C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Epic wreck, "racecar driver" from Pa in Dec on the bald Cup2's? Now ya did it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 06:33 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Jesse
Always boils down to common sense.
Problem is it isn't common...

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 12-05-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:12 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by feeder82
I wish there was video, like to see how the hell he did that
I hope he's a member and has PDR lol

But yea... this is exactly why I swapped my Sport cup 2 for supersports the day I got the car. Even on the supersports I baby the crap out of it if it's under 60 degrees out.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:48 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by dar02081961

Keep in mind:

1. The car takes into account the tire temps and dials back torque based on predicted traction for the OEM tires at that temp.

I would love to hear more about this, and how it is incorporated into the ECM.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:51 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Chan
darwin
at least it didn’t catch fire like the Paul walker Porsche.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:26 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

I get a laugh when guys want to drive these beasts in the winter.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:27 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Sent from a friend in Pa. Word is, no passenger and the guy walked away Surprised insurance will pay for these accidents. Bald Cup2's, Dec surface temps in Pa (this is a WV border area)....just cause the sun is shinin doesn't make it all good.

they come bald from the factory.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't think you have to be "way outside the limits" of the car, the tires, or anything else. Just a tad over, lose control, don't know what to do, or what you do won't save you anyway depending on amount of "real estate" to do what's needed. Doesn't take a lot to go past all the things to save you including your tires. And those tires typically come new with a pretty smooth surface, ideal for some track conditions. But streets? hmmmm.....
Old 12-05-2017, 08:50 PM
tones_Z
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by feeder82
I wish there was video, like to see how the hell he did that
Me too.
Probably going around a corner and gave it some gas and car got away from him is what I'm guessing. Those rear tires were bald, no traction there,....."especially" on cold pavement.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

My last PB at Watkins Glen was on rear tires that looked close to those. Sure looks to me like the outside of the tire is rounded off like a track tire. Those Cup2's stick like glue until the cords, on my car anyways at proper temps. My right sided thinking blames the guys right foot

Blessed he walk away, tells the integrity of these VERY well built cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mad Dog 24:
C7sebringgs (12-31-2020), mhpearlman (12-31-2020)
Old 12-05-2017, 09:16 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by lordofwar

He was doing a tale of the dragon practice run!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

First, you don't know what caused the accident.

Second, Bald tires aren't an issue on dry pavement as they have more surface contacting the pavement (ever hear of slicks). Slicks or bald tires can be a problem in heavy rain but in light rain there may not be much of a problem.

Third, a lot of people think things like this happen because a driver jumps on the throttle and spins the tires when it is more probable the driver actually took his foot off the gas got into a trailing throttle oversteer situation and didn't have a clue on how to regain control. There are a lot of accidents like this all over the country involving many brands of cars and most of them are due to the driver lifting at the wrong time. Any time you see a set of skid marks curving off into the inside of a turn you can be fairly certain the driver thought they were going too fast for the turn, panic'd and took their foot off the throttle too abruptly.

Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
golden2husky (12-07-2017), Newton06 (12-05-2017), WilliamCall (12-18-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 09:33 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

This would be the case except the OEMs put several nannies on the car to preclude this situation even with bald or cold tires.
And GM offers discounts to all original owners to an advance driving school to "train" owners to deal with the cars dynamics and demonstrate the cars capabilities.

Keep in mind:

1. The car takes into account the tire temps and dials back torque based on predicted traction for the OEM tires at that temp.

2. The stability control (yaw control) system has control over individual wheel braking to keep the car pointed in the direction the driver points the wheel.

3. Traction Control has control over the throttle and the brakes to eliminate wheel slip under acceleration when the available traction is limited or lost.

4. It takes a deliberate effort to override these protections.

I wasn't there but the conditions that allow this to happen on the street could only occur if the driver disabled some if not all of the nannies or was way outside the limit of safe speeds on public roads. This is of course assuming this is a one vehicle accident and the driver wasn't forced off the road or distracted or a mechanical component broke or some outside cause of that nature.

This is precisely why the nannies have names like "traction control" "Stability control" "Performance Traction Management" and selections like Touring vs "TRACK". Hints to any reasonable person.

Its very hard to get to the point where the car doesn't save itself or a dumb driver.... unless the driver is just dumb enough to ignore all those warning names (mentioned above) when disabling nannies and the yellow Corvette caution icon with the skid marks behind it on the dash. Or the warnings that come up in the DIC.

I am the last one to criticize anyone for pushing the envelope and losing a car. Happens to the best of us. But to say its the manufactures fault is a bit of a stretch. Its like folks with pit bulls saying I didn't know he would eat the baby? Yea ok.
You hold too much trust in those nannies..... speed, left turn and he may of just ran out of experience.. Those nannies aren't going to do **** to save you flying off the road into a house..

Last edited by NASTYC7; 12-05-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:53 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by erick_e
I would love to hear more about this, and how it is incorporated into the ECM.
Wouldn't we all? Not a whole lot available on exactly how tire temps are integrated into control module logic. Probably TCM and/or ECM but I don't know anyone who has had GM explain it entirely.

Motor Trend article.

"Smart Tires

A patented monitoring system combines data coming from the valve-stem sensors with calculations based on cornering, braking, and burnouts to infer instantaneous tire tread temperature. This information then informs the ABS, electronic limited-slip differential, StabiliTrak, and other systems to optimize performance, assuming that cold tires (below 45 degrees) generate 70 percent of peak grip, warm ones (45-115) can provide 90 percent,
and hot ones get
100 percent."

