C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tune and GM warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:24 AM
BaDiNfLuEnCe706
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only time will tell guys.. It only has been a week.. Sorry but someone has to be the guinea pig
Old 12-10-2014, 09:24 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I am going to state what is no doubt unpopular but ought to be obvious.

GM tuned it the way it did for a reason. I've spent extended time with GM engineers. Been to Milford. Wixom. They have a large staff of talented engineers. Diverse and expensive test gear. Many man- years of design and testing. Multiple engines go probably millions of miles on dyno and in test cars.

One purpose is to build an engine that can safely go 100,000 miles without failure.

Do you think the aftermarket tuners can develop parts and engine calibrations in a few weeks with their staff and resources can match that kid of durability?

You have 2 choices. Leave it stock and enjoy the GM warranty or tune it and have no warranty.

And I'll also say it just increases the cost of the car for those who try to game the system and make warranty claims. Frankly pisses me off to see folks who want to mod their car and then want it fixed for free if it breaks.

And for the road course guys I can guarantee most of you don't need any more power. For example, at MSR I can break 1:20 in a stock C6Z06 with tires and brake pads only. No tune. No "heads & cam." No headers. Cup cars with maybe 400 rwhp go 1:13.

Finally, if tunes are so safe, ask the tuners to step up and give you a Powertrain warranty.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

kverges,

You have 2 choices. Leave it stock and enjoy the GM warranty or tune it and have no warranty.
3. Or just don't buy the damn thing.
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting, all this is about how to get around what a manufacturer put in place so that they can run a profitable business and maintain a sound product in order to support the customers that wants to have fun with the product and not abuse it.

First of all if you are going to TRACK the car, take responsibility for TRACKING the car. just like most life insurance and auto insurance policy it does not cover racing a car on a track. If you crash your car or kill yourself and they know this, they don't pay !! second of all this is a street car with a warranty from the manufacturer. THIS IS TO COVER MANUFACTURER DEFECT IN THE PRODUCT...the word being defect. If they put a tune on the car so that they can issue a 100k warranty then they are protecting their financial outlay, like insurance. IF you choose to alter the product to suite your own want to TRACK or to DRAG or to jump off a cliff, why do you feel they are responsible for it ???? IF you were running a business, would you want your customer to come in with altered prodcut and expect for you to pay to fix it. REALLY you pay for someone to ALTER YOUR product break it and fix it for free.....WTF talk about self centered...If you want to track the car man up and track it and pay for it if you crash it, if you break it. and everyone around here bashing the car for a conservative tune and this and that crap...MAN the F up and deal with the consequences of your own actions. You want to race it it's on you, pay for it and stop whining like a bunch of fairies. If you want to play speed racer, then open up the wallet and pay for it not trying to sneak one around GM....WTF just like you street race to 150 on public streets, do you think some mini van may pull out in front of you and a family can be in there with small children and you might kill that family...really you are more concern about the hear from the suprer charger and the tune from GM and How that affect your warranty ? REALLY that's you F**ing concern, how about the lives of someones daughter or son or wife or mother...what the hell is wrong with you people.
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges

GM tuned it the way it did for a reason. I've spent extended time with GM engineers. Been to Milford. Wixom. They have a large staff of talented engineers. Diverse and expensive test gear. Many man- years of design and testing. Multiple engines go probably millions of miles on dyno and in test cars.

One purpose is to build an engine that can safely go 100,000 miles without failure.

Do you think the aftermarket tuners can develop parts and engine calibrations in a few weeks with their staff and resources can match that kid of durability?

And I'll also say it just increases the cost of the car for those who try to game the system and make warranty claims. Frankly pisses me off to see folks who want to mod their car and then want it fixed for free if it breaks.

And for the road course guys I can guarantee most of you don't need any more power. For example, at MSR I can break 1:20 in a stock C6Z06 with tires and brake pads only. No tune. No "heads & cam." No headers. Cup cars with maybe 400 rwhp go 1:13.

Finally, if tunes are so safe, ask the tuners to step up and give you a Powertrain warranty.
Good Point ... We all like to dream though and have our cake and eat it too...
Old 12-10-2014, 09:32 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
The act isn't nearly as easy as the aftermarket and the Internet would have you believe. GM's stance is since they can't validate and certify the tune your power train warranty is null and void with an aftermarket tune OR any evident that there was, at any point in time, an aftermarket tune in the car. This has been upheld in court and arbitration.

You tune the car, you lose your warranty, it's that plain and simple......
Exactly! M-M is not some magic bullet. It was put into place to prevent manufacturers from forcing you to use their brand of filters, spark plugs, etc. as long as the aftermarket parts meet the performance requirements and specifications of the original part. This fits perfectly with the long-standing anti-monopoly philosophy of U.S. business regulation and was put into place in the same era when franchisors were prohibited from forcing franchisees to buy supplies only from the franchisor and this was the regulatory philosophy of the era.

