C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Soler Performance throttle body question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 02:21 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@SolerEngr
We've just got a Camaro SS (LT1) customer reporting a 12 HP gain with our TB. Would love to claim it, but we know it is not the TB, it is the Dyno.

So, you are absolutely right. BTW, the tip in improvement is due to power gains at part throttle. Notice when you come right off idle you are using very few HP's in the (10's) if you get a few more HP's there they mean a lot percentage wise. This is what I'd really like to Dyno.
I agree, accept for the amount of HP;From my seat of the pants experience with ported TBs the 'off idle' improvement takes more than just a 'few HP' moving a 3600 lb. plus with driver car and from what I read this new one is even better.

I have tried the Katech (with the machine down throttle shaft and CNC porting) which I added additional porting too and I also tried a 'out of the box' ZR1 95 mm throttle body with the adapter/spacer (no check engine light with either) looking for 'improved performance' in the 1/4 mile, Well I was wrong! So I reinstalled the stocker to go with the factory tune. I have an A8 so I really did not have a stumble problem, just needed to apply more pedal if I wanted to accelerate faster. However I have to say that both TBs 'delivered' on the off idle performance.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 06-21-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:44 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Received 530 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
I agree, accept for the amount of HP;From my seat of the pants experience with ported TBs the 'off idle' improvement takes more than just a 'few HP' moving a 3600 lb. plus with driver car and from what I read this new one is even better.

I have tried the Katech (with the machine down throttle shaft and CNC porting) which I added additional porting too and I also tried a 'out of the box' ZR1 95 mm throttle body with the adapter/spacer (no check engine light with either) looking for 'improved performance' in the 1/4 mile, Well I was wrong! So I reinstalled the stocker to go with the factory tune. I have an A8 so I really did not have a stumble problem, just needed to apply more pedal if I wanted to accelerate faster. However I have to say that both TBs 'delivered' on the off idle performance.
Makes sense, all the aftermarket PTB's we reverse engineered do not react until you hit about 25% throttle, ours react right off idle. Those grooves you see in our design running axially go down to find the blade down low and give the engine some extra air right off idle.
www.solerengineering.com

Last edited by Mike@SolerEngr; 06-21-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Default Free premium vinyl decals

*REPOST FROM ANOTHER THREAD FOR VISIBILITY*

Hello everyone, for a limited time we are giving away premium 3M "Soler Performance" Vinyl decals that can be applied safely to your car and are made with durability/quality in mind. This would be at no cost to you (shipping included).

If you are interested in one of these, please PM us here or via social media. Please include any social media tag name (e.g. @yourname, @solerperformance (ours), etc..). If you do not have any social media account(s), we ask to send us a picture with it on so we can feature in our website/Instagram/Facebook. More colors/letterings/styles/logos will be available in the near future for purchase or upon special request. For now, the only color available is white. LIMITED QUANTITIES and will be on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED BASIS. We will do a second round giveaway when a new batch arrives. #FeelTheDifference

(Apologies for the unwashed car, due to the high number of orders... The Soler Performace Corvette has been left unpampered. Also super excited for the giveaway and we wanted to waste no time).

Cheers,
Old 07-11-2019, 02:55 PM
QwikSilvr
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmith512
It will be the most satisfying 15 minute install of your life. I promise, the result is transformational. I went from "Seriously!? This is what I have to live with!?" with the stock TB, to "OMG I LOVE THIS CAR!" with the Soler MTB.
Exactly! I put mine on yesterday, didn't do any reset, just jumped in the car and began to drive it. I noticed a considerable difference within 30 or 40 miles. Transformed the car nearly instantly. Over the next couple of weeks, I anticipate that it will only get better. WELL worth the price of entry!!!

Frank
The following users liked this post:
Mike@SolerEngr (07-22-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 03:42 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

Is it really that much better than the Mamo ?
Old 09-28-2019, 03:29 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo
After 100 miles I would say yes. I'll know better after 1,000 miles. I talked with Mike and he told me to try his and if I didn't like it return it for a full refund and, since I liked the Mamo, buy a new Soler. I've had the Mamo for a year and a half and was happy with it. There was a little off idle stumble but nothing like the factory throttle body. If I hadn't tried the Soler I would have been fine with it. I'm not going to say it was night and day but it was enough difference that I sold the Mamo and kept the Soler.The only reason I got either of them was the off idle stumble. For me it was worth it even if I hadn't sold the Mamo.

