C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Can you improve the handling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 11:24 AM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45
I know what you are trying to say and improving the handling is a great intention but the reality is that GM has some SHARP guys when it comes to setting up a chassis for performance and they have to make sure it survives through the warranty period and meets their quality control tests. With a specialty car like the ZR1 they already push the envelope to cater to the hard-core guys that will buy the car.
An aftermarket manufacturer only has to list their suspension package or individual pieces on a website and if they don't help handling or worse yet--they break, it isn't a big deal because it is an "aftermarket" and sometimes that is par for the course. A few guys in their garage a CNC machine or tens of millions of dollars of R&D done by degreed engineers? I will go with the latter.

For a street car that was designed with bushings, I would never install rose or heim joints. It is easy to market something as an "improvement" when it often is expensive and terrible, like permanent diamond grills (teeth).
Yes the engineers at GM are sharp and engineered the car to push for safety reasons. I've never had a sway bar break and would warranty it if it did. Please explain to me how rubber bushings would in any way be better for handling.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:09 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,397 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45
I know what you are trying to say and improving the handling is a great intention but the reality is that GM has some SHARP guys when it comes to setting up a chassis for performance and they have to make sure it survives through the warranty period and meets their quality control tests. With a specialty car like the ZR1 they already push the envelope to cater to the hard-core guys that will buy the car.
An aftermarket manufacturer only has to list their suspension package or individual pieces on a website and if they don't help handling or worse yet--they break, it isn't a big deal because it is an "aftermarket" and sometimes that is par for the course. A few guys in their garage a CNC machine or tens of millions of dollars of R&D done by degreed engineers? I will go with the latter.

For a street car that was designed with bushings, I would never install rose or heim joints. It is easy to market something as an "improvement" when it often is expensive and terrible, like permanent diamond grills (teeth).
Rubber bushings is for Street ability. It is so that people don't complain about a rough or noise ride. They are in not better for the track or performance. The joints flex and there goes your alignment. If they were faster you'd see Baja-like trucks beating GTEs around LeMans.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:46 PM
d16dcoe45
Pro

Received 326 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Rubber bushings is for Street ability. It is so that people don't complain about a rough or noise ride. They are in not better for the track or performance. The joints flex and there goes your alignment. If they were faster you'd see Baja-like trucks beating GTEs around LeMans.
That is true. All I actually said was heim joints do not belong on a street car.

If you have a really well thought out suspension package that stiffens up the compliance joints, properly sized swaybars and appropriate spring rates and properly valved shocks made for a specific purpose, say HPDE days or racing, for a specific situation then I am sure it will be faster around that track.

I was just suggesting that throwing suspension parts advertised as "better" one by one and hoping they improve a supremely well tuned chassis, might not give the handling improvements you were looking for.

Last edited by d16dcoe45; 10-24-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:28 PM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

LG sway bars and end links, lower it, put your wing near zero (flat), PM me for my alignment specs...

Quick Reply: Can you improve the handling?