C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Took A8 Z06 to dragstrip tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:11 AM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jason427
Agree to this here...
Im not done with the car in stock form, however weather may say otherwise. I will give it the boy-scout try at the rental next Friday!

I did however get as fast as I think anyone could get in a ZR1 at Orlando Speedworld. 10.69@130 w/hoosiers. (and that car had 300 miles on it also)

Jason

Jason sent you a pm with regard to your drag radials .
Old 02-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ALLANB
Remember a tenth or two mph and same on mph can be found with maybe a lighter driver and less fuel in the car. Every hundred pounds is roughly a tenth and a mph.
So that can make some variance right there. But those naysayers sure have gotten very silent all of a sudden.. LOL

So then if that 16 year old girl referred to in post #244 only weighed 110 lbs, versus a man who weighs 200 lbs, and I thought I read somewhere OP weighs 200 lbs, then that 16 year old girl should be able to stick the shifter in drive, stab the pedal, and click off a 9.9x et.

I don't know about you guys but I think that is pretty darn impressive, a bone stock (with drag radials) brand new car that can be daily driven that rips off high 9s in the 1/4 mile!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 02-23-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:43 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,223 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
The same thing happened with the C7 after we started running them.

The same thing will happen here too.
S.
Aw come on Shaun, the only thing the same is the incessant whining about any mention of anything that the Stingray didn't beat...

The only reason its more quiet now is those threads get carted off to another section or killed altogether....

Good luck with your new car though...I'm sure you'll love it.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 02-22-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:19 PM
jason427
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hardhattg
Jason sent you a pm with regard to your drag radials .
I sent you an email
Old 02-22-2015, 12:23 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Fore58
And believe it or not it took some skills to accomplish those low ET's......just a little easier than the M7's. In other words, You still have to find the sweet spot on the A8's if you are after the best ET. You are looking for the best 60' on both manual and auto. And if you don't have skills it is indeed a skillful task. Having said that, I believe Jason427 will do even better.....how much better who knows.
Oh my yes mad skills in an Auto. More like a 16 yr old with 1 lesson doing it second try!
Old 02-22-2015, 12:37 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

It's a shame that this thread titled 'Took A8 Z06 to Dragstrip tonight', had the trolls invade it with off topic pissing contest manual vs. auto.

Within the past 2 years I've driven the quarter in both manual and auto. Each has it's own story of how to race. This being said, the only thing that matters to me is the best time slip I can get and kicking the *** of the guy who lined up against me.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:38 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 463 Likes on 260 Posts

Running a stock auto on a drag strip requires virtually no skill other than knowing how to mash the gas. Sorry, not impressive to me.
You've obviously never launched a "non DR true street tire" car with 650 HP off the line or you wouldn't have made this comment......I would agree with a super sticky tire that there's not much more than mash the pedal but this is far from the case with non drag radials!
Old 02-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Wow OP very nicely done. So the newest zo6 isn't slow, shocker! As if any car running low 11's and in the 10's is slow anyway. Then its highly capable of turning high Gs on the curvy track too, win win.

Oh but wait, as always gatta slide the ZR1 in there in a few comments and point out how an auto at the quarter mile is pointless in another. ZR1 an awesome ride, so is the new ZO6 deal with it and lets all get along.

I'm getting me one of these slow turds in a year when some little gremlins are worked out, which they will be. I do wish the car was a bit less lbs, but supercharged, its still crazy fast and all around capable of scaring a passenger silly.

To those of you hanging it out there and driving these cars hard and posting results and concerns, Thanks from a future owner!

Pat
Old 02-22-2015, 02:41 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 615 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT
It's a shame that this thread titled 'Took A8 Z06 to Dragstrip tonight', had the trolls invade it with off topic pissing contest manual vs. auto.

Within the past 2 years I've driven the quarter in both manual and auto. Each has it's own story of how to race. This being said, the only thing that matters to me is the best time slip I can get and kicking the *** of the guy who lined up against me.
Thanks.....and that's what it boils down to, ET. Let's just throw out the skill factor and go with "better driver" for both the manual and the auto. I am actually impressed with the 131.61 trap speed from the A8.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:02 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 615 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Oh my yes mad skills in an Auto. More like a 16 yr old with 1 lesson doing it second try!
Since this was a reply....did I said anything about "mad skills"? And thanks for taking my comment out of context. So to you, that's how easy it is to handle a 10 second auto.....give a 16 year one lesson and she is good to go on the second try. I wonder how many lessons she needs for a manual. Okay, sir.

