Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is it called a C8 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 08:00 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Why is it called a C8 ?

The only known facts I have read for the 2018 is wheel sizes and body color/ trim changes / options. Nothing mentioned about the exterior body updates and probably last years engine specs except for the high performance option. In the past radical body changes signified number additions. With so many rumors / opinions / forecasts floating around has anyone got the hard facts of the main differences from 2017 to 2018 ?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:04 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

The 2018 is a C7, not a C8.

You will probably get more answers in the C7 section.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:50 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I am reminded, probably like others, all the hoopla about the mid engine car and projections of what might and might not be true in the coming production days.
In my opinion the GM spokespersons have done an extremely poor job of casting a shadow of the future Corvette by letting the magazine editors run wild with hopes and dreams. Why can't they update information periodically ? Its a car, not a myth. Tens of thousands of owners are interested. Many are turned off by the " soap story " details that change so frequently. I would like to be able to see factual information on the car I plan to purchase. Development details, testing, and road reports from a RELIABLE SOURCE, ... GM
As a side note. I don't care how many million they spend on their paint facility. The shame on some past production vehicles should have prompted a change long ago. Maybe they checked a twenty k foreign car for paint quality and finally put a plan in action.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:24 AM
hifi875
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I live here in Bowling Green and its a well kept secret for sure. When I ask any of the employess they just look at me and smile.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:45 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
I am reminded, probably like others, all the hoopla about the mid engine car and projections of what might and might not be true in the coming production days.
In my opinion the GM spokespersons have done an extremely poor job of casting a shadow of the future Corvette by letting the magazine editors run wild with hopes and dreams. Why can't they update information periodically ? Its a car, not a myth. Tens of thousands of owners are interested. Many are turned off by the " soap story " details that change so frequently. I would like to be able to see factual information on the car I plan to purchase. Development details, testing, and road reports from a RELIABLE SOURCE, ... GM
As a side note. I don't care how many million they spend on their paint facility. The shame on some past production vehicles should have prompted a change long ago. Maybe they checked a twenty k foreign car for paint quality and finally put a plan in action.
1) Clearly the addition at Bowling Green is much more than a paint facility--it is almost as big as the existing plant. The paint shop story is a cover.

2) Just saw a new M-B yesterday with lots of orange peel. The new waterborne paints are giving everyone fits.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:31 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

It's called a C8 because it's supposed to have 10 cylinders but you can only SEE EIGHT !:ro fl:
Old 05-13-2017, 10:26 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

8 comes after 7.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:40 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by jrs 427
Sorry, but you're missing the point. Corvette gets more free publicity than any other US brand, and possibly any foreign brand from all the speculation created by car mags. The LAST thing Corvette wants to do is follow your advice and issue statements, thus killing all the speculation and free advertisements. They will hold onto the ME car until they're ready to release it. Until then, they will keep it close to the vest and let all the car mags provide tons of free publicity.
Look at the C7, ZR1. They did a terrible job of "hiding" it from the press, you know, like slowing down on the highway to let the spy cams get a good photo. Still, no weekly press releases about it from Corvette. Why? They know that the free press from the mags is worth a fortune.
Why do the magazines participate in this? Because any new model Corvette when splashed on the cover sells magazines and they're all about circulation.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:46 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Exactly!

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Sorry, but you're missing the point. Corvette gets more free publicity than any other US brand, and possibly any foreign brand from all the speculation created by car mags. The LAST thing Corvette wants to do is follow your advice and issue statements, thus killing all the speculation and free advertisements. They will hold onto the ME car until they're ready to release it. Until then, they will keep it close to the vest and let all the car mags provide tons of free publicity.
Look at the C7, ZR1. They did a terrible job of "hiding" it from the press, you know, like slowing down on the highway to let the spy cams get a good photo. Still, no weekly press releases about it from Corvette. Why? They know that the free press from the mags is worth a fortune.
Why do the magazines participate in this? Because any new model Corvette when splashed on the cover sells magazines and they're all about circulation.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,662 Likes on 6,657 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
It's all about free publicity. However the C6 was essentially dead so all the hype for the C7 was needed to get folks interested in the new model with little risk of slowing C6 alreay declined sales.

Not so with the C7! Looks like we'll have a C7 until 2020?!?

From the speculation there will be a Cadillac mid engine first probably at a significantly higher price and perhaps in 2019 (or maybe even a mid/late year 2018.)

Then a year (or two) later a less featured, lower cost (lower NOT low) Chevy version. My guess, to help justify the higher Caddy price it will have some features a few Vette owners ask about (not me!)

Can see a very high end stereo (easy to add) and extra insulation so you can hear it! Maybe all the goodies requested like blind spot detection, lane detection, auto braking etc, then back to good old Bose and fewer unnecessary electronic gadgets for the Chevy version. Probably a somewhat stripped down racing version with cup tires etc!

Too much free hype now will slow C7 sales further!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-23-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is it called a C8 ?

Quick Reply: Why is it called a C8 ?