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 09-29-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:49 PM
johnny3
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I love the improvement the Soler gave my 16 ZO6, & it's an A8, much better, smoother performance. Thanks to Mike.
SgtUsmc0313 (02-29-2020)
Old 09-28-2019, 08:57 PM
Gixxerman

Received 3,748 Likes on 2,126 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Installed it and started driving... no problems
Old 09-29-2019, 08:54 AM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo

BLUF- ported TB is NOT a HP mod, it is a throttle response mod. All this hooplah about one is better than the other pretty much has no REAL basis IMO.

BER and now EV has been doing hand ported intakes, TB, and heads for over 15 years now. Tony is a quality porter as shown by repeated evidence and RESULTS. I am sure Soler products are great. Katech, Peak, etc etc etc..................I will say it one more time ported TB is not a HP mod and anyone who says it is without VERIFIABLE, third party tested results is just making a statement without data basis.

I would offer this. Edgyvette is willing to provide one of our ported LT throttle bodies for head to head testing by a disinterested party. We will pay shipping and you can keep the TB after testing. I am now somewhat interested in how the Soler ported TB is so much better than all the other offerings. BER and EV have always been ready to put up or shut up and others who claim their product is superior to all others should be excited at the opportunity to prove it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s3-intake.html
JT Corvette (09-29-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 09:43 AM
CarAholic22
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Just want to point out there is a vast difference between just someone porting a throttle body to someone fully engineering one based on flow data. Can’t recommend Soler enough it’s an engineered product not just a standard port and polish job. Mike is also great to deal with.
The following 2 users liked this post by CarAholic22:
MotleyDrew (02-07-2020), Shawn_Randhawa (01-03-2020)
Old 09-29-2019, 09:48 AM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CarAholic22
Just want to point out there is a vast difference between just someone porting a throttle body to someone fully engineering one based on flow data. Can’t recommend Soler enough it’s an engineered product not just a standard port and polish job. Mike is also great to deal with.
So you are saying the Soler TB outperforms all others? I am seriously curious to find out if there is data to show this or if it is a seat of the pants dyno feeling? It does look amazing for sure.

I am holding back from showing the EV TB flow data because this is NOT about selling TBs. I am posting in this thread because I am truly intrigued.
JT Corvette (09-29-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 10:29 AM
CarAholic22
Advanced

Mike has posted a lot of data when designing his throttle body I have yet to see any from other manufacturers. It’s not just about maximum flow its about the area in between. Maximum flow is easy to accomplish, maximize the range to there is the difficult part. Maybe other manufacturers have fully tested and flow tested this during there design process. I have yet to see any of this posted. This throttle body was never intended to be an all out maximum horsepower numbers part it was about improving drivability under wide open throttle.

Originally Posted by Cajun @ Edgyvette
So you are saying the Soler TB outperforms all others? I am seriously curious to find out if there is data to show this or if it is a seat of the pants dyno feeling? It does look amazing for sure.

I am holding back from showing the EV TB flow data because this is NOT about selling TBs. I am posting in this thread because I am truly intrigued.
MotleyDrew (02-07-2020)
Old 09-29-2019, 10:33 AM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CarAholic22
Mike has posted a lot of data when designing his throttle body I have yet to see any from other manufacturers. It’s not just about maximum flow its about the area in between. Maximum flow is easy to accomplish, maximize the range to there is the difficult part. Maybe other manufacturers have fully tested and flow tested this during there design process. I have yet to see any of this posted. This throttle body was never intended to be an all out maximum horsepower numbers part it was about improving drivability under wide open throttle.
Ok so there is proof that the Soler porting method (engineering) is superior and produces superior power, driveability, etc? What is the cost?
Old 09-29-2019, 10:59 AM
CarAholic22
Advanced

Ok so there is proof that the Soler porting method (engineering) is superior and produces superior power, driveability, etc? What is the cost?
All of Mikes posted data can be found in a quick search if you want to see it.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:16 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default I have done some (Real World) track testing.

