Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page >

I take it an oil cooler didn't solve overheating?

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I take it an oil cooler didn't solve overheating?

 
Old 05-28-2017, 01:27 PM
  #1  
davepl
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
davepl's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Redmond WA
Posts: 8,557
Thanked 1,410 Times in 941 Posts
Default I take it an oil cooler didn't solve overheating?

Somewhere, someone along the way must have tried a dedicated, separate oil cooler for our cars, right? I'm aware of the aux cooler added to the M7 models, but don't actually know if it removes the water-oil exchanger or not (I assume not).

You'd imagine that if you could find airflow for it, removing the entire engine oil heat load from the coolant (since it's just in the little block-mounted exchanger from the factory) should take a LOT of load off the cooling system, especially once oil temp gets >250.

What was the result though? Too hard to fit, so no one ran a test that way, or didn't make enough of a difference when it WAS tested?

Last edited by davepl; 05-28-2017 at 01:51 PM.
davepl is offline  
Old 05-28-2017, 03:23 PM
  #2  
thebishman
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Overland Park KS
Posts: 2,535
Thanked 308 Times in 228 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 View Post
Somewhere, someone along the way must have tried a dedicated, separate oil cooler for our cars, right? I'm aware of the aux cooler added to the M7 models, but don't actually know if it removes the water-oil exchanger or not (I assume not).

You'd imagine that if you could find airflow for it, removing the entire engine oil heat load from the coolant (since it's just in the little block-mounted exchanger from the factory) should take a LOT of load off the cooling system, especially once oil temp gets >250.

What was the result though? Too hard to fit, so no one ran a test that way, or didn't make enough of a difference when it WAS tested?
Remember the "aux cooler" is a secondary water radiator, so the OEM 'water-oil exchanger' is not replaced. It's just that the water 'heat sink' is expanded which helps maintain both water and oil temps.

There is now a temperature controlled bypass that opens up at 177dF iirc that replaces the 'brick''; why this hasn't been paired with a dedicated setrab etc. oil cooler surprises me, although getting airflow to a dedicated oil cooler remains a challenge.
Bish
thebishman is offline  
Old 05-28-2017, 03:35 PM
  #3  
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!
 
HighBeta's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: NH, FL, NV
Posts: 543
Thanked 114 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 View Post
Somewhere, someone along the way must have tried a dedicated, separate oil cooler for our cars, right? I'm aware of the aux cooler added to the M7 models, but don't actually know if it removes the water-oil exchanger or not (I assume not).

You'd imagine that if you could find airflow for it, removing the entire engine oil heat load from the coolant (since it's just in the little block-mounted exchanger from the factory) should take a LOT of load off the cooling system, especially once oil temp gets >250.

What was the result though? Too hard to fit, so no one ran a test that way, or didn't make enough of a difference when it WAS tested?
Dewitts makes a dedicated outboard oil cooler to go along with their radiator and intercooler upgrades. When tested as a package, it made a "significant" difference, but still unable to dissipate *all* the heat generated. Search for the very informative thread from GSpeed.

The only way to bleed off all the heat involves opening the car's nose to additional radiators.
HighBeta is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to HighBeta For This Useful Post:
davepl (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 03:38 PM
  #4  
ImprovedRacing
Supporting Vendor
 
ImprovedRacing's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Orlando FL - USA
Posts: 203
Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 View Post
Somewhere, someone along the way must have tried a dedicated, separate oil cooler for our cars, right? I'm aware of the aux cooler added to the M7 models, but don't actually know if it removes the water-oil exchanger or not (I assume not).

You'd imagine that if you could find airflow for it, removing the entire engine oil heat load from the coolant (since it's just in the little block-mounted exchanger from the factory) should take a LOT of load off the cooling system, especially once oil temp gets >250.

What was the result though? Too hard to fit, so no one ran a test that way, or didn't make enough of a difference when it WAS tested?
Yes, it will certainly help to have a separate oil cooler. But from what we've seen it still doesn't completely solve the issue as those that have been able to resolve it did so with a combination of extra radiators and a separate oil cooler.

The aux cooler is just a secondary radiator and still uses coolant to cool the oil.

We are working with DeWitts to finish up an oil cooler kit for the C7 using our thermostatic oil cooler adapter and their cooler. It should be available both from us or DeWitts.
__________________
Call Us: 407-705-3054 MON-FRI 10am-6pm EST



Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Instagram: @ImprovedRacing
Tag Us: #improvedracing
ImprovedRacing is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ImprovedRacing For This Useful Post:
thebishman (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 03:50 PM
  #5  
NSC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
NSC5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,880
Thanked 1,014 Times in 687 Posts
Default

When GM created the overheating problem with their second generation Duramax diesel a number of owners (and firms) tried to solve it with a large oil cooler. The Dmax also uses a oil to coolant exchanger. But the additional cooler helped very little and the only approach that worked was a large secondary radiator. Unlike the C7 there was plenty of room and airflow for the pickup but it is a history repeats itself moment when once again a platform had been released with insufficient cooling capacity for its rated (and highly advertised) capabilities.
NSC5 is offline  
Old 05-28-2017, 04:19 PM
  #6  
davepl
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
davepl's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Redmond WA
Posts: 8,557
Thanked 1,410 Times in 941 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HighBeta View Post
Dewitts makes a dedicated outboard oil cooler to go along with their radiator and intercooler upgrades. When tested as a package, it made a "significant" difference, but still unable to dissipate *all* the heat generated. Search for the very informative thread from GSpeed.

