C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Porsche encounter, lack of self control

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,147 Posts

Not since I started tracking my car. There is no comparison between the rush tracking the car in a controlled enviroment and being on a public street.

To be on the track doing a cool down lap and looking down and seeing your running 80 on a cool down lap and feeling like you are barely moving vrs 80 on the street.......I save it for the track.

A couple of kids here and there give me some friendly lip and my answer is Oh I dont know if your car is faster but there is a track day coming up at such and such place on this date.......come on out. Funny no one ever said I'll be there.
The following users liked this post:
serendib (04-12-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 08:54 AM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 406Z06
So, I need a little help. I was driving in traffic on Sunday when I spotted a Red 911 ahead. Soon after spotting him, he made a move through traffic and took off. I couldn't help myself, not that self control has ever been easy for me, so I maneuvered through traffic and quickly caught up to him and passed him. I don't think I broke 80mph at any time. My question is does anyone else suffer from these moments of lack of self control?
All the way to 80mph?

on Texas freeways like I-20 , I-35 that is Chevy Spark speed and 18 wheeler speed.

Don't worry Im sure you increased the national corvette mph avg since 99 out of 100 are going 10mph under the speed limit in the right lane.

If you drive it like a camry why own it? Part of the reason I sold mine is I could track it or do events, so what was the point anymore.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:37 AM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 546 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rawTA
As long as traffic and weather is permitting it is GAME ON..
I do not swerve in and out of traffic or do it when congested, But if the road is clear ahead its go time
Old 04-05-2017, 11:43 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Strangely, I'm the opposite.

Let's say I'm out in my 1969 Pontiac 2+2 427. It's got some work done to it, but appears stock. It's not fast compared to the Z but it's fast enough in a 4200lb barge with drum brakes and no computer.

When I get "tempted" in that car, I'm curious about how it will do. Is it faster than a new Mustang? The Z would be laughably so, but a 2+2? Only one way to find out!

With the Z, though, I know it's a 10.5 car on a good day (and I drive around with drag radials all day too) and that there's very little on the street that can touch it, so why would I bother? I'm more more "confident and aloof" in my Z than I am in other cars because I know the Z is faster than pretty much 99.5% of the cars out there.

In fact, most of the cars that would put up a challenge to the Z are going to be AWD and will punk it on a non-prepped surface anyway, so in that sense it's the worst of all worlds... no challengers except those that can likely beat it.

Last edited by davepl; 04-05-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,003 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I don't think I broke 80mph at any time.
You don't think you broke 80mph?! Where were you, a school zone? Its all I can do to keep this below 90!

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 04-05-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:20 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Decades ago, I would lose it frequently. Some young man behaviors were displayed. Cars on public roads? Not a good venue for control issues, haha.

What I discovered was racing offshore powerboats. No lanes, no mufflers, no gendarmes, no speed limits, no left lane bandits. Oil check, fire it up, fuel up, slow motor to open blue water, check the goggles, push the throttles wide open and ... go.

Best "therapy" on the planet, also the most expensive.

Driving the C7Z is a relaxing (well, sort of relaxing) experience for me. I know just how much faster I am than 99% of the other drivers. No need to prove anything or police anyone else.

Last edited by HighBeta; 04-05-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I pray everyday that someone will try to run me. I seem to never get any luck tho. Nobody wants to run this thing. Sissy *** drivers
Old 04-05-2017, 08:12 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm seldom tempted to race someone on open roads since they changed the law (at least in Washington) that if the other person does something stupid, like plow into another car, you can also be held liable. If they lose control and kill themselves, you can be charged with manslaughter. Not worth it in my book. Would I like to? Absolutely.

Now getting my car on a racetrack is another story...
Old 04-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Back when 13-15 second cars were about the fastest thing on the street, I used to street-race all the time.
Hardly ever did it with my supercharged C5, and can't see doing it with my ZO6. Things have gotten a little too fast and powerful to race on public roads, if one has somewhat of a sense of responsibility to other citizens.

And no matter how skilled you might be yourself, the downside could be something like your competitor plowing into another car, as Aaron mentioned above.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 04-05-2017 at 08:35 PM.
serendib (04-12-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 08:48 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Strangely, I'm the opposite.

Let's say I'm out in my 1969 Pontiac 2+2 427. It's got some work done to it, but appears stock. It's not fast compared to the Z but it's fast enough in a 4200lb barge with drum brakes and no computer.

When I get "tempted" in that car, I'm curious about how it will do. Is it faster than a new Mustang? The Z would be laughably so, but a 2+2? Only one way to find out!

With the Z, though, I know it's a 10.5 car on a good day (and I drive around with drag radials all day too) and that there's very little on the street that can touch it, so why would I bother? I'm more more "confident and aloof" in my Z than I am in other cars because I know the Z is faster than pretty much 99.5% of the cars out there.

