C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Cup 2 Track Wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 05:53 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Questar

It may be your “whole point” but not necessarily everyone else’s. I don’t normally run Cup 2’s on the street, I run Super Sports. They are a great street tire (for me) but didn’t stand up too well on track (for me). The Cup 2’s will work (on street), on a warm sunny dry day and I several times used them to drive to and from the track when using my trailer wasn’t an option... that’s how they got the 3,000 to 3,500 miles on them over the year and a half I used them.

Where I live the cost of slicks is high. Scrubs are unavailable. Plus of course the expense of buying a set of quality 18” wheels to mount the slicks is also high. Even if Cup 2’s don’t last quite as long as slicks it’s still cheaper and easier to buy the Cup 2’s (in my location) than to use slicks. I don’t do enough track days to justify the costs on the slicks and wheels... not the costs in my area.

What works for you may not work for everyone else... certainly it’s not the same cost structure... not for me anyway.

https://usedracingtires.com/collecti...ntal-slick-new
https://usedracingtires.com/collecti...-pirelli-slick

I bought a set of used CCW 18"s on the forum and sold them for what I got them when I no longer needed them. If you changed your usage to towing to the track now, there is almost no reason not use slicks! You can use soft or hard compounds and vary the width to suit your taste. Far more durable, far faster, and far cheaper in the longer run. I'm changing my stance to you should not use Michelins at all.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:24 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
https://usedracingtires.com/collecti...ntal-slick-new
https://usedracingtires.com/collecti...-pirelli-slick

I bought a set of used CCW 18"s on the forum and sold them for what I got them when I no longer needed them. If you changed your usage to towing to the track now, there is almost no reason not use slicks! You can use soft or hard compounds and vary the width to suit your taste. Far more durable, far faster, and far cheaper in the longer run. I'm changing my stance to you should not use Michelins at all.
since you haven’t got the slightest idea what is involved in buying and importing those items across the border, or the hassles and costs involved, you really aren’t in a position to tell me what’s “faster” or “cheaper”. But hey, keep believing you know everything. What I find most humorous is that you actually seem to believe you have the right to tell others what they should or should not do. SMH
The following users liked this post:
Lavender (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 06:35 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Good luck on track mate.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Hi Questar, is your car an M7 or an A8?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:52 PM
Questar
Pro

Originally Posted by Newton06
Hi Questar, is your car an M7 or an A8?

Thanks.
Because of knee and hip issues I can’t drive stick any longer... so A8’s
Old 08-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Questar

Because of knee and hip issues I can’t drive stick any longer... so A8’s
Thanks.

Are you happy with the overall performance of the A8 on track?

Numerous claims state it works best (very well actually) when left in D mode (i.e. driver isn't using manual paddles).

Just curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks for the pics BTW of the event you attended giving people hot laps; looked like a total blast!
Old 08-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Questar
Pro

Originally Posted by Newton06
Thanks.

Are you happy with the overall performance of the A8 on track?

Numerous claims state it works best (very well actually) when left in D mode (i.e. driver isn't using manual paddles).

Just curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks for the pics BTW of the event you attended giving people hot laps; looked like a total blast!
My Z06 last year I had no choice really, had to paddle shift and short shift otherwise the car would go into limp mode (high water temps) within 2-3 laps. This year the first thing I did was “test” it out on track in “D” mode. No limp or heat issues.

Honestly I’ve been so happy with the D mode so far (4 track days) that I haven’t experimented with paddles to see if it’s any better/worse. 99% of the time the car picks the right gear and does so faster than I would most of the time. I had a couple hiccups the first track day where the car seemed to miss the shift and momentarily bounced off the rev limiter (wide open throttle accelerating up the back straight)... but it’s never done it since so I’m not sure what caused it or if it was simply learning my driving patterns at that point still.

if there’s any improvement to be had in using the paddles I’m guessing it will be in the down shift... there are times when I’d like the downshift to come sooner (cornering), but the car waits a bit longer than I would have. On the other hand, not having to think about shifting OR do the shifting really does allow more focus on the driving... every little bit makes a difference.

Newton06 (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 04:27 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Interesting topic. I think you need to decide what you want, evaluate the options, and each options compromises, and make a choice that is good for you.

3 track days, 20 minute sessions x 4, and my Z06's front Cup 2s are pretty well done. Rears last a half again longer. They ride rough on the street. I only drive them on the street to and from the track. And leave them at home if it is less than 50 degrees or looks like it will rain.

Have a set of MPSS on another set of wheels that are for driving around (minority of miles), track on rainy/less than 50 degree days. They are more comfortable on the street, have 10-15% less dry grip but better wet grip on the track, and will get a lot more miles than the Cups ever will.

I have a set of 18" Forgelines, that will clear CCBs, and Pirelli slicks. Comfortable on the street (yes I drive them to the track when my wife can't take along in the SUV and carry the slicks), take longer to warm up than the Cups, but are noticeably stickier (in other words they cover my mistakes). Wear seems close to Cup2s so far. Cost $100-150 delivered to my door vs $400 for the Cup2s.

Big issue on the track for a beginner is "driving in the slip" as graphed in post above. The "window" is big for the MPSS, with lots of feel/audible feedback. Cup2s good but less. Slicks- you should approach the limit slowly and with confidence shall we say.

I drove with an instructor facile with the C7 platform this past weekend, and it was quite illuminating. He had me put the MPSS tires on the car. It was dry, 80 in AM, 90 in afternoon. I had him drive half a session so I could watch and record some data. There are a couple of GT3RSs in the HPDE3 group I have been running in that I run very equal with. They probably drive better than I do as I concentrate to keep up in the corners, but make it back down the straights/braking, running Cup 2s all around. With Jordan driving on MPSSs, he simply drove away without a fuss.

I am going to work more on what Jordan taught me on the MPSSs, and then go to the slicks again. At this point I don't know I will buy more Cup2s when mine wear out, and the slicks cost less (once you amortize the cost of the wheels over a year). They are a second choice to MPSS on the street, and second choice to Pirelli slicks on the track (assuming I can learn to drive the slicks near their potential). Just my thoughts relative to me. YMMV.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:22 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Sensible thing to do. Well thought out.
desmophile (08-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Cup 2 Track Wear