C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Anyone eyeballing a Grand Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 06:14 PM
Jakeman11
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You decide, but I got my Z51 3LT before the Z came out. Went to Spring Mountain when the first few Zs got there (may go again with the Z). They were awesome. I decided in August to go for the Z and after test driving it and then getting back into my car, my car felt sluggish. Now I also have ARH middie headers and Corsa X Pipe so about 35 HP over stock, plus XPel wrap. The difference in drive and performance between the Z51 and Z06 was amazing. As a result I ordered a 2017 which is being delivered next week. Black Rose metallic, 3LZ kalahari interior, convertible and M7 tranny.

I have seen some great looking new GS Vettes at my club's car show several weeks ago. But you have that look already and the huge power difference and price loss on the trade? Black may be tough to care for, but it is a nasty looking car!

Good luck with your decision!
Old 10-13-2016, 08:38 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by four0nefive
If you were in Washington, we have 92 in most places, not 91 (not that it's a huge difference).
I was up there. I enjoy running the loop west from Yakima to Chinook Pass, then south on 123 through Mt Rainier Ntl Pk to 12 E across White Pass and back to Yakima. I've run it in both directions several times. Notice something new each time. Next year I plan on following 12 back east across ID and MT. I-90 sucks swamp water. It is soooooo boring.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:54 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Oh yeah, I never worried about the premium octane rating either. I am more concerned about making sure the last user didn't leave the pump handle clipped in the wide open position when they hung it back up.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:29 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Tossing money out the window all for a lessor car. Get your black car detailed and coated. Black can become much easier!
I went down In April to order the GS. Was going to trade my 15 Z. Couldn't bring myself to go backwards and ended up ordering a 16 Z06. Got one of the last ones built and I am happy with my choice.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:46 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbruce
I went down In April to order the GS. Was going to trade my 15 Z. Couldn't bring myself to go backwards and ended up ordering a 16 Z06. Got one of the last ones built and I am happy with my choice.
The lt 4 engine makes it all worth it! I'm sold on it after 22,XXX miles dead quiet ball busting TQ 550 rwtq at less than 2500 rpm.

Then the Hp you get with JUST an Intake, headers and good tune
My car did 636 rwhp which is over 750 crank hp and with the tuned headers has such a sweet
different sound and super increase in power. Feels exotic now and the exotic's need to look out!
Old 10-13-2016, 11:06 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

This is in the ZO6 forum because you think someone will trade in their ZO6 for a GS!
The following users liked this post:
OLD_GOAT (10-14-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 11:33 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
The lt 4 engine makes it all worth it! I'm sold on it after 22,XXX miles dead quiet ball busting TQ 550 rwtq at less than 2500 rpm.

Then the Hp you get with JUST an Intake, headers and good tune
My car did 636 rwhp which is over 750 crank hp and with the tuned headers has such a sweet
different sound and super increase in power. Feels exotic now and the exotic's need to look out!
Exactly ! All I have to do is take the Stingray out for a spin ............ It's why my my son is hoping I make good on my desire to buy a Z06 drop top next year by trading in the Stingray.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:51 PM
SgtRod
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisN123
I didn't say i would press it all the time!
When it overheats, you have GS power...solved...
The following users liked this post:
OLD_GOAT (10-14-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 11:53 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Or, run in Eco mode all the time ....................
Old 10-14-2016, 06:55 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

I love the look of the grey show car with blue interior. It's still my screen saver. However the Z06 has so much power, I'm not sure how any car lover could give that up. Even if the power scares you a little, you control the delivery with your right foot.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:03 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Still have not decided. Tough decision. The Z has its own garage and I dont see it everyday when I dont drive it. I was out there last night and it sure is a bad azz looking car!!!

But guys let talk power since that seems to be the common reason NOT to "trade down". I mean when do you use that POWER? I hit the track 3 or 4 times a year and to be honest faster times are related to driver skill not HP. Like golf you get more out of lessons than new clubs.

So other then the track when do you use that POWER? I get up on the freeway and within mere seconds I am over 100 and backing down. There is just too much traffic and too stiff a penalty if you play on public roads.

What do you do with that power?

I do get my cars at employee pricing so trading every year which I have done is easier. And financially when they roll out the ZR1 next year all the got to have HP guys will be dumping Zs so it will be a fire sale.

Getting closer to pulling the trigger. Planning on pulling off the Corsa system tonight to get it back to stock.

But I know this is a 1st world problem which I am blessed to have. Thanks for some good ideas!
Old 10-14-2016, 08:37 AM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

NO
Old 10-14-2016, 08:40 AM
boomerangj
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Hey Greg. Not sure if you are soliciting opinions or not. The best answer is to do what makes you happy. I have two Z06s, but I love all Corvettes, and the GS is a real looker. I was in a showroom the other day with a friend who was in the process of buying a used C6 and there was about 10 new GS cars all lined up. It was a stunning display and very impressive. The GS is an awesome car and anyone who owns one should be proud of it...I know I would.

If it makes you happy, then go for it brother! This is a very personal decision of yours, and what others say here (including me) isn't of much value. But for what it is worth, I would never keep a car I wasn't happy with...."downgrade" or otherwise. I do however think most here in the Z06 forum would not do what you are contemplating, as the Z06 is a purpose built and purpose bought car. I know I wouldn't do it, as I do care about what is under the hood...but that doesn't mean you should or need to.

