C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Took A8 Z06 to dragstrip tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 09:22 PM
ALLANB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember a tenth or two mph and same on mph can be found with maybe a lighter driver and less fuel in the car. Every hundred pounds is roughly a tenth and a mph.
So that can make some variance right there. But those naysayers sure have gotten very silent all of a sudden.. LOL
Old 02-21-2015, 09:30 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by ALLANB
But those naysayers sure have gotten very silent all of a sudden.. LOL
The same thing happened with the C7 after we started running them.

The same thing will happen here too.
S.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:35 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

awesome
Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

while i appreciate how fast it is, i don't get the allure of drag racing an auto

the fun of drag racing to me is how fast you as the driver can do it.

taking a car you can give to a 16yo girl where she can run 10's just doesn't seem impressive
Old 02-21-2015, 09:41 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
Half second at MIR , Atco or cecil with a 1.4x 60ft will translate to 10.3-.4's so yes there will be a better time. It will happen.
Speaking of, when does anyone want to go to Cecil or Atco or Rrrrrace wayyy park with me?
Old 02-21-2015, 09:45 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by harlold
while i appreciate how fast it is, i don't get the allure of drag racing an auto

taking a car you can give to a 16yo girl where she can run 10's just doesn't seem impressive
While I am very impressed with the time I do agree with you. Then again I feel that way about an automatic for any reason at all. But that's just me. Obviously the launch is still a pain (harder possibly?) but I agree there's such a fitness and skill to knocking off perfect near instantaneous shifts in a manual car. It's my favorite part of drag racing. Then there are those who will do whatever it takes to get a click faster on the clock. Options are nice to have.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:02 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 465 Posts

The auto's has a manual/paddle shift just no clutch. Maybe it's just me.....I don't get it. I really enjoy watching M7/M6 at the drag strip.... hats off to the driver, but it's just not for me especially as a daily driver.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:03 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Does that include when you have the winning, or losing time slip?
Old 02-21-2015, 10:09 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Snorman
The same thing happened with the C7 after we started running them.

The same thing will happen here too.
S.
And believe it or not it took some skills to accomplish those low ET's......just a little easier than the M7's. In other words, You still have to find the sweet spot on the A8's if you are after the best ET. You are looking for the best 60' on both manual and auto. And if you don't have skills it is indeed a skillful task. Having said that, I believe Jason427 will do even better.....how much better who knows.

Last edited by Fore58; 02-21-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:21 PM
VinnieA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phantasms
Speaking of, when does anyone want to go to Cecil or Atco or Rrrrrace wayyy park with me?
I'm in when ever. Been thinking of getting a rental together at Atco towards end of March or April....
Old 02-21-2015, 10:49 PM
PushNut
Instructor

Default What time does

the Hellcat run when equipped with drag radials...
Old 02-21-2015, 11:02 PM
VinnieA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PushNut
the Hellcat run when equipped with drag radials...
I saw an A8 hell car with drag radials run a 10:86 at PBIR when I was there. I think a few have gone faster tho...
Old 02-21-2015, 11:32 PM
PushNut
Instructor

Default So

Originally Posted by VinnieA
I saw an A8 hell car with drag radials run a 10:86 at PBIR when I was there. I think a few have gone faster tho...
surely the lighter car with similar power will go faster!
I can`t wait for more times to come in...
Old 02-22-2015, 12:30 AM
cars
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

f1 drivers don't drive manual either do any of the top motorsports competition. Having spoke to a guy that won the Million dollar drag race. He statement was most of the people in the competition are playing checkers except a few are playing chase.

Most of us go drag for fun but while at that event, a normal competitor (guy playing chase) was asked what he will run. He says based on today's condition it will run a 5.90 in the 1/8th. Next pass he ran 5.900.

if your fun is rolling through gears at drag strip and get smoked that is your preference. I rather have the easiest car to drive and smoke people. I am sure jason427 has had many autos and manuals.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:24 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cars
f1 drivers don't drive manual either do any of the top motorsports competition. Having spoke to a guy that won the Million dollar drag race. He statement was most of the people in the competition are playing checkers except a few are playing chase.

Most of us go drag for fun but while at that event, a normal competitor (guy playing chase) was asked what he will run. He says based on today's condition it will run a 5.90 in the 1/8th. Next pass he ran 5.900.

if your fun is rolling through gears at drag strip and get smoked that is your preference. I rather have the easiest car to drive and smoke people. I am sure jason427 has had many autos and manuals.
You aren't comparing like things.

Driving a stock auto car on a 1/4 mile drag strip has nothing to do with the skill required to go around a track. Or the difference in running a custom built car that runs 5's.

Running a stock auto on a drag strip requires virtually no skill other than knowing how to mash the gas. Sorry, not impressive to me.

Building your own car that runs sub 10's, even if it is an auto? thats impressive.

Doesn't mean it isn't an impressively fast time for the Z06, just not impressed anyone can do it - I don't see the fun in it.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:55 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by cars

Because production vehicle equals top competition.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Manuals are great fun on a track day when you're out there alone working hard to get that one in ten great pass, but if you're actually racing someone you need consistency. Autos are much more consistent allowing the driver to concentrate on the reaction time. In the end, you could have two cars that run about equal best times, but the auto will win many more races. Beating the car next to you is what drag racing is really about, not getting a good ET to post on the web.

Get notified of new replies

To Took A8 Z06 to dragstrip tonight.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:30 AM
ALLANB
Pro

Sorry to repeat this question think it was asked already in this thread but do the auto cars have launch control?
Old 02-22-2015, 10:40 AM
ALLANB
Pro

Would like to say that while manuals can be fun to drag race and with my fourth generation cars and maybe most cars manuals usually give the higher mph due to lower drivetrain losses there are so many things that can and do go wrong at drag track with a manual versus an auto.
You can short shift,,slow shift, miss a shift, hit the limiter. In some cars you can easily hit the wrong gear. Some cars are balky at going into gear at high rpm and some manual trans will start having problems with forks ,synchros when you start hammering on them .Also clutches can take a real beating if you are slipping them to try to get the best 60ft.
Now you can also manually shift autos sometimes with good results.
In my older cars like my second generation f bodies manually shifting the auto made a huge difference in et. But with the newer computer controlled autos not as much.
And there are still things for a driver to do even with an auto . You still can play with launch rpm which can vary quite a bit depending on track conditions . And can play also with launch technique do you flash the converter, do you brake torque it up there?

Also you can chop off big amounts of time like .5 seconds or more by going to different stall converter . Higher stall or smaller diameter . Sure will see some huge improvements in time when people put stalls in the new z06 cars.
If a guy is serious about winning drag racing then an auto does make things a lot easier. But agree on the road a manual can be more fun but nowadays don't really need a clutch to have manual gear selection obviously.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:05 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

A 16 year girl running 10's would impress me with both manual or auto......but more with the manual. Bottom line is that the auto's are more consistent at the drag track. You still have to figure out how to get the best ET on both. The last time I was at the track with my C7 auto I was .6 faster than a guy that had the exact same car. Just something he had to figure out. So it was more to it in just mashing on the gas in order for him to better his ET. So is more like distributing the proper technique as oppose to having skills.

Last edited by Fore58; 02-22-2015 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Took A8 Z06 to dragstrip tonight.