Last edited by Fore58; 02-22-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:07 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Now this is my kind of guy!

Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT
This is what "bracket racers" do, that's ALL THEY DO!

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 02-22-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:56 PM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really dont understand the need for putting drag radials on this car and take it to the drag strip all the time. Do you guys realize this is a track car? And what I mean by "track" is not a "drag strip", I mean a real track like willow springs or VIR. Jesus, if you guys care so much about straight line speed, you are surely wasting thousands of dollars buying this car. You are much better of buying a 30k car and modding it purely for 1/4 mile.

I'm surprised every other thread on this forum is about 1/4 miles, drag radials, and X seconds and Y miles trap. What a different culture around here.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:54 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
I really dont understand the need for putting drag radials on this car and take it to the drag strip all the time. Do you guys realize this is a track car? And what I mean by "track" is not a "drag strip", I mean a real track like willow springs or VIR. Jesus, if you guys care so much about straight line speed, you are surely wasting thousands of dollars buying this car. You are much better of buying a 30k car and modding it purely for 1/4 mile.

I'm surprised every other thread on this forum is about 1/4 miles, drag radials, and X seconds and Y miles trap. What a different culture around here.
Well, that's your definition, right?

GM lists a 1/4 mile time for the Z06, so they seem to believe it has some importance.

1/4 mile times are a big deal here in America, and have been for decades. Sure, we all wish we could take a $100k car to COTA every weekend and prove our manliness, but for the most of us that's just not practical. Road racing use of any car is VERY destructive and expensive, unlike the occasional quarter mile blast.

99% of ALL performance cars NEVER see a road course, including BMW's, despite their marketing. Just because you buy a performance car, whether a Z06 M3/4/5/6 or GT3, doesn't mean you have to race it on a road course. And since nearly ALL these cars are licensed street vehicles, they really aren't designed to be actual race cars right off the showroom floor.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:07 PM
L Duncan
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Well, that's your definition, right?

GM lists a 1/4 mile time for the Z06, so they seem to believe it has some importance.

1/4 mile times are a big deal here in America, and have been for decades. Sure, we all wish we could take a $100k car to COTA every weekend and prove our manliness, but for the most of us that's just not practical. Road racing use of any car is VERY destructive and expensive, unlike the occasional quarter mile blast.

99% of ALL performance cars NEVER see a road course, including BMW's, despite their marketing. Just because you buy a performance car, whether a Z06 M3/4/5/6 or GT3, doesn't mean you have to race it on a road course. And since nearly ALL these cars are licensed street vehicles, they really aren't designed to be actual race cars right off the showroom floor.
Forget aboutDerFag, he is here to only make trouble. He needs to drive his 325i and get lost.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:33 PM
jason427
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people like to drag race cars. I have owned over 50 cars and Drag raced most of them. I also have been on a Road-course with a new R8V10 as a guest of Audi and it was a blast. However I would not want to tear up personal cars road racing them.

Here is an Idea! MAYBE if you see a thread titled "took my car to the Drag Strip" or something along those lines STAY the F%#@% out of it! Then you won't get annoyed

Jason
Old 02-22-2015, 07:38 PM
L Duncan
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Jason unfortunately your wasting your time with this tool DerStig. He won't leave. I have to give him props for being the most hated person on this forum though.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

[QUOTE=DerStig;1589024553]I really dont understand the need for putting drag radials on this car and take it to the drag strip all the time. Do you guys realize this is a track car? And what I mean by "track" is not a "drag strip", I mean a real track like willow springs or VIR. Jesus, if you guys care so much about straight line speed, you are surely wasting thousands of dollars buying this car. You are much better of buying a 30k car and modding it purely for 1/4 mile.

I'm surprised every other thread on this forum is about 1/4 miles, drag radials, and X seconds and Y miles trap. What a different culture around here.[/QUOTE

No one here cares whether you understand anything.

Get notified of new replies

To Took A8 Z06 to dragstrip tonight.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:58 AM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I really dont understand *snip*
I agree, you really don't understand.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:19 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
You've obviously never launched a "non DR true street tire" car with 650 HP off the line or you wouldn't have made this comment......I would agree with a super sticky tire that there's not much more than mash the pedal but this is far from the case with non drag radials!
And sometimes even WITH drag radials, drag racing an automatic Corvette is NOT as easy as some people think. Easier than a manual every time of course, but definitely not easy ALL of the time.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:53 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Congrats OP and good luck in the future.
As for many other posts, I care not to comment other than there is a great deal of misinformation out there.

Quick Reply: Took A8 Z06 to dragstrip tonight.