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...51-first-test/

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...ut-the-c7.html

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ad-test-review (6th or 7th paragraph.)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
First, you don't know what caused the accident.

Second, Bald tires aren't an issue on dry pavement as they have more surface contacting the pavement (ever hear of slicks). Slicks or bald tires can be a problem in heavy rain but in light rain there may not be much of a problem.

Third, a lot of people think things like this happen because a driver jumps on the throttle and spins the tires when it is more probable the driver actually took his foot off the gas got into a trailing throttle oversteer situation and didn't have a clue on how to regain control. There are a lot of accidents like this all over the country involving many brands of cars and most of them are due to the driver lifting at the wrong time. Any time you see a set of skid marks curving off into the inside of a turn you can be fairly certain the driver thought they were going too fast for the turn, panic'd and took their foot off the throttle too abruptly.

Bill
My favorite mid turn mistake(as long as there isnt a wreck or injury) is when a green motor cycle rider grabs the brake .
Old 12-05-2017, 10:18 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NASTYC7
You hold too much trust in those nannies..... speed, left turn and he may of just ran out of experience.. Those nannies aren't going to do **** to save you flying off the road into a house..
You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Or perhaps you aren't thinking about how what you are saying sounds.

Stability control saves Corvettes and any manner of cars from leaving the roadway daily around the globe. Often times smug folks aren't even aware the systems saved them. If traction is available and you continue to drive the car you'd be surprised how often and how well the nannies help you get out of trouble.

If the driver quit driving or ran out of experience as you suggest then yes you may be correct, hard to save a car without a driver.

However going to the extreme and saying "they aren't going to do sh*t to save you" you would be completely wrong.

I have been saved or at the very least helped many times over the last 18 years of driving Corvettes since these systems started appearing on Vettes.

And unless you drive like granny or only in excellent conditions you have to. Weather you admit it or not. Plenty of examples of these systems saving lives and damage to cars. It happens so often these days folks think its routine. Or worse yet they think they saved the car all on their own with superior driving skill. LOL

Read up on stability control. If it didn't work they wouldn't have ruled it out of F1 for so many years.

Last edited by dar02081961; 12-05-2017 at 10:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rikhek (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:19 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Sent from a friend in Pa. Word is, no passenger and the guy walked away Surprised insurance will pay for these accidents. Bald Cup2's, Dec surface temps in Pa (this is a WV border area)....just cause the sun is shinin doesn't make it all good.

I am so sorry to see the accident, and glad nobody was injured. So.. whats the word on the alternator? I'm looking to buy one if its available..

Originally Posted by ClydeFrog
I believe Ant is looking for an alternator lol.
Dude good lookin out! As soon as I saw it I thought the same thing.. LOL

Last edited by FYREANT; 12-05-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:51 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

All the fueding in here over wording and the hows and whys is comical as hell thats all I know...lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Epic wreck, "racecar driver" from Pa in Dec on the bald Cup2's? Now ya did it!

Old 12-05-2017, 11:28 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

did they cut the floor and pull him out the pass side floor/seat?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:34 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lordofwar
Yea works both ways.

I get a laugh at folks that think these cars are only for warm weather and pretty days.

Other than the summer tires which are the default on most sports cars, these cars are made to drive daily in most any conditions. Thats what separates them from most super cars. It doesn't have AWD but other than that all the blocks are checked.

I have driven my Vettes daily year round, even on the autobahn in snow and rain. Don't let the summer tires fool you, the designers know some folks will drive these cars daily on the daily commute regardless of weather and they kept that in mind. Hence the weather mode. And in PTM the "wet" setting. Don't believe that nonsense about these being "waxer" cars.

Last edited by dar02081961; 12-05-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:42 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Or perhaps you aren't thinking about how what you are saying sounds.

Stability control saves Corvettes and any manner of cars from leaving the roadway daily around the globe. Often times smug folks aren't even aware the systems saved them. If traction is available and you continue to drive the car you'd be surprised how often and how well the nannies help you get out of trouble.

If the driver quit driving or ran out of experience as you suggest then yes you may be correct, hard to save a car without a driver.

However going to the extreme and saying "they aren't going to do sh*t to save you" you would be completely wrong.

I have been saved or at the very least helped many times over the last 18 years of driving Corvettes since these systems started appearing on Vettes.

And unless you drive like granny or only in excellent conditions you have to. Weather you admit it or not. Plenty of examples of these systems saving lives and damage to cars. It happens so often these days folks think its routine. Or worse yet they think they saved the car all on their own with superior driving skill. LOL

Read up on stability control. If it didn't work they wouldn't have ruled it out of F1 for so many years.
Stabilitrak & AH are safety nets not guardian angels.

I got into a rather unexpected 4-wheel slide coming out of T1 at VIR last weekend on cold Cup 2's in sport mode doing chase for holiday laps. I was being cautious too since it was the first session out of the day. Unless these tires have heat in them, they can be a real handful, even for experienced drivers.

I've also spun in T8 by lifting as Bill mentioned previously. Driver mistake (albeit with crummy OEM rear caster settings) but the nannies didn't save me.

Do they help? Without a doubt.

Will they save each and every potential wreck scenario? Not even close.

Last edited by Newton06; 12-05-2017 at 11:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
motodavid2000 (12-06-2017)

Quick Reply: Epic wreck, "racecar driver" from Pa in Dec on the bald Cup2's? Now ya did it!