C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

How many DD their Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 02:43 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I love this question by the OP, however, only a few people have answered the question. What are the pro's or con's of DD your Z? I plan to do the same thing when mine arrives.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:10 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Lipstic
Yes
Nice picture.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:37 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BradT
I love this question by the OP, however, only a few people have answered the question. What are the pro's or con's of DD your Z? I plan to do the same thing when mine arrives.

pros: you get to enjoy it more
cons: you maybe out a paltry few thousand when you sell it
Old 03-08-2015, 08:34 PM
todm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in San Diego and mine is my daily driver. No issues whatsoever, great car.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:29 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Not me, strictly a fun\weekend car.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 AM
helip1lot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I DD my car and have 5000miles on it now. 2 weeks ago I did a 15 hour straight drive from Key Largo to Alabama stopping only for gas. As far as Pros and Cons there is nothing specific to the Z06 than DDing any performance car.... cost of gas, tires etc.... Oh and mine is a Z07 with competition seats
Old 03-09-2015, 11:42 AM
Lipstic
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16,'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by helip1lot
I DD my car and have 5000miles on it now. 2 weeks ago I did a 15 hour straight drive from Key Largo to Alabama stopping only for gas. As far as Pros and Cons there is nothing specific to the Z06 than DDing any performance car.... cost of gas, tires etc.... Oh and mine is a Z07 with competition seats

Old 03-09-2015, 12:22 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I plan to daily drive my Z06 when I get it with 2 exceptions: snow and days I have to pick up multiple kids.

Advantages: You get to enjoy it while it depreciates.
Disadvantages: It will probably show more signs of use and ...
One I really worry about but it won't stop me, possibility of getting it totaled by some other driver. I recently had a car I bought new (nothing exotic) get totaled by someone who ran a stop sign. I loved that car and wanted another. Turns out they only made 474 of them. Took me a year to find an acceptable one in another state and it's not as nice as the one I had.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:42 PM
G352C6
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I don’t daily mine but don't really see any down side with driving it daily other than gas consumption and more brake/tire/seat wear. Also you may spend more time at the gas station and parking lot chatting with admirers. For a sports car, this is a pretty comfy even with the competition seats.

I will enjoy driving the Z at every opportunity unless it's raining or picking up the kidos. I have a new Mazda 3 (gets me 35 miles per gallon on unleaded) and my wife’s BMW to fall back on.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:59 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

I plan on driving it more often than not, but... Plans change.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:32 PM
rob3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use mine as my DD. Previously had a BMW M6. The ride in the Z06 is at least as comfortable (in tour more) and fine in Sport mode (which I use 90% of the time). I'm in SoCal, so I don't have to deal with cold/snow. Only drawback is the obvious lack of a back seat, but if that is not a problem for you the car is very usable as a DD.

FWIW, I did not get the z07 or stage 2 aero package b/c I knew I'd be using the car as a daily driver. I had concerns that the front splitter would not hold up to daily use too well.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:02 PM
MIS49
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A-Pex
Hey folks!

I'm going to put my order in today, but plan to DD it. I figure if I'm going to move from CO to CA, I might as well drive my favorite car every day.

Anyone else out there driving their Z06 every day?

If so, what are your experiences?

Thanks in advance for your opinions/input!
I intend to DD my Z06 which is being built this week. It will replace my current DD which is the only car built at BG that is not a Corvette (a cadillac XLR- mine is a 2006 limited edition with 74,000 miles on it, which I entered in a car show yesterday to support a charity I like the Wounded Warriors and it got a trophy). My view is you buy a car to enjoy it. Of course I am as OCD as anyone, so it is easy to say enjoy it but it takes effort to do. But you should order your car and if you do not live in a snowy part of the country I think you should drive it and enjoy it.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:16 AM
snsjr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A-Pex
Hey folks!

I'm going to put my order in today, but plan to DD it. I figure if I'm going to move from CO to CA, I might as well drive my favorite car every day.

Anyone else out there driving their Z06 every day?

If so, what are your experiences?

Thanks in advance for your opinions/input!
I will be DD'ing my A8 Z06 convertible in a month, once I pick it up from the museum. I only have a 1.5 mile commute each way, but it will be a fun 1.5m! I expect every now and then my commute will go up by a factor of 10 or so for some unknown reason.

Sometimes life in So Cal is good.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:22 AM
arbellspi
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I picked up my Z06 on New Years Day and I have about 1,700 miles on it now. I'm transitioning to moving to the Z06 as my full time DD and out of my Altima - which I won't have in about two weeks. So I drive the Z06 for one week then the Altima the next - so I do contrast the two. Here's my take on the pros and cons of the Z06 as a daily driver:

Pros: It's fun to drive; gets a lot of attention on the road, at gas stations, and parking lots; the electronics and gadgetry in the car are awesome to have; it drives nice and handles well on the road. Once you actually get in the car - it's very comfortable. I just love being with the car. I miss it when I'm in the other car. It gets it!

