Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 08:31 AM
rodgard
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Show me even one car that charges from 0% to 100% in 15 minutes.
Why would that even be necessary (and like your iPhone, you don't want to charge to 100% except for long trips from a battery life perspective)? I drive a Telsa Model 3 and the new 250kw Tesla chargers (technology marches forward) are just that quick. So for example - I left VA on a full charge (325 miles) recently heading home to NJ (abt 365 miles). After driving 200 miles (165 miles to home), I stop to charge, but I don't need to charge back up 100% to 325 miles as I have a charger at home. In this example, I have 125 miles of range remaining when I stop to charge, but I am only 165 miles from home, so I top up to 200 and off I go (so by the time I go to the bathroom and get some water the car is pinging me saying let's go LOL). When I get home, I plug in to my home charger and when I wake up the range in back up to my daily top off 275 miles (my daily commute is abt 15 miles roundtrip).
I admit that the same trip in my C8 may not even require a stop, but I can't drive 7 hours straight (nature will call), so what we a discussing here on a 7 hr journey is the delta between a 5 min ICE pit stop vs a 15 min EV stop?
The following users liked this post:
msm859 (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 08:50 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,096 Likes on 4,374 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by rodgard
Why would that even be necessary (and like your iPhone, you don't want to charge to 100% except for long trips from a battery life perspective)? I drive a Telsa Model 3 and the new 250kw Tesla chargers (technology marches forward) are just that quick. So for example - I left VA on a full charge (325 miles) recently heading home to NJ (abt 365 miles). After driving 200 miles (165 miles to home), I stop to charge, but I don't need to charge back up 100% to 325 miles as I have a charger at home. In this example, I have 125 miles of range remaining when I stop to charge, but I am only 165 miles from home, so I top up to 200 and off I go (so by the time I go to the bathroom and get some water the car is pinging me saying let's go LOL). When I get home, I plug in to my home charger and when I wake up the range in back up to my daily top off 275 miles (my daily commute is abt 15 miles roundtrip).
I admit that the same trip in my C8 may not even require a stop, but I can't drive 7 hours straight (nature will call), so what we a discussing here on a 7 hr journey is the delta between a 5 min ICE pit stop vs a 15 min EV stop?
In this example you’re only going from point A to point B & you’re done for the night. Let’s say I have to drive from San Antonio to Dallas, and when I get to Dallas I need to load up my kids to take them to their respective activities, then I need to hit the grocery store, pick up the kids, and run a couple more errands before heading home for the evening.

Can’t make it from SA to Dallas on one charge & have a schedule to keep when I get to Dallas, just can’t plug in the car & say everything has to wait. All of the above can easily be done on a full tank of gas with no stops.

Or I can make it from Dallas to Chicago only needing to stop for gas twice. How many times, and how much extra time would that add to my trip?
Old 05-01-2022, 08:51 AM
rodgard
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jerray
agreed! This isn't facebook.

​​​​​​back on topic, the hybrid vette is pretty awesome in my humble opinion. V8 pushrod engine for that american muscle, wide body and awd for possibly a low 2 second 0-60. My only concern would be the degrading of the battery and the costly replacement down the road.

Aside from that a full ev corvette is where i draw the line and personally wouldn't touch one with a stick.
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance
time to close this thread and start another one about corvettes. Thank you.
thank you!
The following 2 users liked this post by rodgard:
2cnd Chance (05-01-2022), Jerray (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 10:09 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Does the range estimator take into account wind direction? I.E. if you had a tailwind the first half and then hit a front halfway and all the sudden have a headwind your range is going to drop drastically. I suppose you can always slow down to lessen the aero drag and go further as there’s no variable efficiency range with an EV it’s just the slower you go the less power you use as it mimics aero drag right?
Old 05-01-2022, 11:15 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
In this example you’re only going from point A to point B & you’re done for the night. Let’s say I have to drive from San Antonio to Dallas, and when I get to Dallas I need to load up my kids to take them to their respective activities, then I need to hit the grocery store, pick up the kids, and run a couple more errands before heading home for the evening.

Can’t make it from SA to Dallas on one charge & have a schedule to keep when I get to Dallas, just can’t plug in the car & say everything has to wait. All of the above can easily be done on a full tank of gas with no stops.

Or I can make it from Dallas to Chicago only needing to stop for gas twice. How many times, and how much extra time would that add to my trip?