On a side note, I never understood why anyone would put down any Corvette. I love them all. I have a very close friend who could never afford a Z06, but he just recently bought a base model C6 1LT. He has lusted after a Corvette for many years and I sometimes feel bad because I always have Corvettes in my garage. He works hard and literally saved every penny for 5 years just to afford an "older" model base C6. He actually started bringing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to work just to save $5/day on lunch! He is so proud and happy with the "little" LS2. He knows it isn't a Z06, just like a GS owner knows theirs isn't either. People are not dumb animals. They buy what they can afford and what suits their purpose. My friend was embarrassed to line his car up against one of mine, but I lavished it with honest praise and admiration. It is a beautiful piece of work and I told him I loved it, to never sell it (or at least give me first dibs) and to bring it over every chance he gets so I can look at it. I even begged him to drive it. He asked me "Why would you want to drive my lowly base C6 when you have two 700hp Z06s?" I told him his car was more docile, has a super clean, honest look and that I was a tad jealous of it, so please let me drive it or at least sit in the driver seat!!! It was the truth. He was so proud and happy.

If you do this, you are not "downgrading", and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The GS is a fine automobile and perhaps suits your needs better. Plus, if it makes you happy (for now), and you can afford it, then why the hell not? And if money is no object (or at least this won't break the bank), then why would anyone not get what they want? I personally would love to see pics of your current car, and if you trade for the GS please do post pics of that one too!

You can't go wrong either way!

My vote for forum post of the year! I read several forums and all of them have this self centered tone of "if you don't make the same decision I did-then I will negatively attack you to validate my decision". Not sure why internet forums brings this personality out-but it's common and to me a tiring waste of time. Glad your friend has a friend like you and good story.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:50 PM
SgtRod
Drifting

Your question related to power is similar to the logic when people say, "it hits 200mph and I cant do that anywhere, so its a waste"...not the whole story.

To me its thrust per throtle input, you will feel that all the time. You would have to push the GS harder to get the same acceleration up to the limits of the GS...where the z will have more thrust at any given speed.

When test driving a GS...it may feel comprable in speed but more seat time in the car will start to make the difference more noticable. When you have mustangs running with your GS on the highway, you will miss the z.

Imagine...lose money to get a GS and then spend money on mods...not good

Corvettes are attractive because of their percieved ability and power...purpose built. Same look with less of the "purpose"...its a waste. If it put money back in your pocket and shrunk your payments and cost of ownership considerably then I would understand. But that is not the case.

However, the z is more desireable with less miles. Some cars make better drivers due to potential buyers accepting higher miles.

Only way I would even consider the trade, somewhat, is if I wanted a different tranny and trading for another Z was just not in the budget...either way, you will miss the Z.

Last edited by SgtRod; 10-14-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:57 PM
SgtRod
Drifting

Originally Posted by boomerangj
My vote for forum post of the year! I read several forums and all of them have this self centered tone of "if you don't make the same decision I did-then I will negatively attack you to validate my decision". Not sure why internet forums brings this personality out-but it's common and to me a tiring waste of time. Glad your friend has a friend like you and good story.
I agree...ONLY...if he also let his friend drive one of his 700hp cars in return. If his friend let him drive his dream car that he brown bagged to buy, that is meaningful.

Kind of like someone giving you their last dollar vs someone well off giving you $10...The man who gave his last dollar still gave more.

Did you let him?

Sharing is caring!

Last edited by SgtRod; 10-14-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:14 PM
Niemienator
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by angryBits
This is old information carried over from the C6 Grand Sport.

The C7 Grand Sport is every bit an Apex Predator as the Z06, read this: 2017 Grand Sport

So lets not call the GS a Pretender/Fake/Wannabe Z06, its not.
The GS is an NA Z06

It has all the suspension bits, brakes, tires, chassis, everything.
And for some of us, lighter and no supercharger quirks.
(I live in CA where we only get 91 octane and superchargers choke)

Good to see you on the CF!
I just traded my 15 ZL1 too for a 17 GS 7spd Zo6 pkg.

I could have purchased a new 16 Zo6 2lZ, but didn't want the same road course overheating issues I was leaving with the ZL1. It was really a hard decision because I have always wanted a corvette racing yellow Zo6 and can finally afford one.

I look forward to tracking my GS with the only limiting factor being my skill level, not heat soak and temps.

Agree all corvette models are bad *** - IMO, Chevy should no charge retro fit all Zo6 cars to original owners with new 17 SC set up to make good on the most track capable.... advertising. Looked under the hood at 17 Zo6 and looks to be a big improvement in dome capacity.

Love whichever Vette you drive!
Old 10-14-2016, 01:29 PM
acz06
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Watch the 7 liters and valve issues.. take the new technology.. the c7 platform is great.. whether it's a stingray.. GS.. or Z.. you still have a great car.. get the GS.. and put a procharger on it later.. it will b faster than a stock z.. just my opinion..

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone eyeballing a Grand Sport?

Old 10-14-2016, 03:50 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by acz06
Watch the 7 liters and valve issues.. take the new technology.. the c7 platform is great.. whether it's a stingray.. GS.. or Z.. you still have a great car.. get the GS.. and put a procharger on it later.. it will b faster than a stock z.. just my opinion..
Great plan for wasting money and plenty of it!
Old 10-14-2016, 04:34 PM
acz06
Racer

I am molding mine and love it.. 680 at the wheels and putting an f1x and e85 next year.. they are toys and everybody has their opinion..
Old 10-14-2016, 04:37 PM
acz06
Racer

Originally Posted by boomerangj

Haha.. you are right 100 %.. these forums blow.. when you state an opinion the mr. Know it all is always stating a case and beating people down.. kinda like going back to high school on here..lol

Quick Reply: Anyone eyeballing a Grand Sport?