M-M also paved the way for insurance companies to use aftermarket body parts for collision repair.

As to tunes and other powertrain modifications M-M doesn't allow the manufacturer to negate the entire vehicle warranty because of such mods but it certainly allows the manufacturer to void the warranty on all powertrain related parts and systems. So if you go to your favorite tuner and a week later your fuel tank springs a leak you are covered but if you send a rod through the block, burn up a clutch pack in the auto transmission, or send pieces of differential flying across the drag strip burn out area the repair is on you. And this is only simple logic, why would anyone expect a manufacturer warranty to apply when the components are now being exposed to forces and stresses far outside of their design intent? Component parts are generally specified to withstand conditions somewhat outside the norm in order to provide the final desired probability of failure distribution within the warranty period and expected service life of the vehicle so in most cases in the majority of vehicles they can be operated outside of normal specs for at least a short period of time without failure but once you make that jump you are now playing Vegas gambler with your warranty.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Foxer55
Drifting

jdmdohcpower,

What should I do here guys. I'm a bit blinded by my pure desire for the car. However the main reason I'm buying the car is to track it a bit and still have warranty. The car is ready to go but I'm not sure I am. I don't think I wpuld be ok with power losing and know the car has so much more to offer, but not without a tune. Should I walk or roll the dice in hopes there will be a common ground in the near future?? Damn it
Take it back for a refund.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:36 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges

It is amazing the amount of effort people will go through to commit fraud if they tune their car and try to "hide" it to make warranty claims.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:42 AM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

It's simply principal for me the car was advertised and marketed to be a car you could take to the track and it would perform under these conditions as it described now we're seeing that's not to be the case and it simply principal if the car performed consistently I have no desire to tune it it's already too fast in my opinion. Maybe I'm not fully understanding what happening here is the car pulling enough timing to make a noticeable difference in performance thus not doing what it supposed to be able to do consistently or is it something so miniscule that I may not even notice? I don't street race that's why I'm so concerned about how consistent the car will be on the track. And why would I not be able to track the car on high-performance driving events under warranty isn't that the whole beauty of this damn thing? It's not about beating the system rather than feeling like I've been beat by the system. Just want as much info as I can get before I make the decision. It has nothing to do with the Viper or anything like that I could care less it's simply the fact that I want to make sure the car does what I expect to do and my expectations are not far-fetched. If I'm mistaken in the car is consistent I have no reason to tune it. I understand there will always be faster car than that doesn't bother me one bit I just wanted to do what it supposed to be able to do without restriction

Last edited by jdmdohcpower; 12-10-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:51 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i hate to burst everyones bubble who wants a tune, but you should all keep in mind there is a reason why GM offers in car wifi on all the new models.
how hard do you think it is for them to know if you got a reflash when your cars electronics are connected via wifi to the internet?
one of the benefits of having internet connectivity in the car is that GM can send updates to the vehicle and also monitor the electronics remotely.
so if you have a re-flash then tune it back to stock for warranty work it may already be a little late.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:15 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

The car is great as is. Just enjoy it or accept the risk if you want it to be "better." You won't notice any alleged lack of power I suspect.

My only qualification is overheating in stock configuration on track and driven hard by a good driver. If it easily overheats then I'd be looking at GM and saying WTF? But this remains to be seen.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
track it the way it is now. no one really knows the answer til we start getting some cars in the hands of private people to see how they hold up to track duty then decide. or Wait and see if ya can order once some had had them in posession a while and the reviews come in.

If ya dont tune it, it will be under warranty so dont let any postings take the wind out of your sails about getting the car.

Based on 3 reports of something (none of which are clear) it is impossible to draw any conclusions as to whether there is any problem at all. At this time there is a lot of mist but nothing close to a burning ember yet.

As for the warranty being voided. If you tune the car more than likely nobody will ever check for minor drive train issues (ie, replacing rear axle shafts/hubs that are worn and loose, water pumps, bad lifters, rockers, etc) However, if you need a major repair such as repairing/replacing a blown engine, blown apart diff or tranny the dealer has to check with GM before proceeding with the repair and that is when the tune will be checked. The tune won't affect the warranty coverage of parts not associated with the drive train. I wouldn't count on being able to reload the stock tune without GM knowing about it. It is very easy to design the ECM software so it tracks how many times the tune tables are touched. That software wouldn't be available to tuners since they can only access the tables and don't have the software coding skills or equipment to access/modify the software.

