C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Bruno's Track Thread: LG Cooling + Custom Aux Rad results

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 07:37 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts
Default Bruno's Track Thread: LG Cooling + Custom Aux Rad results

COTA - Post 72

SEE POST 34 FOR 103+ ambient track day.

SEE POST 17 FOR HOT TRACK RESULTS. 95 ambient

I finally was able to do some mild stress testing on my newly COOLED car. 2015 Z06, M7, otherwise stock.

I added/changed:
-LG twin heat exchanger kit (eliminates oem charge air hex)
-2019 A8 z06 OEM 52 mm radiator (replaces OEM 32 mm)
-LG oil cooler kit (setrab 420-14 + improved racing bypass block with 200*F thermostat)
-OEM charge air HEX mounted as secondary radiator (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...orizontal.html)
-summit 170 tstat bulb (in oem disc and housing)
-Heat wrapped exhaust near transmission (this has shown to be a surprisingly huge improvement on my previous car)
-Halltech no-tune intake
-80/20 water/dexcool mix
-Doubled the size of the fender hole above intake (this makes a slight whistle/whine audible). This was to increase air intake from hood seam.

Results:
Granted a "closed" road test isn't the best stress test for track cooling, my car isn't ready for track duty yet (brakes, alignment, tires still to go). I tried to hold RPMs high and use a lot of throttle to heat the car up. So far I am VERY happy with the cooling. See for yourselves, I'll update this thread once I get back on track. My home track is the same track that GSpeed and LG test at, it is one of, if not the, hottest track in the nation.

Disclaimer: THIS IS NOT TRACK DATA. The cursor is on a spot at the end of a high throttle % stint where trans temp is highest (which usually indicates load). Sadly my 2015 PDR does not have Intake Air Temp data but I had Torque running on my phone and it was showing about 8 above ambient while cruising. I was paying attention to the road on throttle.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 11-18-2019 at 07:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BrunoTheMellow:
360Lemans (06-05-2020), ajrothm (07-01-2019), LagunaSecaZ06 (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 01:48 PM
MCK_Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Nice! Im not surprised at all by your results.
I was about to ask how you got the oil so warm but had missed the t-stat on the oil cooler. I'm debating this as well because its a challenge in the winter heating it up depending on how cold it is out.

May just leave it as is though since Im not that concerned about moisture in the oil as I change my oil every 9mo no matter what, since I run full E85 99.9% of the time.
I can hold 2nd and wring it out a few times and get to oil up to around 198* and notice a few steam puffs come out of the hood vent above the oil breather tank which I assume is moisture coming out of the oil.
Also interesting that your 170* t-stat basically produces the same temps as my 160*. Im currently 300+hp over stock though so maybe that's it.

Is your only power mod the Halltech at this point and are you just running the OEM tank or two tanks?
Are you coming to the TMS track day on the 13th?

Oh, and where did you get the trans heat wrap? Mine doesn't seem to get hot but it sounds like a cheap mod that might pay off one day.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:03 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MCK_Z06
Nice! Im not surprised at all by your results.
I was about to ask how you got the oil so warm but had missed the t-stat on the oil cooler. I'm debating this as well because its a challenge in the winter heating it up depending on how cold it is out.

May just leave it as is though since Im not that concerned about moisture in the oil as I change my oil every 9mo no matter what, since I run full E85 99.9% of the time.
I can hold 2nd and wring it out a few times and get to oil up to around 198* and notice a few steam puffs come out of the hood vent above the oil breather tank which I assume is moisture coming out of the oil.
Also interesting that your 170* t-stat basically produces the same temps as my 160*. Im currently 300+hp over stock though so maybe that's it.

Is your only power mod the Halltech at this point and are you just running the OEM tank or two tanks?
Are you coming to the TMS track day on the 13th?

Oh, and where did you get the trans heat wrap? Mine doesn't seem to get hot but it sounds like a cheap mod that might pay off one day.
The tstat for oil is a must in my mind. Hell, in street driving my oil stays below 200°F so even the 10% that goes through the cooler and/or general engine temp by coolant is enough to keep it cool. I couldn't imagine using the entire oil cooler. I'd never be able to get up to temp.

My friend with just intake,pulley,tune has a 160 tstat and his car runs 170 on the dot. So i think the 160 tstat is closer to 166-168 or so.

Only power mod is halltech so far. Maaaaaybe I'll port the supercharger / upper pulley + tune but that would be it. But I really don't want to overwhelm the cooling .

I won't be making it to the TMS event. I'll make the 1.3 MSR event in August. I need time to get track wheels/tires (or at least cup 2s on the stock wheels, got All seasons right now), and a proper alignment with caster setup.