Cons: It's not as "easy". It's tougher to get into. It's tougher to find a place to park where I'm comfortable leaving it. I'm a big guy and the top of my head is right at the roof so I have to duck down to see traffic lights change. It's harder to carry on a phone conversation in the Z06 because the road noise is just louder and the people on the other side of the call sometimes can't hear. Bad traffic is a pain with any manual trans. The blind spots are bigger. It's also low in front so I back into most spaces that I can't pull through and need to watch those curbs and speed-bumps. While the attention is cool - sometimes you just want to be anonymous and you never will be in this car. It won't carry a lot of groceries or the like. And - it's not very economical.

I'm just being truthful. I'm not saying that the pluses don't out-weigh the negatives. This is a high performance super-car that works as a daily driver. It's amazing how well it does work. I think it's worth it. Some people won't. I used to daily-drive a crotch-rocket street bike and the Z06 is much easier and more comfortable than the bike was. So it may depend upon where you're coming from too.

Just my opinion.

Alan
Old 03-10-2015, 02:36 AM
docb
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by arbellspi
I picked up my Z06 on New Years Day and I have about 1,700 miles on it now. I'm transitioning to moving to the Z06 as my full time DD and out of my Altima - which I won't have in about two weeks. So I drive the Z06 for one week then the Altima the next - so I do contrast the two. Here's my take on the pros and cons of the Z06 as a daily driver:

Pros: It's fun to drive; gets a lot of attention on the road, at gas stations, and parking lots; the electronics and gadgetry in the car are awesome to have; it drives nice and handles well on the road. Once you actually get in the car - it's very comfortable. I just love being with the car. I miss it when I'm in the other car. It gets it!

Cons: It's not as "easy". It's tougher to get into. It's tougher to find a place to park where I'm comfortable leaving it. I'm a big guy and the top of my head is right at the roof so I have to duck down to see traffic lights change. It's harder to carry on a phone conversation in the Z06 because the road noise is just louder and the people on the other side of the call sometimes can't hear. Bad traffic is a pain with any manual trans. The blind spots are bigger. It's also low in front so I back into most spaces that I can't pull through and need to watch those curbs and speed-bumps. While the attention is cool - sometimes you just want to be anonymous and you never will be in this car. It won't carry a lot of groceries or the like. And - it's not very economical.

I'm just being truthful. I'm not saying that the pluses don't out-weigh the negatives. This is a high performance super-car that works as a daily driver. It's amazing how well it does work. I think it's worth it. Some people won't. I used to daily-drive a crotch-rocket street bike and the Z06 is much easier and more comfortable than the bike was. So it may depend upon where you're coming from too.

Just my opinion.

Alan
You should learn to set up your mirrors so you don't have to worry about shoulder checking and blind spots.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:54 AM
Z06 L GO
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by docb
You should learn to set up your mirrors so you don't have to worry about shoulder checking and blind spots.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:59 AM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I drive my 2008 C6 ZO6 every day. It has 80,000 miles on it and averages 18.3 mpg in mixed highway and city driving. It has been my daily driver since I took delivery in Nov. 2007. I can't imagine any reason not to drive it every day. It is one fantastic automobile.

My wife drives her C7 Z51 convertible every day also. She has 15,000 miles on it and averages about 21 mpg in mixed highway and city driving. She has a somewhat stressful job and drives home most every day with the top down. By the time she gets home she is relaxed and has forgotten the problems she left behind at work.

We also have an older Suburban but neither one of us drives it often. It is mostly used on the weekends to haul mulch home or to chauffeur guest or visitors since it is the only vehicle we have that will haul more than 2 people.

Corvettes make wonderful daily drivers !

Get notified of new replies

To How many DD their Z06?

Old 03-10-2015, 09:00 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,166 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by arbellspi
I While the attention is cool - sometimes you just want to be anonymous and you never will be in this car. It won't carry a lot of groceries or the like. And - it's not very economical.
You will eventually be anonymous when the car has been out for a few years. When I first got my ZR1 back in March of 2010, eyeballs locked on it everywhere. Crowds gathered around it at the local grocery store's parking lot (I daily it unless it's snowing). Pictures, etc. That went on for months.

And then it was old news. As anything in the automotive world is. No one pays it any notice now, which is perfect by me. I can slither in and around traffic and no one even notices. That'll happen with the C7 Z06 at some point, too.

Oh, and your Z06 will hold a whole load of groceries, I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:50 AM
Lipstic
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16,'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jvp
Oh, and your Z06 will hold a whole load of groceries, I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from.

You will be amazed at the groceries and luggage you can haul
Old 03-11-2015, 05:57 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I think the worst part of using it as a DD is the horrible way it sounds when turning into parking areas. The tires are killer but they are also a real nuisance.

My Z is more of a fun car... weekend warrior and once in a while during the week. Here's my DD.. 2004 Cummins 540 HP 1036 TQ

Nathan Aichime K3LA to get people out of my way (not really)

Last edited by hootowlc7; 03-11-2015 at 06:31 AM.

Quick Reply: How many DD their Z06?