In fact, most of the cars that would put up a challenge to the Z are going to be AWD and will punk it on a non-prepped surface anyway, so in that sense it's the worst of all worlds... no challengers except those that can likely beat it.
Good pointI feel like the "challengers" out there just want to see what the Corvette will do to their lesser cars, whereas the serious big-power cars with AWD could apply a spanking in poor traction street environments. That said, sometimes you just need to crush the guy in the next lane and smile.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:13 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

pull up to a modded GTR at a red light and ignore him? he"s got all wheel drive and about as much hp as the Z,or more.only had 1k on my car and was not familiar with all the featurers like launch control.light turns green,we go, he pulls me by 2 cars while I am spinning,cant beat all wheel drive on the street.found out later he ran a tuner shop and he had over $150k into his car.i know it sounded real mean at the light.we didn't go far maybe 100,then shut off for safety.no cars in front of us,waved and he turned off at the next light.could I have beat him even if I had put it into launch control?probally not,but I never back down from a challenge when the coast is clear.i did not know what a GTR was until he blew my doors off becauce no markings on the car except for a GTR badge on the trunk.now that I have 5k on my car and I know all the featurers I will do better.fuuny thing is that was the first car street race I have had from a light in 40 years,and the first time I ever got beat.LOL
Old 04-05-2017, 09:18 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Lots of people will go through the motions of "challenging" you (even Priuses), just so they can see you get on it. Some guy in a Ford pickup did it just the other day. I just smiled and waved.

Yup, even medium-powered all-wheel-drive cars can usually smoke us off the line, on the street, and the typical street race doesn't usually last long enough for us to run 'em down and pass.

If the goal is winning stop-light-to-stoplight street races, a showroom stock all-wheel-drive turbo Subaru might be a better choice than a ZO6.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 04-05-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Getyup
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the same thing happen to me. All kinds of cars and trucks. They just want to see what your car can do. I always get the thumbs up or camera phone pic after I slow down and they catch up to me😎
Old 04-05-2017, 10:30 PM
DanTex
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"i did not know what a GTR was until he blew my doors off"
If anyone witnesses that encounter they probably told their friends they saw a C7Z get whooped by a Cavalier! LOL
Old 04-06-2017, 01:12 AM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DanTex
"i did not know what a GTR was until he blew my doors off"
If anyone witnesses that encounter they probably told their friends they saw a C7Z get whooped by a Cavalier! LOL
yup.LOL
Old 04-06-2017, 01:28 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Dfwz06
I pray everyday that someone will try to run me. I seem to never get any luck tho. Nobody wants to run this thing. Sissy *** drivers

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
I'm seldom tempted to race someone on open roads since they changed the law (at least in Washington) that if the other person does something stupid, like plow into another car, you can also be held liable. If they lose control and kill themselves, you can be charged with manslaughter...
IIRC, same thing here in Oregon.

Originally Posted by lordofwar
pull up to a modded GTR at a red light and ignore him? he"s got all wheel drive and about as much hp as the Z,or more.only had 1k on my car and was not familiar with all the featurers like launch control.light turns green,we go, he pulls me by 2 cars while I am spinning,cant beat all wheel drive on the street.found out later he ran a tuner shop and he had over $150k into his car.i know it sounded real mean at the light.we didn't go far maybe 100,then shut off for safety.no cars in front of us,waved and he turned off at the next light.could I have beat him even if I had put it into launch control?probally not,but I never back down from a challenge when the coast is clear.i did not know what a GTR was until he blew my doors off becauce no markings on the car except for a GTR badge on the trunk.now that I have 5k on my car and I know all the featurers I will do better.fuuny thing is that was the first car street race I have had from a light in 40 years,and the first time I ever got beat.LOL
Well...now you know what to do.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:15 AM
JDC PDX
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you sure it didn't say "Boxster" on the back?

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche encounter, lack of self control

Old 04-11-2017, 01:42 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

So, I need a little help. I was driving in traffic on Sunday when I spotted a Red 911 ahead. Soon after spotting him, he made a move through traffic and took off. I couldn't help myself, not that self control has ever been easy for me, so I maneuvered through traffic and quickly caught up to him and passed him. I don't think I broke 80mph at any time. My question is does anyone else suffer from these moments of lack of self control?
Absolutely not, CDL A's and traffic accidents/violations are a very bad mix that can adversely affect my wallet. I've had fast cars all my life, but never had a ticket, not to say I've never exceeded the speed limit by a fair margin. The thing is, there are way too many assclowns out there that want to endanger themselves, me and the general public by racing on the street, I just wave them on, if you want to race me, we'll take it to the track, and put some $$$ down.
serendib (04-12-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 01:46 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Not since I started tracking my car. There is no comparison between the rush tracking the car in a controlled enviroment and being on a public street.

To be on the track doing a cool down lap and looking down and seeing your running 80 on a cool down lap and feeling like you are barely moving vrs 80 on the street.......I save it for the track.

A couple of kids here and there give me some friendly lip and my answer is Oh I dont know if your car is faster but there is a track day coming up at such and such place on this date.......come on out. Funny no one ever said I'll be there.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:07 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Sounds pretty immature and childish to me. Even though my Z06 is very fast, I've never violated any traffic laws or done anything silly in it on the street.

Quick Reply: Porsche encounter, lack of self control