Trans wrap is ARTR titanium wrap on Amazon. Really you only need maybe 30 ft. Any brand titanium wrap is the same it seems.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:29 PM
MCK_Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
The tstat for oil is a must in my mind. Hell, in street driving my oil stays below 200°F so even the 10% that goes through the cooler and/or general engine temp by coolant is enough to keep it cool. I couldn't imagine using the entire oil cooler. I'd never be able to get up to temp.

My friend with just intake,pulley,tune has a 160 tstat and his car runs 170 on the dot. So i think the 160 tstat is closer to 166-168 or so.

Only power mod is halltech so far. Maaaaaybe I'll port the supercharger / upper pulley + tune but that would be it. But I really don't want to overwhelm the cooling .

I won't be making it to the TMS event. I'll make the 1.3 MSR event in August. I need time to get track wheels/tires (or at least cup 2s on the stock wheels, got All seasons right now), and a proper alignment with caster setup.

Trans wrap is ARTR titanium wrap on Amazon. Really you only need maybe 30 ft. Any brand titanium wrap is the same it seems.
Thanks for the info on the wrap.
Is this the August event? If so I'll sign up for that one as well.
THE LIST
Monday, August 5, 2019
Motorsport Ranch - Cresson, Cresson, TX

Since your local let me know in the future if you are interested in my ported blower that I replaced @ 6k miles with a 2300. The only thing is the snout is ported for a 103mm so you wont be able to run anything smaller for a TB unless you replace the snout with a stock one.
I also have a set of brand new 100 or less street miles (never heat cycled) cup 2's mounted on my OEM wheels I would sell locally cheap.
Originally was going to run my Toyo 19's on the street and use the Cup2's for track but got lazy and just never wanted to swap back and forth.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:08 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the info on the wrap.
Is this the August event? If so I'll sign up for that one as well.
THE LIST
Monday, August 5, 2019
Motorsport Ranch - Cresson, Cresson, TX

Since your local let me know in the future if you are interested in my ported blower that I replaced @ 6k miles with a 2300. The only thing is the snout is ported for a 103mm so you wont be able to run anything smaller for a TB unless you replace the snout with a stock one.
I also have a set of brand new 100 or less street miles (never heat cycled) cup 2's mounted on my OEM wheels I would sell locally cheap.
Originally was going to run my Toyo 19's on the street and use the Cup2's for track but got lazy and just never wanted to swap back and forth.
Thanks
Yes thats it.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:43 PM
MCK_Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is some more data to compare to since we have very similar setups with small variations. (not counting the driver)
Ran at TMS over the weekend which was pretty hot and as you know its a short track.

I missed a couple laps on a few sessions for the following reasons:
-Went for 3rd on the straight and hit 1st throwing me into "reduced power mode/max speed 32mph" causing me to have to hot pit and miss a couple of laps to stop & restart the car to clear limp mode.
-Jumped into the session with my hood not latched down... had to pit and have someone latch the hood, missed 2-3 laps.
-Entered the session late 1 lap in.

On my last two sessions I purposely tried to get the car hot by just keeping it in 2nd gear and running higher RPM's, except on the straight where I had to shift up to avoid the rev limiter.
This produced my highest oil and trans temps so far. BTW what is a hot or too hot transmission temperature?
Looks like it might be time to do those wraps.

Here is a session shifting normally: (using 2nd & 3rd around the track in various areas.)

Here is a later session, again shifting normally. (using 2nd or 3rd on various areas on the track.)

Here is a session where I intentionally tried to get the car hot. (held 2nd at higher RPM's everywhere except on the straight where I had to upshift.)

Here is the final session where I intentionally tried to get the car hot. This was pretty close to the session above (20min after) where I also tried to get the car hot and was the hottest point of the day at the end of the event. (held 2nd at higher RPM's everywhere except on the straight where I had to upshift.)
This was my personal best effort to overheat the car... lol!

I need to take a better look at my brake pads and tires, but if I'm in good shape I plan on joining you guys @ the MSR 1.7 on Aug 5th.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:36 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is some more data to compare to since we have very similar setups with small variations. (not counting the driver)
Ran at TMS over the weekend which was pretty hot and as you know its a short track.

I missed a couple laps on a few sessions for the following reasons:
-Went for 3rd on the straight and hit 1st throwing me into "reduced power mode/max speed 32mph" causing me to have to hot pit and miss a couple of laps to stop & restart the car to clear limp mode.
-Jumped into the session with my hood not latched down... had to pit and have someone latch the hood, missed 2-3 laps.
-Entered the session late 1 lap in.