The only way to bleed off all the heat involves opening the car's nose to additional radiators.
Thanks! That pretty much answers it for me.
davepl is offline  
Old 05-28-2017, 04:31 PM
  #7  
johnglenntwo
CF Senior Member
 
johnglenntwo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Beaverton OR
Posts: 7,488
Thanked 141 Times in 125 Posts
Default


Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-28-2017 at 04:44 PM.
johnglenntwo is online now  
Old 05-29-2017, 05:37 PM
  #8  
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor
 
GSpeed's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2015
Location: Cresson TX
Posts: 813
Thanked 378 Times in 214 Posts
Default

When you remove the oil cooler from the cooling system, and you're able to keep the oil temps below 275, the net cooling gain is roughly 15-20*.

If you leave the oil cooler in the cooling system, you are adding that heat load into the cooling system, which cannot work hard enough to keep coolant temps in check, even with added radiators. We ran the OEM oil cooler and with the stage 2 system we offer (70mm dewitts, and 50% secondary radiator) and coolant temps were reaching 240, with oil temps over 300.

Please see post 164 of our cooling thread from 1 year ago, last summer:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592637335
__________________

"Keeping You on Track!"
http://www.gspeed.com
877-512-5180

Instagram_Facebook_YouTube

GSpeed C7Z Cooling Development

2018 NASA TTU & TT3 National Champions
GSpeed is offline  
Old 05-29-2017, 06:00 PM
  #9  
Warp Factor
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Warp Factor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Posts: 4,968
Thanked 472 Times in 342 Posts
Default

That just puts an additional heat burden on the engine coolant system, which is already inadequate.
Warp Factor is online now  
Old 05-29-2017, 06:24 PM
  #10  
ImprovedRacing
Supporting Vendor
 
ImprovedRacing's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Orlando FL - USA
Posts: 203
Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Warp Factor View Post
That just puts an additional heat burden on the engine coolant system, which is already inadequate.
Exactly, this setup isn't much different from the factory heat exchanger.

It's best to increase coolant capacity of the radiator by upgrading it and adding secondary radiators while also removing the burden of oil cooling from it by running a separate air-to-oil cooler.
ImprovedRacing is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ImprovedRacing For This Useful Post:
thebishman (05-30-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 07:36 PM
  #11  
johnglenntwo
CF Senior Member
 
johnglenntwo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Beaverton OR
Posts: 7,488
Thanked 141 Times in 125 Posts
Default It certainly doesn't meet the OPs original constraints which are impossible!

Originally Posted by Warp Factor View Post
That just puts an additional heat burden on the engine coolant system, which is already inadequate.
Your word "additional" is incorrect though.
The significance thereof? Even the vendor seems undecided.
johnglenntwo is online now  
Old 05-29-2017, 08:17 PM
  #12  
Tom DeWitt
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Tom DeWitt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2000
Location: Howell Mi Michigan
Posts: 4,917
Thanked 288 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ImprovedRacing View Post
We are working with DeWitts to finish up an oil cooler kit for the C7 using our thermostatic oil cooler adapter and their cooler. It should be available both from us or DeWitts.
We are really excited to team up with IR with our cooling components. Some customers that race and drive their cars in the north have said the oil cooler works a little too well and the addition of a IR adapter would fix that.

In addition, I am working on a new kit that will package two air/oil heat exchangers in the same area as the A8 or GMPP add on cooler. One cooler for ATF and one for Engine Oil. This design will allow Z06/A8 cars to completely remove the engine oil heat by eliminating the brick cooler and exhausting this heat below the car. The connections for the A8 ATF will be the identical size and location as the factory for plug and play installation.

We may expand this offering with a M7 version, with the 1st section used as an EOC and the 2nd second used for an "add on coolant" heat exchanger.

In both cases the horizontal mounted H.E. is upgraded from 26mm to 46mm thick. Minor plastic trimming will be required to allow for this increase in thickness. I expect to release this design sometime in July so it will be just in time for those hot summer days.