This is why when I was in the market for a Tesla and started researching the grid, etc......I bought a MB E350.
Michael A (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 12:05 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,257 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Does the range estimator take into account wind direction? I.E. if you had a tailwind the first half and then hit a front halfway and all the sudden have a headwind your range is going to drop drastically. I suppose you can always slow down to lessen the aero drag and go further as there’s no variable efficiency range with an EV it’s just the slower you go the less power you use as it mimics aero drag right?
How about us up here in the north land where it gets below zero for days on end, heater and defroster on high to keep ice and snow off windows. How much range will that take from the batteries?
Old 05-01-2022, 12:10 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 395 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
How about us up here in the north land where it gets below zero for days on end, heater and defroster on high to keep ice and snow off windows. How much range will that take from the batteries?
C'mon Man... Its the new world...

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-01-2022, 01:01 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 3,018 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Here we go again. The EV people trying to convince us that we need to babysit our cars.

Take a long trip in an EV, and it will take 25% longer to get there. If it is cold or hot out, it will take even longer. Some places will take even longer if you are off the interstate. Some you won't even be able to go to. There's no electricity is some rural areas of the country. You know, the kind of roads that are really fun in a Corvette.

The woke government, the woke auto companies, and the woke EV nuts are way overestimating the public's tolerance for long charging times. You watch.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:26 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 999 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT

Are these really common occurrences for you? If so, then maybe EV's are not for you at this time. I have not driven more than 500 miles in a singe day in probably 20 years. You would actually drive Dallas to Chicago and not fly? And you missed what the OP was trying to say by their real world experience. When traveling long distance, virtually NO one charges to 100%. So measuring that time - which is only done to skew the total length since the last 20% really slows down - is a false narrative. The new Tesla Plaids will actually charge at full speed just past 30% - this is big. If they can sustain that up to 50% it will be driving another nail in the concern for charging speed. Likewise as range increases the importance of charging speed decreases - and visa versa. Too many people want to talk about these statistic outlier cases to argue EV's aren't for prime time. But in the real world with normal use, they are ready for more people then one would suggest. Do I want more range- yes - I want over 400 miles . Do I want faster charging - yes -sustained full speed up to 50%. After that happens it will be pretty much a non issue 99.99% of the time. For me now, it is a non issue 95% of the time. And overall I am spending less time charging then I would be gassing up an ICE in a year.

Last edited by msm859; 05-01-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:49 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 871 Likes on 542 Posts

Comparably priced Corvette and Tesla Model S

Cost to drive 25 miles:

Corvette -- $6.36

Tesla -- $0.92

Massive operating cost difference -- 7X -- is going to doom ICE vehicles.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:55 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Comparably priced Corvette and Tesla Model S

Cost to drive 25 miles:

Corvette -- $6.36

Tesla -- $0.92

Massive operating cost difference -- 7X -- is going to doom ICE vehicles.
Care to post how you come up with those figures or if you're figuring in the cost of replacing the battery?
Old 05-01-2022, 02:58 PM
HandOverFist
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

It will be alright...you folks can always download some sounds and play them on the speakers while driving...

msm859 (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 03:04 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 871 Likes on 542 Posts

Care to post how you come up with those figures or if you're figuring in the cost of replacing the battery?
Fueleconomy.gov

How often do I have to replace the battery?
Old 05-01-2022, 03:08 PM
HandOverFist
Banned Scam/Spammer

If I ever have to go electric I would much rather have something like this...

msm859 (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 03:09 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Fueleconomy.gov

How often do I have to replace the battery?
I have read 7 to 10 years, it's a delayed expense people like to ignore.
Michael A (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 03:19 PM
HandOverFist
Banned Scam/Spammer

Maybe the tire manufacturers can come up with an acoustical tread pattern that simulates that engine growl...
Old 05-01-2022, 03:33 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,515 Likes on 823 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Isn't the cost of the replacement battery gonna be more than what the car is worth at that time?
Michael A (05-01-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette

Old 05-01-2022, 03:39 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Isn't the cost of the replacement battery gonna be more than what the car is worth at that time?
I have read the the average price for a battery is around 10k, so it's coming off the price of a used car unless the buyer is an idiot.
Mad*Max (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 03:41 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 999 Likes on 577 Posts

Actually it is more of a mileage thing then a time thing. Somewhere between 300,000 - 500,000 miles. Or in other words an academic question for 99% of the buyers out there.

https://getoptiwatt.com/blog/how-lon...ry-really-last
Old 05-01-2022, 03:53 PM
HandOverFist
Banned Scam/Spammer

One can generally measure battery life by mileage or time, but it is actually cycles that determine it's lifespan. There are some exceptions.
The following 2 users liked this post by HandOverFist:
msm859 (05-01-2022), PRE-Z06 (05-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette