Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 02:26 PM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

As mentioned by someone in this post: Flippers are causing the prices, not dealerships like ours.
We have other dealers willing to pay us $10,000 over MSRP.
C8 owners have been running their cars thru auctions at prices equal to MSRP plus up to $50,000!
We have always sold Corvettes here at MSRP but every time we get an allocation the brokers come out of the wood work and want to pay MSRP so that they can flip for thousands over.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:47 PM
Eric Cahill
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 168 Posts

Dealers back in the day built relationships with local clients not only for sales but for service. Clients returned to buy new vehicles.
Today demand drives price. [period] No demand means no crazy prices, not what we have today.
$10k is not crazy consider what other dealers are doing to screw over their clients post orders and deposits. At least he was up front. Kudo's
Old 09-02-2022, 08:21 PM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

We had an available allocation today.
Sold - $5000 over MSRP
Old 09-19-2022, 04:22 PM
19Shark79
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Fichtner
As mentioned by someone in this post: Flippers are causing the prices, not dealerships like ours.
We have other dealers willing to pay us $10,000 over MSRP.
C8 owners have been running their cars thru auctions at prices equal to MSRP plus up to $50,000!
We have always sold Corvettes here at MSRP but every time we get an allocation the brokers come out of the wood work and want to pay MSRP so that they can flip for thousands over.

Ken,

Its your business, but I would say, that there are probably hundreds like myself who want the ability to put in an order for MSRP. I will gladly wait the 9-12 months or so that it takes. I know exactly what I am looking for, I know exactly what I can afford to pay but the current situation has created 2 options.

First- I can go to a dealership who is selling at MSRP and as a result the masses who do not have extra cash to just throw out the window have done and now the wait list is 2-3 yrs for a Base LT1. I tried to put in an order at a local dealership and was told It would be 25 or 26 before it arrives. Again, not a Z06. The number of dealers who are accepting MSRP is dropping which is creating even longer wait lists and now I am seeing many not even accepting orders because they probably will never be able to deliver them because who knows what 3-4 years from now even looks like.

Second- you have dealers like yourself and many others who are selling allocations for 10-20K, which like many said is very much within your right to do so but its leaving a bad taste in the mouths of those who are corvette enthusiasts and so its probably turning off the next generation of corvette buyers who are probably like me, relatively young, have a young family and can't justify spening10-20K (20-30%) over for a car that doesn't transport the family, and ultimately will fall in love with another brand and another car. The other issue you brought up is flippers, when you are selling access to allocations, you are more than likely selling to a flipper and not someone who wants the car, will keep the car, and love it like they do their other corvettes whether its a C1-C7.

Chevrolet Corvettes were the cars that kids dreamed about, they spent time tinkering on with their fathers and grandfathers, you took it to prom, you passed it down through the family. It was not meant to be an exclusive car only for the superiorly wealthy, it was a middle to upper middle class sports car, and with the C8 GM delivered on it an original MSRP of under 60K, the dealers have been the ones to wandered away from it. You cannot buy a C8 today for less than 85K and that's on the dealers. Personally, I would suggest that you and other dealers find a common ground. Create a list at MSRP, and then sell 2 at MSRP, sell access to 1 or 2, rinse and repeat. In a perfect world this selling of access would go away entirely but that's just naïve, there has to be a middle of the road solution. Eventually the interest rates and the economy is going to bring this car back down to reality to where it was meant to be the whole time, and I know I will remember which dealer was more than happy to sell me a 2021 Suburban last summer at MSRP but wanted 20K over this fall for a C8.
The following users liked this post:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (01-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Allocation available today - May 13, 2022