C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Convertible top rattle woes: Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:05 PM
Jeff M C
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top rattle woes: Please help!

At about 400 miles, a rattle developed in the convertible top of my Z06. It's directly over the driver's seat and sounds like a snare drum, popping irregularly every few seconds. Needless to say, it comes and goes. Seems to be worse upon startup in the morning, goes away when cruising on a smooth interstate. Unless the road is completely smooth, the rattle is present more often than not. Outside temperature doesn't seem to be a factor.

It's been to the dealer twice and the factory advice they received didn't help. The dealer's service department is diligent and truly trying to fix this. There isn't a TSB on this problem as best as I can tell. Upon leaving the dealership after the second service, there was no rattle all the way home-- it was wonderful -- but the next morning, there it was again.

This is like Chinese water torture. With 1400 miles on the car, I'm going nuts. Has anybody else had this problem, and more importantly, is there a fix?
Old 07-14-2015, 07:23 PM
nytrorcr
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

My works great and no noise what so ever, just keep the top down and you won't have another issue from it.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:45 PM
fjaphd
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine is also very quiet up or down.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:51 PM
VettVertGo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My '16 Convertible top is Rattling!

Hi Jeff....were you ever able to resolve the rattle?? If so, how? I have a '16 Vert (w/Z51) that has developed a rattle in the convertible top. It seems to be coming from the top rib assembly just above my head- If I take my hand and put upward (toward the sky) pressure on the rib, the rattle stops. The noise is like two pieces of hard plastic vibrating against one another. It is only heard when on the road when the car is moving...Before I start exploring (or take it to the dealer), I am hoping to benefit from anything you may have discovered/learned. In advance, thanks!

Scott
Old 09-22-2016, 03:31 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by VettVertGo
Hi Jeff....were you ever able to resolve the rattle?? If so, how? I have a '16 Vert (w/Z51) that has developed a rattle in the convertible top. It seems to be coming from the top rib assembly just above my head- If I take my hand and put upward (toward the sky) pressure on the rib, the rattle stops. The noise is like two pieces of hard plastic vibrating against one another. It is only heard when on the road when the car is moving...Before I start exploring (or take it to the dealer), I am hoping to benefit from anything you may have discovered/learned. In advance, thanks!

Scott
thread over a year old!
Old 09-22-2016, 03:45 PM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

So what mine does it too. So if others have discovered something we would like the tip.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Jeff M C
Intermediate

Default Top fixed

Scott
Scott, my top rattles were fixed about a year ago and the rattles haven't come back. The rattles you're describing are exactly what I dealt with. The dealer attempted twice, without success, to fix them. Chevrolet then had my car taken to Davis Trim Shop in Hickory, NC (Randy or Allen Davis, ((828)322-8111) and they were able to fix it. They partially disassembled the top and wrapped the offending pieces of plastic so there was no longer plastic-to-plastic (or metal-to-metal?) contact. Randy or Allen should be able to consult with your repair person and offer guidance if needed. Chevrolet paid for the work under warranty. The top was put back together good as new and I'm completely content with my rattle-free convertible. Good luck and keep me posted.
Jeff Cline
Old 10-04-2016, 12:29 AM
VettVertGo
Intermediate

Default Top Rattle

Originally Posted by Jeff M C
Scott, my top rattles were fixed about a year ago and the rattles haven't come back. The rattles you're describing are exactly what I dealt with. The dealer attempted twice, without success, to fix them. Chevrolet then had my car taken to Davis Trim Shop in Hickory, NC (Randy or Allen Davis, ((828)322-8111) and they were able to fix it. They partially disassembled the top and wrapped the offending pieces of plastic so there was no longer plastic-to-plastic (or metal-to-metal?) contact. Randy or Allen should be able to consult with your repair person and offer guidance if needed. Chevrolet paid for the work under warranty. The top was put back together good as new and I'm completely content with my rattle-free convertible. Good luck and keep me posted.
Jeff Cline
Thanks, Jeff! I had the first trip to the dealer today....after having the car for the day, they were unable to resolve. I will share the info you provided with them. Between the dealer and Chevrolet, they can get it worked out. The good news is that here in Northern. CA, there are plenty of convertible top shops! I will repost the outcome (which I am hoping will be noise free). As an aside, the top noise didn't show up until the odometer hit about 10k miles.

Scott
Old 10-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

I've gotten a rattle in the bow just behind my head. I've got an appointment to take care of the open recalls tomorrow and my writer will get the rattle written up. She said she has dealt with a couple of convertibles with a bow rattle. They sublet the repair.

Last edited by Jus Cruisin; 10-04-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Jeff M C
Intermediate

Thanks, Jeff! I had the first trip to the dealer today....after having the car for the day, they were unable to resolve. I will share the info you provided with them. Between the dealer and Chevrolet, they can get it worked out. The good news is that here in Northern. CA, there are plenty of convertible top shops! I will repost the outcome (which I am hoping will be noise free). As an aside, the top noise didn't show up until the odometer hit about 10k miles.

Scott
Scott, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope (and expect) that you'll be as happy with your vert as I am with mine.
Jeff
Old 10-18-2016, 02:02 AM
VettVertGo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jeff M C
Scott, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope (and expect) that you'll be as happy with your vert as I am with mine.
Jeff
Apparently, three (trips back to the dealer that is) may be the charm here. After lubricating some of the bushings and hinge mechanisms (trip one), doing nothing (trip two- Vette tech ran long on another job and was unable to get to mine), the solution seems to be retightening some of the bolts in the top mechanism to the proper torque......while I only drove it about 12 miles from the dealer to home- there were no rattles! We will keep our fingers crossed that the rattle does not return and also that the likely culprit- operating the top over the first 10k miles- doesn't lead to a need to repeat the process after the next 10k miles. Thanks to all who offered advice. BTW, while I was mildly annoyed on needing to make this one a "three trip repair", I appreciate the fact that the dealer only has one Vette tech and did not compromise and simply put another tech on it. Rather, they apologized for the delay (trip two) and asked that I return at my convenience so that the issue could be resolved by their Vette Certified technician.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:43 AM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

VVG - did your offending noise sound something like a bee buzzing kind of sound directly opposite your left ear?

I've had this a few times the past month, happens above 40MPH or so, been fishing my hand up there while driving trying to isolate the source - so far unsuccessfully....

Thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 02:37 AM
VettVertGo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gbmidyear66
VVG - did your offending noise sound something like a bee buzzing kind of sound directly opposite your left ear?

I've had this a few times the past month, happens above 40MPH or so, been fishing my hand up there while driving trying to isolate the source - so far unsuccessfully....

Thanks
The noise I had was not speed dependent. Also, while the noise was just over my head ("rib #3"), I could silence it by putting upward pressure on the rib. In terms of describing the noise, I would describe it as a rattling noise....the Vette tech heard the noise almost immediately and described it aseems a "creaking" noise

In terms of advice, provided that yours is still under, consider scheduling a service appointment with your Chevy store. When making the appointment, request that whoever is going to be working on your go for a ride wit has u so that he/she can not only hear the noise, but also that it is the same noise that u r hearing.....good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible top rattle woes: Please help!

Quick Reply: Convertible top rattle woes: Please help!