Last edited by Tom DeWitt; 05-29-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Tom DeWitt is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tom DeWitt For This Useful Post:
edster75 (05-29-2017), FrankT1958 (06-14-2018), FYREANT (06-05-2018), ImprovedRacing (05-30-2017), johnglenntwo (05-29-2017), thebishman (05-30-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 08:56 PM
  #13  
Warp Factor
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Warp Factor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Posts: 4,968
Thanked 472 Times in 342 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo View Post
Your word "additional" is incorrect though.
If it cools the oil better, where do you think that extra heat removed from the oil going????
Warp Factor is online now  
Old 05-29-2017, 09:10 PM
  #14  
johnglenntwo
CF Senior Member
 
johnglenntwo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Beaverton OR
Posts: 7,488
Thanked 141 Times in 125 Posts
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt View Post
We are really excited to team up with IR with our cooling components. Some customers that race and drive their cars in the north have said the oil cooler works a little too well and the addition of a IR adapter would fix that.

In addition, I am working on a new kit that will package two air/oil heat exchangers in the same area as the A8 or GMPP add on cooler. One cooler for ATF and one for Engine Oil. This design will allow Z06/A8 cars to completely remove the engine oil heat by eliminating the brick cooler and exhausting this heat below the car. The connections for the A8 ATF will be the identical size and location as the factory for plug and play installation.

We may expand this offering with a M7 version, with the 1st section used as an EOC and the 2nd second used for an "add on coolant" heat exchanger.

In both cases the horizontal mounted H.E. is upgraded from 26mm to 46mm thick. Minor plastic trimming will be required to allow for this increase in thickness. I expect to release this design sometime in July so it will be just in time for those hot summer days.

That simply will work!
johnglenntwo is online now  
Old 05-29-2017, 09:16 PM
  #15  
johnglenntwo
CF Senior Member
 
johnglenntwo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Beaverton OR
Posts: 7,488
Thanked 141 Times in 125 Posts
Default Lets see!? ;)

Originally Posted by Warp Factor View Post
If it cools the oil better, where do you think that extra heat removed from the oil going????
How'bout!?

1.) The new air stream outs the back. But, that air stream is HOT!

And like the vender said it's omitted by the move, most significantly!

But, yes - where's the data!?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-29-2017 at 09:23 PM.
johnglenntwo is online now  
Old 05-29-2017, 09:26 PM
  #16  
[email protected]
Supporting Vendor
 
Joe@CPR's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2009
Location: Mesa Az
Posts: 2,853
Thanked 308 Times in 251 Posts
Default

we use/sell the prospeed oil cooler kit on our c7z customers and c7 customers that road race. works wonders and fits amazing.
__________________
Cordes Performance Racing aka "CPR"
Owner of AZ's premier LSX/LTX motorsports shop
http://cordesperformanceracing.com/
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
[email protected]
480-359-5914

Joe@CPR is offline  
Old 05-29-2017, 09:58 PM
  #17  
johnglenntwo
CF Senior Member
 
johnglenntwo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Beaverton OR
Posts: 7,488
Thanked 141 Times in 125 Posts
Default Okay, is the brake cooling symmetrical?

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
we use/sell the prospeed oil cooler kit on our c7z customers and c7 customers that road race. works wonders and fits amazing.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-29-2017 at 10:00 PM.
johnglenntwo is online now  
Old 05-29-2017, 10:00 PM
  #18  
Boba Fett
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Boba Fett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2011
Location: Shits Creek NY
Posts: 10,112
Thanked 414 Times in 303 Posts
Default

sub'd
Boba Fett is offline  
Old 05-29-2017, 10:14 PM
  #19  
Tom DeWitt
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Tom DeWitt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2000
Location: Howell Mi Michigan
Posts: 4,917
Thanked 288 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
we use/sell the prospeed oil cooler kit on our c7z customers and c7 customers that road race. works wonders and fits amazing.
Joe, that is a nice system. It takes the engine oil heat off the coolant system and exhausts it out through the wheel well and that was part (#1 and #2) of the criteria behind our new design.

We wanted to create a package that :
1. Removed the Engine oil heat from the coolant (Delete Brick)
2. Exhaust the above heat without going through the HX or radiator
3. Did not require removing or altering the front fascia
4. Use the same factory lines for TOC (A8)
5. Mount in existing A8 TOC bolt pattern (Or GMPP)
6. Affordable pricing

I feel this new system accomplishes all the above requirements.
Tom DeWitt is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom DeWitt For This Useful Post:
edster75 (05-31-2017), onfire (05-29-2017), thebishman (05-30-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 10:22 PM
  #20  
onfire
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 1999
Location: Abingdon VA
Posts: 1,217
Thanked 56 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt View Post
Joe, that is a nice system. It takes the engine oil heat off the coolant system and exhausts it out through the wheel well and that was part (#1 and #2) of the criteria behind our new design.

We wanted to create a package that :
1. Removed the Engine oil heat from the coolant (Delete Brick)
2. Exhaust the above heat without going through the HX or radiator
3. Did not require removing or altering the front fascia
4. Use the same factory lines for TOC (A8)
5. Mount in existing A8 TOC bolt pattern (Or GMPP)
6. Affordable pricing

I feel this new system accomplishes all the above requirements.
System design sounds great. What oil and coolant temps are you expecting/tested ?
onfire is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I take it an oil cooler didn't solve overheating?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: