Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Spy Photos of GM's Mid-Engine Supercar - Sept 12, 2016

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 05:25 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by 16sedanSS
You're a smart guy, and you own some incredible cars.
So, you should know everything is relative, including price.

Yes, the C7 prices are definitely inflated compared to what I paid for my brand new C5 and C6s.

As far as the clueless remark, there are many clueless posters around here, but I'm not one of them.

Let's just both agree to disagree so we don't take this thread off topic.
I'm guessing you say the C6 and C7 are the same because you care not about any of the interior bits or electronics as there is no question the C7 is better.

What I don't understand is how you can dismiss Direct Injection, updated Transmissions, Gen 3 MR shocks (C6 had Gen 1), EPS (over hydraulic steering), fixed mounted brake calipers (base C6 had sliding), the eLSD on Z51's, etc. even if the chassis and hard points are identical the fact it uses so many upgraded parts is hard to ignore.

The mid-engine will have all these things as well, the only updates would be a DCT. You can't disregard an entire car because it doesn't have a DCT.

I don't even really like the exterior design of the C7 but I got one because day to day the interior is more livable and has 2014 not 2004 electronics. You honestly just confuse me, you don't really have logic.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:27 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
The C7 has a lot more goodies than the C5 and C6 and is definitely not inflated. You're nuts.

And please tell me you arent trying to speak for all of us 'clueless' buyers about the benefits of a mid engine car and why we should want Corvette to go that route?
People would be surprised to know the median cost of a new car is $33k. 15 years ago it was much less. The C7 is priced at a steal. I have this argument with my dad he thinks cars should cost $20k not $30k "on average" (he means median)
Old 09-17-2016, 06:02 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
I have this argument with my dad he thinks cars should cost $20k not $30k "on average" (he means median)
LOL, same here.
Also, a loaf of bread should still be a nickel.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:06 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
No one cares what you think of the tail lights.
I do.....
So what now Einstein?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:49 PM
16sedanSS
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm guessing you say the C6 and C7 are the same because you care not about any of the interior bits or electronics as there is no question the C7 is better.

What I don't understand is how you can dismiss Direct Injection, updated Transmissions, Gen 3 MR shocks (C6 had Gen 1), EPS (over hydraulic steering), fixed mounted brake calipers (base C6 had sliding), the eLSD on Z51's, etc. even if the chassis and hard points are identical the fact it uses so many upgraded parts is hard to ignore.

The mid-engine will have all these things as well, the only updates would be a DCT. You can't disregard an entire car because it doesn't have a DCT.

I don't even really like the exterior design of the C7 but I got one because day to day the interior is more livable and has 2014 not 2004 electronics. You honestly just confuse me, you don't really have logic.
I think we all agree the $60k+ C7 Z51 is an improvement over a C6 Z51.
However, the improvements do NOT justify the price increase over my C6.

I would GLADLY give GM my $60k tomorrow for C8 Corvette with a mid engine LT1 and DCT.
I would also GLADLY pay an extra $4,xxx for AWD too.

GM should offer the same in a sedan as well.
I would trade BOTH my C6 and SS Sedan stickshifts for one of each.

Last edited by 16sedanSS; 09-17-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:57 PM
16sedanSS
Instructor

us 'clueless'
I agree 100% with your self assessment.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:18 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Obviously. These are the buyers that are willing to accept those terrible torque converter transmissions.
But, even these clueless buyers see the benefits of a mid engine car, even it it's just for bragging rights and that "mid engine cars look cool like Ferraris".

I hear what you're saying, but considering the Corvette still is a sports coupe, the utility argument only goes so far.
Ummm, I don't think so. I talked to. 70 year old gentleman today in a Stingray convertible who started to disagree with me when I referred to his car as a C7, and he was not sure of the horsepower of the car. And you think he understands the benefits and bragging rights of mid-engine. And I have a friend who bought one of the early C4 ZR-1s....he took my friend for a ride and said "hear the supercharger?" And that was a guy who raced Offshore power boats.

I think you don't grasp the typical buyer at all
Old 09-17-2016, 09:22 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

I would GLADLY give GM my $60k tomorrow for C8 Corvette with a mid engine LT1 and DCT.

I dunno adjusted for inflation my C6 would cost $68k today (I had a 4LT), my C7 was $81k (all these MSRP values, not what I paid as I get GM Employee discount thru my family). That's an increase of $13k. I'd say the interior stuff is worth $6k alone, and the mechanical upgrades are worth at least $4. I also got additional types of options I couldn't get like stripes (those were $1k). All in all I feel that the pricing was within $2k of my C6. Not a big deal, but then again I usually buy cars loaded.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:26 PM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Everyone is speculating what the mid engine design could possibly look like and now we are starting to see these mules for testing. Why are we not looking at the prototype versions racing every weekend. I personally love the lines on the car below and would destroy the looks of the Ford GT.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:56 PM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

I don't recall the exact article, but there was a analysis of cost for each version of the Corvette adjusted for inflation over time. The C7 is actually slightly less expensive than the C6. The article mentioned that the largest price increase was from the C3 to the C4 with the introduction of several upgrades such as anti-lock brakes and fuel injection.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:56 PM
16sedanSS
Instructor

I dunno adjusted for inflation my C6 would cost $68k today (I had a 4LT), my C7 was $81k (all these MSRP values, not what I paid as I get GM Employee discount thru my family). That's an increase of $13k. I'd say the interior stuff is worth $6k alone, and the mechanical upgrades are worth at least $4. I also got additional types of options I couldn't get like stripes (those were $1k). All in all I feel that the pricing was within $2k of my C6. Not a big deal, but then again I usually buy cars loaded.
I humbly, and politely, disagree.

I bought my C6 Z51 brand new for $41k.
The sticker on the C7 Z51 is almost $61k.
I'm sorry, but I call BS on inflation and all the arguments that justify the current prices..

Yes, the C7 Z51 has much more included, but the C7 requires the Z51 to get the very things that make the C7 upgrade over a C6 worth considering

I humbly suggest we all agree to disagree and stick to the thread title.
Feel free to start another thread, or blow up my PM box.

Last edited by 16sedanSS; 09-17-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:07 AM
16sedanSS
Instructor

Originally Posted by jschindler
Ummm, I don't think so. I talked to. 70 year old gentleman today in a Stingray convertible who started to disagree with me when I referred to his car as a C7, and he was not sure of the horsepower of the car. And you think he understands the benefits and bragging rights of mid-engine. And I have a friend who bought one of the early C4 ZR-1s....he took my friend for a ride and said "hear the supercharger?" And that was a guy who raced Offshore power boats.

I think you don't grasp the typical buyer at all
I think I do.
Plainly stated, the average consumer today is a Fing moron.
I agree with you.

These same morons regurgitate verbatim everything that GM marketing prints. So, you KNOW the marketing department will dumb down, and hype up, the feature added benefits of a mid engine Corvette
The average consumer might not grasp the E-diff and direct injection, but even the trailer trash/waxer crowd will understand and appreciate the move to mid engine.

As a educated Corvette owner, it will be nice to see GM marketing actually having something worthy of the marketing hype for a change.

Last edited by 16sedanSS; 09-18-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:40 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

I agree 100% with your self assessment.
The only clueless person here is you, and you're too damn stubborn to see it.

You will not be finding a new Corvette with Mid-engine and dct for 60k. It will not happen. All the wishing in the world won't happen.

When the C7 was introduced, it was a very, very modest increase over the 2013 C6. The price has been slowly increasing through the last 3 years. There isnt another car on the market that offers what the Corvette does, at the price point it is at. It literallly is the bargain Sports Car of the century.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:32 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Each generation car cant be a huge step up in every single way.

What draws me to the c7 is the performance, and the styling of the car. Its truly one of the best looking cars on the road.

I would get rid of a C6 corvette just for the pure fact its not the current model.

All I ask for is a fun, fast, flashy car... like most corvette owners. You just dont understand the corvette market.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 09-18-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:16 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by h3mpking
Everyone is speculating what the mid engine design could possibly look like and now we are starting to see these mules for testing. Why are we not looking at the prototype versions racing every weekend. I personally love the lines on the car below and would destroy the looks of the Ford GT.

I agree - the Corvette DP prototypes are beautiful, and should be the model for the C8. The only difference would be a wider cabin. They are also fast, and can handle a small-block V8 in the **** and NOT look like a cockroach (my opinion of the Lamborghini look).

The McLarens are also cockroach / coyote ugly. Don't get me started on the new Ford GT - so many angles and flying buttresses, the designer must have been a Tomothy Leary acid tragedy. IMHO, the best looking mid-engine ever made was the Ferrari 458. The 488 is a small step backwards, but still attractive. The next best was the late-great Lamborghini Miuri. Everything else looks like $hit.

There is something about the Ferrari 250 GTO that lives on in the C7 that no mid-engine car has ever equaled. Oh well, change is inevitable.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:06 AM
16sedanSS
Instructor

The only clueless person here is you, and you're too damn stubborn to see it.

You will not be finding a new Corvette with Mid-engine and dct for 60k. It will not happen. All the wishing in the world won't happen.

When the C7 was introduced, it was a very, very modest increase over the 2013 C6. The price has been slowly increasing through the last 3 years. There isnt another car on the market that offers what the Corvette does, at the price point it is at. It literallly is the bargain Sports Car of the century.
Yet, Porsche has been selling a mid-engine sports car with dct under $60k for years.
And, they're not reusing mass production truck parts, either
Cluelessness and fanboysim is strong, and rampant.

There's no "wishing".
GM will either do it , or I'll move on to another manufacturer.

I skipped the C7 generation and gave GM the C8 to catch up.
Based on the leaks that this thread is based on, I'm hopeful.

Last edited by 16sedanSS; 09-18-2016 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:29 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
I do.....
So what now Einstein?
Props to you. It takes guts to consider yourself a "nobody".

Get notified of new replies

To New Spy Photos of GM's Mid-Engine Supercar - Sept 12, 2016

Old 09-18-2016, 06:31 AM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Ahhh,so, YOU'RE the "nobody" that cares. Got it.
it's not just the taillights, it's the overall rear design. about 20 percent of the people that i talk to in the under 30 crowd that aren't corvette junkies don't like the rear design and won't buy one because of it. most who don't like it, really don't like it.

there is nothing to argue about. you can love it; others can dislike it. it's just personal taste.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:48 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by senah
it's not just the taillights, it's the overall rear design. about 20 percent of the people that i talk to in the under 30 crowd that aren't corvette junkies don't like the rear design and won't buy one because of it. most who don't like it, really don't like it.

there is nothing to argue about. you can love it; others can dislike it. it's just personal taste.
I see, so in other words, you're saying we're entitled to our own opinion and it shouldn't matter to anyone that there are differing opinions.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:06 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

I would GLADLY give GM my $60k tomorrow for C8 Corvette with a mid engine LT1 and DCT
Keep dreaming...everyone wants a quarter for a dime but only want to pay a nickel.

Quick Reply: New Spy Photos of GM's Mid-Engine Supercar - Sept 12, 2016