Bill
Old 12-10-2014, 10:38 AM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

just remember its a street car not a race car....if you tune it you void the warranty per warranty agreement. If you take it on and expect GM to cover your toy, you are silly at best and at worst committing fraud.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:44 AM
Foxer55
Drifting

jdmdohcpower,

It's simply principal for me the car was advertised and marketed to be a car you could take to the track and it would perform under these conditions as it described now we're seeing that's not to be the case and it simply principal if the car performed consistently I have no desire to tune it it's already too fast in my opinion. Maybe I'm not fully understanding what happening here is the car pulling enough timing to make a noticeable difference in performance thus not doing what it supposed to be able to do consistently or is it something so miniscule that I may not even notice? I don't street race that's why I'm so concerned about how consistent the car will be on the track. And why would I not be able to track the car on high-performance driving events under warranty isn't that the whole beauty of this damn thing? It's not about beating the system rather than feeling like I've been beat by the system. Just want as much info as I can get before I make the decision. It has nothing to do with the Viper or anything like that I could care less it's simply the fact that I want to make sure the car does what I expect to do and my expectations are not far-fetched. If I'm mistaken in the car is consistent I have no reason to tune it. I understand there will always be faster car than that doesn't bother me one bit I just wanted to do what it supposed to be able to do without restriction
Hooray! You get it! You have condensed every concern into this one post. Now, let's see how many people here prove to you they don't get it.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Foxer55
Drifting

racezx9,

just remember its a street car not a race car....if you tune it you void the warranty per warranty agreement. If you take it on and expect GM to cover your toy, you are silly at best and at worst committing fraud.
Uhm...its a Corvette. It is a race car. Look at the GM advertising...0-60 in 3 seconds whatever that means at this point, and who the hell cares anyway?). Look at ALL those videos with the car flying around the track. It must have taken them a long tie to put those videos together given the car can only do so much track time.

I agree with your fraud remarks (and, oh, BTW, that relates to track insurance or the lack of as well).

But I disagree its a street car. A street car is my Impala. This car was promoted by GM as a high performance vehicle which it seems not to be. And shame on us for believing GM. Its a fancy, expensive, hi-tech ensemble masquerading as a race car.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxer55
racezx9,

Uhm...its a Corvette. It is a race car. Look at the GM advertising...0-60 in 3 seconds whatever that means at this point, and who the hell cares anyway?). Look at ALL those videos with the car flying around the track. It must have taken them a long tie to put those videos together given the car can only do so much track time.

I agree with your fraud remarks (and, oh, BTW, that relates to track insurance or the lack of as well).

But I disagree its a street car. A street car is my Impala. This car was promoted by GM as a high performance vehicle which it seems not to be. And shame on us for believing GM. Its a fancy, expensive, hi-tech ensemble masquerading as a race car.
A Corvette is not a race car, it's a sports car. Just like I am not a professional football player just because I can kick the ball through the uprights.

And on the other hand, if you test the acceleration of your Impala against another car or against the clock, your Impala is now a race car.

You can't define an object based on marketing puffery. If Apple advertised the iphone as a great object for playing catch does that make it a ball? No....

As delivered from GM, the Corvette is not a race car, it is not race ready.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:07 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I don't understand the thinking of people here.

LEAVE THE CAR ALONE AND ITS UNDER WARRANTY. Is this so hard to understand? You don't NEED a tune, the car IS tuned for you already. Milner made it around Road Atlanta in 1:29...and guess what, NO AFTERMARKET TUNE....how'd he do that??? If you go to Road Atlanta and run a 1:29, then I guess you've extracted just about all you can get...then maybe you'd like to mod...til then, I'm thinkin you don't.

Get notified of new replies

To Tune and GM warranty

Old 12-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I don't understand the thinking of people here.

LEAVE THE CAR ALONE AND ITS UNDER WARRANTY. Is this so hard to understand? You don't NEED a tune, the car IS tuned for you already. Milner made it around Road Atlanta in 1:29...and guess what, NO AFTERMARKET TUNE....how'd he do that??? If you go to Road Atlanta and run a 1:29, then I guess you've extracted just about all you can get...then maybe you'd like to mod...til then, I'm thinkin you don't.
So you're in charge of what people do for fun?
Old 12-10-2014, 12:31 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Foxer55
racezx9,

it is a street car in all legal sense Period, try to take a C7R on the street and see how far you get !!! it has to meet safety, environmental requirements across the WORLD. it had to have creature comforts, such as 2 seats for large and regular asses, it has air conditioning to keep the people from sweating in the heat with the top down. IT IS A street car. It has performance that is close to a race car, that why I/ we buy it to full fill our Walter Mitty moments.....it is not a race car by any stretch of imagination, go sit in a race car and drive it and then come back and tell me its a race car. By the way if you can take this car and match Milner's time at Road Atlanta, then I will bow to you and call you Jesus the savior, but until then you are a poser.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdmdohcpower
Still no real answer to my question. I understand the above statements but again, it is the dealer who makes this call if he finds a tune or is the info sent to GM automatically? Can the dealer choose to look the other way if he wanted?
If a dealer was to get caught billing GM for drivetrain warranty work on a car the dealer knew was not running a factory tune...... they would be in very serious trouble

Quick Reply: Tune and GM warranty