C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Motor Trend Driver's Car???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 01:48 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ;1590670201
The facts are already revealed. Chevy bombed the test and received a DNF. Doesn't really matter what the real cause was, as they are the ones that provided the car and the techs with it. This whole secrecy thing is ridiculous, and reflects poorly on Chevy for leaving it's customers in the dark. Then for you guys to find joy in a customer who has similar issues with his car and no solution - well that's pretty sick and twisted. Great community here. Guess you have to be in the in crowd to be a "real" Corvette owner.
Super secret reason that only the guys in the "know" know, just like the 'Ring time.

LOL
The following 3 users liked this post by harlold:
Hirohawa (10-11-2015), QUIKAG (10-12-2015), Rodbuster56 (10-12-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 02:48 PM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default 101 Octane

Probably the added 101 octane messed up the ECM.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:05 PM
brokenparts
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They tried that in an attempt to fix the problem... would 101 do that in a stock car anyway? Honest question...

Will we ever get a straight answer about what happened?
Old 10-11-2015, 07:19 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

That's a cryin *** shame.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:55 AM
Runs11s
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kdm123
For all you guys asking for GM employees, including Tadge, to be fired...unless you have never screwed up at your job, perhaps you should not be so quick in asking for other people to get fired.

And for you guys ordering your Porsche GT4's, I hope your cars don't have the same engine problems as the GT3....

The guys at Chevy did an amazing job with the C7. Apparently there are problems, and I'm sure they will be fixed.
I am one of 'those guys' who think that whoever sent a second sick Z06 to a huge road test comparo should be fired and I stand by that.

In that business, you don't get multiple 'Oops' in my book. The first time, ok, so maybe it was a stupid mistake. But the second time, especially if it was the same car? You're gone buddy. Clean off your desk, pack your crap in a Banker's Box and hit the road. This has too many ramifications to allow it to go unpunished.

We've all made mistakes - we're only human. But you do NOT get to make a massive WTF mistake like that a second time without paying the price. Not in ANY business.

So, yes, someone needs to be fired over this one. Sorry but that's what happens when you screw up. Or should happen.

Then again, they will probably promote the fool.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:50 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,742 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwright
Fascinating. Like jvp I also know what happened but am not at liberty to say. As such, I find posts like these quite amusing. Do me a favor please. Leave your post unedited. There are a couple of things in it that bear reference to why one should not speculate until the actual facts are revealed.

I intend to revisit this one then.
That's the thing - it no longer matters what the "facts" are now, especially after GM laughingly attempted to blame the issue on 91 octane, and then went dead silent. A little bit of reasonable communication on the issue from team Corvette would have gone a long way towards mediating the PR fiasco.

It's not a huge technical deal to me as I'll still take my C7Z to the track and will continue to improve its weaknesses just as I have with every track car I've had....it's really more an issue of image at this point, and further damage to the car's reputation as no reasonable mention of what went wrong has been brought forth by GM.

Last edited by RedLS6; 10-12-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Fan boys are just that--ego is right out in front. Not with cars but another emotional subject I am on several forums and have access not readily available to the general public. These are for the most part private companies however, my point is just keep your trap shut.

With GM and if someone is giving information to a super fan boy and lord knows there are a lot of them here and they are spouting off about it that is not a good thing.

Insider information and how it is handled is a very serious matter and the SEC may have some questions for those folks who maybe in a attempt to boost the ego are putting the people they are getting information from in harms way.

Oh and btw it is not about just this possible instance it is more about what other proprietary/insider information is being disseminated when it should not be?????

Something to give pause over.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jvp
One last reply from me, and then I'm tapping out of this thread. For folks on both "sides" of this debate, I offer this suggestion: don't be too quick to jump to conclusions either way. The car clearly had the sound of rapid spark retardation, which can be caused by a few different things. I know exactly what caused it, but am not at liberty to say at the moment. All I'm recommending is that folks step back for a sec, take a breath, and wait for the VLE to spill the beans.

Capiche?

Well it has been a few weeks and still nothing released yet. Sounds like you have access to proprietary/GM private information. Care to comment on this?

Do not know if your sources would appreciate you putting them in possible harms way here because of a ego..
The following users liked this post:
Rodbuster56 (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
Well it has been a few weeks and still nothing released yet. Sounds like you have access to proprietary/GM private information. Care to comment on this?

