Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 10:19 AM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 515 Likes on 273 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by msm859
Yes. This country would be better if we had true majority rule. Of course that would mean we would get rid of the electoral collage and gerrymandering. We would have to revise the Senate so that it is proportional to population. Get rid of the filibuster - which is anti-majority. The majority of Americans are pro choice, believe in climate change, want universal healthcare and reasonable gun laws. So do you believe in majority rule?
No it would not and not even close! We are Republic for this reason because our forefathers knew better than that BS majority rule. Leave our Constitution alone!! Oh, and only one side believes there are more than 2 genders so.... OK, I'm done now.

Last edited by C7Me; 04-30-2022 at 10:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7Me:
Hunter25 (04-30-2022), pennsylvaniaron (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 10:47 AM
blueapplepaste
Pro

Received 802 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
These companies that say they will be 100% EV globally are fooling themselves. They must not travel where they sell their products. I have travel to some countries that were not 3rd world, and they cannot go all electric. I drove past many places that were lucky to have electricity. Many that did, probably have 20 amp service. The world will have ICE vehicles for a century. They maybe be motorized bikes, but they will be there. Poor people need vehicles too. So until you car produce electric cars for very cheap, or last forever, or have cheaply revitalized batteries we will have ICE cars.

Think Cuba, with few new cars coming in for decades. People still keeping cars from the 50's as their primary transportation.
People said cars would never replace horses, man would never fly, putting a man on the moon was impossible and on and on and on and on. Yet somehow we overcame all of those technical challenges and all of those things are routine.

What I find most fascinating about people arguing over EVs, are the folks arguing that because EVs aren't 100% viable now, they're not viable at all. Why any one would think that we will solve the problems of tomorrow with today's technology is baffling to me.

I agree the infrastructure and technology isn't here yet for us to even start to think of weaning ourselves off ICEs. Even in the past decade, the idea of a mass produced 300 mile range EV didn't seem realistic. Yet here we are with Tesla and others. And soon 300 miles will be 500 miles. And 30 minute charging will become 15 minute charging.

It's shocking how willing people are to underestimate our ability to innovate, despite all of the technological advances we've made as a species.
The following 3 users liked this post by blueapplepaste:
Dominic Sorresso (04-30-2022), Mister Big (04-30-2022), msm859 (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 11:38 AM
St!ngray
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 253 Likes on 164 Posts

Actually there are already 15 minutes chargers from at least 3 big players in the EV charging arena.
The following 2 users liked this post by St!ngray:
Buddhaman (04-30-2022), ShagVette (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 01:45 PM
Buddhaman
Pro

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6ZO7isme
that’s what the liberals want you to believe, AND IT IS TOTAL BS x 10….. come November, Americans will demonstrate what they think of the left.
I guess you don’t consider “the left” to be Americans? No wonder nothing gets done in Congress. If you don’t vote party line then you’re a traitor and shunned by the rest. Can’t actually work together.
The following 3 users liked this post by Buddhaman:
blueapplepaste (05-02-2022), Jerray (04-30-2022), msm859 (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 01:47 PM
Buddhaman
Pro

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by St!ngray
Actually there are already 15 minutes chargers from at least 3 big players in the EV charging arena.
And graphene batteries are starting to be produced. Faster charge times, improved energy density, and other upsides over other types.
Old 04-30-2022, 02:00 PM
ZO6ZO7isme
Racer

Received 382 Likes on 182 Posts

Let’s not split hairs, you know exactly what I meant. Nothing gets done in congress because of the progressives agenda adopted by Biden. Centrist and moderate democrats are fed up with joe and his extreme left agenda; to please folks like AOC, Bernie and Pocahontas. That wasn’t his platform when he was elected.

Read, catch up and learn; his own party is distancing themselves from him in the name of self preservation. Sooo as I stated, a November landslide will be biblical…. Ie: Extreme rejection of the left, BY A MAJORITY.
The following users liked this post:
C7Me (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 02:20 PM
GDeanBlakely
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Has to be faster than Tesla plaid

All the other big automakers are making the same mistake: They remove the piston engine and replace it with an electric motor. Tesla, on the other hand, builds EVs from the ground up with no legacy weight. For instance the BMW EV weighs a baby elephant more than it's Tesla competition. The Corvette EV will half to beat the Tesla Plaid else the Corvette will lose it's street cred.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:11 PM
CDNZR
Drifting

Received 409 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod1967
I can't tell any difference, but of course it's a mini van not a sports car. The batteries are beneath the central floor so theoretically the center of gravity is lower. What I like best is the AWD reactive braking. The energy goes into the batteries rather than being wasted as heat. Kinda weird but in my old one I was always trying to minimize braking in an effort to reduce fuel consumption. I don't worry about that now. Reports of 100k miles before needing brake pads is cool too.
I rented a Sienna a few years back on the west coast. The brakes had started to fade after blasting around some curves through the mountains at 85 mph. This regenerative braking would have been helpful for brakes pads. lol.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:17 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,008 Likes on 4,335 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by blueapplepaste
People said cars would never replace horses, man would never fly, putting a man on the moon was impossible and on and on and on and on. Yet somehow we overcame all of those technical challenges and all of those things are routine.

