C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Hellcat and Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:18 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
They are. I love my Z. But i do know it's not the fastest. If i pour money into it, i can be one of the fastest in my area, but then what does that give me? Bragging rights? To who? Random people i encounter? lol

The car is pretty fast already, i didn't get the car dynoed but i did do the "big 3 mods" so maybe 620rwhp? If that? It's definitely a fast car.

But these days, there are too many fast cars out there. The M cars, the AMG's, the dodge powerhouse machines, the new GT500 that's coming out, the GTR's, all of them lol.

I know we all own corvettes so in our mind, it's the best car and nothing is faster lol. Until you encounter someone who is. If you beat a car, that's great, but then that just means there's other cars out there that could beat you, if you let them. Unless you're the type of owner that cherry picks his races, only race when you know you're going to win lmao.

I'm done with this car though. Just gonna enjoy it for the remaining 2 years until the warranty is up, then it's time for a new toy. Maybe the C8, maybe a GTR, or the GT500, or even the F90 M5 i'm thinking about. Or maybe a 911 turbo s.

So many nice cars out there, that are insanely fast.
I work in the auto industry and work at a Lexus dealership as a sales manager. I recently attended the Ft Lauderdale auto show and in general (not just performance cars) there are really no bad cars out there anymore. I was extremely impressed by the Kia Stinger and the Cadillac ct6 with all its bells and whistles. The hyundai genesis g90 was amazing as well. Id be happy with any of them in my drive way if I was looking for a average car that is fun to drive if I had a wife n kids and wanted a nice safe car. But since I am single with no wife n kids and drive only 5k miles a year I can make it work with a 18 z06 as my only car and daily driver.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:21 PM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

^ if I had the means I'd get a 720s to daily. Weekend track rat would be a viper acr since I want an NA manual car.

Amg e63s for rainy daily driver days.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by serpent
^ if I had the means I'd get a 720s to daily. Weekend track rat would be a viper acr since I want an NA manual car.

If I win the powerball id get cars like that and move to vegas and hang out at the pools of the Bellagio and the Wynn daily to pick up girls.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:09 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

great steering wheel/seats

Raptor lurking in background

i would polish the blower fo sho
Yeah well- I educated myself further on the topic & decided to go test drive a hellcat (Charger) for myself. As mentioned I do have a modded (440ish whp) C5Z & was contemplating either a) putting a&a blower on it, b) swapping it + cash on a new vette/camaro either C6ZR1 or New ZL1/1LE Camarillo or C7Z (almost got an ‘18 C7Z M7 leftover for mid $60k but my paid-for GMC Sierra got totaled by a deer so my “Z06 fund” got depleted when I replaced the truck w/ a new Raptor- I either pay for cars in full or keep the loans to under $15k), or c) swapping C5Z out for a muscle car I could put a car seat in so my son & wife would come with me etc. like a challenger/charger/SS/G8/CTSv etc

bahahhahahahahahahahahhahahbahahhah @ anyone who thinks a Hellcat is a match for a damn C7Z - it isn’t a match for my canned/bolted C5Z. It sure as hell sounds the part, & puts grins on ya face, & rides extremely comfortable, but it cannot handle/corner/or pull like a vette. It has the power but most of the time the wheels are spinning in motion sacrificing traction. Granted the one I drove wasn’t a wide body had measly 275s out back, but it simply is too heavy in general. I felt the weight all over the place- while it certainly felt more powerful than the 485hp SRT8 challenger I had previously driven, I’m not so sure how much faster it is on the street in the real world. It simply can’t hook up & is a fat damn pig.

great car but just totally different from a vette- my minds made up to keep my C5Z put the blower on it & it’ll be as fast/powerful as anything I could possibly want, and to keep it fun w/ the fam From a USABLE power/performance standpoint my Raptor on the street in sport mode & w/ transfer case in AWD is plenty especially when I put a tune on it gaining +100 hp/tq

how is it even possible you guys who own both are entertaining this discussion? I get that it “feels” & “sounds” fast - and it certainly is powerful, but the performance is very limited to a straight line hole shot in dry pavement. Otherwise it’s about as fun as driving any other charger- if they made it w/ a stick shift different story.