Do not know if your sources would appreciate you putting them in possible harms way here because of a ego..
Just keep waiting Nurburgring time is coming in any day now as well. They are also going to reveal what caused all the dropped valves in the LS7 and implement a recall and fix to prevent further engine losses for the 10th anniversary of the LS7.

Just sit back and wait as they sell thousands of cars with no repercussions or accountability to validate their own set performance goals. So far approx. 10,000 Z06s sold at approx. $100,000.00 a pop is very little incentive to fix or change anything.

Last edited by Hirohawa; 10-13-2015 at 02:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hirohawa:
Rodbuster56 (10-12-2015), svtkeith (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 12:36 AM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Speaking about R. Pobst. He drove a gen5 viper at Motor Sport Park today.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:57 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
Speaking about R. Pobst. He drove a gen5 viper at Motor Sport Park today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vznuI4zfesU
Very Whose Viper?
Old 10-13-2015, 05:30 AM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Most average guys pick up a magazine.. Read a article here or there and draw to a conclusion on most cars. Press has only been negative on this car and this just added more reinforcement.

Anyone that is a bit more on the 'let me look into it and see what's going on' will visit a forum as such is also blasted with tons of information that's not favorable to this powertrain.

GM has really tarnished the image of this car... No matter what the real cause was.. The damage has been done and back pedaling from that only makes it worse.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:35 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
Most average guys pick up a magazine.. Read a article here or there and draw to a conclusion on most cars. Press has only been negative on this car and this just added more reinforcement.

Anyone that is a bit more on the 'let me look into it and see what's going on' will visit a forum as such is also blasted with tons of information that's not favorable to this powertrain.

GM has really tarnished the image of this car... No matter what the real cause was.. The damage has been done and back pedaling from that only makes it worse.
To be fair there have only been about 4 reviews where the car overheated, blew an engine, or just wouldn't run right. The rest of the reviews have been nothing but praise.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:06 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Just keep waiting Nurburgring time is coming in any day now as well. They are also going to reveal what caused all the dropped valves in the LS7 and implement a recall and fix to prevent further engine losses for the 10th anniversary of the LS7.

Just sit back and wait as they sell thousands of cars with no repercussions or accountability to validate their own set performance goals. So far approx. 10,000 Z06s sold at approx. $100,000.00 a pop is very little incentive to fix or change anything.

Exactly!!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:44 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

There are many like me who feel that if GM is having all of this trouble with the cars for the press to drive and the objective is to get favorable press and they are failing miserably--does that speak to build quality?

I like the car and that is the reason there are going to be some serious engine modifications made later this month to turn it into a real "thumping" fire breathing monster.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:24 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
GM didnt screw up on the Z06. The car was made to lose power under track like conditions. They give you a few laps, then cut the power like they wanted it to. They also know that most people are not tracking, so most people are not mad.

If the guys over at motor trend, or random people report power loss. Better believe GM testers also found this. But like i said, they figured most wont track.
Are you kidding ? They advertised the car as "best track Corvette ever". People that have problems tracking these cars have every reason to be upset.
The following users liked this post:
Rodbuster56 (10-15-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 10:30 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
Very Whose Viper?
Luke McGrew....TA on Pirelli scrubs

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Trend Driver's Car???

Old 10-13-2015, 10:31 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Are you kidding ? They advertised the car as "best track Corvette ever". People that have problems tracking these cars have every reason to be upset.

Amazing huh?....wow what some people will say to hide the fact there's an issue with this car is out of this world....
Old 10-13-2015, 01:48 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
To be fair there have only been about 4 reviews where the car overheated, blew an engine, or just wouldn't run right. The rest of the reviews have been nothing but praise.
Ok, now let's put things in context:

1. Magazines are generally not given the green for track testing.

2. Magazines that are allowed to track the car, can only do so for 2 to 3 laps. That's 7 miles tops of driving hard.

3. Magazines have an incentive to give positive reviews. A positive review gets you cars you can drive on a daily basis, early access to new cars, or simply a car to test in general.

As an owner, I already spent more time at Laguna Seca in the C7 Z than Motor Trend will spend in the entirety of the magazine's life, all drivers combined (unless they own a Z personally).

Conclusion: you say only 4, I say holly ****, 4 times already!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:58 PM
carlsturm
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Some cars are engineered for the Street and can be driven on the Track.

Some cars are engineered for the Track and can be driven on the Street.

Some cars are engineered for the Street and can be driven on the Track (conservatively).

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Driver's Car???