What I find most fascinating about people arguing over EVs, are the folks arguing that because EVs aren't 100% viable now, they're not viable at all. Why any one would think that we will solve the problems of tomorrow with today's technology is baffling to me.

I agree the infrastructure and technology isn't here yet for us to even start to think of weaning ourselves off ICEs. Even in the past decade, the idea of a mass produced 300 mile range EV didn't seem realistic. Yet here we are with Tesla and others. And soon 300 miles will be 500 miles. And 30 minute charging will become 15 minute charging.

It's shocking how willing people are to underestimate our ability to innovate, despite all of the technological advances we've made as a species.
The problem is when you have these states passing measures banning ICE vehicle sales and registration in a relatively short amount of time when there is absolutely no way they're going to have infrastructure to support their measures. I just read an article about Washington State banning the sale and registration of any ICE vehicles starting with 2030 model year vehicles. States can't even fix pot holes in their highways in 7 years, let alone create in EV infrastructure.

Originally Posted by Buddhaman
I guess you don’t consider “the left” to be Americans? No wonder nothing gets done in Congress. If you don’t vote party line then you’re a traitor and shunned by the rest. Can’t actually work together.
Most people who use "left" "right", "liberal" "conservative" have no idea what agendas or policy beliefs actually fall under those terms. They also can't tell you what the individuals they support actually support and/or vote for. They just repeat cliches they hear on their news channel of choice.
blueapplepaste (05-02-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 03:17 PM
CDNZR
Drifting

Originally Posted by GDeanBlakely
All the other big automakers are making the same mistake: They remove the piston engine and replace it with an electric motor. Tesla, on the other hand, builds EVs from the ground up with no legacy weight. For instance the BMW EV weighs a baby elephant more than it's Tesla competition. The Corvette EV will half to beat the Tesla Plaid else the Corvette will lose it's street cred.
Not necessarily if it has less hp then the Plaid. I believe your statement is true if it is rated at the same hp as the Plaid but is slower then the Plaid. In straight line performance.
In the same senerial when you put a Hell Cat up against the Stingray 0-100+. No chance for the Stingray.

Last edited by CDNZR; 04-30-2022 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:19 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by St!ngray
Show me even one car that charges from 0% to 100% in 15 minutes.

Old 04-30-2022, 03:37 PM
VetteHalen5150
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Show me even one car that charges from 0% to 100% in 15 minutes.
I agree with this. Until the charging time is close to the amount of time it takes to fill the tank with gas, the majority of the public will NOT want an EV. EV's are popular now, but only with early adopters and young drivers (who grew up with Smartphones). EV's will not replace ICE cars until the infrastructure has increased 1000 times and the charging is near instant. This notion that EV companies sell about leaving your car at the charger while you 'go shopping' is bunk! Most people don't have the time to wait 30 minutes every time they need a charge and this is a major hang up point (not to mention that the current non-Telsa chargers are either broken or very slow most of the time). Now for us enthusiasts, I will be driving an ICE car for as long as they are available since I think EV's are just glorified golf carts. Nothing beats the anticipation of starting a car like the Corvette and hearing it roar to life!
Hunter25 (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 04:01 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 998 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteHalen5150
I agree with this. Until the charging time is close to the amount of time it takes to fill the tank with gas, the majority of the public will NOT want an EV. EV's are popular now, but only with early adopters and young drivers (who grew up with Smartphones). EV's will not replace ICE cars until the infrastructure has increased 1000 times and the charging is near instant. This notion that EV companies sell about leaving your car at the charger while you 'go shopping' is bunk! Most people don't have the time to wait 30 minutes every time they need a charge and this is a major hang up point (not to mention that the current non-Telsa chargers are either broken or very slow most of the time). Now for us enthusiasts, I will be driving an ICE car for as long as they are available since I think EV's are just glorified golf carts. Nothing beats the anticipation of starting a car like the Corvette and hearing it roar to life!
Not true. As soon as EV's reach price parity with their ICE counterpart, the majority of the public will buy the EV. With an EV you have the opportunity to wake up every morning with a full charge - happens while you sleep. You do not need to "charge" as quickly as filling a tank with gas. The only time charging speed even matters is if you are going on a trip over 200 miles - statistically not that often. The rest of the year you are saving a whole lot of time not visiting gas stations getting oil changes and all the other maintenance that goes along with an ICE vehicle. As to infrastructure, can't speak as to the rest of the country, but California is pretty good now.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:24 PM
VetteHalen5150
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 83 Posts

