Overall length: 782 mm
Clutch housing: Integrated
Synchronizer type: Double and triple cone; hybrid friction material
Lubricant type: Dexron III ATF
Lubricant capacity (approximate): 3.5 L (7.4 pt)
Transmission weight: Wet: 65.2 kg (143.75 lb)
Power take off: No

Available Gear Ratios
(Alternative ratios available upon request; may result in different maximum input torque.)
Gear................A................B................C
..R................2.85............2.53............2.70
Input..........625 Nm........740 Nm........860 Nm
Torque:......460 lb-ft.......545 lb-ft.......635 lb-ft

If you look at the chart, you can see my reason for being skeptical of the 2.97 1st gear transmission for the Z06...the torque capacity is way too low. Transmission "C" is more likely to be the Z06 transmission and from a road course performance standpoint, it needs to be transmission "C". Look at the percent RPM drop on the transmission "A" 3rd-4th shift...43%! Transmission "C" has a 21% RPM drop on the 3rd-4th shift. The GM Media website has been known to have incorrect info before because it's run by media types, not engineers. When the C6 Z06 was introduced, the GM Media website said the pistons were forged, they're cast hypereutectic...that's a pretty big miss.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:15 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The C7 has nothing to do with Camry. Where did you come up with that one?
Because in YOUR mind, using YOUR "logic" ONLY cars that sell well can be good cars.
There are more Camrys sold per year than Corvettes so Camrys must be far better cars in EVERY test category, right?

Resale and depreciation? No comparison. GM loses big. Year over year, GM cars get trounced. Please explain. If you buy a Cruze you better plan on keeping it forever or you will lose huge trading it in.
Yeah? Ask the buyers of any 7 series BMW sold from roughly 2000-2010 (or even some Porsche Cayennes) about resale/depreciation.
I'd take a $10k hit on an $18k car over a $50k hit on a $90k car all day long. Even the $20k hit some take on their Corvettes looks good next to THAT kind of depreciation.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:06 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,959 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Thanks Jerri----but what I meant was brand loyalty vs brand preference. Vastly different things. I believe loyalty to a fault makes one often unable to accept true brand problems as factual. Thats all I am saying.

Cars to me are usable art. I either like them or I don't. Don't like every Rembrandt because it is so. Still has to look good!

Cheers
Your perception of brand loyalty and or brand preference creating blindness is the misconception.

Most corvette enthusiasts see both the attributes and faults of corvettes and make the conscious decision that the pros outweigh the cons...

That's not blindness from brand loyalty but rather brand preference.

I look forward to the actual reported performance of the A8 Z06 in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:35 AM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Because in YOUR mind, using YOUR "logic" ONLY cars that sell well can be good cars.
There are more Camrys sold per year than Corvettes so Camrys must be far better cars in EVERY test category, right?

Yeah? Ask the buyers of any 7 series BMW sold from roughly 2000-2010 (or even some Porsche Cayennes) about resale/depreciation.
I'd take a $10k hit on an $18k car over a $50k hit on a $90k car all day long. Even the $20k hit some take on their Corvettes looks good next to THAT kind of depreciation.
Wow---I have no where to go with that because I simply do not understand any point your are making comparing different kinds of cars in different price ranges and all that. Thats out there!

All upper end German cars have massive depreciation in 4-5 years across all their brands---yet they sell very well here so again what is the point you are trying to make?

Nearly everyone knows that except you apparently.

Majority of people with these upper end cars are not buying them, but are leasing them, as well as writing them off for business etc, so it makes little difference to them. Leases far exceed outright purchases in this price range, opposite of what happens with the Vette.

Don't get so easily bent out of shape and take it personally if someone disagrees with you guy

Last edited by 02HREBlue; 08-17-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:42 AM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Your perception of brand loyalty and or brand preference creating blindness is the misconception.

Most corvette enthusiasts see both the attributes and faults of corvettes and make the conscious decision that the pros outweigh the cons...

That's not blindness from brand loyalty but rather brand preference.

I look forward to the actual reported performance of the A8 Z06 in a couple of weeks.

You are definitely correct about pros vs cons and such because of the price point of entry of the Corvette. Makes it attractive. Many people with means will still like Corvettes and may have them, but move beyond that price point because its not as much a concern and they see beyond the bargain price and want more. I have seen it happen hundreds of times, and very few are sorry they did. True enthusiasts will often also have a new Vette but something else also.

Also, there are just so damn many of them and most people simply can't tell one Vette model subtype from another. Same reason why Vette owners don't stop at Camaro price point and such. They simply want more-whether that makes dollars and sense that is what often happens.

Last edited by 02HREBlue; 08-17-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:55 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 395 Likes on 189 Posts

Lame. Fiberglass transverse leafs have been out for years.
They certainly use them on their race cars because they are so good correct?
Not true independent suspension if the back end is not independent. Ever hit a big bump going
around a high speed corner in the Vette? If you have you will understand.
Best mod I ever made was putting coil overs on my Vette. Worlds better handling and ride.
No comparison
Composite leaf springs are more expensive than coil springs...why doesn't GM use coil overs for production cars??? GM uses composite leaf springs on production cars because they are the best for performance while retaining a good ride. Coil overs are used in racing because they are cheaper, easy to change, and they don't care about ride.

The way transverse composite leaf springs are mounted causes the middle part of the spring to bend into an "S" shape to reduce roll while cornering, it allows GM to increase roll stiffness without having to increase spring rate. If you think this inherent design advantage makes the rear AND the front not independent, then I guess you're running without a stabilizer bar because a stabilizer bar connects each side of the car. If you still have your stabilizer bars connected, you don't have "true" independent suspension either.

When the composite leaf spring is replaced by coil overs, that takes away the roll stiffness added by the dual mount. You either have to go with a higher spring rate on the coil springs to regain the handling at the cost of a stiffer ride or retain the stock spring rate for the factory ride at the cost of worse handling. You don't get better handling AND a better ride unless your shocks are set up super soft...then you better avoid big potholes or you'll find your upper shock mount sticking through the hood.

If you like your coil overs, that's a great thing and I'm happy for you. Too many people end up selling them because nobody told them the car would ride like an empty dump truck. Yes, it handles better on the track but you can accomplish the same thing or better with a set of T1 springs/bars and good shocks. Coil overs are not the best solution for the street when compared to composite leaf springs which is how GM justifies the extra cost. If you know more than the GM engineers, I'm sure they would welcome your input.

Quick Reply: Order a Manual or Automatic ZO6?