On my last two sessions I purposely tried to get the car hot by just keeping it in 2nd gear and running higher RPM's, except on the straight where I had to shift up to avoid the rev limiter.
This produced my highest oil and trans temps so far. BTW what is a hot or too hot transmission temperature?
Looks like it might be time to do those wraps.

Here is a session shifting normally: (using 2nd & 3rd around the track in various areas.)

Here is a later session, again shifting normally. (using 2nd or 3rd on various areas on the track.)

Here is a session where I intentionally tried to get the car hot. (held 2nd at higher RPM's everywhere except on the straight where I had to upshift.)

Here is the final session where I intentionally tried to get the car hot. This was pretty close to the session above (20min after) where I also tried to get the car hot and was the hottest point of the day at the end of the event. (held 2nd at higher RPM's everywhere except on the straight where I had to upshift.)
This was my personal best effort to overheat the car... lol!

I need to take a better look at my brake pads and tires, but if I'm in good shape I plan on joining you guys @ the MSR 1.7 on Aug 5th.
Awesome! Although those short 10 minute session don't put too much stress on the car, still below 210 water is fantastic.

Your car is a manual right? Anything below 275 ish is fine. It's like oil and in terms of max temp.

What times were you running out there? <40? Anything sub 42 is fast. Sub 40 is flying.

I believe my friend with the zl1 1le ran 37s (3rd time there). I ran a best of 39.2 with my old z51.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-15-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:15 AM
MCK_Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes Im a M7.
Looks like my best was a 42:15, that was my first time there besides running the roval in my C5Z back in 2005.
I was struggling with what line to take in turn 6 as well. I tried a bunch of different things and always ended up sliding through that corner.

I need to learn to turn traction control down or off though. I have had the same issues @ MSR where I can't accelerate out of turns like I want to because the traction control is killing my throttle response unnecessarily.
Plenty of grip, I put the petal down and the car just makes a fluttering/jackhammer sound and doesn't go... There are many times in track mode where I floor it and the car just doesn't want to go, when I look back at the PDR video I see the TC light on the overlay where the car is stumbling when mashing the pedal and not going. I ran my best time of 2:25 on the 3.1 @ MSR in Sport 1. Im wondering if I could pick up some more time in Sport 2?
I never remembered to use the PTM modes this weekend.

Also need to also remember to at least put it in track mode before I enter the track because I ran a full session in tour mode and the other sessions I did not notice that I was back in tour mode until halfway through that session.
I wish there was a way to make it stay in track or some PTM mode after you shut the car off.

If your buddy was in the grey camo wrapped ZL1 1LE he was moving out there for sure.

Last edited by MCK_Z06; 07-16-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:16 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes Im a M7.
Looks like my best was a 42:15, that was my first time there besides running the roval in my C5Z back in 2005.
I was struggling with what line to take in turn 6 as well. I tried a bunch of different things and always ended up sliding through that corner.

I need to learn to turn traction control down or off though. I have had the same issues @ MSR where I can't accelerate out of turns like I want to because the traction control is killing my throttle response unnecessarily.
Plenty of grip, I put the petal down and the car just makes a fluttering/jackhammer sound and doesn't go... There are many times in track mode where I floor it and the car just doesn't want to go, when I look back at the PDR video I see the TC light on the overlay where the car is stumbling when mashing the pedal and not going. I ran my best time of 2:25 on the 3.1 @ MSR in Sport 1. Im wondering if I could pick up some more time in Sport 2?
I never remembered to use the PTM modes this weekend.

Also need to also remember to at least put it in track mode before I enter the track because I ran a full session in tour mode and the other sessions I did not notice that I was back in tour mode until halfway through that session.
I wish there was a way to make it stay in track or some PTM mode after you shut the car off.

If your buddy was in the grey camo wrapped ZL1 1LE he was moving out there for sure.

Yep that's him..he will be at MSR. He's a good driver. At MSR 3.1 he ran a 2:24 first driving a z06 in a stock Z06 on super sports and has ran 2:23s in a gtr and his zle. There will be a couple more c7 z06s at MSR too and some other cool cars. Should be a blast.

TMS is weird with grip. Everyone has problems there. You need to run in PTM race there to be able to get TC to stop bothering ya. Something to do with the surface. At MSR I run sport 1 and sport 2 and don't have a problem. If TC goes off in sport 2 it's usually actually spinning and losing speed.