Added some pics in case ya'll think I'm trolling. From my perspective vs. driving my C5Z on the same exact roads its almost as if the charger hellcat may be faster in 500hp mode vs. full power, I felt like as soon as the boost fully kicked in & the thing was starting to really pull it would simultaneously start losing traction & cooking the tires, I'm certain it was spinning the tires on highway downshifts @ like 70 mph full throttle mashing vs. hooking in 500hp mode.

My biggest takeaway is still simply how comfy it rode given the power/intentions of the car.

Last edited by C5Dobie; 06-18-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:12 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,147 Posts

Originally Posted by serpent

You have good taste.

But a HC charger is a good daily driver too. My buddy daily drives his all the time. And his buddies do to. Lots of buddies who have cool buddy cars lmao

And of course you know the HC will be right there with the Z. So if you can manage both the HC and Z, you have a perfect garage. Both trap about the same, however the HC has the better auto trans. But the Z looks better.

So why not just have both? lol
Old 06-17-2019, 10:55 AM
probabilist
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default ~1000 miles so far with 2019 Hellcat Challenger

As people have noted the Hellcat sounds really good--even better than my C7 Z06(which sounds great!!). Clearly it doesn't handle like the Z06 but it is a competent handler and great in straight line. What a time to have American hot rods!!!!!! They are both awesome.
The following 3 users liked this post by probabilist:
C5Dobie (06-17-2019), tzoid9 (06-17-2019), Z0HS1CK (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 10:10 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by probabilist
As people have noted the Hellcat sounds really good--even better than my C7 Z06(which sounds great!!). Clearly it doesn't handle like the Z06 but it is a competent handler and great in straight line. What a time to have American hot rods!!!!!! They are both awesome.
Yeah, I agree with you whole heartedly. But the noise, oh that Hellcat scream! I've owned several forced air cars in my lifetime (Grand National, Syclone, Typhoon, GT-R, two C7 Z06's and a Challenger Hellcat). Never ever had ANY scream the way the Hellcat and Demon do...it is thoroughly intoxicating! If you've never seen it, this is the Demon advertisement......
Old 06-19-2019, 08:19 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I consider myself a car guy, not just a Corvette guy. As you said, there are some amazing cars out there today. I grew up in the 50's and 60's and performance cars back then don't hold a candle to today's cars. I'd get a Hellcat Charger in a minute. There's something fascinating to me about a big 4-door being that quick.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 08:52 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I consider myself a car guy, not just a Corvette guy. As you said, there are some amazing cars out there today. I grew up in the 50's and 60's and performance cars back then don't hold a candle to today's cars. I'd get a Hellcat Charger in a minute. There's something fascinating to me about a big 4-door being that quick.

Same with me. I'm not a Corvette guy. I love my z. But the first chance I get in replacing it with something better I will.

Like a 911 turbo s
Old 06-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Trackhawkz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie

great steering wheel/seats

Raptor lurking in background

i would polish the blower fo sho
Yeah well- I educated myself further on the topic & decided to go test drive a hellcat (Charger) for myself. As mentioned I do have a modded (440ish whp) C5Z & was contemplating either a) putting a&a blower on it, b) swapping it + cash on a new vette/camaro either C6ZR1 or New ZL1/1LE Camarillo or C7Z (almost got an ‘18 C7Z M7 leftover for mid $60k but my paid-for GMC Sierra got totaled by a deer so my “Z06 fund” got depleted when I replaced the truck w/ a new Raptor- I either pay for cars in full or keep the loans to under $15k), or c) swapping C5Z out for a muscle car I could put a car seat in so my son & wife would come with me etc. like a challenger/charger/SS/G8/CTSv etc

bahahhahahahahahahahahhahahbahahhah @ anyone who thinks a Hellcat is a match for a damn C7Z - it isn’t a match for my canned/bolted C5Z. It sure as hell sounds the part, & puts grins on ya face, & rides extremely comfortable, but it cannot handle/corner/or pull like a vette. It has the power but most of the time the wheels are spinning in motion sacrificing traction. Granted the one I drove wasn’t a wide body had measly 275s out back, but it simply is too heavy in general. I felt the weight all over the place- while it certainly felt more powerful than the 485hp SRT8 challenger I had previously driven, I’m not so sure how much faster it is on the street in the real world. It simply can’t hook up & is a fat damn pig.

great car but just totally different from a vette- my minds made up to keep my C5Z put the blower on it & it’ll be as fast/powerful as anything I could possibly want, and to keep it fun w/ the fam From a USABLE power/performance standpoint my Raptor on the street in sport mode & w/ transfer case in AWD is plenty especially when I put a tune on it gaining +100 hp/tq

how is it even possible you guys who own both are entertaining this discussion? I get that it “feels” & “sounds” fast - and it certainly is powerful, but the performance is very limited to a straight line hole shot in dry pavement. Otherwise it’s about as fun as driving any other charger- if they made it w/ a stick shift different story.

Added some pics in case ya'll think I'm trolling. From my perspective vs. driving my C5Z on the same exact roads its almost as if the charger hellcat may be faster in 500hp mode vs. full power, I felt like as soon as the boost fully kicked in & the thing was starting to really pull it would simultaneously start losing traction & cooking the tires, I'm certain it was spinning the tires on highway downshifts @ like 70 mph full throttle mashing vs. hooking in 500hp mode.

My biggest takeaway is still simply how comfy it rode given the power/intentions of the car.
I own a modded 2019 Subaru STi
Modded 2017 z06/07
2019 for Raptor
and a 2018 Jeep trackhawk.....

The hawk walks circles around the vette in a straight line........

Maybe try a trackhawk instead of a hellcat and your mind would change alittle.... getting 700 ponies to the ground is nice.
C5Dobie (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 11:23 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackhawkz06
Modded 2017 z06/07
2019 for Raptor

Maybe try a trackhawk instead of a hellcat and your mind would change alittle.... getting 700 ponies to the ground is nice.
Oh I don't doubt that for a second. For me the only thing the charger hellcat has going for it over the others is the price tag relative to the Challenger or Trackhawk - if the Charger had AWD or a stickshift would be a different story. The Trackhawk is sneakily the most insane mass produced stock factory vehicle ever produced, period, & I don't even see that being up for debate. Of course that could change when the Ram TRX comes out (if it does) w/ the same Hellcat motor.

Do you have any mods on your Raptor? I'm def doing a tune/tranny cooler/deaver +3 leafs/Eibach leveling springs - dunno if I want to add FMIC or not as its simply an obvious "red flag" to the service techs & I have a 100k b2b extended warranty w/ it. I need to keep the 4 wheel toys to 2 right now w/ a 2nd baby boy on the way & I'm also getting a new Yamaha waverunner shortly - so for me the Raptor/C5Z combo is great especially if I can get some more performance out of the Raptor. Wife has an Acura MDX but she'll be getting the next new vehicle upgrade & I don't think I can get her to sign off on a Trackhawk lol, an SRT8 Jeep? Maybe, but I think we're gonna need a 3 row, Durango SRT8 maybe the ticket lol

One the things I like most about the Trackhawk as you mention the AWD is always there letting you actually make use of the power on a daily basis on the street, but also you gotta figure w/ Jeep honoring the same warranty as any other grand cherokee the drivetrain parts have GOT to be beefed up, probably even more so than w/ a Charger/Challenger. They KNOW people will be mashing the go pedal every stoplight w/ the Trackhawk the minute they leave the lot. If I bought it new I'd run it like a raped ape for the first 15-20k see if anything breaks- but like I said gotta imagine the bearings/diffs/axles/half shafts/driveshaft/yolk & pinion/Torque converter etc etc all are strengthened to deal w/ all the stress.

I'm going to hold on to my C5Z on fence to A&A it or not - will probably wait see what the lightly used C7Z market looks like as the C8's start hitting showrooms....

Great time to be a car guy these days without question.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:20 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,763 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Modded 2017 z06/07
2019 for Raptor

The hawk walks circles around the vette in a straight line........ to 60.. and then the Z is gone...

fixed it for you brother lol..

Here's one for you to compare.. look at the 0-100 timer on the trackhawk when you make a pull... then look at the Z06 same way.. Your trackhawk gets to 100 in the area of 7.5 to 8.0 is my guess (from experiencing other modified trackhawks).

the Z06 A8 bone stock does it in 7.0 and quicker.. on a stock tire..in the street. with a passenger..

put a sticky radial or a DR on the Z06 and it's closer to 6.2 to 100 bone stock..

the trackhawk is a HEAVY brick with awd. fast up to speed and then hits the wall. nice truck.. but not in the same league as a Z06 (as it shouldn't be).

now if your Z06 is stick? different story.. but not an A8

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 06-19-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:37 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Modded 2017 z06/07
2019 for Raptor

lol @ trackhawk running circles around the vette.

