C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 Alignment

Old 01-14-2018, 11:13 AM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
First oil/filter change and alignment check sounds about right to me.

If you get it done before 6 months ownership and less than 7,000 miles, the dealer will do it free under warranty (just tell them is pulls some). More important is the dealer having the tools and experience for the rear adjustment. My factory settings were actually very good including the rear adjustments however I elected to have my camber set at -0.5 vs. -1.2 as I don't track the car. The tech recommended this to me so the tires will last longer due to the normal inner wear. I set mine up that way and I really can't tell the difference on the street after the alignment and so far with 5,500 miles I do not have any inner wear and very even wear. My .02.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:53 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo
Would it be worth having the dealor do an alignment prior to them shipping me the car? It has 8 miles on it, or would that just be a waste of $$
A total waste imho. Get the car, get some miles on it and then get it professionally aligned using the street DSC settings.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 12:00 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by SLEEKVET

If you get it done before 6 months ownership and less than 7,000 miles, the dealer will do it free under warranty (just tell them is pulls some). More important is the dealer having the tools and experience for the rear adjustment. My factory settings were actually very good including the rear adjustments however I elected to have my camber set at -0.5 vs. -1.2 as I don't track the car. The tech recommended this to me so the tires will last longer due to the normal inner wear. I set mine up that way and I really can't tell the difference on the street after the alignment and so far with 5,500 miles I do not have any inner wear and very even wear. My .02.
So the engineers, (primarily the suspension engineers who are guys and gals far smarter than your tech tbh), calculated that the correct street settings for handling and safety were a certain set of ‘numbers’ of which the correct camber is more than -0.5. -1.2 sounds about right from my memory of the recommended factory settings. As long as the toe is set correctly you aren’t going to destroy your tyres running the correct camber on the street, and your car will handle better.
YMMV though.

Bish
Old 01-14-2018, 02:41 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman

A total waste imho. Get the car, get some miles on it and then get it professionally aligned using the street DSC settings.
Will do !!! Thanks Bish
Old 01-15-2018, 07:47 PM
RIRENTERC6
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a routine oil change appointment the dealership told me I needed an alignment badly. So i decided to drop my car off today for the work. I have a 2016 Z06 with Z07 package. Can someone tell me if I really needed one and if they did a decent job? I have attached an image of the results given to me. This is my daily driver. It will Never will be tracked. Thank you for your input.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2018, 08:08 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Did they check the rear caster?
Old 01-15-2018, 09:38 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Are you planning on tracking it? I actually think the front camber was better before but the caster was a little off and the front toe was definitely off. Toe is really the most important thing to get right as it is what will cause excessive wear and can have a dramatic effect on steering feel.
RIRENTERC6 (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 09:55 PM
RIRENTERC6
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Are you planning on tracking it? I actually think the front camber was better before but the caster was a little off and the front toe was definitely off. Toe is really the most important thing to get right as it is what will cause excessive wear and can have a dramatic effect on steering feel.

No plans to track car. Bought a Z07 because I was able to get a really good deal on it.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:39 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 422 Posts

I wonder why the "specified range" of the front camber is different for all 3 measurements? (left, right, and overall)
Old 01-16-2018, 11:31 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Good info.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:26 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 692 Likes on 403 Posts

I will start this up again since it was a year ago and tell you my story on my 19 Z06 alignment. Maybe this has happen to someone else. So I have my appointment setup for this past Monday to have my first oil change done at 500 miles and also I wanted the alignment done to set it up for less aggressive since I don’t track my Z. My dealership has done numerous C7 corvette alignments with no issues that I’m aware of. I talked to the mechanic they have and went over everything I wanted done. I figure this should be know big deal because I felt confident that this dealership they use the same mechanic for all the Vettes. They don’t use any other mechanics but him. I asked him for a print out of my factory specs before and after. I did not take a picture of my specs yet on my phone because of all my crazy work hours this week. I will post one. So I’m no mechanic and all I can do is compare on the Forum what other guys are getting on there specs.’But looking at my factory specs on the printout sheet they did not look really bad and he also said too. But he said just with 500 miles on the car you could see a slight wear on the tires already. He made adjustments and gave me the printout of the after setting . Now granted the car felt good and drove and handled really good before the alignment. But I wanted better life out of my tires. I did the same thing with my C5 Z06. So here is what happens on the way home from the dealership. The car felt great and I do mostly highway to get home. About 10 miles away from the dealership the steering wheel instead of being straight which it was up to this point it changed and now it is about 3:00 to the right. The *** end felt like it wanted to come around on me. So I call the dealership back right away after I pulled over. They tell me to bring it back. I leave the car there and picked it back up today and spoke to the mechanic. Still got a new printout sheet from the alignment. He cannot answer why this happen but as I was driving it home the Toe went out in the rear a lot and threw everything off. So if anyone has a answer for why that would of happen. But for the long story. The car feels better now than factory settings. My drive home from the dealer is about 23 miles and it felt awesome!!

Last edited by ZO6 cracker; 06-25-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Sounds like one or more cams on the lower control arms weren't tightened properly and slipped that will change camber thus changing caster and toe as well. They are spec'd to be tightened to 125 ft lbs and a lot of mechanics have a hard generating that much torque on the bolt due to the location.

Bill
RocksZC7 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 12:05 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 692 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Sounds like one or more cams on the lower control arms weren't tightened properly and slipped that will change camber thus changing caster and toe as well. They are spec'd to be tightened to 125 ft lbs and a lot of mechanics have a hard generating that much torque on the bolt due to the location.

Bill
Thanks Bill,
Well explained!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06 Alignment