I have posted on this Soler thread in the past where Mike agreed that his TB does not increase HP but throttle response/drive-ability .

I have tried a Katech, then I ported it out to be a facsimile of a Mamo TB but with a Katech machined down throttle shaft; I called it a Tech-Mo TB ; it drove great (as expected) with 'no' dash light. I also tried the ZR1 95 mm TB with the spacer. Remember unless you port out the front of the supercharger inlet all the air going into the blower ends up going through the same size hole!

Throttle response was great on all the throttle bodies , however I gained 'ZERO' at the track where you go from 'zero to hero' on the pedal. So I put the stock TB back on and have lived happily ever after knowing that my stock tune/trans tune, etc. is completely in sync with the factory TB.

Tech-Mo Pic: I see no real restriction except for the size of the supercharger inlet which the rear of the TB matches. Depending on Mods an engine can only consume X-amount of air.

Edit: See post #16 & the likes at the bottom of the post.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 09-29-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:03 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

I have posted on this Soler thread in the past where Mike agreed that his TB does not increase HP but throttle response/drive-ability .

I have tried a Katech, then I ported it out to be a facsimile of a Mamo TB but with a Katech machined down throttle shaft; I called it a Tech-Mo TB ; it drove great (as expected) with 'no' dash light. I also tried the ZR1 95 mm TB with the spacer. Remember unless you port out the front of the supercharger inlet all the air going into the blower ends up going through the same size hole!

Throttle response was great on all the throttle bodies , however I gained 'ZERO' at the track where you go from 'zero to hero' on the pedal. So I put the stock TB back on and have lived happily ever after knowing that my stock tune/trans tune, etc. is completely in sync with the factory TB.

Tech-Mo Pic: I see no real restriction except for the size of the supercharger inlet which the rear of the TB matches. Depending on Mods an engine can only consume X-amount of air.

Edit: See post #16 & the likes at the bottom of the post.

And there it is folks. Thanks for the real world feedback and comparison. Any interest in trying an EV ported unit? We will pay shipping both ways. You just try it an share real, third party comparison info
Old 09-29-2019, 08:42 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

And there it is folks. Thanks for the real world feedback and comparison. Any interest in trying an EV ported unit? We will pay shipping both ways. You just try it an share real, third party comparison info
You know I wanted a few companies/vendors in the past to step up and send me their product to do a fair comparison, even stating the testing method I was going to use. No one ever took me up on the offer.

So I want to "Thank You" for the offer and maybe someone will step up. However after the testing I have done; Katech, modified Katech and a OEM ZR1 95 mm throttle body with spacer I'm done.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the 60 ft. time also did not improve either. This 2015 A8 Z06 can carry the groceries on the MPSS tires with only an AFE CAI and the stock tune. Time slip below: oem tires & wheels, AFE CAI (low flow dry filter) & stock tune.

Get notified of new replies

To Soler Performance throttle body question

Old 09-29-2019, 09:00 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

You know I wanted a few companies/vendors in the past to step up and send me their product to do a fair comparison, even stating the testing method I was going to use. No one ever took me up on the offer.

So I want to "Thank You" for the offer and maybe someone will step up. However after the testing I have done; Katech, modified Katech and a OEM ZR1 95 mm throttle body with spacer I'm done.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the 60 ft. time also did not improve either. This 2015 A8 Z06 can carry the groceries on the MPSS tires with only an AFE CAI and the stock tune. Time slip below: oem tires & wheels, AFE CAI (low flow dry filter) & stock tune.

Gotcha. Well let me know if you change your mind. We use our EV ported LT4 TB on our EV1150 turbo car. Supplies enough air to make 1130whp/1080 wtq on 22psi on stock heads, cam and bottom. We also tried a couple other options before realizing we gained nothing over our ported 78mm.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:00 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

This video just emerged today on youtube. Here you'll find some data and a review courtesy of Kyle @ Goat Rope Garage (Darth_Vader). He is a respected member at GM-Truck forums and surely knows what he is talking about.

Thanks,
Old 01-25-2020, 08:12 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Guys who did the 3 step quick learn..
When you go to 44MPH and let decelerate, how long do you let it go down to?
A few seconds and back up to 44, or let it coast down to 10-15MPH?

Quick Reply: Soler Performance throttle body question