Not true. As soon as EV's reach price parity with their ICE counterpart, the majority of the public will buy the EV. With an EV you have the opportunity to wake up every morning with a full charge - happens while you sleep. You do not need to "charge" as quickly as filling a tank with gas. The only time charging speed even matters is if you are going on a trip over 200 miles - statistically not that often. The rest of the year you are saving a whole lot of time not visiting gas stations getting oil changes and all the other maintenance that goes along with an ICE vehicle. As to infrastructure, can't speak as to the rest of the country, but California is pretty good now.
Yes, overnight charging is a must, but if you need to charge on the road, it is a major hassle (at least in my area of the country). I'm not convinced of the benefits of EV's yet regarding lower maintenance costs since we don't know the life span of the electric motors and batteries yet. I agree that once EV's come down in price, and the infrastructure gets better, they will be adopted more by the masses. BUT, I still think that ICE cars will always be much more FUN for enthusiasts to drive because of the anticipation, noise and build up of internal combustion engines. I don't look forward to the day when I'm forced to drive an EV for 'fun'...
Old 04-30-2022, 04:43 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhaman
PLEASE name 1 thing the Liberals have done to help work with the right to get something passed or help us move forward?

ESPECIALLY with the last administration, the left has lost their ability to compromise or do anything to help us as Americans. Don't blame the right, when it is clearly the left that has failed...

PLEASE attempt to prove me wrong, I am a big boy and can take responsibility for my short comings...
Old 04-30-2022, 08:30 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 978 Likes on 533 Posts

Time to close this thread and start another one about Corvettes. Thank you.
The following 5 users liked this post by 2cnd Chance:
2slow2speed (05-01-2022), ATC399 (05-01-2022), Hunter25 (04-30-2022), Jerray (05-01-2022), JockItch (05-01-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 11:21 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Well you were the one who first posed the question as to should the majority have a say. Now should they be able to "abuse" the minority - no. One party has always said they are for small government, freedom of choice and personal responsibility, yet they are the one's who want to control what a woman does with her body - that is none of what they supposedly stand for. Not sure what I said was vague. As to your poll, I would suggest this forum is not exactly representative of the buying public. However, it will be interesting in @ 18 months (hopefully) when both are being produced and sold to see what the real difference in demand is. The ultimate for me would be for them to take the Z06 and add twin 83 hp+ electric motors up front, PHEV with a 10kWh + battery. I think that would be a better way to solve the low end torque concern with the FPC motor.
I was asking about majority rule as it seems more people want a LT6 over a LT2 hybrid, yet we’re getting rid of ICE and going EV. EV may work in many cases, but I’m not sure for the majority. Maybe it will one day, but it seems the cart is being put ahead of the horse with the discontinuation of ICE already on the table and I predict there will be a rather large minority that will just have to deal. I think they should build both and see which is more popular. It’s human nature to take the path of least resistance, so I believe EV has to be more convenient than ICE not just the same price. Of course you can manipulate the price of fuel to sway people and in the name of climate change(which is constantly changing?) you can do even more to steer the direction of the market to guarantee profits which is what I truly believe the movement is about. As far as it’s a woman’s body she can do what she wants, that’s debatable on when the baby is a life of its own and how it was even created. Obviously it took a man’s sperm, so I personally think he should have a say as well being it’s half his and that’s teaching responsibility. Though it sounds like you’re open to abortion up until 9 months and it’s only the woman’s decision whether she wants to have his baby?

Get notified of new replies

To Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette

Old 05-01-2022, 12:18 AM
Jerray
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
Time to close this thread and start another one about Corvettes. Thank you.
Agreed! This isn't Facebook.

​​​​​​Back on topic, the hybrid Vette is pretty awesome in my humble opinion. V8 pushrod engine for that American muscle, wide body and AWD for possibly a low 2 second 0-60. My only concern would be the degrading of the battery and the costly replacement down the road.

Aside from that a full EV Corvette is where I draw the line and personally wouldn't touch one with a stick.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:38 AM
Rod1967
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNZR
Not necessarily if it has less hp then the Plaid. I believe your statement is true if it is rated at the same hp as the Plaid but is slower then the Plaid. In straight line performance.
In the same senerial when you put a Hell Cat up against the Stingray 0-100+. No chance for the Stingray.
"0-100+. No chance for the Stingray"??
Might want to check this out -
msm859 (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 07:26 AM
CDNZR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rod1967
"0-100+. No chance for the Stingray"??
Might want to check this out -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ri2-WMxJkg
On the street the C8 has the advantage but on a prepped track it goes to the Dodge. We are both correct.

​​​​

Quick Reply: Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette