C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Brake Pads choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 02:52 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by gve
I don’t know where you heard the Carbotechs last longer vs Powerstops. I have over 20,000 on my Powerstops and they aren’t even close to being half worn down.
Im just trying to keep the dust off the wheels , for me to drive 40,000 miles ( assuming they would be worn out by then) well , thats about another 6 years of driving for me , so , well worth it i think . I ordered the Powerstops , now , just need to find out whats the best Ceramic coating to put on the rims
Old 03-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by mdolandese
But the carbotech last a lot longer I heard, with NO discoloring.I guess in this situation you don't get what you pay for? I'd rather pay more with no discoloring and not worry about changing my pads for a very longtime. [especially if you pay to have them done] I'm very OCD and the worst for me is DISCOLORING ROTORS don't even want to think about it. Just my opinion What ever makes you happy and confident. I guess its all a preference
never had a discolor problem on my rotors with ps z26 . But if or when I do, it’s easy enough to power wash them. They work great and are easy to install if you are inclined to do so
Old 03-05-2018, 03:04 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Allen_B
Thread has been open for almost 12 hours and Adam hasn't chimed in? That's odd.

Allen
It took adam a while because he couldn’t find his cut and paste soliloquy on the carbotech pads.
The following users liked this post:
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com (03-05-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 09:29 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by gve
Powerstops have less dust then the Carbotechs and cost less.
Here’s a test that I did a few years back.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rake-dust.html
Gotta love Amazon , ordered Friday night , here on Tuesday after work. Fast delivery and great price
Old 03-06-2018, 10:24 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

Powerstop Z26s Very happy with them.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:56 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by Joy c7
Powerstop Z26s Very happy with them.
Anyone install them yourself ? How eassy or difficult are the pads to replace ?
Old 03-07-2018, 02:13 PM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazman1960
Anyone install them yourself ? How eassy or difficult are the pads to replace ?
Very easy, you just need a punch tool set to push out the pins and the front ones also have a bolt. I'm a novice and did all 4 in about an hour. YouTube has videos.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by SLEEKVET
Very easy, you just need a punch tool set to push out the pins and the front ones also have a bolt. I'm a novice and did all 4 in about an hour. YouTube has videos.
Right on , thanks for the reply , ill check the video and ,make sure the Wife feels comfortable trying it lol
Old 03-07-2018, 03:31 PM
hebegb
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Powerstops are great. I only get discoloration when the car is washed as the rotors do rust.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:26 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by hebegb
Powerstops are great. I only get discoloration when the car is washed as the rotors do rust.
That's the only time i see a rust color appearing , water or sometimes what ever i use as a quick detailer will make them turn brownish , however , once you touch the brakes , it comes off again . Unlike the dust from the stock pads .
Old 03-12-2018, 07:54 PM
ken zuromski
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2017 Z51 and I want to put the Powerstop Z26 on. Can anyone share the part numbers for the front and rear pads?
Old 03-12-2018, 08:03 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by ken zuromski
I have a 2017 Z51 and I want to put the Powerstop Z26 on. Can anyone share the part numbers for the front and rear pads?
Power Stop Z26-1718 Z26 Extreme Performance Carbon-Ceramic Rear Brake Pad Rears

Power Stop Z26-1405 Z26 Extreme Performance Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pad Fronts . This is on the Z06 , check to see if they will fit Z51 package
Old 03-12-2018, 09:07 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the informative thread!

I put my Power Stops on over this past weekend. The brakes were easy, it was cleaning up everything in the wheel wells that was time consuming.

Harbor freight had a sale over the weekend, I picked up a torque wrench for the lugs and a set of punches on Saturday, did brakes on Sunday.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:00 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

May be a bit late for you but for others, while the wheels are off, cleaning them well and then ceramic coating the barrels and the spokes will keep that final bit of brake dust from collecting on the wheels. I virtually never clean my wheels any longer. Carbotech 1521s plus Ceramic Coating=nirvana.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by SLEEKVET
Doing the brake pads now , stupid question i guess but......do you apply the lube to the side of the pads that face the brake rotor or the "smooth "side of the pad ?
Old 03-18-2018, 05:02 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Doing the brake pads now , stupid question i guess but......do you apply the lube to the side of the pads that face the brake rotor or the "smooth "side of the pad ?
do not put the grease on the pad that faces the rotor. The grease goes on the back side of the pad that the piston in the caliper presses against and on the metal edges of the pad that slide along the caliper. Do not use brake cleaner on the rotor. If that gets on the caliper it will ruin the finishing. Lightly sand the rotor and use isopropyl alcohol you might buy at the drug store and soak a paper towel with it and wipe down the rotor.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 03-18-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:06 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

do not put the grease on the pad that faces the rotor. The grease goes on the back side of the pad that the piston in the caliper presses against and on the metal edges of the pad that slide along the caliper. Do not use brake cleaner on the rotor. If that gets on the caliper it will ruin the finishing. Lightly sand the rotor and use isopropyl alcohol you might buy at the drug store and soak a paper towel with it and wipe down the rotor.
Right on , that's so much for the reply , gonna finish it now . First time for me lol

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pads choice

Old 03-18-2018, 05:19 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Right on , that's so much for the reply , gonna finish it now . First time for me lol
Don’t feel too bad. another forum member put the pads on backward on one of the rotors. He drove it for a bit and figured it out.

Just go go slow and take your time. For me the most time consuming part of the job was cleaning the wheels while they were off the Car.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:17 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

Well heres another Dumb question , i was feeling so good that i managed to install the new pads with little difficulty , after putting the wheel back on ( front ) i see the "ear " or Clip on the pad and its at the top , i thought to myself i don't remember it being that way before , i checked the other wheel with the old pads on it , sure enough , that "clip " is on the bottom question is , does it matter ? If so , ill jack it up again and redo it . Another question i guess is , does the inner pad also have the "clip " in the lower position ? Sorry for asking guys , i guess i should have paid more attention before doing this .
Old 03-18-2018, 09:04 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Well heres another Dumb question , i was feeling so good that i managed to install the new pads with little difficulty , after putting the wheel back on ( front ) i see the "ear " or Clip on the pad and its at the top , i thought to myself i don't remember it being that way before , i checked the other wheel with the old pads on it , sure enough , that "clip " is on the bottom question is , does it matter ? If so , ill jack it up again and redo it . Another question i guess is , does the inner pad also have the "clip " in the lower position ? Sorry for asking guys , i guess i should have paid more attention before doing this .
there are clips on top of the pads each caliper. One clip covers both pads. You have to push them down and slide the pins over the top of the clips. When you push those pins through the clip the clip springs upward and puts pressure on the pin. Then you have to tamp the pin through — I did this with a small ball peen hammer then I used a small drill bit I broke in half placed on the back side of the pin to tamp it all the way through until it stops. Those clips need to be in there. The powerstops I bought had new clips in the box. I did use the new clips and saved my old pads with the old clips in the power stop box.

Check out youtube. Do search on c7z06 pad replacement. You’ll see what I am talking about

As as far as clips. You may also be referring to the wear sensor. They look like a little hook. Those were on the inside pad of each pad facing downward as I recall. Just in case that’s what you are referring to. If you want take a picture of the clip and post it. And that can help me guide you.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 03-18-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads choice