For comparison on my z51, I ran a 1:22.5 at MSR 1.7 (z06 springs and aero) and 2:26 at MSR 3.1 (basically stock z51). I haven't ran my Z06 there yet.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-16-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:04 AM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Bruno, did you add the taller 2017+ supercharger deck lid? (forgot what its called to help with cooling).
Also, would swapping to a larger more efficient blower (not one spinning at high rpm) help with heat also? Im talking about one that fits OEM where the stock 1.7L goes, not a procharger.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:51 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by serpent
Bruno, did you add the taller 2017+ supercharger deck lid? (forgot what its called to help with cooling).
Also, would swapping to a larger more efficient blower (not one spinning at high rpm) help with heat also? Im talking about one that fits OEM where the stock 1.7L goes, not a procharger.
No and no. In WOT runs from 2nd to 4th my IAT2 doesn't really move with the new setup. Running a 2300 just to lower IAT is not cost effective. If i have misfires in Cyl 7 and 8 i'll think about the lid, otherwise it is not worth 5 hp. My first track day is 8/5/19 so i'll gather data then.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-16-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:07 AM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

No and no. In WOT runs from 2nd to 4th my IAT2 doesn't really move with the new setup. Running a 2300 just to lower IAT is not cost effective. If i have misfires in Cyl 7 and 8 i'll think about the lid, otherwise it is not worth 5 hp. My first track day is 8/5/19 so i'll gather data then.
I figured the 2.3 will not only run cooler because it isnt working as hard, but also give you more power, which would be a win/win imo.

Last edited by serpent; 07-17-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:57 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by serpent
I figured the 2.3 will not only run cooler because it isnt working as hard, but also give you more power, which would be a win/win imo.
At the same boost level it will run cooler. At a higher boost level it will likely run just as hot as the lower boost level 1.7L. Sure it's a power gain but I am not exactly starving for power.

My point is. There's better routes for cooling than going to a bigger blower.

More power is not always a win for a track car. 650 rwhp at 250°F coolant is slower than 550 rwhp at 200°F coolant due to the absurd amount of timing pulled. Extreme example.

A real world example is my 550 whp Procharged z51 was no faster than a stock z51 at 250 coolant on the straights.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:27 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

So I'll be testing this car at MSR Cresson Aug 5. Temps should be in the 90-100s.

I am a bit concerned with the oil cooler possibly being undersized. A setrab 420-14 is rated at a Max of 40,000 btu/hr while the OEM c6z oil cooler was rated at 55,000 for example. Hoping the ample coolant capacity and oil cooler position keeps oil happy indirectly.

I ran low 1:20s at this track in my z51 so I'm hoping to break into the teens with this car so it should get a good workout. It's going to be a small track day with virtually zero traffic.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-29-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:04 PM
MCK_Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

So I'll be testing this car at MSR Cresson Aug 5. Temps should be in the 90-100s.

I am a bit concerned with the oil cooler possibly being undersized. A setrab 420-14 is rated at a Max of 40,000 btu/hr while the OEM c6z oil cooler was rated at 55,000 for example. Hoping the ample coolant capacity and oil cooler position keeps oil happy indirectly.

I ran low 1:20s at this track in my z51 so I'm hoping to break into the teens with this car so it should get a good workout. It's going to be a small track day with virtually zero traffic.
Ugh, hoping to join you guys on Monday.
I broke my car at my last track event by missing the 2-3 shift at WOT.

It still runs but its down on power and randomly missing and possibly has a bent pushrod.
They were supposed to pull the top end apart this week and see if they can get it back in shape in time for Monday.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:01 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Ugh, hoping to join you guys on Monday.
I broke my car at my last track event by missing the 2-3 shift at WOT.

It still runs but its down on power and randomly missing and possibly has a bent pushrod.
They were supposed to pull the top end apart this week and see if they can get it back in shape in time for Monday.
Holy crap. Sorry to hear. Yeah don't run it if it's not certainly ok.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:29 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay guys, here's the actual results of my LG customized kit. some tags for those I know are curious. In short the results were phenomenal. @fatsport , @Dane@LGmotorsports , @badhabit_wb , @X25 :

I ran MSR Cresson, my home track today on the 1.7CCW config. This is the same track LG and Gspeed did their testing and development. Ambient temps were 92-94 *F, high humidity "feels like 100*F":

quick snapshot on my 25 minute session at 12:00 PM. There is a 2 minute break halfway through the session. I was running 1:21s to 1:23s the entire session which is a very respectable time here.

Here's the coolant/oil/trans graph for the same session:

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 08-05-2019 at 05:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrunoTheMellow:
Dane@LGmotorsports (08-05-2019), fatsport (08-06-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Bruno's Track Thread: LG Cooling + Custom Aux Rad results

Old 08-05-2019, 04:33 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Bruno what did you add? Those numbers are great!
Old 08-05-2019, 04:43 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Bruno what did you add? Those numbers are great!
post #1. This is the first time on track.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:51 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

post #1. This is the first time on track.
It's Monday. I'm retarded.

Quick Reply: Bruno's Track Thread: LG Cooling + Custom Aux Rad results