The trackhawk is an overpriced brick. And i actually like that truck. But the cost of them new is almost laughable. You do know they trap around 116ish stock right? The Z is mid 125ish stock. That's a gigantic gap.

Maybe 0-60 a hawk will destroy your typical Z, auto or manual because of the jeeps' AWD. But off a roll or just a 1/4 run and it will not "run circles".

The hellcat is faster. The hellcat is on par with the Z, at least in a straight line.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:49 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

For a guy that owns this iron...."I own a modded 2019 Subaru STi, modded 2017 z06/07', 2019 for Raptor and a 2018 Jeep trackhawk", I would have thought TrackhawkZ06 was a bit more experienced. Maybe when he said...."The hawk walks circles around the vette in a straight line........" he was talking about a Corvette Stingray.
Otherwise, I just don't get it....at all.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:13 PM
Trackhawkz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

lol @ trackhawk running circles around the vette.

The trackhawk is an overpriced brick. And i actually like that truck. But the cost of them new is almost laughable. You do know they trap around 116ish stock right? The Z is mid 125ish stock. That's a gigantic gap.

Maybe 0-60 a hawk will destroy your typical Z, auto or manual because of the jeeps' AWD. But off a roll or just a 1/4 run and it will not "run circles".

The hellcat is faster. The hellcat is on par with the Z, at least in a straight line.
Im not gonna sit here and point and laugh at peoples statements....
The only stock car i have is the Raptor... Ill take my opinions else where i guess.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:15 PM
Trackhawkz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tzoid9
For a guy that owns this iron...."I own a modded 2019 Subaru STi, modded 2017 z06/07', 2019 for Raptor and a 2018 Jeep trackhawk", I would have thought TrackhawkZ06 was a bit more experienced. Maybe when he said...."The hawk walks circles around the vette in a straight line........" he was talking about a Corvette Stingray.
Otherwise, I just don't get it....at all.
Thanks appreciate it
Old 06-19-2019, 09:18 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,763 Likes on 3,178 Posts

The hellcat is on par with the Z, at least in a straight line.
yep... 100% like on.....par...... but different....

that Hellcat Charger ALMOST pulled it off.....
Harbgrogan (06-22-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Hellcat and Z06

Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Im not gonna sit here and point and laugh at peoples statements....
The only stock car i have is the Raptor... Ill take my opinions else where i guess.

Not everyone is going to get a trackhawk and modify dude lol.

And what does a raptor have to do with this discussion?
Old 06-21-2019, 03:25 PM
probabilist
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default holding Hellcat with brake at long light

This question applies to our Z06's also. At a long light with my foot on the brake to keep the Hellcat still I sometimes worry that having the pads clamp at that one spot could warp/wear the rotors unevenly. My Z06 is a manual so new to me and the Hellcat seems to need a bit a brake pressure to hold it still. So I sometimes put it in neutral at long lights.....

Anyone else do this or am I being over cautious? Thanks
Old 06-22-2019, 06:44 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

This question applies to our Z06's also. At a long light with my foot on the brake to keep the Hellcat still I sometimes worry that having the pads clamp at that one spot could warp/wear the rotors unevenly. My Z06 is a manual so new to me and the Hellcat seems to need a bit a brake pressure to hold it still. So I sometimes put it in neutral at long lights.....

Anyone else do this or am I being over cautious? Thanks
I'm the same way. If it's really hot out or if i was doing spirited driving and i have to come to a complete stop, i'll either put it to neutral and use no brake if it's an even ground.

Or i'll just stop, but gently hold the brake pedal. To the point where it almost wants to roll still but doesn't because little brake is applied.

I know some people who freaking stomp on the brake pedal at every light. Those are the people who warped rotors.

Wait, you got a HC? Pics?? Those cars are beasts man!!

If you can manage both a HC and a Z, do it. Since they're both about equal, it's the best of both worlds!

Quick Reply: Hellcat and Z06